Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best SAK with pliers?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Best SAK with pliers?
on: July 04, 2008, 01:58:12 AM
I already asked this ? @ SOSAK forum but I wanted an opinion from you guys as well

:think: Which SAK in your opinion is the best one that includes pliers? Pics would be nice but a list of a few also would be helpful :pok: :D

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Best SAK with pliers?
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:04:42 AM
Are we talking Victorinox and Wenger?

For Victorinox, I would say the SwissTool! :P

For Wenger, it would have to be the Wenger Ranger 75.. Or the Alinghi which I will be getting ASAP! But the SwissGrip is my favorite! That is one tool of mine that I wouldn't part with!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:51:33 AM
Actually I am talking SAK not the mt version sorry I didn't make it clear ;) I am not as well versed on reg SAK as MTs :D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:06:17 AM
I think there was a medium sized SAK called the Mechanic that looked very nice, although I've never held one;

[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 03:11:23 AM
I was actually lookin @ 1 of those on Ebay just a few minutes ago :cheers: :D

They look like a nice smaller tool with a nice tool compliment Thanks :D

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:26:24 AM
I think there was a medium sized SAK called the Mechanic that looked very nice, although I've never held one;

(Image removed from quote.)

To get pliers in a current model SAK, you'll probably have to go to a 3-layer Vic or Wenger SAK.  Tinker and Canyon are 2-layer SAKs and adding pliers adds another layer.

Vic:
Mechanic = Tinker + Pliers
Deluxe Tinker = Tinker + Pliers + Scissors

Wenger: (not completely certain on these model names)
Journeyman = Canyon + Pliers
Taskmate = Canyon + Pliers + Scissors

N

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 04:28:51 AM
If you need pliers on a SAK than I would go for a Wenger.. I find they work better..
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 04:31:33 AM
I need to check into the Wengers more  :think: I usually only think of Vic when I think of SAK :P so I need to check Wengers homepage better thanks :salute: :D

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 04:48:17 AM
If you need pliers on a SAK than I would go for a Wenger.. I find they work better..

Wenger pliers have a slipjoint adjustment which allows them to open up wider than the Vic pliers.  Comes in handy if you're trying to grab onto something a little too big for the Vic pliers.

Both Vic and Wenger pliers are nice to have as EDC in your pocket and are quite handy for many small tasks.

Just don't expect too much - although well-made, they're best limited to lighter duty tasks.  Medium duty tasks could be too much for them - assuming you could get a good enough grip to really torque with them, I fear they'd break.

N

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 05:32:58 AM
I wasn't thinking of putting them to hard use anyway :D  just to carry in the event I might not be able or wanna carry a bulkier MT  ::)

Plus I really just want a new tool with pliers ::) :D

I have also been looking at some Wenger Rangers that have a full size set of fold out pliers :drool:

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 06:08:28 AM
I have two Mechanics, the pliers are ok for small things. One of them I got used from Tim (Felinevet), put new black scales on I got from Tom (Rotokid), new toothpick, touched up the blades and voila! Darn near new Mechanic for half the new price. :)

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 06:32:53 AM
I myself 2 have been purusing about felinevets shop  :drool: @ everything there, I would love to go and buy 2 or 8 of some of the things on there ::) :D

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 07:03:14 AM
I myself 2 have been purusing about felinevets shop  :drool: @ everything there, I would love to go and buy 2 or 8 of some of the things on there ::) :D

Felinevet offers some great deals on used SAKs, which is a very good way to check out various models that might interest you without spending a lot of money.

Be assured that you won't receive some heavily used SAK with lots of battle scars - it's actually hard to tell that some of his used SAKs aren't new.

If you're looking for a user (as opposed to a SAK to be put into a collection) then there's really no reason to buy a new SAK rather than one of Felinevet's used SAKs.

N

Offline FredKJ

Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 08:09:30 AM
I love my Wenger S557.  Not only does it have those nice slip joint pliers it also has a small wrench. 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 08:29:36 AM
The Wenger Evo 585 is a pretty compact model, while still offering a big sellection of tools

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=614&category_id=9683468c9ab1dc0a02f23a83c7df4d4b&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

On the Vic front, I'd get a Swiss Champ, a bit wide, but all the tool's you'd ever need :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 09:37:32 AM
I love my Wenger S557.  Not only does it have those nice slip joint pliers it also has a small wrench. 

