Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Leap

Chako · 272 · 35250

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Leatherman Leap
Reply #60 on: October 01, 2014, 09:04:20 PM
Now I wish i ordered one to play with.  Who knows how long the wait will be till they re-release.
Wouldn't it be something if they didn't re-release it....

Highly collectible.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #61 on: October 01, 2014, 09:33:10 PM
 :think:

That is a bit odd.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 01, 2014, 10:34:24 PM
has anyone been able to confirm with Leatherman that there really is a recall? :think:

Kukamunga, it's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I would like to hear about this straight from Leatherman, rather than somebody at Cabela's who may or may not have correct information.

it very well could be a simple matter of a higher demand for the tool than they anticipated and not enough production. keep in mind that the Skeletool was especially hard to find when it was first released (especially the CX version) because of overwhelming demand...

I have a couple contacts at LM... I'll see if I can find any additional info.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #63 on: October 01, 2014, 10:56:40 PM
It doesnt make sense for it to be a supply problem.  It was gone from all stores and sites on the same day.  To me that means they recalled all of them and mighty fast. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #64 on: October 01, 2014, 11:03:35 PM
If there was a recall, wouldn't they have to make this public so that those that slipped the net and got into the hands of young users should be returned too? Surely they can't just recall the ones that some poor soul hasn't already bought

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #65 on: October 01, 2014, 11:04:21 PM
Just noticed this on EDCF 

http://edcforums.com/threads/the-leatherman-leap-the-multitool-for-kids.121699/#post-2059373

"SMKW had put them out on the shelves and LM has recalled them for a cut hazard, even without the blade, so may be a while before rerelease"

It would be nice if someone could verify that, but it's consistent with the situation.  My money is still on the wood saw for more dangerous than a knife.  I still have scars on my hands from being 10 and being bit with the SAK saw blade.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #66 on: October 01, 2014, 11:05:26 PM
If there was a recall, wouldn't they have to make this public so that those that slipped the net and got into the hands of young users should be returned too? Surely they can't just recall the ones that some poor soul hasn't already bought

Depends and thats in the realm of the lawyer types.  If you openly admit a problem, then you are liable.  If you take back all store stock for whatever reason then maybe you arent?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: October 01, 2014, 11:17:00 PM
There should be an official recall if that is the case.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: October 01, 2014, 11:24:27 PM

Depends and thats in the realm of the lawyer types.  If you openly admit a problem, then you are liable.  If you take back all store stock for whatever reason then maybe you arent?

Hmmm ... sounds iffy to me. I think the laws are different over here though.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: October 01, 2014, 11:25:17 PM
It doesnt make sense for it to be a supply problem.  It was gone from all stores and sites on the same day.  To me that means they recalled all of them and mighty fast.

good point, Syph... I forgot about that part. :-\

My money is still on the wood saw for more dangerous than a knife.  I still have scars on my hands from being 10 and being bit with the SAK saw blade.

that's where my money is as well. I actually have two Leaps at my house right now -- my parents bought them with the intent of giving them to their grandkids (my sons) for Christmas this year, but I asked to have some time to take a look at them so that I could remove the saw blade. A saw can do far more damage to hands/fingers than a knife blade IMO.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #70 on: October 01, 2014, 11:27:25 PM
There's certainly something fishy going on. Their silence on the matter is suspect, coupled with the speed they took them off the market.

My guess is there's either a quality issue related to safety, like say plastic handles not taking the beating or plastic (?) lock tabs failing, or maybe some parents were vehement against pointy scissors, wood saw, blade being offered to children. 

Maybe they just wanted to create a value pack with the Leap and the Funny Watch in short notice?  :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #71 on: October 01, 2014, 11:32:06 PM
Well it will be interesting to see what the revision is.  Saw and blade not pre-installed?  Maybe not 'kid' marketed?  More warnings?

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #72 on: October 01, 2014, 11:32:14 PM
Kukamunga, it's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I would like to hear about this straight from Leatherman, rather than somebody at Cabela's who may or may not have correct information.

Yeah, I have no problem with that, Breezy.  I'd much prefer that there was NOT a recall, for a number of reasons.  All I know is what the Cabela's person told me on the phone.  She said recall, plain & simple.  I asked if she had any more info - about why, whether she knew of any kind of re-release plans.  No; just recalled - end of story.  Then, LM's version when I called them.  It's possible the LM person somehow didn't have the info Cabela's had.  Not likely, but possible...

Was quite looking forward to getting two of these for the little monkeyz.  That - and I'm not looking for LM to have some nightmare legal scenario [or kids getting hurt].  I want them to stay permanent in the multi tool firmament, if you will.

So, I'm looking forward to some straightforward info sometime soon, give or take.
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: October 01, 2014, 11:37:49 PM
I agree. I am also curious to see what changes will be made if any. I hope they don't just take them off the market as a bad idea. With the iffy blade exchanger system, saw, and scissors, I am sure they could have made it a whole lot more kid friendly.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: October 01, 2014, 11:39:26 PM
So, I'm looking forward to some straightforward info sometime soon

Yup  :tu: C'mon LM .... what happened?

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: October 02, 2014, 05:46:53 AM
Mine came in Yesterday. As soon as I read that they had withdrawn it I went searching...
Found it instantly here in the UK (asadventure) I couldn't afford all three  :facepalm: but I wanted the green one, my son wanted the red one....needless to say the red one arrived yesterday. I also got paid yesterday so went back to grab the green one and there is nothing, no explanation, no apology nothing!!! Nor can I find it anywhere now

The recall certainly was global and very swift.
It must be something very very serious.

