Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do I tighten my old Wave?

Quartz · 51 · 17297

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Re: How do I tighten my old Wave?
Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 01:58:31 PM
I have tried the TS10 screwdrivers and had not much success, as said above the problem is not the screws coming loose, it is wear/ movement between the plier head and the pivot, I was going to make up some very thin shims to take up the slack, but seeing that there is a hammer and punch method I might give that a go first, of course I will completely disassemble the tool first. I expect it will only need to be a light tap to crush the handle where the pliers pivot, probably less that 1 mm in my case.
darren

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 05:04:28 PM
Leatherman simply hit the handles where the pliers pivot with a hammer and punch. That's what they did to my warrantied Wave a year ago.

Did they hit it in any particular area above or below the pivot hole or right smack in the middle?

The reason I'm asking is that I also have one of dose wobbly OG Waves and looking for the best way to address the issue.

The simple pivot screw tightening won't fix the floppy handles when closed, it will only make OHO tools harder to open  :(

Any picture that you can post of yours? Many thanks in advance!

Cheers.

I no longer have the Wave they "tightened" by hammer and punch. I returned it, dissatisfied, and it got replaced with a new Wave, which has a mechanism for keeping the handles under tension while opening, so needs no hammering.
My OG Wave had developed really floppy handles (they'd flop open easily in a pocket) even though the tool had had very light wear and tear over the years. I have several multi's, so the usage gets really spread out.
Even factory assembled early Leatherman tools have these dimples, it was the way they adjusted handle tension then. It was the butchered effect a second punching had on my tool that looked so bad.

I found a pic online, below. Either find a Leatherman Mini/PST and look at the dimples in the handles where they contact the plier head as they open and close............or imagine a dent put into each handle, on the flat spot right where the handle rubs against the plier head. the dimples in my OG Wave were put into the handles to the left of where the upright #3 is on the handle, on each side. Pic is the first one in Post #730, here:
http://edcforums.com/threads/what-is-the-last-edc-gadget-that-you-bought-part-2.98517/page-37
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:22:41 PM by neillcurrie »

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 05:08:12 PM
The simple pivot screw tightening won't fix the floppy handles when closed, it will only make OHO tools harder to open  :(

Oh, I didn't even think of this. If messing with those screws doesn't solve the floppy issue, than what kind of screw they are is moot.

Correct, the screws don't change (much) how the handles swing. The screws affect the opening and closing of the outside tools.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 08:13:39 PM
Neill, are you sure you linked to the right thread or post? The #730 is a LM Mini living in Netherlands.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 08:40:25 PM
Neill, are you sure you linked to the right thread or post? The #730 is a LM Mini living in Netherlands.

Looks like the right one to me.  :whistle:

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 01:02:14 AM
Leatherman simply hit the handles where the pliers pivot with a hammer and punch. That's what they did to my warrantied Wave a year ago.

Did they hit it in any particular area above or below the pivot hole or right smack in the middle?

The reason I'm asking is that I also have one of dose wobbly OG Waves and looking for the best way to address the issue.

Any picture that you can post of yours? Many thanks in advance!

Cheers.

I no longer have the Wave they "tightened" by hammer and punch. I returned it, dissatisfied, and it got replaced with a new Wave, which has a mechanism for keeping the handles under tension while opening, so needs no hammering.
My OG Wave had developed really floppy handles (they'd flop open easily in a pocket) even though the tool had had very light wear and tear over the years. I have several multi's, so the usage gets really spread out.
Even factory assembled early Leatherman tools have these dimples, it was the way they adjusted handle tension then. It was the butchered effect a second punching had on my tool that looked so bad.

