Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any interest in a minimalist SAK challenge?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Any interest in a minimalist SAK challenge?
Reply #60 on: September 26, 2014, 06:36:51 PM
Honestly, for many whom are using Spartan or Tinker as EDC, restricting to 2 layers would just be a walk in the park.  I think to include everyone, maybe we could consider the idea to 'downgrade' at least 1-2 layer or tools numbers, base on what you have now?  And people are allow to switch, so as long the same staying in the same downgraded layers.

So at the end of the month, we could figure out what we do or do not miss.

So if Sorel had been just using Bantam, he could try the Solo.  >:D :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #61 on: September 26, 2014, 06:47:41 PM
:rofl:

I will not be taking part in this madness.

+1

This is interesting though, and would indeed be a real challenge for me.  Not from a necessity/usage of various tools, but from separation anxiety.  I don't think I could go a full 30 days without carrying my Rogueneer at the very least.  I also like to carry a multitool as well, so only carrying a minimalist SAK would be quite a shock to me, even though it would very possibly be sufficient. 
K-Tibbs

england Offline Beery

• Ayup! Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman.
Reply #62 on: September 26, 2014, 06:59:22 PM
Actually, the Wenger can-opener is a real handicap, as it results in no small screw-driver.

Sand down the tip of the Wenger nail file just a tad and it works fine as both a Phillips and a small flat-head screwdriver. I've done this on all my Wenger EDC SACs and it's just as effective as the screwdriver on the end of the Victorinox can opener.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:03:57 PM by Beery »
"See all, 'eer all, say nowt.
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt.
An' if tha ivver duz owt for nowt,
allus do it fer thi-sen."

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #63 on: September 26, 2014, 07:04:46 PM
I also think I too would have to carry a MT just in case.  I don't use them much, and would refrain from doing so if the SAK would suffice (and be honest about it), but I wouldn't like not carrying one.  Also, I don't actually have a 2 layer SAK.  If I had to pick one, it would likely be a Compact since it has scissors and the Plus scales.  I've kind of been interested in trying to have a go with a Pioneer as my SAK, but I don't have one, and would really miss the scissors.  Still somewhat interested in this though, but don't think I can up and buy one right now.  I really want the black Pioneer with the red shield, but those aren't very cheap.
K-Tibbs

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #64 on: September 26, 2014, 07:08:31 PM
If I may suggest... Can we amend the rule to "3 layers or less"? This would include those like the Farmer, etc and probably bring in a lot more participation. Some here may not be able to go out and buy a new knife right now for example due to needs or budget, etc.

I'm a Pioneer guy here and could easily do it, but I'm thinking that some here may appreciate 3 layers... :)

For a lot of people that might be too easy I reckon  :think:

My original intent was to see how little I could get by with, so that's why I suggested 2 layers max, as it may be too easy for some.

That being said, if your EDC is an XLT, even the champ could be minimalist.

The whole point is to challenge yourself to be creative and do more with less, and have fun.  If 3 layers is what it takes, than go with it!  :D
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #65 on: September 26, 2014, 07:11:03 PM

I will not be taking part in this madness.
:imws:
why would anyone think of doing this ?
what's next *who can do the longest without their medication*  :think:

Well, at least there will still be folks around with real tools to bail us minimalists out if we come up short!
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #66 on: September 26, 2014, 07:13:46 PM
The natural outgrowth of this thread will be a new one titled Maximalist Challenge: 5 SAKs for 30 days.

Were I to participate in the instant challenge, it would be with a Classic SD.  Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.  I really think I could get by just fine with a Classic SD.  I just don't want to.  :)

Honestly, for many whom are using Spartan or Tinker as EDC, restricting to 2 layers would just be a walk in the park.  I think to include everyone, maybe we could consider the idea to 'downgrade' at least 1-2 layer or tools numbers, base on what you have now?  And people are allow to switch, so as long the same staying in the same downgraded layers.

I've thought about using just the alox classic on my keys for this challenge too.  Since my EDC is a pioneer, it is actually a bit hard to go much more minimalist and still have a full size blade.  I've thought about the bantam, but I'm not sure how much of a challenge that will actually be.  Plus, I'm kind of surprised that they seem to run at $15.  I alwyas figured they'd be around $10...

