Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got Lube? Is it Super?

Aloha · 11 · 1569

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Got Lube? Is it Super?
on: September 11, 2014, 05:19:23 PM
I've been wanting to try this stuff out after reading about it and CPF rating it well.  At $7 a tube for the grease I figured it would last a very long time given the amount needed to lube threads so I got it. 

I cleaned the threads on my lights with a simple mirco fiber and very light isopropyl alcohol.  The threads were feeling a bit gritty on some of my most used lights.

I applied a very light dab of the Super Lube on the thread and what a difference,  smooth, smooth, smooth.  Time will tell how well this stuff works but going by what I've read I'm confident this was a good buy.

I also figured I'd "test" it on my ST300 so after cleaning it I applied some and again wow this stuff made a difference.  The opening and closing is smooth but there is one drawback.  Applying it down between the plier jaws is near impossible since its grease.  I smudged it between the implements and also within the tool and wiped the excess onto the tools. 

Anyone else use this stuff?       
IMG_5027.jpg
* IMG_5027.jpg (Filesize: 169.01 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Got Lube? Is it Super?
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:25:37 PM
Never heard of it. Sounds like good stuff. Where did you get it at?

Might be good to use with the punishment chicken when we run out of lard. :D

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 05:28:37 PM
Never heard of it. Sounds like good stuff. Where did you get it at?

Might be good to use with the punishment chicken when we run out of lard. :D

Nate

I picked it up at Harbor Freight and Tool.  It maybe cheaper elsewhere tho.

Yeah this and the Chicken  :o let the punishment commence.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:23:04 PM
According to the Safety Data Sheet, Super Lube Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is mostly a synthetic grease plus mineral oil, with 2.5% - 10% suspended Teflon powder.  It sounds like good stuff.  I love trying out new (to me) lubes like this.  They make an oil too, which may be good for plier pivots, etc., where its not easy to apply grease.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:27:52 PM
Use that whenever I work with any type of bearings or pivots on bikes. It has been absolutely phenomenal in every application I've used it in. Got some hubs on a trash-found bike to spin like brand new after they looked like they would never move again. I have two jars and one of those tubes :D

I would say you will be satisfied.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:35:31 PM
I found a good deal a while back on some frog silicon lubricant made for flashlights and bought several containers of it. It's also good for watch gaskets.
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:13:46 PM
@Powernoodle I haven't seen the oil yet in stores but I'm keeping an eye out.  It would be great in the pivots.   

@Higgins great to hear you have experience with this stuff.  I have read up on it and it does sound to be a great bang for the buck.  A little goes a long way on flashlights so this should last me a while. 

@Sawman, does that frog lube have a smell?  I got a tool from bay of fleas and it was quite nice smelling.  The seller said he "oiled" it and for some reason I recall frog something. 
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:04:16 AM
I have given up on using grease for threads as it just attracts dust/sand etc. (I use suitable grease for the rubber seals etc)

I just use some gun oil now (I go that from CPF too)

Also bear in mind that some torches will require an electric contact (a path) between the threads or the lips of the torch tube and the cap etc. so you have to use a material that is an electricity conductor, in those cases, as an insulating grease may stop the light from working.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:53:59 PM
I have given up on using grease for threads as it just attracts dust/sand etc. (I use suitable grease for the rubber seals etc)

I just use some gun oil now (I go that from CPF too)

Also bear in mind that some torches will require an electric contact (a path) between the threads or the lips of the torch tube and the cap etc. so you have to use a material that is an electricity conductor, in those cases, as an insulating grease may stop the light from working.

Great info DKS.  This is something to be aware of and the 3 lights I used it one are good to go.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 09:14:06 PM
@Powernoodle I haven't seen the oil yet in stores but I'm keeping an eye out.  It would be great in the pivots.   

@Higgins great to hear you have experience with this stuff.  I have read up on it and it does sound to be a great bang for the buck.  A little goes a long way on flashlights so this should last me a while. 

@Sawman, does that frog lube have a smell?  I got a tool from bay of fleas and it was quite nice smelling.  The seller said he "oiled" it and for some reason I recall frog something.
I don't have any in front of me right now but I don't remember it having any.
SAW

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 09:44:33 PM
Taste?

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%