Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opions on the Gerber Guardian

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Opions on the Gerber Guardian
on: June 29, 2008, 02:39:09 AM
Guys I have been thinking of purchasing a Guardian just for curiosity purposes but wpuld like opinions from those who know better as they are rather an expensive purchase

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Opions on the Gerber Guardian
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:00:10 PM
I'm not familiar with the Guardian but hopefully someone will be along soon with some thoughts on it.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:22:48 PM
Illegal to carry here in Rhode Island (and probably a bunch more states).  Double sided blade/dagger :-\
[

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 07:34:39 PM
so its just the sharp edge on other side that defines it as a dagger?
or the possibility to make it   sharp easily?
or the dagger-like shape?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 08:34:58 PM
It's a modern (Chinese made) version of their classic Gerber Mk 1, pictured on the left here:

I'd see if I could find an old Mk 1 if I were you- they are still available and at good prices, plus it's a much better knife than the newer one.  If you like the dagger design, SOG also make a few nice ones like the Pentagon.

Bear in mind that most double edged blades are terribly for any use beyond taking out sentries in dark alleys of large castles.  Someone will be along to say how theirs is razor sharp, and they can be, but for the most part they are meant for piercing, not every day or regular outdoor tasks.

Of course, if you want a good dagger at a (relatively) reasonable price, there's always my favorite, the Applegate/Fairbairn Combat Knife!

One of these days I may actually get my mitts on one...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 10:26:12 PM
To be honest I wouldn't really bother with it, while the sheath is quite interesting, it's bloody noisy in use (kinda defeats the point imo), is made of an average steel, and in your line will be more hassel than it's worth to own :(

But if you really want a decent, small last ditch dagger, save your pennies and get one of these beauties ;)...

http://www.heinnie.com/hun3qx526758/Knives/Fallkniven/F%C3%A4llkniven-G1-Garm-Knife/p-92-139-971/
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:32:42 PM
Guys I have been thinking of purchasing a Guardian just for curiosity purposes but wpuld like opinions from those who know better as they are rather an expensive purchase

Gerber Guardians seem to have some popularity with backpackers, probably due to simplicity and lightweight (just over 3 ounces.)

I read a favorable review of the Guardian over on the Backpack Gear Test site and have seen a few backpackers carry them on the trail.

Some people like two-edged knives because they can use one edge for day-to-day chores and avoid using the other edge completely - so it remains very sharp for emergency use.

Guardians are available at some police supply stores, so I guess they must have some popularity among cops.

Guardians seem to be available for less than 40 bucks, so you might have a look round online.

N

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:03:55 AM
Here is the review mentiond by Ringzero, looks like the guy who made it really likes his Guardian...

Carlos

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Fixed%20Blade/Gerber%20Back-Up/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/
(

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 06:20:39 AM
Here is the review mentiond by Ringzero, looks like the guy who made it really likes his Guardian...

Carlos

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Fixed%20Blade/Gerber%20Back-Up/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/

Thanks for the pointer, Carlos.  I was in too much of a hurry to find that review of the Guardian when I posted earlier.

Here's a less expensive double-edged blade you might find interesting, jock1:
https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=198

I've never owned a Sting but almost bought one several times over the years.

Some of my buddies have them as they are popular for backpacking, so I've tried them out.

Reasonable price, lightweight, simple and tough design, and feels good in the hand.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD