Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A couple of museums and a good day trip.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A couple of museums and a good day trip.
on: August 27, 2014, 06:49:25 AM
Today, I took my neighbor out for a full day ride. We were both bored and I thought it might be good to go somewhere I hadn't been in 20 years...that would be a trip to the city of Elliot Lake. However, there were a few stops along the way. The original plan was to go back to St Joseph Island...but we ended up doing the Island on the way back. I went somewhere I wouldn't have gone alone, and my neighbor, who was great company, enjoyed the outing. So it was a win win.

Our first stop for a little picnic was at this rest stop at Mississauga, which is along the Trans Canada Highway.

Then I found out my neighbour had a lot of relatives in Blind River. I decided to be nice and do the whole town, as she reminisced about her childhood. We even stopped in at one of her uncle/aunts for a little visit. I found out her uncle makes violins and guitars, and I do mean beautiful ones. We did stop at the docks in Blind River, and I decided to take out the cell phone for a few shots here.

I remembered that Blind River had a beautiful museum. Mind you, the last time I went to it was back in 1981. Well, that changed a lot. In fact, this whole trip only highlighted how much change can occur in 20+ years. There used to be a giant statue of Paul Bunion and the Blue Ox. That is no longer there. Instead, there is now a tourist information building. Also, the museum appeared to have a lot less than I recalled. I quickly found out why from the employee manning the front desk. They have a lot more in storage and now rotate their displays.

I also found out they have an art gallery in the museum building highlighting local artists.

And off the side, was the museum proper.

And here is my neighbour's uncles display in the local museum. This is his first violin that he made.

So much for Blind River. After that, we went to Elliot Lake. Elliot Lake was built upon Uranium mining...which no longer exists. However, they have turned the city into a nice retirement community. The city is built in the mountains, which means the roads go up and down...an experience.

Here is the first stop, the Elliot Lake Canadian Tire. Smaller than the one in Sault Ste Marie, but the store is built right on the edge of a cliff.

Driving around the city of around 13,000 people, we came across this beautiful beach.

I wanted to visit the museum. Now back in 1980/1, the museum was located at the top of a mountain in the center of the city. I didn't know they moved the museum back in 95. So here I am driving lost and I see a tourist information center several streets downward. Heading for the building, I find that is where the museum is not located.  :facepalm:

Walking inside the building, you see beautiful stone work and very striking brass doors.

Inside the building, we found out the museum is located in the basement.

On the way back, we stopped at the Adcock Gardens which are in another thread...and back to Richard's Landing old jail...

A very grim place indeed. Built in 1901 and in use till 1941.

And after that, back home.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: A couple of museums and a good day trip.
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:31:14 AM
Thanks for using place names, I checked them out on google earth, very cool.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:14:39 PM
Nice pics! Looks like you two had a good day.
Thanks for sharing.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:12:17 PM
We did.  :)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 03:53:27 PM
You always find the coolest places to go to. Those are great pics Dan :tu:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56