The S557 looks to me to be the absolute best of the 'thicker' SAKs.  ('Thicker' SAK is defined as being too thick for me to EDC loose in a pocket - basically any SAK over 2 layers thick.)

S557 high points:
-slipjoint pliers
-universal wrench
-end mounted Phillips
-locking mainblade

I could do without the scissors on the S557 in order to reduce its thickness by one layer.

However, absent a custom model without the scissors, the S557 as it now exists looks nearly ideal for me.

One of these days, I'll probably yield to temptation and get myself an S557.

N

Offline FredKJ

Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 02:51:59 PM
Yes, I would consider the S557 the best SAK with pliers.  I have always been a Vic guy but just love the S557, have it with the rubberized evogrip.  It's like a mini tool kit.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 04:36:58 PM
I was just looking at that on Felinevet's store. I think it might be mine very soon.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 04:55:32 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback guys  :D making a decision is gonna be hard there are so many models to choose from ??? kinda overwhelming  :)

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 05:28:32 PM
Which models are you looking at exactly? Oh, and the Vic Handyman is a nice 6 layer SAK with pliers.
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 05:44:48 PM
Which models are you looking at exactly? Oh, and the Vic Handyman is a nice 6 layer SAK with pliers.

can't decide which models to even begin with ??? thats why I got the post for some feedback on some of the more favored models  :D

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 10:39:57 PM
I second the recommendation on the Wenger 557.  Excellent tool assortment in a reasonably small package.

If you prefer the traditional scales and want a file and a magnifier,  track down a Wenger Motorist.

There are some smaller Wengers with pliers, including the Tradesman and the Buck/Wenger Taskmate.

When something sturdier is called for, the pliers on the Alinghi and the NewRanger 73 and 75 are by far the best you can get on a SAK.
They are much closer to multitool pliers than to what is on other SAKs.  They are more of a needlenose than the multitools, which is usually what I need.

On the Vic side, they all have the same pliers (even the 111's like the Workchamp).   Not quite as versatile as the Wengers, but a bit more precise for really small stuff.
The Mechanic is the smallest, and gets the job done.  My Mechanic is a beater, and it got that way from me using it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:42:22 PM by AndyTiedye »
R

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 12:46:52 AM
The Mechanic was my first SAK and I rate it pretty highly.  :)  Great tool selection for a small (layers) SAK.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 03:26:44 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

To get pliers in a current model SAK, you'll probably have to go to a 3-layer Vic or Wenger SAK.  Tinker and Canyon are 2-layer SAKs and adding pliers adds another layer.

Vic:
Mechanic = Tinker + Pliers
Deluxe Tinker = Tinker + Pliers + Scissors

Wenger: (not completely certain on these model names)
Journeyman = Canyon + Pliers
Taskmate = Canyon + Pliers + Scissors

I think it must be a 'Deluxe Tinker' I'm about to butcher for my KSSAK project then :D

It looks like the picture, but has scissors (although they are broken on this donor knife), the hook thingummy on the back and a rounded phillips driver - also on the back.

If anyone could confirm that's what it is that'd be great. I'd like to know its name before I kill it :D

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 03:31:29 AM by DaveK »
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 04:15:30 AM
Yeah, it sounds like you have a Deluxe Tinker!  :)
B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 04:19:16 AM
Yes, that sounds right. This is the Deluxe Tinker (courtesy of the SAKWiki).

[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 08:42:41 AM
Hey DaveK let know how the mod turns out :climber: :D I'm interested to see what your gonna do :pok: :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 01:45:51 PM
Yes, that sounds right. This is the Deluxe Tinker (courtesy of the SAKWiki).

Yes- that's the one! Thanks.

Poncho - I'm awaiting a bunch of stuff to arrive from Rotokid (the first package appears to have been lost in the post :( ), I've managed to find a load of old, beat-up SAKs from a variety of places (including our very own NKB), and then I'm going to see what I can come up with.

As to what it'll have on it - I don't know yet, but with the tools I've accumulated so far, it's probably going to end up resembling the Swisschamp. Maybe!

:sak:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 03:37:49 PM
Sounds interesting  ;) Keep us posted  ::) :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:59:50 PM by Poncho65 »

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 08:41:01 PM

Assuming you mean something that won't tear a hole in your pocket, Atlas hands down. It's got everything I've ever needed in a SAK. Plus, it's very nearly as comfortable as a regular knife.

P.S. I'd swap the pliers for scissors, though.  :D
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24