Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Welcome aboard to our New Administrator- Megan!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Re: Welcome aboard to our New Administrator- Megan!
Reply #60 on: October 13, 2014, 10:57:16 PM
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #61 on: October 14, 2014, 01:10:23 AM
And MTO now has it's very own oaf squad.....  :facepalm:
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 14, 2014, 01:11:51 AM
I've always thought the main site is slow on new content. Perhaps it would be nice to integrate the forum and main site more closely. Picking good posts here and post to main site as editorials, then link back to the said thread for comment/discussion might be a nice way to do it.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #63 on: October 14, 2014, 01:25:33 AM
Thanks. I've been thinking about that for the main site for a while now. That's a great comment.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #64 on: October 14, 2014, 01:36:44 AM
I honestly keep forgetting this place even has a main page. :facepalm:  Reading the reviews on it was one of the things that brought me in too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #65 on: October 14, 2014, 01:40:39 AM
I don't know, the way our threads go, might not want to that. It will scare them away.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #66 on: October 14, 2014, 01:41:25 AM
There is a main page?  :think:

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #67 on: October 14, 2014, 01:43:50 AM
There is a main page?  :think:

and an oaf squad as well...

Who knew...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #68 on: October 14, 2014, 01:44:32 AM
Yeah, there was a thread about it sometime ago. That a something about a life or something or another.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #69 on: October 14, 2014, 01:45:54 AM
I keep forgetting about this life thing too! :facepalm:  Meh, I guess it's over rated.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #70 on: October 14, 2014, 04:18:41 AM
I honestly keep forgetting this place even has a main page. :facepalm:  Reading the reviews on it was one of the things that brought me in too.

Same here as well :whistle:
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
Reply #71 on: October 14, 2014, 02:00:34 PM
I've laid off the "NICE MELONS!" joke for 3 days now! I'm not sure how much longer I can hold it in. Boss?... :ahhh

Much longer.
 :facepalm:
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: October 14, 2014, 11:38:16 PM
it would be nice if there was a brief "So what's a multitool then?" page that we could link people to.

I've just been talking to someone who hasn't come across them before, and it would be handy to just go "look here, that's what I'm on about".

The MTO Encyclopaedia has a nice little spiel on the main page that an intro could be based on, but I'd like a brief intro starting with Leatherman and the PST, then working up to the present range of manufacturers. Doesn't have to include everything and it would probably be best if it didn't.

I'm far from a fount of all knowledge but I'd happily start something off if people were interested? Or does this already exist?

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: October 15, 2014, 12:12:33 AM
Does my tablet suck or maybe I'm just a bit slow, but is there a way to select only a portion of a 'quote' instead of mass deleting by holding down the back button for 10 min???  :facepalm: techkucle difalcultees

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #74 on: October 15, 2014, 11:29:47 AM
When you respond, press and hold a word and you should get two little book end type markers.  Move one to the beginning of the text you want deleted and the other to the end. Then hit the backspace and everything you just selected should disappear.

This is how to do it on Android tablets. I don't know how to do it on others.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #75 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:53 AM
it would be nice if there was a brief "So what's a multitool then?" page that we could link people to.

I've just been talking to someone who hasn't come across them before, and it would be handy to just go "look here, that's what I'm on about".

The MTO Encyclopaedia has a nice little spiel on the main page that an intro could be based on, but I'd like a brief intro starting with Leatherman and the PST, then working up to the present range of manufacturers. Doesn't have to include everything and it would probably be best if it didn't.

I'm far from a fount of all knowledge but I'd happily start something off if people were interested? Or does this already exist?
I think that is a great idea.  I'm not sure how much success we've had defining "multitool" over the years but I'll be happy to work with you (and anyone else who wants to play!) to get something put together.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #76 on: October 15, 2014, 12:13:58 PM
It is complicated.. some people will not consider a SAK as a multitool

Some speak of pliers based (e.g. PST) and knife based (e.g. Victorinox camper) multitools.. and scissor based ones too (LM Micra).. how about bottle openner base ones then? (small card tools)

Some may want the tool to have two totally different tools, at the least, where some will be happy with a multitool just having two different sized blades or two different flat screwdrivers. (is a reversible flat and Philips screwdriver a multitool?)

Also there is the persons imagination.. if I use my pliers to hammer a nail, does it make them a multitool.. I think that the use must be the official one..

Or a claw hammer.. it puts nails in and takes them out by design, so it is a multitool.. maybe.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: October 15, 2014, 01:39:01 PM

Some speak of pliers based (e.g. PST) and knife based (e.g. Victorinox camper) multitools.. and scissor based ones too (LM Micra).. how about bottle openner base ones then? (small card tools)

Some may want the tool to have two totally different tools, at the least, where some will be happy with a multitool just having two different sized blades or two different flat screwdrivers. (is a reversible flat and Philips screwdriver a multitool?)

