Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Official 30-Day Minimalist SAK Challenge!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Official 30-Day Minimalist SAK Challenge!
Reply #60 on: October 01, 2014, 03:51:42 PM
The minimalist flash light challenge is optional  :cheers:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #61 on: October 01, 2014, 03:52:47 PM
I've had to use the blade on my Sentry to remove some staples.  Seems like that may be slightly dangerous  :ahhh

It really is difficult having a blade only.  Looking forward to my Wengerinox Bantam
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 01, 2014, 04:01:13 PM
The minimalist flash light challenge is optional  :cheers:
And I was going to skip this one.  But, might as well go all in.  So I switched for my Princeton Tec Pulsar (fauxton).  I'll have to figure the best way to carry it when I switch to a knife with no key ring :think:

Day 1:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #63 on: October 01, 2014, 04:08:26 PM
Ok, official pic (crappy cell shot, ran out of time before work).

Compact, P2 and Bic. 30 days, here we go!
IMG_3316.JPG
* IMG_3316.JPG (Filesize: 242.19 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: October 01, 2014, 04:13:42 PM
I'm in slipped the Tinkerer in my pocket.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline arizonaranchman

• the SAK Pioneer rules!
Reply #65 on: October 01, 2014, 04:18:43 PM
Morning has broken! The Pioneer is in my pocket and I'm beaming with confidence that we'll blast through this month with ease. :D

PS: What's a 5mm flashlight? Does my Streamlight PT1AA qualify? I've EDC'd this for about 3+ yrs or so but not sure what the 5mm thing refers to - bulb size perhaps?

EDC: Vic Pioneer

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #66 on: October 01, 2014, 04:18:52 PM
Sun's up so here's the group shot of main, alt and light.

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #67 on: October 01, 2014, 04:19:50 PM
Oh my GOD WHAT THE smurf WAS I THINKING?!?! Gahhhhh!!!
I Want my SURGE!!!
On a good note, the Compact has been doing what I have asked of it. Just had to make some trips back to the shop at work. Tools like pliers, Phillips driver, and a wire cutter. I really miss my OH blades. I am use to grabbing stuff and opening my blade at the same time.
I did kinda freaked out at for a second. I am so use to carrying my Surge on my side and without thinking I reached for it, and it was not there. I had that gutted and panicked feeling that my Surge was lost. Then I remembered it was safe and sound at home.
All and all, not to bad. So far. Just some extra trips, but a couple pounds lighter. We will see how I do on the farm after work.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #68 on: October 01, 2014, 04:23:55 PM
I Want my SURGE!!!
On a good note, the Compact has been doing what I have asked of it. Just had to make some trips back to the shop at work. Tools like pliers, Phillips driver, and a wire cutter. I really miss my OH blades. I am use to grabbing stuff and opening my blade at the same time.
I did kinda freaked out at for a second. I am so use to carrying my Surge on my side and without thinking I reached for it, and it was not there. I had that gutted and panicked feeling that my Surge was lost. Then I remembered it was safe and sound at home.
All and all, not to bad. So far. Just some extra trips, but a couple pounds lighter. We will see how I do on the farm after work.
Nate

I hear ya.

Felt odd not having the extra weight/bulk of a full SAK or the MT sheath on my hip. Felt like I hadn't properly dressed this morning. Thankfully, the feeling has passed (might change if I need a tool I don't have though).

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #69 on: October 01, 2014, 04:26:29 PM

I Want my SURGE!!!
Nate

I have the same issues, having to make trips back to the shop SUCKS.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline Sorel

Reply #70 on: October 01, 2014, 04:35:50 PM
...but a couple pounds lighter.
I for one am positively enjoying not having a Spartan dangling by p7 in my jeans pocket. That works, but not extremely well, especially when I also have my wallet crammed into the same pocket. I can't even feel the Bantam in my back pocket right now, but it did just fine with breakfast earlier.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #71 on: October 01, 2014, 04:50:38 PM
I'm always in! Led Lenser K1, Leatherman Style PS. I alternate the SAK/knife to complement these. Lately it's been the Alox Cadet. I might trade it for the Sportsman (a few more options but still just 2 layers).

It'll be fairly easy to just use these. I don't have the need for much tools and the small tasks I need to take care off are pretty much covered.

8) 8)
EDC 01.jpg
* EDC 01.jpg (Filesize: 135.88 KB)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:52:59 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: October 01, 2014, 05:19:17 PM
Day I - Wenger Wednesday with Champion Spotlight

Mostly light tasks (opening letters, punching holes in the Blini package, chopping an apple to pieces). While preparing lunch I was wishing for a bigger blade, spreading radish mousse was not easy (I used a pearl spoon for the caviar :D).

Shortly before the end of my workday, I was supposed to exchange a hard-drive. Let me tell you, the nail-file does not work for that, so I post-phoned that task for tomorrow when I will be carrying the Midnight Manager.
D01_crusader_spotlight.jpg
* D01_crusader_spotlight.jpg (Filesize: 324.91 KB)
D01_apple_01.jpg
* D01_apple_01.jpg (Filesize: 371.07 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #73 on: October 01, 2014, 05:34:23 PM
I lied earlier.  I am going with a black Executive instead of a red one.  Its flavor matches nicely with that of the Fenix E05 (2014).

