Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Marlinspike / Sailors knives

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Marlinspike / Sailors knives
on: December 15, 2014, 01:30:12 PM
Hi all, with my new job at a marina I am looking at purchasing a sailors knife with a marlinspike, any pics or reccomendations would be great, I am considering a Meyerchin Pro 2.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Marlinspike / Sailors knives
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 02:08:08 PM
Rough rider has one, with a locking spike, for about $15 or less, from what I remember.

It will probably be the cheapest decent one you can get.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 02:11:55 PM
Hi, I went through a similar process earlier in the year and decided to buy a Fox Sailing Knife (links below)  I looked at the Myerchin knives (very good quality) and also separately bought a Marlin Spike from them (again superb quality).  For me the difference was in the size and blade, I wanted a combi blade (I know they're not universally liked, but for rope work they suit me) along with a reasonable length blade to give a good length of both the plain and combi edges.  The Myerchin knives are very good quality but tend to be either plain or serrated. 

As far as Marlin Spikes go, the Fox is superb, the separate Myerchin is also superb, leading me to believe that the spike on their knives would also be just as good.

The links below give details on the Fox knife in blue and in silver (the silver one is from Leoneshop.com in Italy, who give first class service, and if you go to the boating knife section there are several different makes and a number of Fox variants).

The bottom link show a German Navy knife with Marlin spike, I also picked up one of these as the blade is non-locking and hence a legal EDC in Europe (it means I can take it ashore without any worries). If you were to go for the German Navy version, do ensure that you find a genuine Fox as there are a number of cheap reproductions around that just do not have the same build quality.

http://www.heinnie.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fox+sailing+knife

http://leoneshop.com/en/sport_and_hunting/nautical_fishing_diving_knives/boating_knives/fox_sailing_knife_233_silver

http://leoneshop.com/en/sport_and_hunting/nautical_fishing_diving_knives/boating_knives/fox-sailing-bundes-wehr_knife_230

The knives in the links are available in most countries but also both the companies in the links (Heinnie Heynes and Leoneshop.com) give superb service and will ship globally on request.

Good luck and please do let us know what you eventually choose - happy sailing!  :)

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 02:58:09 AM
Thanks greenbear , That helps , I also like the combo edge. My daily carry is my Kershaw Leek with combo edge. I'll let you know which I choose

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:48:15 PM
Please do, I would be interested to know how you get on  :)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 06:55:14 AM
Subd. I could always use another marine knife.

My tent stake marlinspike is a keeper though!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%