Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

South African Alox Soldier Question

us Offline Joe58

South African Alox Soldier Question
on: December 13, 2015, 10:29:05 PM
Hey guys -

I've been kinda watching for one of the older silver alox South African soldiers, the one with the stock number on the panel, but they don't come up too often. It's a model missing from my small alox herd.

I'm just wondering what the consensus is on prices for these. I ask as I noticed one on the 'bay today for $60 and the main blade is about 50% gone from sharpening with a fair amount of scale wear. So I'm not sure, myself anyway, if I'd call it in fair condition. Just barely perhaps.

I know here in the last couple years alox has joined the precious metals commodity trading boards, but that just seems high for one that worn.

So as I haven't paid too close attention here lately, about what am I looking at for a fair price for one in good condition.

Thanks!

Joe

***It occurred to me that perhaps the seller of this piece may be a member here, if so, and I offended, please accept my apologies. I've attached a pic of the model of knife that I've been casually watching for. I do not wish to ID this particular seller on the forum as I don't know them, and as I mentioned, I've no wish to be a smart a@@ as sometimes it's hard to judge mood/motive just reading text.
 :oops:

image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 308.98 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 27.39 KB)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:50:54 PM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: South African Alox Soldier Question
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:45:39 AM
I'm also interested in picking up a South African SAK. Was looking at that one on ebay and quickly decided it was too rough for the collection. Its the sort of thing that would irritate me every time I looked at it.

If you do decide to go for it, good luck!

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 06:54:29 AM
The prices have taken off a little over the last 6 months.
One went on a local auction site for $80 recently and this seems to be the going rate at the moment.
Considering that was local in ZAR it could mean even more in the USA or Europe with shipping.

I have seen that one and would wait for a better example; but if you want a temporary gap filler?
They are becoming rare but not impossible to find; saying that it tool me a few months to locate one for myself.
When you see one you like, jump!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:56:16 AM by shark_za »

us Offline Joe58

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:34:14 AM
Thanks guys - I suspect you're correct in that a cleaner model will run higher in part to more people looking for these, and that they're getting more and more scarce. And I had not accounted for shipping as well.

But that's also part of the fun. Chasing down those particular models you'd like to add to your collection.

Appreciate the replies!  :salute:
🇨🇭

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75