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #74 on: October 01, 2014, 05:38:04 PM
Challenge accepted!  :salute:

I'll be going at it with my old cross red Pioneer.  I don't think it'll be too hard to not want to veer off, as I have been using that SAK for most cutting duties, and my MT seldom leaves it's sheath.  The weekends will be a bit harder though as I like to have scissors and tweezers on me, but I think I'll be able to manage.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #75 on: October 01, 2014, 05:47:33 PM
:2tu: EXCELLENT Dude D-Mac!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Reply #76 on: October 01, 2014, 05:52:18 PM
[…] The weekends will be a bit harder though as I like to have scissors and tweezers on me, but I think I'll be able to manage.
And then you can go for a Compact!  :D
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #77 on: October 01, 2014, 05:54:09 PM
[…] The weekends will be a bit harder though as I like to have scissors and tweezers on me, but I think I'll be able to manage.
I don't have a compact.  :facepalm:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #78 on: October 01, 2014, 05:57:00 PM
I don't have a compact.  :facepalm:

Well then get one man! :pok: >:D

It looks like we may have a Compact Club and a OC Red Pioneer Club going in the challenge.  Will there be any gang wars here? :SAKnight:
K-Tibbs

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #79 on: October 01, 2014, 05:57:27 PM
Yeah, that raises a Rules Inquiry for the commissioner.  Do we have to stick to the same minimalist SAK the whole time, or can you switch between minimalist SAKs?  The former is more in line with the spirit of suffering that this challenge is intended to create.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #80 on: October 01, 2014, 06:06:00 PM
I lied earlier.  I am going with a black Executive instead of a red one.  Its flavor matches nicely with that of the Fenix E05 (2014).

(Image removed from quote.)

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #81 on: October 01, 2014, 06:14:53 PM
I'm in with my Wenger SI - I was on a training course today so I only used it for fruit.

Thanks for the GAW too - I'd love to win a swisstool! Cheers.

Good luck everyone

:salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #82 on: October 01, 2014, 06:28:51 PM
Yeah, that raises a Rules Inquiry for the commissioner.  Do we have to stick to the same minimalist SAK the whole time, or can you switch between minimalist SAKs?  The former is more in line with the spirit of suffering that this challenge is intended to create.

In general, I think it is more keeping in the spirit to stick with the same knife.

I do think there are some OK exceptions.  For instance myself and Monrogue are making due with what minimal knife we can find until ours arrive, then we will switch. 

Also, switching from a pioneer to an SI for Wenger Wednesday seems OK since it is the same tool set.

Still, its all about the fun of the challenge, so whatever floats your boat.  Just fess up if you "cheat."  :cheers:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #83 on: October 01, 2014, 06:30:02 PM
Morning has broken! The Pioneer is in my pocket and I'm beaming with confidence that we'll blast through this month with ease. :D
(Image removed from quote.)

I really like this pic  :tu:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #84 on: October 01, 2014, 06:31:29 PM

Mostly light tasks (opening letters, punching holes in the Blini package, chopping an apple to pieces). While preparing lunch I was wishing for a bigger blade, spreading radish mousse was not easy (I used a pearl spoon for the caviar :D).

Shortly before the end of my workday, I was supposed to exchange a hard-drive. Let me tell you, the nail-file does not work for that, so I post-phoned that task for tomorrow when I will be carrying the Midnight Manager.

Now that's hard core minimalist!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #85 on: October 01, 2014, 06:32:43 PM
I Want my SURGE!!!
Nate

:rofl:

At least the Compact is keeping up

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: October 01, 2014, 06:41:40 PM
I Want my SURGE!!!
Nate

At least the Compact is keeping up

I had the same, thought I lost my blade :ahhh, then I thougt I lost my Crusader Spot Light (its so small it vanished in my pockets) :ahhh

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: October 01, 2014, 06:44:31 PM

Now that's hard core minimalist!
Well, I do work in an office so my tool requirement are lower than others, so in all fairness I needed to go this far.
But seriously, that tiny blade is  :ahhh

us Offline arizonaranchman

• the SAK Pioneer rules!
Reply #88 on: October 01, 2014, 06:46:38 PM
I Want my SURGE!!!
Nate

Our first panic-attack? There, there... Breathe deeply... Perhaps keep a brown paper bag handy to breathe into if necessary (we may all need one of these at some point this month!)?

This is going to be a tough month folks... I know I sure do miss my Case large Stockman and old Leatherman classic that's for sure!
EDC: Vic Pioneer

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: October 01, 2014, 06:53:48 PM
Who is up for a Glutton Challenge? Carry as much as possible! :D

or

At least we could celebrate the end (yes, I'm already looking forward to it) with a Glutton Day!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%