I really don't know if the classic's blade is long enough for my daily tasks, though.  Especially at work.  :think:

england Offline Beery

• Ayup! Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman.
Reply #67 on: September 26, 2014, 07:26:27 PM
If the competition were limited to two tool layers, I'd be torn between the Vic Compact (for its scissors) and the Vic Sportsman (which I hate because the file ruins the main blade) or Wenger Evo 10 (which is virtually the same as the Sportsman, and which has the Phillips screwdriver capability if modification is allowed). I'd probably go for the latter, as I find the knife can do the job of scissors.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:40:08 PM by Beery »
"See all, 'eer all, say nowt.
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt.
An' if tha ivver duz owt for nowt,
allus do it fer thi-sen."

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: September 26, 2014, 07:31:34 PM
If we were limited to two layers,then I know full well I can get by with a DofE,or if a mod is allowed,my Duke of Blamington.

Now,being limited to a M1961,a Cadet,or a Recruit.... :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: September 26, 2014, 07:40:03 PM
Hmmm I think I should oil and sharpen my Tinker. Life w/o scissors or saw could suck but I'm in.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:43:02 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: September 26, 2014, 07:40:06 PM

I like this idea.  Dropping layers down from what you're used to, but still having some options instead of picking one knife for a month. 

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #71 on: September 26, 2014, 08:03:19 PM
Could carry a Pioneer/Soldier or even my old Golfer (Compact) but I really need at least 3 layers to get through my day. Lots of different things come up out here in the sticks.

I just can't do it....I'm already livin' on the edge carrying a Wenger this week! >:D :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:08:11 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #72 on: September 26, 2014, 09:02:00 PM
Hmmm I think I should oil and sharpen my Tinker. Life w/o scissors or saw could suck but I'm in.
And pliers, file, OH blade, bit exchangers and.........
Not sure if I can do it, but I am gonna get it one hell of a go.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #73 on: September 26, 2014, 10:09:29 PM
I can´t life without that Blue Climber in my working vest... !!!!  :twak:  :twak:  :rant:   :rant:
What do ya think about?  >:D

... Just kidding!

I´ve carried a regular traditional jackknife for a quite long time and kept my SAKs at home ... So I could go easily with an Electrician / Cadet / Tinker / or whatever for some time

Hopefully for a month.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #74 on: September 26, 2014, 10:26:41 PM
I went looking for my Compact for this, took me ten minutes to find it. :facepalm: Discovered it in the two layer box with a bunch of other good choices including the Wenger Diplomat, then spent a few minutes trying to decide which one to choose. :D

And then I decided that would be too easy and chose to go with a Vic Ecoline Waiter (+eyeglass screwdriver). I bit less hardcore than the Bantam crowd but I decided to add a twist to it. ;) (pun intended :P )

AND FOR ANYONE UP TO AN ADDITIONAL MINIMALIST CHALLENGE:

To go full old school minimalist (while still keeping our clothes on) is anyone up to pairing their minimalist SAK with a minimalist flashlight? A 5mm LED only month? >:D

Once we decide on our carry, we start the Official Minimalist Challenge thread and see who can resist the longest before reaching for a multi or 3+ layered SAK and a multi-mode flashlight. :2tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #75 on: September 26, 2014, 10:34:01 PM
Well, my EDC flashlight is a Fenix E05, so not far off as minimal as you can get.  :D. I think I'll try to do this with some style and use my new red old cross Pioneer for the month. I know I'll miss the small blade and Phillips on the Tinker but it should be OK.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #76 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:52 PM
I went looking for my Compact for this, took me ten minutes to find it. :facepalm: Discovered it in the two layer box with a bunch of other good choices including the Wenger Diplomat, then spent a few minutes trying to decide which one to choose. :D

And then I decided that would be too easy and chose to go with a Vic Ecoline Waiter (+eyeglass screwdriver). I bit less hardcore than the Bantam crowd but I decided to add a twist to it. ;) (pun intended :P )

To go full old school minimalist (while still keeping our clothes on) is anyone up to pairing their minimalist SAK with a minimalist flashlight? A 5mm LED only month? >:D

Once we decide on our carry, we start the Official Minimalist Challenge thread and see who can resist the longest before reaching for a multi or 3+ layered SAK and a multi-mode flashlight. :2tu:

