Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are you a Corkscrew person, a Phillips screwdriver person, or neither? And why?

Beery · 106 · 10255

Poll

On the SAK you use most, which tool goes in that slot that can only fit a corkscrew or Phillips screwdriver?

Phillips screwdriver
Corkscrew
My SAK doesn't have that slot

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
I wear glasses, so I much prefer the corkscrew (with mini screwdriver) over a Phillips, though I'll still happily carry a Phillips-equipped, or even bare (I'm looking at you, Recruit, Cadet, and Apprentice, or, you know, any 93mm standard Alox model). :D

nz Offline KiwiMark

I voted corkscrew:

My eyesight is OK but I sometimes wear sunglasses and there is always the possibility of encountering someone that needs assistance for their glasses - I like having the small screwdriver available.

I really don't like the back layer Phillips screwdriver, maybe I've been spoiled by my Cybertool 34?

I don't drink wine but again there is the possibility of encountering someone that does and I can be the 'hero'.

When I do need a Phillips screwdriver I have the can opener and also I tend to have either my Manager or Rambler with me on my key ring (depending on which keyring I have, I almost always have one or both) - so I'm not really able to think of any great reason for needing the back layer Phillips.

The corkscrew can be used for other tasks which makes it more worth having than if it only removed corks from wine bottles.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
The corkscrew is far more popular than I would have expected! :)

So the question is... what do people use the corkscrew for? Or is the value mainly so it can hold the small screwdriver inside it? :)

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
In my case I usually have a rally on my keys and the Phillips combo tool there is pretty good for most small office and home type things.
I opened 5 bottles of wine in one evening in the last month when piss poor planning saw us without an opener at a party.  EvoWood 10 to the rescue.

When I go camping I switch to a Trailmaster 111 or an EvoGrip S18 with the driver.  I see more uses for the driver out in the bush around cars, boats etc that in usual EDC.

Having said that I am getting a Hunstman soon so will have the choice.
I usually have a spare screwdriver in a nearby toolkit as opposed to a corkscrew just lying around.  Ask around for a driver or a corkscrew and see what you get.
I bet you would be offered a driver and be stuck without a corkscrew.

de Offline HankSolon

Since I sometimes drink wine on parties or beeing on tour with my Hunter I really appreciate a corkscrew for

- opening wine bottles
- open knots
- screw it into some wood to use my hole knife as a fast coat hook

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
I was always the philips type but now I prefer both so if I carry a sak other than my Manager on my keys, it is the Explorer so I can use the corkscrew to hold the mini screwdriver to use on glasses and the inline philips is there if I need it.  :D

00 Offline Jan

The corkscrew is far more popular than I would have expected! :)

So the question is... what do people use the corkscrew for? Or is the value mainly so it can hold the small screwdriver inside it? :)

I don't wear glasses, so for me it is the occasional bottle of wine  ;)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
So the question is... what do people use the corkscrew for? Or is the value mainly so it can hold the small screwdriver inside it?

As noted earlier, my main uses are probably opening corked bottles, untying knots, and holding the mini-screwdriver.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
So the question is... what do people use the corkscrew for? Or is the value mainly so it can hold the small screwdriver inside it?

As noted earlier, my main uses are probably opening corked bottles, untying knots, and holding the mini-screwdriver.

^this. Although there are sometimes other uses (limited only by your imagination 8)).

Offline ToneGrail

• New User
I was at a party when this really hot girl showed up with a bottle of wine but no one had a corkscrew. I whipped out my Climber and saved the day. I ended up talking to her all night and got her number. We ended up dating for a short time.

The Phillips head never got me laid. So I vote corkscrew!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Great story!  :cheers:

I'm a corkscrew person simply because I find it more useful, especially with the mini screwdriver, than the backspring Phillips.  The Phillips is awkward and doesn't fit many screws properly.  The inline Phillips is the way to go if you need a dedicated driver, and the can opener works well for #2 screws in a pinch.
- Terry

ch Offline Gio

I’m on the “Evil” Phillips side. Never used the corkscrew. I’m a hiker/tinker kinda guy
“What kind of music do you dumbasses even play?”
“Symphonic post-apocalyptic reindeer-grinding Christ-abusing extreme war pagan fennoscandian metal.”

Heavy Trip (2018 movie)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
I can usually rig a tool to use on a phillips head.

The substitute for a cork screw usually ends up with bits of cork in my wine.LOL
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
If I'm carrying a pliers tool, that will handle the Phillips requirement, so I don't need one on the knife. However, if that pliers tool is a Spirit, which is currently the only locking blade pliers tool that I'll leave the house with, then I want an inline Phillips on the knife to minimise the need for the locking blade tool. Inline Phillips means I'll probably have the corkscrew too.

If I'm not carrying a separate pliers tool, and just working with the Dime on my keyring, then I'd prefer to have a Phillips on the keys. If I'm going lightweight, that will be a DofE or Salesman, so no corkscrew. If I'm carrying a larger knife, I'll have both inline Phillips and corkscrew.