I found a pic online, below. Either find a Leatherman Mini/PST and look at the dimples in the handles where they contact the plier head as they open and close............or imagine a dent put into each handle, on the flat spot right where the handle rubs against the plier head. the dimples in my OG Wave were put into the handles to the left of where the upright #3 is on the handle, on each side. Pic is the first one in Post #730, here:
http://edcforums.com/threads/what-is-the-last-edc-gadget-that-you-bought-part-2.98517/page-37

Got it, thanks Neil.
Will get back onto this again in the weekend, kids and family permitting...:)
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 11:45:43 PM
Sorted the b'stard!   :ahhh    :drink:    :cheers:

Had another go at my rattly/loose OG Wave handles yesterday evening. The culprit were the widened handles' sides at the top where they attach to the plier heads pivots - that's all it was on mine and I bet many a OG Wave would have suffered the same or similar 'sickness'.

Basically this is what I did and the handles are snug and tight now, both in open and folded position.

Steps to take...

1) remove the 4 large top pivot pentalobe screws which hold the plier head and 4 main blades.

2) Leave the bottom tools in, no need to remove the bottom 4 screws.

3) using your garage vice (or friend's or whatever, but mind you - it should be a vice due to amount of exerted force required), squeeze gently at the top of the handles exactly where the holes for the pivot screws are. The area is flat and unobstructed by any complexity so quite easy to do this, actually extremely easy. Keep squeezing until you bend the handles "U" shaped sheet sides little towards inside (inward). You have to do this as the steel is very hard and if you just press lightly to align the ends of the handles to be perfectly parallel nothing will happen. That's pretty much all it is to it.

4) I repeated this 2-3 times (every time increasing the squeeze a little) and kept going back and forth by reinserting the pliers head and measuring until the hold was tight even without the screws inserted. Be careful not to go too far as you will deform the handles and won't be able to open main 4 tools afterwards without them catching and scratching against the handles.

5) Re-place the pliers head, 4 blades (make sure you insert them in the right place (nut part of pentalobe assembly goes into the two blades plain and serrated, the screw part in saw and file blades).

6) Do not over-tighten the main 4 screws, there's no need for it anymore. Check if your 4 main tools open smoothly.

7) Voila - now the handles are nice and stiff but not too stiff.

No pics this time as there wasn't much of a cosmetic difference as a result of this, so won't show much.

Cheers and happy modding!
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 12:11:49 PM
Cool!! Great info there too! Thanks for sharing.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 07:47:12 PM
Glad you got it fixed. :cheers:

I'll bookmark it for future reference. :tu:

gb Offline shadow78

Reply #39 on: September 29, 2018, 03:30:25 PM
Sorted the b'stard!   :ahhh    :drink:    :cheers:

Had another go at my rattly/loose OG Wave handles yesterday evening. The culprit were the widened handles' sides at the top where they attach to the plier heads pivots - that's all it was on mine and I bet many a OG Wave would have suffered the same or similar 'sickness'.

Basically this is what I did and the handles are snug and tight now, both in open and folded position.

Steps to take...

1) remove the 4 large top pivot pentalobe screws which hold the plier head and 4 main blades.

2) Leave the bottom tools in, no need to remove the bottom 4 screws.

3) using your garage vice (or friend's or whatever, but mind you - it should be a vice due to amount of exerted force required), squeeze gently at the top of the handles exactly where the holes for the pivot screws are. The area is flat and unobstructed by any complexity so quite easy to do this, actually extremely easy. Keep squeezing until you bend the handles "U" shaped sheet sides little towards inside (inward). You have to do this as the steel is very hard and if you just press lightly to align the ends of the handles to be perfectly parallel nothing will happen. That's pretty much all it is to it.

4) I repeated this 2-3 times (every time increasing the squeeze a little) and kept going back and forth by reinserting the pliers head and measuring until the hold was tight even without the screws inserted. Be careful not to go too far as you will deform the handles and won't be able to open main 4 tools afterwards without them catching and scratching against the handles.

5) Re-place the pliers head, 4 blades (make sure you insert them in the right place (nut part of pentalobe assembly goes into the two blades plain and serrated, the screw part in saw and file blades).

6) Do not over-tighten the main 4 screws, there's no need for it anymore. Check if your 4 main tools open smoothly.