That would be way easier than the tool challenge for me. Six months ago it would have been a real challenge, but at the moment lighting a rabbits fart would prob be enough for most jobs .... not that I'm proposing we all move to EDCing bean fed rodents and firesteel you understand  :whistle:

I'm having second thoughts about taking that nice horn scaled Wenger into a work environment though  :ahhh I might need to find something else compatible for the challenge that I don't mind getting a bit more abuse for the work element

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 10:42:51 PM
I'm having second thoughts about taking that nice horn scaled Wenger into a work environment though  :ahhh I might need to find something else compatible for the challenge that I don't mind getting a bit more abuse for the work element

Hence the Ecoline Vic for me. ;) I considered the GAK for a split second but I'd probably kill it with fire before the week was through.

>:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: September 26, 2014, 11:04:13 PM
You still having nightmares about the saw?  :P :D

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #79 on: September 26, 2014, 11:15:19 PM

If I can find my E01, I'm in!

If we really wanted to go old school, we could break out the solitaires ;)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: September 26, 2014, 11:21:38 PM
If I can find my E01, I'm in!

If we really wanted to go old school, we could break out the solitaires ;)

If I can use my 3mm LED drop-in in it, I'm game. >:D

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #81 on: September 26, 2014, 11:26:56 PM
To me a minimalistic sak is like the Manager that I carry on my keys!  I dont use it everyday though but it is always with me and alot of times, I leave my Salt 1 at home and just carry the sak.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: September 27, 2014, 12:49:06 AM
You don't? ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: September 27, 2014, 12:50:28 AM
You don't? ;)
No I just keep cracking up laughing at the thought of you struggling with it  >:D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: September 27, 2014, 12:56:26 AM
You don't? ;)
No I just keep cracking up laughing at the thought of you struggling with it  >:D
I was actually thinking of doing another saw test as I have a few saws I didn't have back then and might need voloneers to do comparison tests. :whistle:

I need to source a Gerber saw and maybe a Wenger Professional first. I think I'm at a dozeb different ones now.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: September 27, 2014, 01:11:07 AM
You don't? ;)
I was actually thinking of doing another saw test as I have a few saws I didn't have back then and might need voloneers to do comparison tests. :whistle:

I need to source a Gerber saw and maybe a Wenger Professional first. I think I'm at a dozeb different ones now.

So which extra ones do you have now?

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #86 on: September 27, 2014, 01:16:33 AM
You don't? ;)

I saw enki's video, I didn't leave a comment back them.

I wasn't surprised by the poor performance of the GAK's wood saw, given the relatively short stroke caused by the combo tool on the saw's end and also the fact that the teeth seem geared mainly towards a push stroke and that's only half of a push-pull stroke.   

Also, I remember his surprise at the unexpected poor performance of the Spirit's wood saw, for which I'd like to mention a couple of thoughts if you don't mind. First is that initially I was drawn back by it's size, it's shorter and thicker than the one on 91+93mm SAKs but I realised it's for the best since like this it's harder for it to bend and it's easier to accidentaly put a lot of force sideways and cause the saw blade to become bent when used with the handle extended.

The second thing, the wood saw feels way more efficient to me when I use it with the handles extended. 

:think: Which reminds me...
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #87 on: September 27, 2014, 01:29:59 AM
As for the minimalist madness challenge, I'm all for it though I won't be taking part either.

I consider as my true EDC what I carry in my pants' pockets and my watch. So my EDC carry now consists of a Vic Pioneer wrapped in a handerchief, a alox Rambler (forgoing T&T is fairly minimalist, I'm sure many agree) and a Fenix E01 attached to it, apart from keys, wallet and a mini Bic lighter.

Not taking part because I'm very rarely eager to leave my bag behind for long and there live a Vic Handyman, a Spirit, a Fenix LD12. I was considering adding a Ecoline Climber to the mix :facepalm: but that would be even more of an overkill.  :cheers:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: September 27, 2014, 01:33:02 AM

So which extra ones do you have now?

SOG, full sized Swisstool, 130mm Wenger Ranger and I didn't test the ST300 back then.

firiki, I agree with some of the points But I think it's better we save it for the designated saw test thread in a few days. :D

gr Offline firiki

Reply #89 on: September 27, 2014, 02:28:16 AM
:popcorn: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56