Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose a MT for a friend

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Re: Help me choose a MT for a friend
Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 11:44:45 PM
Haha, I actually have one of those exact Ganzos, a 301-b, that I bought off of DX or aliexpress or some other Chinese site. And yeah, I have no idea why you'd buy one over a Suspension, you get a much more trustworthy warranty, and the 300 series of Ganzos don't actually have an onboard Phillips driver --they have a mounting post for an (at least in my case) included bit driver set. I bought one because I import lots of random crap from China and was curious to see the build quality of a 'good' Chinese MT manufacturer. Actually I think commenting on that MT was one of my first few posts on these forums ;).

Dem

Ganzos seem to be all the rage in China and they admittedly carry some cool and interesting designs but in the end they're all Gerber-lookalikes of dubious quality and longevity.

I could see having one in the glovebox just in case, but not sure I could depend on one of those in case of real emergency.

Leatherman and real Gerber are much better choices sometimes for the similar price or even lower. ;)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:49:19 PM by babola »
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:48 PM
It all comes down to how clever the user is. Many people are just stupid and abusive to tools, but if they were used with some cleverness within their mechanical limitations, the Suspension is not that bad.

I gave a Suspension to a friend who is electrician by trade - it´s more versatile and cuts cables/soft stranded wire better than many other tools. Sure, the Suspension is no beater, for abusive work the MPs are sturdier (but with a lesser machining/build quality).
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 12:04:27 AM
I've known people who bought the suspension as their first MT, and it put them off all others for years because of how crappy it is.  At least leatherman's wingman and sidekicks resemble a good MT, the Suspension is just bad.

I tend to steer away from Gerber when it comes to their MTs in general. I do however own two original blunt-nose Multi Pliers from the early to mid 90es as well as the US Army standard Mil issue BO MP600.

All three of them for their coolness factor, nothing else. They're all shelf queens and haven't used them since I got them.  :P

ca Offline Dem

Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 12:34:50 AM
Yeah I wouldn't want to count on my G301 compared to my other MTs, but aside from quite a few QC issues, it's actually pretty sturdy. Plier head (which aren't pinch-cutters) bite through a penny, for example... and were also unevenly ground and didn't match up until I reprofiled them.

I think the MP600 series gets a worse rep than it deserves. Who cares if they rattle, they're serious workhorses.

Dem

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 01:50:04 AM
I think the Sidekick would be better than the Wingman. For someone who doesn't have tools, the saw is handier than the scissors - I'm sure she will have scissors somewhere in the house. Also has separate serrated blade.
Shame about the price difference though.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 12:16:29 PM
I saw a Kick at lunchtime today. Overpriced, of course.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 12:38:11 PM
A couple weeks ago I found a MP400 on sale in Ricc Mall at a watch kiosk (between Kmart and Ricc Rd) and the lady said they would be moving into a shop soon and everything would get further discounts. Could be worth a look.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 12:46:34 PM
Not the Mister Minit then? The Kick is at the one in Merivale Mall.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 12:58:59 PM
I think between the wingman and the sidekick, I'd rather get the wingman. I like the scissors and the package opener.

us Offline dipti

Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 01:02:52 PM
Leatherman multi-tool will be the best option for your friend as a gift. You can also try out swiss army pocket knife because personally I have it and trust me it is a wonderful MT which I use it almost everyday for all sorts of activities. Despite of using it so much till now it is same it was one the very first day. I am very happy with it so I can recommend it to you.
My never ending love for tomahawks

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 01:21:29 PM
Not the Mister Minit then? The Kick is at the one in Merivale Mall.
Took a bit of finding but here you go.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #41 on: September 08, 2014, 01:26:49 PM
Thanks. Funny, I walked right past it yesterday, started thinking I should be seeing multitools, didn't see any and moved on.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 03:41:45 AM
$90NZD for Kick, Wingman, $120NZD for Sidekick.  :td:

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 04:34:58 AM
$90NZD for Kick, Wingman, $120NZD for Sidekick.  :td:

Wow, rediculous.

You can get 7 of those MTs online for the price of 2 in NZ.  ::)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 10:30:32 AM
Right now TM has a black camo Fuse $95 chch pickup, Sidekick $70 inc postage and Wingman $60 inc postage.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 07:55:43 PM
Full size Wingman or Sidekick.
Purse size go with a Style CS or a Micra.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 09:49:47 AM
I doubt she would carry it in her purse but I am leaning away from Sidekick to Juice for some reason - can anyone tell me how they compare? Thinking XE6 or CS4. Buying online and shipping to her folks in the US will be the cheapest way.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 05:59:58 PM
I doubt she would carry it in her purse but I am leaning away from Sidekick to Juice for some reason - can anyone tell me how they compare? Thinking XE6 or CS4. Buying online and shipping to her folks in the US will be the cheapest way.
bought an XE6... Never really carry it... Stupid flat drivers always getting me.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #48 on: September 11, 2014, 01:33:44 AM
bought an XE6... Never really carry it... Stupid flat drivers always getting me.
What do you mean?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #49 on: September 22, 2014, 01:19:53 PM
Haha, Purple (I would call it mauve) Juice XE6 on it's way. KF4 would have been ideal but bids are going too high. Oh well, she gets a corkscrew.  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%