Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is bushcraft to you?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
What is bushcraft to you?
on: September 15, 2014, 09:16:21 PM
This is a question from someone who is truly confused by the actual implementation of this term. I'm well aware of the definition of the term, but as someone who spends tons of time outdoors I feel I should know what it means in practice.

So an inquiry from an inexperienced outdoor enthusiast to those who probably know more than I ever will. What do you call bushcraft? And what tools will you always have on you for said scenarios and why?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What is bushcraft to you?
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:40:19 PM
To me it is the collection of skills required to live in a semi-primitive manner in a given environment.  So that will include, but not be limited to: fire starting, shelter building, food gathering, primitive hunting/trapping, utensil/tool making.....whatever makes life livable and comfortable.

I'd say tools can be basic (flint/stone) or can be a lot more up to date, depending on how far you are able or willing to go.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:50:14 PM
Bushcraft hmm i had a thought but this is a family forum  :facepalm:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:43 PM
I think it is one of the most overused and hyped up marketing word in these past few years.  To some extent, that's how I understand the term in product terms

Anything painted black, coyote or in condora = tactical tool
Anything wood work related that is not black, coyote or condura = bushcraft tool
Any blade with a scandi grind = bushcraft knife
Anything outdoor with color grey or orange = survival tool
 :whistle:

I am no 'bushcraft' expert, but I believe what Mors Kochanski wrote in his book 'Bushcraft' that (his book) is 'not simply a manual on wilderness camping or survival, but rather discusses basic existence skills that allow you to live in the bush on an indefinite basis with a minimal dependence on technological materials and tools".  In his book, he separated the contents in 'firecraft, axecraft, knifecraft, sawcraft, bindcraft, sheltercraft' and etc.

Nowadays, the idea or the term is so heated up that, based on little I know, a US-based forum had recently copyrighted the word 'bushcraft'.  To me, I think many of those crafts are disappearing quickly to all the commercialization, and instead of trying to claim expertise in 'bushcraft', we ought to take a step back, relax and enjoy ourselves in the woods. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:00:37 PM by comis »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:01:43 PM

Paul, I think you just open up a whole new genre for certain film industry.  :rofl:

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:03:09 PM
To me it is the collection of skills required to live in a semi-primitive manner in a given environment.  So that will include, but not be limited to: fire starting, shelter building, food gathering, primitive hunting/trapping, utensil/tool making.....whatever makes life livable and comfortable.

I'd say tools can be basic (flint/stone) or can be a lot more up to date, depending on how far you are able or willing to go.

well said, Gareth. :cheers:

in my mind, the term bushcraft covers a wide range -- everything from a minimalist overnight camping trip to an extended/semi-permanent residence in the woods, and everything in between.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I probably shouldn't admit it, but I had a similar thought. :facepalm:

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:05:52 PM

This, completely and nothing else, knowledge is everything. Tools with no knowledge is nothing.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:32 PM
Great minds think alike Breezy  :D or is that dirty minds  :rofl:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 10:23:02 PM
Gareth and Comis you're answers help a lot. The overhyping is what makes it so hard to get a solid grasp on. Trust me I am well aware that no matter what tools you have, without the knowledge of how to use them you may as well have nothing.

It's just nice to hear clear and personal interpretations from people who have the experience to back what they say. Thanks.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:16:43 PM
Bushcraft is starting to a tad overhyped. But not to badly yet. But all "bushcraft" is just a bunch of skills used while out in the wilds to make life easier and more enjoyable. Fire making, shelter, making tools and so on. Basically, self reliance. The more you know and can do, the less you have to pack. Bushcrafting does tend to fall back on primative type skills because you are using the resources around you. You are not going to find a tree that dispenses lighter, meths or nylon or other types of gear. One thing I have noticed is that people get so wrapped up in the hype, that they forget to enjoy themselves.
As far as tools, that greatly depends where your at geographically. In northern america,it is most commonly a knife, ax and saw. Not always, but generally. Other places use different tools.
Pretty much my take on it. Some like to poke fun at me, but I like doing things old school while I am in the woods.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 02:53:06 AM
I would describe it a cross between recovering historical outdoor crafts and skills with wilderness survival skills (a lot of bushcraft gets packaged that way), and a large load of hype, at least in the US. A lot of bushcrafters have serious skills, and more importantly, serious ethics, but a lot of them don't. And they get really self righteous when you call them out on unsafe and illegal practices. I would describe them as the mirror image of the militant vegans who freak out if anyone other than them goes into the woods- I guess their hemp pants and tevas magically don't even leave foot prints and apparently you can't start a forest fire with a propane stove if you set it on dry leaves, but they get violent if you so much as pick a couple cattails (from a 10 acre cattail marsh).

