Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scaler Line Guide

twrch · 14 · 1628

Offline twrch

Scaler Line Guide
on: August 25, 2014, 12:03:27 AM
Does anybody know the function or purpose of the notch (line guide) on the newer Wenger scalers?

Thanks,

Twrch

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Re: Scaler Line Guide
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:54:33 AM
It's so the edible doesn't fall off when used as a pickle fork.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:58:13 AM
It's use is classified. The answer is locked in a safe inside a secure bunker underneath delemont

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:01:04 AM
You hang it off the fishing line, then run it down the line to the hook to use the hook remover.

Offline twrch

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:03:32 AM
OK.  Since I started this, I get to answer twice.

1.  You don't need to get an A in Ichthyolgy (religion of fish) to know that some fish feature horizontal lines on the scales.  Following the line on the fish while peering through the line guide allows the fish cleaner to remove the scales most efficiently by uh following the line or using the line as a guide.

2.  Lee Harvey Oswald

Although, after giving this more thought, I guess it could be used to snag the line. However, as a former angler I am having trouble picturing the functional advantage of such a maneuver.

After still more thought, bordering on cogitation, I think I understand.  Another angler is holding the pole.  A second angler is fixing to take a fish off the line of the angler holding the pole.  To begin, he or she snags the line  with the trusty line guide.  Then, as the angler with the pole reels the fish in, it (the fish) eventually reaches the Wenger tool. Then, the individual that is fixing to unhook the fish, grasps the fish with his or her free hand, disentangles the line from the line guide with the other hand, then uses that same hand to employ the disgorger. 

Probably not much use for a solitary angler unless I am missing something else.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:57:13 AM by twrch »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:52:46 AM
It allows you to keep tension on the line while trying to use the end of the scaler to remove the hook.

Offline twrch

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 03:31:32 AM
You have removed a great many fish hooks following this method?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:34:50 AM
You have removed a great many fish hooks following this method?

With the method yes, not with the Wenger scaler as I don't have one.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:07:13 AM
OK.  Since I started this, I get to answer twice.

1.  You don't need to get an A in Ichthyolgy (religion of fish) to know that some fish feature horizontal lines on the scales.  Following the line on the fish while peering through the line guide allows the fish cleaner to remove the scales most efficiently by uh following the line or using the line as a guide.

2.  Lee Harvey Oswald

Although, after giving this more thought, I guess it could be used to snag the line. However, as a former angler I am having trouble picturing the functional advantage of such a maneuver.

After still more thought, bordering on cogitation, I think I understand.  Another angler is holding the pole.  A second angler is fixing to take a fish off the line of the angler holding the pole.  To begin, he or she snags the line  with the trusty line guide.  Then, as the angler with the pole reels the fish in, it (the fish) eventually reaches the Wenger tool. Then, the individual that is fixing to unhook the fish, grasps the fish with his or her free hand, disentangles the line from the line guide with the other hand, then uses that same hand to employ the disgorger. 

Probably not much use for a solitary angler unless I am missing something else.

Not quite, it is a one person job. Reel the fish in all the way. Grab line with one hand and lift fish. Use other hand to hang scaler onto line. Run it down the line to the hook and engage hook remover. Shake fish while twisting remover and pull hands apart.

Offline twrch

Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:07:01 PM
So just after your line guide engulfs the fish hook, you use one hand to turn the tool so that the disgorger fork engages the portion of the hook that you will apply force to, to push/pull the hook out.  Meantime your other hand is holding/shaking the fish.  By this point you have set the pole down?  Is the line wrapped around the line guide to keep the tension on the line?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 02:58:37 PM
Check out the video from 31 to 40 seconds.

Although they are using a slightly different tool you should get the idea.

Hope that helps.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 11:23:50 PM
Here's the book you need to tell you everything you need to know about fishing.  :whistle:

http://www.amazon.com/Fearless-Cheating-Honorable-Piscatorial-Practices/dp/0876910517

Unknown.jpeg
* Unknown.jpeg (Filesize: 17.14 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 11:43:16 PM
Here's the book you need to tell you everything you need to know about fishing.  :whistle:

http://www.amazon.com/Fearless-Cheating-Honorable-Piscatorial-Practices/dp/0876910517
I fish simply for relaxation.  :rofl:

Offline twrch

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 01:36:11 AM
I fished a lot in the 70s and ate a lot of pan fish.  Getting the hook out was never a favorite part of fishing for me.  After viewing 4-5 you tube videos on hook removal from the fish, I think I can see how the line guide might add to the regular disgorger, maybe.  It allows for twisting the hook a quarter turn or so as you push with the tip.  I never had a line guide on my disgorger/scaler which was a dedicated pocket knife type implement.  Later on, i recall switching to a hemostat.  Course sometimes you could just use your fingers.

There are a surprising number of videos on you tube featuring hook removal from anglers who accidentally hooked themselves or each other too, including leg, arm and lip. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%