7) Voila - now the handles are nice and stiff but not too stiff.

No pics this time as there wasn't much of a cosmetic difference as a result of this, so won't show much.

Cheers and happy modding!

Hi,

I know this was a while now but I just found the topic and followed the instruction. I would like to thank "babola" for the steps.
I just expanded my collection with a couple of old waves recently but both had the same wobbly issue. Tried to google the problem but didn't find this topic. Like others I tried tightening the pivot screws without any positive result.
Then found the instruction here and managed to fix both of my tools. I would like to point out I have 2 different version of the 1st gen wave took some pics about the difference, as well as the difference between the 2 handles after I completed the vice pressure on one of them (pic 1). The difference between the old and the repaired one is a good 1-1,5 mm.
The 2nd pic shows the difference between the 2 old wave. The newer model has a spring and pliers mechanism very similar to the 2nd gen wave. The spring has rivers on the site just like on the new wave. After completed the repair on both the newer wave came out the best in terms of no movement or wobble. The older model still has a fraction of move. The difference also visible on the 3rd pic where the piers had got leatherman usa on the older and leatherman tool on the newer model. Just to add to the above putting the newer model back was a nightmare because of the spring.
Again thanks for the inst action but I thought a bit of an additional info may help for someone.

IMG_20180929_121601_1.jpg
* IMG_20180929_121601_1.jpg (Filesize: 159.69 KB)
IMG_20180929_141849_1.jpg
* IMG_20180929_141849_1.jpg (Filesize: 168.79 KB)
IMG_20180929_141936_1.jpg
* IMG_20180929_141936_1.jpg (Filesize: 258.28 KB)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:38:21 PM by shadow78 »

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 25, 2020, 10:27:58 PM
Just confirming that the correct tool to remove the pivots on the original Wave is called a pentalobe (5 point star) screwdriver, size TS10.

You need two so you can hold one side of the pivot while you unscrew the other.

After removing the plier pivots (marking the handles with a Sharpie to remember the correct tools for reassembly), I squeezed the frame at the plier pivot point in a vice, test fitting the pliers (without the pivot) until there was no wiggle.

When reassembling, don’t over tighten or the tools won’t open freely.

Back together and now the Wave opens smooth as butter with no slop or wiggle. Good for another 20 years.

Same size works on the tool pivots too.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 02:03:34 AM
Great information and photos!  :like: :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 06:26:18 AM
Thanks Rapidray  :hatsoff:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: January 27, 2020, 12:27:04 PM
It is always great for info like this to be brought back to light :cheers: Either for a refresher or for newer members who have not seen it :tu: :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #44 on: January 27, 2020, 09:10:48 PM
 :hatsoff:
Keeps the interest going!
I seem to have developed an unexplained soft spot for the older MTs, like the PST, OG MultiPlier and OG Wave. Maybe it’s because they have some imperfections/peculiarities that give them a little more character?  :dunno:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 28, 2020, 01:43:35 AM
 :iagree:  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: January 28, 2020, 05:23:20 AM
I’m finding them all rather nice...especially the ones you Knights keep posting!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: January 28, 2020, 11:47:11 AM
:hatsoff:
Keeps the interest going!
I seem to have developed an unexplained soft spot for the older MTs, like the PST, OG MultiPlier and OG Wave. Maybe it’s because they have some imperfections/peculiarities that give them a little more character?  :dunno:

:iagree: I love the old school tools and they have a different feel to them than some of the newer tools 8) :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #48 on: January 28, 2020, 11:53:46 AM
:iagree: I love the old school tools and they have a different feel to them than some of the newer tools 8) :like:
The charming oddness of Zytel inserts. :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: January 29, 2020, 03:55:11 PM
The charming oddness of Zytel inserts. :D

:iagree: :like:

us Offline DirkDiggler65

Reply #50 on: December 27, 2021, 11:36:20 PM
Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. It's a gift that will keep giving for years to come I'm sure!

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD