Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?

enki_ck · 1608 · 156166

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?
Reply #1500 on: October 30, 2015, 01:41:37 AM
Well fellas, add me to the short list of potential reviews ;)  I decided to go on a bit of a spree for early Christmas gifts.  The Signal was one of those gifts....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Better be a quick review so you can send in time to get it here by christmas.  :pok:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1501 on: October 30, 2015, 01:45:03 AM
Well fellas, add me to the short list of potential reviews ;)  I decided to go on a bit of a spree for early Christmas gifts.  The Signal was one of those gifts....

:woohoo:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #1502 on: October 30, 2015, 01:45:29 AM

Better be a quick review so you can send in time to get it here by christmas.  ok:
;D

K-Tibbs

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #1503 on: October 30, 2015, 02:15:19 AM
Now I like where this is going. I'll be anxiously awaiting those reviews :tu:

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #1504 on: October 30, 2015, 02:21:00 AM
Working on mine now. My opinion has somewhat changed since I originally posted.

Sent from Tracy Island

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #1505 on: October 30, 2015, 03:40:02 AM
Now I like where this is going. I'll be anxiously awaiting those reviews :tu:

+1  :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1506 on: October 30, 2015, 08:37:04 AM

Good on you mate, can't wait to read the review  :tu:.

When I first saw the Signal at the local shop I almost bought it right away, but I decided to think it over (and most of the time I would return the next day to buy it anyway ...  ::)).  But back home I started reading the topics about the Signal here and I got the feeling that the Signal had to be about the worst tool ever made, since I had never seen such negativity about a tool here in the past. 

So, I changed my mind and bought a stainless Surge (I already owned the BO one, and I like to have BO and Stainless versions of my Leatherman tools  ::)).  I thought the Surge combined with my Light my Fire firesteel (which has a whistle on it) would make a better combination than the Signal, since the Surge also has a diamond coated file that you could use to sharpen the knife in times of need.  And the Surge with the firesteel would still be about 45 Euros cheaper than buying a Signal over here. 

Since then I've been carrying my Surge to work (it replaced the Spirit that I had been carrying since ... euh ... forever) and even though I really, really like it, I still feel bad that I changed my mind about the Signal after reading about it here.  I've not taken a single pic of my new Surge, or even mentioned it here until now, and I've had it for about 3 or 4 weeks now ...

So, long story short, the Signal is back on my wishlist, but it will have to wait for now, since I already bought the Stainless Surge, and I'm saving money to get a new tattoo now (which had been on my wishlist ever since I got my first one about 7 years ago ...  ::)).

Choices ...  :poh:

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #1507 on: October 30, 2015, 09:50:15 AM
Show us some of those tattoos...come on!

And what better excuse to show some pics of your new Surge, alongside  :multi:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #1508 on: October 30, 2015, 09:55:12 AM
I'm saving money to get a new tattoo now (which had been on my wishlist ever since I got my first one about 7 years ago

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1509 on: October 30, 2015, 10:06:38 AM

I only have one (so far ...) it's a nautical compass with the names of my boys next to it.  Since I got that one I knew I wanted another one, but you're talking to someone who needs 15 minutes to decide what he's going to eat on his sandwich, so deciding which tattoo I'm going to get is hell for me ...

Oh, and I've got a couple of days of next week, so I'll try to get some pics of my new Surge  ;).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1510 on: October 30, 2015, 10:12:56 AM

I only have one (so far ...) it's a nautical compass with the names of my boys next to it.  Since I got that one I knew I wanted another one, but you're talking to someone who needs 15 minutes to decide what he's going to eat on his sandwich, so deciding which tattoo I'm going to get is hell for me ...

Oh, and I've got a couple of days of next week, so I'll try to get some pics of my new Surge  ;).
How about tattooing your favorite sandwich combo... it's a win win.
You get a new tattoo AND you know what to put on your sandwich :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #1511 on: October 30, 2015, 10:41:34 AM
I'm just truly thankful there are still so many good Leatherman models I don't have that I don't even need to consider the Signal  8)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #1512 on: October 30, 2015, 11:17:42 AM
I want another tattoo. 

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1513 on: October 30, 2015, 11:29:47 AM

I want another tattoo.
Me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1514 on: October 30, 2015, 11:39:08 AM

I want another tattoo.
Me too.

Maybe we should make a topic "Who wants another tattoo" or "Pics of your tattoo outside" ...  :pok:

:D

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #1515 on: October 30, 2015, 11:56:14 AM
"What's your latest tattoo?"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1516 on: October 30, 2015, 12:13:37 PM
Hey, folks.

Just posted my review of Signal, after fondling and testing it for sawing for a while:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62841.0.html

Hope you'd like it!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1517 on: October 30, 2015, 12:39:34 PM

Hey, folks.

Just posted my review of Signal, after fondling and testing it for sawing for a while:

Hope you'd like it!
Great review buddy!! :tu:

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #1518 on: October 30, 2015, 01:38:20 PM
Hey, folks.

Hope you'd like it!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
Thanks dude!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1519 on: October 30, 2015, 02:17:32 PM
@derekmac, hellsing   Thanks for reading!  :D

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1520 on: November 03, 2015, 11:10:13 PM
The Signal just showed up on the Dutch site were I buy most of my Leatherman Tools since they are less expensive there than at the local shops in Belgium, but instead of the 179,95 Euro they retail at the local shops, they sell it for 199,90 Euro ...  :ahhh

So, until the price on the Signal drops, I guess I'll have to use my "Signal replacement".  A couple of weeks ago I almost bought myself a Signal, but at the last minute, I changed my mind and went for a Stainless Surge, when I combine this with my brand new Light my Fire Army firesteel (with whistle) I still saved myself about 45 to 50 Euro compaired to the Signal.  I would really like to give the Signal a try, but until it drops in price, that's not going to happen ...

Here's my Signal for the moment, Stainless Surge (which, as you all know, comes with a diamond coated file, just like the Signal  ;)) and a brand new Light my Fire Army firesteel, I've used this kind of firesteel before, and it works great in my opinion.

Edit: notice the whistle on the "scraper" of the firesteel  ;).

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:11:43 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #1521 on: November 03, 2015, 11:11:48 PM
The Signal just showed up on the Dutch site were I buy most of my Leatherman Tools since they are less expensive there than at the local shops in Belgium, but instead of the 179,95 Euro they retail at the local shops, they sell it for 199,90 Euro ...  :ahhh

So, until the price on the Signal drops, I guess I'll have to use my "Signal replacement".  A couple of weeks ago I almost bought myself a Signal, but at the last minute, I changed my mind and went for a Stainless Surge, when I combine this with my brand new Light my Fire Army firesteel (with whistle) I still saved myself about 45 to 50 Euro compaired to the Signal.  I would really like to give the Signal a try, but until it drops in price, that's not going to happen ...

Here's my Signal for the moment, Stainless Surge (which, as you all know, comes with a diamond coated file, just like the Signal  ;)) and a brand new Light my Fire Army firesteel, I've used this kind of firesteel before, and it works great in my opinion.

:salute:

us Offline Gerber Suspension

Reply #1522 on: November 03, 2015, 11:32:14 PM
^^^

That fits perfectly!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Society is a wave" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
They should have upgraded to a Charge.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1523 on: November 03, 2015, 11:38:52 PM
Oh, and it comes with a watch, just like the Tread (okay, maybe not as accurate as the one on the Tread, but it does come with a better tool loadout ;)).

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #1524 on: November 03, 2015, 11:53:58 PM
Oh, and it comes with a watch, just like the Tread (okay, maybe not as accurate as the one on the Tread, but it does come with a better tool loadout ;)).

Dont forget next month is Dropped Pants Surge challenge ..  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1525 on: November 04, 2015, 12:55:59 AM
I might have to get in on that one, I like dropping my pants the Surge.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #1526 on: November 04, 2015, 01:02:51 AM
I might have to get in on that one, I like dropping my pants the Surge.

:rofl:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #1527 on: November 23, 2015, 11:20:50 PM
Phew, I'm kinda interested in this tool but 51 pages took some time to get through. Almost only negative feedback, although I'd hazard a guess that more than half of it was without even seeing the tool in person much less trying it out (not to unlikely considering basically half the pages where from before the release).

I'd really like it to be a good tool but I see a bunch of problems with it right now.
- The price, do however note that the recommended price has already dropped to 99$ from 120, that's something...
- There would have to be some modding done; the awl is ridiculous and I have no use whatsoever of a saw.
- There seems to be a lot of complaints about ergonomics. This is perhaps the worst part, buying it online would cost me less than anything leatherman bought around here, tools can be swapped, but you're stuck with the ergonomics.
- Those cheap plastic parts, on the positive side they mean there's plenty of space for alternative pieces.

Now, this topic has had it's fair share of negative so I'll point out some good sides:
- Sometimes less is more, I have the Gerber Suspension and that thing is clumsy and heavy, with plenty of tools that see little or no use to me (e.g. saw, serrated blade, those chubby scissors). Same kinda goes for most of the other leatherman tools: two blades, a saw, a file and scissors.
- Accessible tools, right now I'm carrying a PST and lets just say that while it's truly a great tool those screwdrivers are not exactly simple to get to. This also seems relevant as an answer to the "buy this other tool instead and get lots of more tools for your money" argument. Sure thing but unused tools take up space, weight and make the tools you want to reach for harder to get to.

In the end I can't say that I believe in the signal as a good survival tool. However removing/replacing those plastic pieces and regrind the awl and saw (just a small prying edge on the tip) and you have a toolset that could solve most everyday problems in my life. I might have to get one if the price drops.

PS. for anyone who still has theirs, how feasible does it seem to make a bit holder instead of the whistle? Could anyone take a picture with a bit next to the whistle?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1528 on: August 26, 2017, 10:01:33 PM
Fifty some-odd pages is a lot is speculation to peruse. I did see a review of sorts and that there was another review geared towards the saw as it relates  to other saws.

So has anyone yet taken this thing out on a section hike or camping trip to really run each aspect of the tool through the paces, not just focusing on the saw?

If not, send me one. In the next few weeks I am planning a three day hike through Bond Cliff and along the "Pemi-Loop." There are more arduous hikes for sure, but if we can't test it well there, I would be surprised.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1529 on: August 26, 2017, 10:20:53 PM
Or, maybe the jury has already decided on this tool?

Like another poster here, I have a stainless Surge (07), and carry a Ferro rod in my pack. I want to like this tool, but I have an aversion to any multi tool where the tools created for its main purpose are detachable and can be lost.

I don't like to jump to conclusions, but sometimes just seeing something tells you what kind of trouble to expect. Example: I don't need to drive a Renault Robin before I know that it is unstable at any corner. Likewise I know that a little plastic removable whistle is likely to get lost or broken before you really need it. It should be built through the chassis of the tool. There should be NOTHING "removable" on a survival tool - not bit drivers, whistles, or ferro. If anything, an internal surface can be Ferro. You can open and strike it with a rock. Or, have a detachable ferro that is drilled and cabled to the chassis.

Plus, I think the whole thing should be highly polished stainless, in case needed as a signaling mirror.

Hammer should face the other way and not interfere with other tools.

Yes, I do have ideas about this, but am happy to run an actual hike and camp test of one and give an honest review.

Anyone? Bueller?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:22:39 PM by ThundahBeagle »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75