Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?

enki_ck · 1608 · 155718

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?
Reply #1530 on: August 26, 2017, 10:42:27 PM
Lol, sounds like you've already jumped to a conclusion.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1531 on: August 26, 2017, 11:06:43 PM
Or, maybe the jury has already decided on this tool?

Like another poster here, I have a stainless Surge (07), and carry a Ferro rod in my pack. I want to like this tool, but I have an aversion to any multi tool where the tools created for its main purpose are detachable and can be lost.

I don't like to jump to conclusions, but sometimes just seeing something tells you what kind of trouble to expect. Example: I don't need to drive a Renault Robin before I know that it is unstable at any corner. Likewise I know that a little plastic removable whistle is likely to get lost or broken before you really need it. It should be built through the chassis of the tool. There should be NOTHING "removable" on a survival tool - not bit drivers, whistles, or ferro. If anything, an internal surface can be Ferro. You can open and strike it with a rock. Or, have a detachable ferro that is drilled and cabled to the chassis.

Plus, I think the whole thing should be highly polished stainless, in case needed as a signaling mirror.

Hammer should face the other way and not interfere with other tools.

Yes, I do have ideas about this, but am happy to run an actual hike and camp test of one and give an honest review.

Anyone? Bueller?

That other poster bought a Signal about three weeks ago ...  :whistle:

And I must say, I kinda like it so far  :tu:.

And even though I only have had it for three weeks, I think the chances of the file or ferro rod/whistle getting lost (by accidentally being "unlocked") are pretty slim.  Getting lost after the user took it of and forgot where he put it, okay ... but that could happen with a regular firesteel, tool or knife also .

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1532 on: August 26, 2017, 11:24:55 PM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1533 on: August 26, 2017, 11:26:10 PM

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1534 on: August 26, 2017, 11:38:35 PM
Nice pics Z and TG   :like: :cheers: :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1535 on: August 27, 2017, 12:02:52 AM

Thanks mate  :salute:.

Edit:  I go to Austria for seven days, seven days to enjoy that beautiful landscape ... and lobsterboy just has to rub it in that he lives in such a place ...  :viking:

Edit number 2: Great pics Zoidberg, as always ...   :drool:.    Please, PLEASE keep posting them  :pok:.

Note to myself:  Check out possibilty for vacation to New Zealand sometime in the future ... (I already completed the Visiting Driver Training Programme.  I'm now better prepared for driving in New Zealand  :woohoo:).

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1536 on: August 27, 2017, 03:37:32 AM
Lol, sounds like you've already jumped to a conclusion.

Y-yikes! Well, I said I didn't LIKE to jump to conclusions. It still happens sometimes. Take the Renault Robin example...I STILL prefer 4 wheels on a car, and I stand by my opinion that the whistle could and should be integral. The ONE drawback to my old model Surge is that a spring went loose and I lost the bit. I just prefer a multitool to be all in one piece. There is no way you could possibly be missing anything that came with it when the smurf hits the fan.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #1537 on: August 27, 2017, 03:38:42 AM

Thanks mate  :salute:.

Edit:  I go to Austria for seven days, seven days to enjoy that beautiful landscape ... and lobsterboy just has to rub it in that he lives in such a place ...  :viking:

Edit number 2: Great pics Zoidberg, as always ...   :drool:.    Please, PLEASE keep posting them  :pok:.

Note to myself:  Check out possibilty for vacation to New Zealand sometime in the future ... (I already completed the Visiting Driver Training Programme.  I'm now better prepared for driving in New Zealand  :woohoo:).

Is that a requirement or a recommendation to drive in NZ?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1538 on: August 27, 2017, 03:46:19 AM
Oh my God, Top Gear! Jesus H. Smurf, Zoid!

You guys live in such beautiful landscape!. Where  do I sign up? I'll do six months in one country, six months in the other for the rest of my days

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1539 on: August 27, 2017, 03:56:29 AM
Or, maybe the jury has already decided on this tool?

Like another poster here, I have a stainless Surge (07), and carry a Ferro rod in my pack. I want to like this tool, but I have an aversion to any multi tool where the tools created for its main purpose are detachable and can be lost.

I don't like to jump to conclusions, but sometimes just seeing something tells you what kind of trouble to expect. Example: I don't need to drive a Renault Robin before I know that it is unstable at any corner. Likewise I know that a little plastic removable whistle is likely to get lost or broken before you really need it. It should be built through the chassis of the tool. There should be NOTHING "removable" on a survival tool - not bit drivers, whistles, or ferro. If anything, an internal surface can be Ferro. You can open and strike it with a rock. Or, have a detachable ferro that is drilled and cabled to the chassis.

Plus, I think the whole thing should be highly polished stainless, in case needed as a signaling mirror.