I'm beginning to wonder all sorts. It seems leatherman is determined to keep this under wraps!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: October 02, 2014, 07:57:22 PM

Yeah, I have no problem with that, Breezy.  I'd much prefer that there was NOT a recall, for a number of reasons.  All I know is what the Cabela's person told me on the phone.  She said recall, plain & simple.  I asked if she had any more info - about why, whether she knew of any kind of re-release plans.  No; just recalled - end of story.  Then, LM's version when I called them.  It's possible the LM person somehow didn't have the info Cabela's had.  Not likely, but possible...

Was quite looking forward to getting two of these for the little monkeyz.  That - and I'm not looking for LM to have some nightmare legal scenario [or kids getting hurt].  I want them to stay permanent in the multi tool firmament, if you will.

So, I'm looking forward to some straightforward info sometime soon, give or take.

I agree with you, Kukamunga -- I certainly don't want a legal headache for LM, or kids getting hurt, like you said. :salute:

I heard back from my contact at LM, and all they were able to tell me is that "We haven’t issued anything official, but we will soon."

Looks like LM is being very careful with this... I hope there's good news coming for those who have already purchased a Leap or two.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: October 02, 2014, 08:04:46 PM
If they make a visible revision, that means I am in for another 3.  ;)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: October 02, 2014, 08:09:25 PM
If they make a visible revision, that means I am in for another 3.  ;)

Ha Ha  :rofl:
Man, you've got it bad!!  :pok:  :rofl:

However, I'm seriously kicking myself now for not grabbing the green one. :ahhh

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: October 02, 2014, 08:38:42 PM
 :multi:  :whistle:  :D

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:06 PM
Touché  :salute:

us Offline geekdadrepair

Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 07:40:53 PM
I bought one of these for my 6 year old for Christmas, I think it will be fine with supervision and teaching. I am a firm believer in teaching kids about dangerous things, show them to respect them. I believe it shows them you are paying attention, and removes the taboo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 07:44:40 PM
I bought one of these for my 6 year old for Christmas, I think it will be fine with supervision and teaching. I am a firm believer in teaching kids about dangerous things, show them to respect them. I believe it shows them you are paying attention, and removes the taboo.

6!  :facepalm:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #83 on: October 03, 2014, 07:52:48 PM

well I got my first pocketknife from my grandfather when I was 7 and my first set of woodworking tools when I was 4. Was playing with grandfathers saws and hammers before that.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=41838.0

Never lost a digit. ;)

If you teach your kids proper tool use safety and not to be afraid of them, I think it's a lot better than the current "scare of anything sharp".
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:56:52 PM by enki_ck »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #84 on: October 03, 2014, 08:02:07 PM
I was VERY young when I got my first pen knife, but it was a tiny one. I was 5 and my dad taught me to whittle.  It was one of the very small 2 bladed buck type knives.  Cant remember anymore if it was official or a knock off.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 08:05:51 PM
I got my first SAK when I was 6...

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: October 03, 2014, 08:08:43 PM
Famous Last Words.

Giving a young child a mini champ is one thing, MT's are entirely different in my book. - but that's my own personal  view, I'm not looking for an argument.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: October 03, 2014, 08:11:22 PM

well I got my first pocketknife from my grandfather when I was 7 and my first set of woodworking tools when I was 4. Was playing with grandfathers saws and hammers before that.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=41838.0

Never lost a digit. ;)

If you teach your kids proper tool use safety and not to be afraid of them, I think it's a lot better than the current "scare of anything sharp".

I wholeheartedly agree, Nikola. :cheers:

My boys are currently 7 and 5. They have both loved looking at my collection and "helping" me clean up my tools ever since they were old enough to understand what was going on. :) I let them open the tools and have a look at them, but they knew that the knife blade was off-limits.

I gave each of them a Style PS for their 5th birthday, and they were thrilled to get their very own Leatherman. I explained to them that these were tools, not toys, and they needed to use them as such. They have each managed to pinch themselves a couple times, but for the most part have shown responsible behavior and done a good job taking care of their tools.

My older son wanted to try using a knife this past summer while we were camping. I agreed, and told him that because he had been responsible and made good choices with his bladeless MT, I would let him try using a knife (under supervision) on our camping trips. He did a great job, and was very proud of the fact that he sharpened his own stick for roasting marshmallows. :)

I'm considering giving him his first knife for his 8th birthday in March. (either a smaller LM or an SAK, I haven't decided yet.) will he get cut? I'm sure of it! My Vic Tinker bit me plenty of times when I first got it. ;) Will he lose a digit or end up with some other more serious injury? I doubt it, because he has learned to use these tools responsibly, and he knows full well that if he doesn't use them responsibly, they will be taken away from him.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: October 03, 2014, 08:19:09 PM
I mean I still occasionally cut myself now. Accidents happen, but proper took education and etiquette can help cut down on the number of accidents, regardless of age.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #89 on: October 03, 2014, 08:22:39 PM
Famous Last Words.

Giving a young child a mini champ is one thing, MT's are entirely different in my book. - but that's my own personal  view, I'm not looking for an argument.

Not an argument, just a discussion. After all this is what this place is for, to discuss tools and their uses, be it by us or by the ones around us, in this case children. :D

It's every parents personal choice what and he/she decides to let his kid use, but that usually ends up with them doing so behind your back. ;) This way at least you can supervise them and teach them how to use the tools properly.

And just for the record, I've hurt myself much more often when I was a kid while using a hammer than I did while using a saw, chisel or knife, and I used all of them a lot. My grandfather was a carpenter and my favorite playground was his workshop. Heck when I was 3 I had to have my tonsils removed. My mother had to promise me she'd buy me a bag of nails if I behaved while I was in the hospital. I used all of them when I got home.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:24:13 PM by enki_ck »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD