Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ali Express? Are these knockoffs?

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Ali Express? Are these knockoffs?
on: September 16, 2014, 02:14:21 AM
Hi guys.
One of the girls at work was mentioning a website http://www.aliexpress.com/ saying she gets lots of cheap stuff off it.

Immediately I looked up some knives (of course), particularly Spyderco's. They seem ridiculously cheap. I was raised to think "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

What do you think? These have to be knockoffs right?

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=spyderco&catId=&initiative_id=SB_20140915114200

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Re: Ali Express? Are these knockoffs?
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:30:34 AM
At that price, there is not a single moment of doubt in my mind - combine that with the naming on the site and I'm absolutely sure that they're fake. At least so sure, that I wouldn't buy them, thinking that they are originals. Of course, that doesn't mean they're bad quality; I just don't believe they're Spyderco quality.

However... It might be a good way to familarize oneself with the looks of a Spyderco, before shelling out the big bucks.  :whistle:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 02:36:05 AM
Yes they are confirmed knockoffs.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:20:09 AM
Thanks. I thought as much. I also presumed at that price they weren't made out of the S30V steel they've got in the title etc.

There are a couple of spyderco knives I want... but they're not things I can carry in public here so not high on the priority list. Got to get a couple more PST2's first.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:08:26 AM
Look at the feedback. All positive. Everybody quite happy, but noone mentions Spyderco, or original... two comments say "great replica".
I might get a couple one day to get the feel of a Spyderco as no way in smurf I'm going to shell out the price for a real one (I mean a knock-off sak is pathetic, as the genuine prices of saks are decent but... ).

PS: Aliexpress is not really a shop.. it's a database of Chinese shops.. a bit like Amazon or EBay.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:35:07 AM
Not sure if all of the stuff there is really "knockoffs", for a lot of things it looks as if that is a platform where the real producing companies in China (not the only item selling brands in the western world that designed/ordered the stuff) are letting go their overproductions and seconds.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 03:15:17 PM
Not sure if all of the stuff there is really "knockoffs", for a lot of things it looks as if that is a platform where the real producing companies in China (not the only item selling brands in the western world that designed/ordered the stuff) are letting go their overproductions and seconds.

I think that's pretty accurate.  I did hear stories about various products falling off the truck, in China and sold for a lot less.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 05:06:21 PM
Some stuff, yes, they occasionally have a few "accidents" where some stuff escapes the factory and ends up on eBay and the like.

But none of those models shown here are Made in China, most are Made in USA.

00 Offline gorbag

• Tapatalk User
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 06:28:18 AM
You can sometimes find lots of items rejected for quality control reasons.  But, you have to dig and be vigilant.
The world belongs to the funkiest.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 09:33:09 AM
I might get a couple of knock-offs one day to get the feel of a Spyderco as no way in smurf I'm going to shell out the price for a real one (I mean a knock-off sak is pathetic, as the genuine prices of saks are decent but... ).

Lol... and here I am one year later with 3 genuine Spydercos all bought NIB and looking for 2 more... you guys did this to me..  :facepalm:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 01:15:34 PM
I might get a couple of knock-offs one day to get the feel of a Spyderco as no way in smurf I'm going to shell out the price for a real one (I mean a knock-off sak is pathetic, as the genuine prices of saks are decent but... ).

Lol... and here I am one year later with 3 genuine Spydercos all bought NIB and looking for 2 more... you guys did this to me..  :facepalm:

Which two are next then?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 01:28:29 PM

Which two are next then?

I think a Serrated Delica (VG10 or H1 - must try out those famed serrations) and a Spyderinox Rambler (Rambler frame with Ladybug blade and brass scales + G10 liners  :drool: )... but not too soon... it's drying me up keeping the diaper fund dry  :-\

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 08:29:35 PM

Haha. When I read your comment I was about to say something.  :D
I'm the milk man!

pl Offline stork

Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 12:19:11 PM
Recently I have found a site (chineese one, of course) where they had... over 6000 pieces of Victorinox Damast Limited 2010 (!) for sale at around 180USD (!)....

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 01:47:00 PM
Recently I have found a site (chineese one, of course) where they had... over 6000 pieces of Victorinox Damast Limited 2010 (!) for sale at around 180USD (!)....

Well.. linky.. rather curious to be honest... if they were around 30 Euros I might get one, even if fake...

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 09:09:59 PM

One has to ask themselves how many did they even make in 2010 and out of all of them sold is it even possible there is 6000 left?  :think:
I'm the milk man!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 06:18:51 AM
I have to check at home but reasonably sure there were around 5000 in total.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 07:25:28 AM
I have to check at home but reasonably sure there were around 5000 in total.

My point exactly.
I'm the milk man!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 07:29:11 AM
Limited Edition – only 2010 made.
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN52664/victorinox-swiss-army-2010-limited-edition

Would still buy a knock-off one if it was around 30 Euros...  ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%