As someone who works on recovering historical outdoor crafts and skills, there are almost as many of the former who annoy me as the latter. And the ones from either side who get in your face because you're in the woods, but not their way, I just invite them to please, go to the RV park.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:04:03 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 07:20:43 AM
Bushcraft is starting to a tad overhyped. But not to badly yet. But all "bushcraft" is just a bunch of skills used while out in the wilds to make life easier and more enjoyable. Fire making, shelter, making tools and so on. Basically, self reliance. The more you know and can do, the less you have to pack. Bushcrafting does tend to fall back on primative type skills because you are using the resources around you. You are not going to find a tree that dispenses lighter, meths or nylon or other types of gear. One thing I have noticed is that people get so wrapped up in the hype, that they forget to enjoy themselves.
As far as tools, that greatly depends where your at geographically. In northern america,it is most commonly a knife, ax and saw. Not always, but generally. Other places use different tools.
Pretty much my take on it. Some like to poke fun at me, but I like doing things old school while I am in the woods.
Nate

I'm the same way... I never use matches when camping, and try to do as much as possible with just a fixed blade and a MT. makes it all the more enjoyable for me. :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:14:45 AM
My feelings echo many people's on here.

Bushcraft is a HOBBY based around primative skills, including shelter building, toolmaking, firemaking and harvesting/processing fuels, and the acquisition and processing of food and water. Advanced proponents will also incorporated medicine as well as a wider range of veggies in their diet rather than just small game. Typical knives attributed to it are 4" to 5" sheath knives with a drop point and plenty of belly.

"Survival" for many people seems to incorporate Bushcrafting, then adds a FAK, a zombie slaying knife and other weapons, but generally has little provision/thought for "real" scenarios such as fire, flood, famine, pestilence, earthquake, storm, terrorism, riots, bee/wasp swarms, or anything else that doesn't make for a fun day or two in the woods. In fact on the whole, considering any scenario that doesn't involve finding yourself in a woodland scenario is utterly preposterous. The knives are often bigger (for zombie attacks) and can be used as axes but less efficiently than an actual axe. The "toys" are often more modern and include steels that are harder and difficult to sharpen, will chip out when subjected to impact particularly at low temperatures.

Personally, I can light a fire with a firesteel if I have to, but like to use a lighter when lighting a fire, and have no problem whatsoever with using accelerants  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 01:21:25 PM
Personally I hate the term bushcraft.
Don't really know why, but I feel uncomfortable seeing people dressed in tacticool camo gear trying to make relatively simple tasks look complex to boost their own egos.
I'm not stereotyping people, just sayin.

We have evolved, we do read and therefore I would assume a fair few wouldn't simply curl up and cry regardless that they don't practice/preach bushcraft.

Most of it is common sense a lot of it is knowledge to a degree. But the human urge to survive is remarkable as history so often dictates.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 11:55:51 AM
Personally I hate the term bushcraft.
Don't really know why, but I feel uncomfortable seeing people dressed in tacticool camo gear trying to make relatively simple tasks look complex to boost their own egos.
I'm not stereotyping people, just sayin.

We have evolved, we do read and therefore I would assume a fair few wouldn't simply curl up and cry regardless that they don't practice/preach bushcraft.

Most of it is common sense a lot of it is knowledge to a degree. But the human urge to survive is remarkable as history so often dictates.
I was going to leave it alone.............but,
You are stereotyping. Would I make you uncomfortable if you meet me. Should I wear bright colors or a suit and tie? Some of the gear I use for camping and bushcrafting is what you call tacticool. There are reasons why a lot of us use it. First and foremost it is good gear and you can get it cheap at a military surplus store. Yes I could go to REI and buy a $80 pair of nylon pants or I can go to GI surplus and get the samething in camo for $20. Some of it I like because of the way it is set up. The ease in which I can get to some of my gear. The best pack I have ever owned and still use is my OD green military rucksack.
Yes there are some of "those guys" who like to look like ninjas and preach survival this and survival that and blah blah. That is not bushcrafting.
Bushcrafting and survival are two different things. Survivalist may use some of the skills and knowledge from Bushcraft, but bushcraft is about using older type skills and the resources around you to help with stay your out in the woods and enjoying yourself. Yes it would be easier to start a fire with a match or lighter, but I like to use a flint and steel because I can and it is fun. I could carry a small grill to cook on, but would rather make a pot holder out of wood. Why? Because I can and it is fun.
While I am at it, so what if someone what to wear all military gear. I as long there having fun and not hurting anyone or tearing up the environment around them, let them. A lot of them wear this "tacticool" gear while they go camping and are as normal as anyone else. Just because I use a Maxped LEO and wear old camo pants while I am in the woods does not make me a weirdo. I am just another guy out there enjoying himself.

Rant over. Sorry about that.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 01:19:48 PM
Oops, sorry Nate, I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone here, I was merely saying how I view it - it is a forum after all.

As you rightly say each to their own. I don't share the enthusiasm for doing things the hardway. I totally agree age old skills should be kept, but I just can't be arsed.