Hammer should face the other way and not interfere with other tools.

Yes, I do have ideas about this, but am happy to run an actual hike and camp test of one and give an honest review.

Anyone? Bueller?

That other poster bought a Signal about three weeks ago ...  :whistle:

And I must say, I kinda like it so far  :tu:.

And even though I only have had it for three weeks, I think the chances of the file or ferro rod/whistle getting lost (by accidentally being "unlocked") are pretty slim.  Getting lost after the user took it of and forgot where he put it, okay ... but that could happen with a regular firesteel, tool or knife also .

(Image removed from quote.)

Glad to know that they don't seem to get lost easy. I suppose in a tough situation it is possible to become confused. I just think the more integral the components, the less likely to be lost.

So you have had it some weeks...that's great!

Did I miss a write-up from you or Zoidberg in all those pages. If so please let me know where. Seems like you are both using it. Is it worth the $100?

I'd love to know

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1540 on: August 27, 2017, 05:00:08 AM

You guys live in such beautiful landscape!. Where  do I sign up? I'll do six months in one country, six months in the other for the rest of my days

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56704.msg1016604.html#msg1016604
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68481.msg1347010.html#msg1347010 :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:07:52 AM by Syncop8r »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1541 on: August 30, 2017, 11:52:18 AM

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56704.msg1016604.html#msg1016604
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68481.msg1347010.html#msg1347010 :whistle:

Awesome links and I don't think I have saw either :dd: :like:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1542 on: August 30, 2017, 12:07:36 PM
Welcome to New Zoidland   :salute:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1543 on: October 09, 2017, 01:45:17 AM
 just left REI in my neck of the woods. I was there to pick up a new Huntsman as a gift, but as usual, found myself gravitating to the left, a little further up the isle, where the Leathermans were hanging.

The REI exclusive Leatherman Signal was there in blister pack. Not only are the scales a luscious deep forest green, but the blade is black (don't think it is black oxide) with topographical map elevation bars and hights on it. $110 USD. Staring me right in the face.

I don't know why, but I wanted it.

Luckily, I did manage to escape with only the SAK Huntsman, but I am shuddering with confusion. I'm supposed  to be form follows function. This seems too pretty.

I'm afraid to go back
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:46:30 AM by ThundahBeagle »

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #1544 on: October 09, 2017, 10:19:20 AM
They are the best looking Signal out there at the moment. I love mine!!!

Pete
IMGP4197.JPG
* IMGP4197.JPG (Filesize: 117.26 KB)
IMGP4215.JPG
* IMGP4215.JPG (Filesize: 129.5 KB)
IMGP4224.JPG
* IMGP4224.JPG (Filesize: 109.01 KB)
IMGP4208.JPG
* IMGP4208.JPG (Filesize: 135.61 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1545 on: October 09, 2017, 11:14:14 AM

Pete
Do you know where that place on the map is?

Gorgeous, and if it were not a semi-serrated blade, I would come over to the US, just to get one :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1546 on: October 09, 2017, 11:31:50 AM

Pete

Gorgeous, and if it were not a semi-serrated blade, I would come over to the US, just to get one :P

Probably 45°N 122°W.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #1547 on: October 09, 2017, 11:56:36 AM

That is somewhere in the 'States. I don't know if the contour lines reflect that particular place in the forest. The maps on Google does show some green, in fact a lot of green, but I cannot get a contour reference for it.

The blade is not bad at all. I think you should make the trip.  ;)

Pete

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1548 on: October 09, 2017, 12:05:13 PM

Pete

Probably 45°N 122°W.
:salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1549 on: October 09, 2017, 12:50:58 PM

That is somewhere in the 'States. I don't know if the contour lines reflect that particular place in the forest. The maps on Google does show some green, in fact a lot of green, but I cannot get a contour reference for it.

I used to be able to view contours on Google Maps... not anymore.
Those coordinates are just meant to be (near enough) for the Leatherman factory though aren't they?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1550 on: October 09, 2017, 03:49:45 PM
As I understand it, the coordinates on the Signal were meant to point to the site of the first Goe-cache location, although, yes, they do also land about 30 to 50 miles from Leatherman

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1551 on: October 09, 2017, 03:52:12 PM
So, after reading this entire thread, is it OK to like the Signal now?

I still have all my same reservations, but it sure seemed sweet.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1552 on: October 09, 2017, 05:31:54 PM

I say yes.  When it was first announced the tool polarized many including myself.  Once in hand I can see the merit in this tool.  This tool can also be a great platform as well.   The fiddly bits really are a non issue in hand and while they don't make the tool the certainly doesnt take away from the tool IMO.  The Green tool Pieter showed is spectacular and while we don't all like combo edges this one is still the best Signal color combination yet. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #1553 on: October 09, 2017, 07:17:28 PM
Oh, it's worth picking up. I have had mine for a couple years now, and while I don't get a tons of use from it (I don't carry it unless camping) it is solid when I need it.