I have no idea what all that means I should vote for, so I won't bother.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team

:rofl:

Interesting you mention a Phillips on the keys...  I always carry a Rambler on my keys, and that little Phillps will fit just about anything, so I'm covering my needs much of the time even if I don't have a Phillips driver on my "main" SAK.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:04:07 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

Maybe you should try answering the question posed in the poll. :pok: ;)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Wow...this is a long running poll. Missing an option...No Preference. Personally I have no preference. I really don’t use either that much.

• Zombie Apprentice

Maybe you should try answering the question posed in the poll. :pok: ;)

I don't use anything consistently enough for that  :ahhh

Besides which, I appear to have voted corkscrew at some point in the past and then forgotten about it  :whistle:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
My most used SAK atm is  the BuSchroder, a 93mm alox without the slot. I voted correspondingly.

Most other SAKs in my collection have a corkscrew. I think the officer´s knives need a corkscrew, that´s the way they were originally. The Phillips is a fairly recent addition, which I suspect was done for the US market initially. Though I´m not sure.

PS I also carry a Waiter  :D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:12:44 PM by Ron Who »

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Most other SAKs in my collection have a corkscrew. I think the officer´s knives need a corkscrew, that´s the way they were originally. The Phillips is a fairly recent addition, which I suspect was done for the US market initially.

I suppose if you consider the 1950's, possibly earlier, fairly recent...  :whistle:

You sound like more of a corkscrew person than a "missing slot" person.  :D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:28:50 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Most other SAKs in my collection have a corkscrew. I think the officer´s knives need a corkscrew, that´s the way they were originally. The Phillips is a fairly recent addition, which I suspect was done for the US market initially.

I suppose if you consider the 1950's, possibly earlier, fairly recent...  :whistle:

You sound like more of a corkscrew person than a "missing slot" person.  :D

Fairly recent in SAK history, that is. And yes, I´m a corkscrew person. I have a few 111mm with Phillips drivers though.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
As I mentioned in reply #46,I will buy both.I prefer the cork screw models but whenever there is a model that has a tool compliment that I want or like but it doesn't have the cork screw, I will buy it.

Two examples are the Deluxe Tinker and the Mechanic.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
If I'm carrying a pliers tool, that will handle the Phillips requirement, so I don't need one on the knife. However, if that pliers tool is a Spirit, which is currently the only locking blade pliers tool that I'll leave the house with, then I want an inline Phillips on the knife to minimise the need for the locking blade tool. Inline Phillips means I'll probably have the corkscrew too.
If I'm not carrying a separate pliers tool, and just working with the Dime on my keyring, then I'd prefer to have a Phillips on the keys. If I'm going lightweight, that will be a DofE or Salesman, so no corkscrew. If I'm carrying a larger knife, I'll have both inline Phillips and corkscrew.
It must be so complicated leaving your house AM - Please post a decision tree so we can understand the process   ???   :think:  ;)

I was at a party when this really hot girl showed up with a bottle of wine but no one had a corkscrew. I whipped out my Climber and saved the day. I ended up talking to her all night and got her number. We ended up dating for a short time.

This story had me laughing out loud  (- Sorry office !!)   :D 
I have the same story - But without the hot girl or getting laid - So much prefer yours !!   :whistle:

PS. This debate will never die !!!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
It must be so complicated leaving your house AM - Please post a decision tree so we can understand the process   ???   :think:  ;)

This story had me laughing out loud  (- Sorry office !!)   :D 
I have the same story - But without the hot girl or getting laid - So much prefer yours !!   :whistle:

PS. This debate will never die !!!
:iagree:

• Zombie Apprentice

It all makes sense to me  :D

Maybe this will help...
IMG_20181025_231041_edit_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20181025_231041_edit_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 74.57 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club

It all makes sense to me  :D

Maybe this will help...
I love flow charts! Big time!  :cheers:

nl Offline EMZ

My preference is the cork screw.
If in need the screw driver on the can opener functions as a Phillips, but the backside Phillips can never function as a cork screw!
I can recall several occasions when somebody took a bottle of wine to the camp site, but not having a cork screw. The first time it happened, I had my DAK Pioneer with me, but it had no cork screw. Later occasions went along fine, because I had the cork screws on my Vic.

When at home I rarely use the tools of my SAK's. For small repairs I use a Leatherman, for bigger ones I use real tools, and for complicated works (almost everythign that exceeds screwing/unscrewing) I have to hire an expert.

nl Offline EMZ

It happened to me also! But it ended up that she dated another guy... :facepalm:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club

za Offline Deruoli

I thought I am a corkscrew guy. When in Brunnen I had to decide between a corkscrew or a phillips in the knife I assembled. I went for the phillips. So I had a Tinker and not a Spartan.  I therefore must be a phillips person!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%