Personally and I do mean personally. I draw a parallel with primitive bushcrafting to people who do documentary style photography. You know the type Henri Cartier Bresson used a Leica so I'm gonna use a Leica, he only used 3 lenses so I'm gonna use three lenses etc etc.
half the time the reason these guys did it their way was because there wasn't an option or it was the only way they could. I've nothing against starting fires with a flint, but in real world scenarios we'd all take the easiest way to get it started.

The Bear Grylls franchise is a great example of manufacturers taking the proverbial, but from that it creates an almost higher elcheon where some individuals scoff at such ""garbage"" and spend vasts sums of money on gear that will never be used to the limits it's capable of - we all know exactly what type of people I'm referring too and my beef lies there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:31:56 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 11:18:41 AM
Gotcha! :)

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 12:48:58 PM
Hmm,  interesting thread.  I dabble in bushcraft a little bit, so here is my attempt to explode a few myths.

There are a few guys who strut around with a dozen knives hanging from their camo gear but, thankfully, there are not too many.  You only really need one good fixed blade knife, and maybe a smaller folder if you're a gadgety type.  Most of the "genuine" bushcrafters I've met tend more towards being "custodians" of the countryside more along the lines of the traditional gamekeeper rather than the "survival" type portrayed in some TV shows.  I only have one fixed blade knife - it does the job adequately and its a tool, that's all.

For me it is about connecting with nature, quietly and gently.  Part of the skill set involves learning to use the stuff that is around you, things like making a tripod for your kettle from branches.

There is a foraging element, which is really only an expanded level of wild food awareness, we've all picked blackberries, cloudberries, chokeberries etc, and it's just a bit more knowledge than that really.

Firelighting is a key skill - I learnt to use a piece of flint and a steel striker, and there is still a childish fascination for me in getting the first flames of the day.  What nicer than to sit by an outdoor fire?

I'm certainly not a "Rambo" type and would rather watch the birds than kill them.

As far as the actual term "bushcraft" goes, I was reading about that only the other day in Ray Mears' "My Outdoor Life" autobiography (which will give you the clearest view of what it is all about) and in the early days of the term it was apparently used as a preference to "survival" which had strong connotations to the training given to pilots etc in WW11 and was seen as a "softer" term more akin to caring for the natural environment than simply staying alive on it. 

As a point of interest I hate the term "bushcraft" as, for me, it is a rather vague description and way back the term "woodsman" was seen as a similar term for the skills (however I'm told that means something else these days....)

:salute:

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 05:50:56 PM
Bushcraft. This term is getting so trendy these days.
I'm assuming from all of the various outdoor survival shows we have.

To me Bushcraft is about going in with very little but the knowledge and skills to survive- and making use of what you have among your surroundings.
There's something truly wonderful about having the skills to go out to forage/hunt/make fire and survive on your own. It's all about having the skills to survive with little going in.

Everyone will have a different definition. I don't think we need rules.
For some, Bushcraft is far more primitive than to others.

-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 02:12:17 AM
Hmm,  interesting thread.  I dabble in bushcraft a little bit, so here is my attempt to explode a few myths.

There are a few guys who strut around with a dozen knives hanging from their camo gear but, thankfully, there are not too many.  You only really need one good fixed blade knife, and maybe a smaller folder if you're a gadgety type.  Most of the "genuine" bushcrafters I've met tend more towards being "custodians" of the countryside more along the lines of the traditional gamekeeper rather than the "survival" type portrayed in some TV shows.  I only have one fixed blade knife - it does the job adequately and its a tool, that's all.

For me it is about connecting with nature, quietly and gently.  Part of the skill set involves learning to use the stuff that is around you, things like making a tripod for your kettle from branches.

There is a foraging element, which is really only an expanded level of wild food awareness, we've all picked blackberries, cloudberries, chokeberries etc, and it's just a bit more knowledge than that really.

Firelighting is a key skill - I learnt to use a piece of flint and a steel striker, and there is still a childish fascination for me in getting the first flames of the day.  What nicer than to sit by an outdoor fire?

I'm certainly not a "Rambo" type and would rather watch the birds than kill them.

As far as the actual term "bushcraft" goes, I was reading about that only the other day in Ray Mears' "My Outdoor Life" autobiography (which will give you the clearest view of what it is all about) and in the early days of the term it was apparently used as a preference to "survival" which had strong connotations to the training given to pilots etc in WW11 and was seen as a "softer" term more akin to caring for the natural environment than simply staying alive on it. 

As a point of interest I hate the term "bushcraft" as, for me, it is a rather vague description and way back the term "woodsman" was seen as a similar term for the skills (however I'm told that means something else these days....)

:salute:

The bold part is why I even go out of doors at all.

Beyond that it is a hobby as 50ft-trad mentions. 

The pursuit of the hobby makes me learn about the primitive skills that we are all talking about.

The more you know, the less you need and all that.  The less I take, the more I enjoy the outdoors without the distractions of the gear (not that that is always bad!  :D)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%