I did have the plastic break on the whistle/firestarter so that it no longer stays where it ought. The failure causes it to fall INTO the tool so it is not loose unless the pliers are opened, but still not ideal. I replaced that part and bought a spare besides, but then again if I wander into the woods with less than three forms of firemaking on me, shame on me.

The other Scout leaders rolled their eyes at me when I used my Leatherman to light the camp stove last weekend, but they still used it to cook dinner.  :rofl:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #1554 on: October 09, 2017, 10:30:53 PM

Absolutely. It is a fine tool, quite a few of us love them and have done the 30 Day Challenge.

Try one, you may be surprised how easy EDC it can be. It is quite a capable tool, in spite of the plastic bits.

Pete

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1555 on: October 09, 2017, 10:36:02 PM

I say yes.  When it was first announced the tool polarized many including myself.  Once in hand I can see the merit in this tool.  This tool can also be a great platform as well.   The fiddly bits really are a non issue in hand and while they don't make the tool the certainly doesnt take away from the tool IMO.  The Green tool Pieter showed is spectacular and while we don't all like combo edges this one is still the best Signal color combination yet.

+1

At first I thought the Signal was a big waste of space and money, but when I saw one in real life for the first time (and after they dropped in price over here, from 180 Euro to 145 Euro) I started to like it more and more, and now I own two ...  ;).

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #1556 on: October 09, 2017, 10:53:20 PM
I got to handle one for the first time at the UK meet this year. I was quite scathing of it when I first saw pictures of it. Handling the tool did nothing to change my opinions. It is design, price and ergonomics that turn me off about it. I have never owned on or put it into active service, so can't offer any long term usage comments.

Probably the only thing I like about it is the "Wave" woodsaw, but I'd MUCH rather take the whole Wave over the Signal. Even after handling one, I really do not see the appeal of this.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #1557 on: October 09, 2017, 11:06:37 PM
  Still trying to find the Green REI version online to order...

Heard the whistle on a YouTube video and was so not impressed. Blow a Fox40 next to it and know what a real attention getting whistle sounds like.

Been carrying an Exotac NanoStriker but have had more rods break from actual use that it becomes frustrating. read somewhere one needs a minimum of 1/4" of ferrocerium rod to be sturdy enough for use, but 1/2" or larger was better. So the Leatherman ferrocerium rod is more of a backup or light use thing. The whistle ... meh. And the diamond coated file ... :think: Okay... Least they didn't put a V sharpener in its place. Would of much rather had a Surge tool swap mechanism of Saw & File there. Oops! (Puts cat back in the bag.) Don't want to suggest people carry a spare Surge file in the back slot.  :angel:

One thing that makes me wonder, who uses the 1/4" & 3/16" that far recessed in the Hammer/Carabiner tool anyhow? And what do you use it for in the first place?!? have needed a 3/8" far more times to remove/tighten battery terminals. One would of thought that someone out there would of created a Battery Tool Kit that could be carried inside most cars, attaching the case to a battery lead itself with some sort of self-locking mechanism. Then when they got stuck somewhere, they could remove the corrosion, clean the terminals & cable connectors, and have a non-conductive tool there to loosen/tighten the connectors from the terminals for the battery type they are using.
  It's bad when you go and fix someone's car issues cause the car won't start, and you whip out your Leatherman to save the day. And they are carrying a Gerber and not once thought of using the darn thing. Oh, wait, my mistake, they would get it and their hands dirty. (!)

But really, why a 3/16" & 1/4" recessed hex wrench?!? :think: Must be because they can put them there. ::)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:08:35 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #1558 on: October 09, 2017, 11:21:09 PM
Outback,

I think the 3/16" is there predominantly to stop a 1/4" bit pushing through

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1559 on: October 10, 2017, 12:25:11 AM
What's the point of difference with the Signal? My observations:
- ferro rod
- whistle
- sharpener
- hammer
- hex bit driver

Anything else?
The ferro rod and whistle are written off as rubbish even by many who like the Signal overall, despite them being things that help make it an outdoors tool. I have more ovaries than the amount of times I have needed a hex bit driver out in the bush. The sharpener may be useful but doesn't really 'make' the tool.
So that just leaves the hammer which doesn't really grab me.

What am I missing?

read somewhere one needs a minimum of 1/4" of ferrocerium rod to be sturdy enough for use, but 1/2" or larger was better. So the Leatherman ferrocerium rod is more of a backup or light use thing.
I think the Signal's ferro rod being mounted in the plastic would make it less likely to break?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%