Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buying a macro flash

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Buying a macro flash
on: August 18, 2014, 04:09:50 PM
I'm looking at buying a macro flash ring as the built in flash really sucks with macro work.  I've been looking at the cheap eBay ones, and the reviews are not as bad as I thought they would be.

I'm looking at this one here 48LED Macro Ring Flash.  For the price, I think it's worth a shot (get it, worth a shot  :facepalm: ).

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Re: Buying a macro flash
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:11:41 PM
I haven't got much experience with RingFlash, which is surprising considering I own one :facepalm:

However, I have read up on them. Many users complain of the flat lighting that a ring flash gives as unless you can switch off one side the flash fills in ALL the shadows - hence flat looking.

Have you considered off camera leads with hotshoe flash guns?? Most pro's adopt this method and working by trial and error eventually figure what works for them.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:18:37 PM
The one I'm looking at has the ability to have either both sides flash, or just the right or left.  I have thought about going with a flash gun, and going off the shoe, but I want something that's easy to manage in the field.  I think going off shoe would be the best for studio type work, but I think for shooting in the field, the ring flash would work better.

I could be completely wrong saying that though.  For the sake of $50, I think I'm going to give one a try.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:09:49 PM
The one I'm looking at has the ability to have either both sides flash, or just the right or left.  I have thought about going with a flash gun, and going off the shoe, but I want something that's easy to manage in the field.  I think going off shoe would be the best for studio type work, but I think for shooting in the field, the ring flash would work better.

I could be completely wrong saying that though.  For the sake of $50, I think I'm going to give one a try.

Just be aware that LED flashes tend to be very low powered and some can have issues with sync speeds.  The flash you linked to, for example, has a maximum sync speed of 1/100ths second.  That's not enough to stop movement.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:11:38 PM by jekostas »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:56:06 PM
I'm still inclined to say use a flash gun with off-camera cord.
In the old days trial and error would have meant laborious experimenting then developing and printing  :facepalm:

Today with digital you could spend an hour and you'd know exactly what worked for you.

As for in the field... That's a feeble excuse - just pick up a used off camera flash bracket or how about the stroboframe - better still cobble something together.

I think you may be disappointed with the ring flash - but that's my own personal view. For $50 give it a try, you can always sell it on.

On a second note - Martin Parr the British photographer has created his own unique style (signature) by using the ring flash - most of the time its used as a fill in light source. Check out his work  :pok:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:00:04 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 03:40:33 AM
I have something of the same bought dirt cheap off of eBay a few years ago. I haven't used it much. What little I tried, I found I couldn't dumb down the light enough for my liking. In other words, I tend to get plenty of washed out details. I put it away into storage for now, but do plan on playing with it again at a later date.

I say, if the price is right, go for it. Although, you do get what you pay for. There is a reason why name brand flashes are so expensive. I know I would be happier with a Canon branded ring flash...but couldn't justify the expense.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:36:01 PM
Yeah, I'd rather play with a $50 one to start with, and then maybe buy a good one.  Sigma has a nice one, but it's $349. 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 02:56:16 PM
Here is the one I have. The one you listed is a bit fancier. Mine doesn't have an LCD display. A bunch of lens adapters are included. You can have either the left or right side off...but the whole assembly rotates around the lens adapter...so technically, you have infinite control over the light direction. I  have found that my lowest setting is still too bright for my liking...but then I haven't really played with it much. Like you, it was dirt cheap, and bought to play around with.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 03:12:34 PM
I'm hoping that it will work ok for using outside, since that's where I take most of my macro shots.  I ordered it last night, so I'll see in around a month when it gets here.  :ahhh  It's great getting stuff from China since it's so cheap, but it takes forever to get here!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%