Also there is the persons imagination.. if I use my pliers to hammer a nail, does it make them a multitool.. I think that the use must be the official one..

Or a claw hammer.. it puts nails in and takes them out by design, so it is a multitool.. maybe.
[/color]

Ahhhh sorcery I tell you. This tablet is a dell, so it was a little weird. You have to select all, then move the cursers to un highlight what you don't want.... strange. Thanks Grant

Your right dos, I guess a hammer is a kind of multi tool haha

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: October 15, 2014, 04:45:43 PM
Reminds me of the proverb:

When your only tool is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #79 on: October 16, 2014, 01:13:22 AM
So perhaps it is the intentional ability to fill several, unrelated roles that make a multitool a mulitool.

Case in point, a claw hammer can drive and pull nails- nails going in and out, mono tool. Multibit screwdriver, makes screws go round and round- in or out, mono tool.

Swiss Army Knife has a blade (or more), an opener, drivers, probably an awl and scissors, maybe a saw or a file- cuts, open cans and bottles, makes screws go round and round, makes neat holes, makes precision/safe cuts, makes wood and/or metal smaller in a way that the blade can not, multitool. Leatherman, has pliers, blade, drivers, usually a saw or file, maybe scissors- like the SAK, plus has a grabby-pinchy bit that probably cuts wire to, it is a multitool.

Of course, we can cheat with bit drivers- I've got sockets, drill bits/gimlets, precision knives, and all kinds of other widgets for mine, but they are add ons that were not part of the origional intent. Still designed as a monotool, but functions as a multi.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: October 16, 2014, 02:24:02 AM
 :tu: thanks for that, I was looking at my butter knives as pry bars and flat head screwdriver, and still butter my toast......

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: October 16, 2014, 08:06:35 AM

That is total SAKrilegious!  But good point about whether MT should be definted merely if a tool has pliers, otherwise, we will be ruling out LM Micra or S4 or the likes.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: October 16, 2014, 01:09:53 PM
I've always thought the main site is slow on new content. Perhaps it would be nice to integrate the forum and main site more closely. Picking good posts here and post to main site as editorials, then link back to the said thread for comment/discussion might be a nice way to do it.

Building on top of that, I don't know how much 'news' we could get from different manufacturers.  But that'd be the perfect place to break or share news from different manufacturer.  Or the latest display from blade or shot show, regarding anything that may interest people on this forum.

It would probably make the main site more interesting and lively, if we could expand the content of 'editorial' to include topics/stickies from different subforum.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: October 16, 2014, 01:29:12 PM

Building on top of that, I don't know how much 'news' we could get from different manufacturers.  But that'd be the perfect place to break or share news from different manufacturer.  Or the latest display from blade or shot show, regarding anything that may interest people on this forum.

It would probably make the main site more interesting and lively, if we could expand the content of 'editorial' to include topics/stickies from different subforum.

BREAKING NEWS thread..... I like That  :tu:
As long as the companies that give permission to show off their new ideas don't mind constructive criticism ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:33:09 PM by JBW1 »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #84 on: October 16, 2014, 01:36:51 PM
Why don't we create a MTo seal of approval? We could allow some tools/brands that could display it. It would bring more attention to the site.

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
Reply #85 on: October 16, 2014, 02:08:23 PM

This is definitely part of our plan! And if anyone has any interest in writing something please PM me.

Why don't we create a MTo seal of approval? We could allow some tools/brands that could display it. It would bring more attention to the site.

:think: :think:

Certainly interesting.
MTO has never been in the pocket of any manufacturers and will certainly stay that way.
As long as we continue to stay independent something like that could be kind of neat.
We'll certainly chat about it.

BREAKING NEWS thread..... I like That  :tu:
As long as the companies that give permission to show off their new ideas don't mind constructive criticism ;)

We need to continue to give constructive criticism. And if a tool is crap- we need to be able to say it is.
It's why keeping MTO independent is so important. Many review sites and forums are taking money from manufacturers and losing the ability to give honest reviews.

And product donations are great. As long the manufacturers know that we will continue to give honest reviews and can't promise we'll like what we've been given!
-Megan
Send me a message.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: October 16, 2014, 06:42:00 PM

We need to continue to give constructive criticism. And if a tool is crap- we need to be able to say it is.
It's why keeping MTO independent is so important. Many review sites and forums are taking money from manufacturers and losing the ability to give honest reviews.

And product donations are great. As long the manufacturers know that we will continue to give honest reviews and can't promise we'll like what we've been given!

I think in terms of new product development or news breaking(on MT, knife, edged tool, axe or anything that may interest our own member), it may be beneficial to keep that as an independent section, while we could have another section entirely for tool/gadget reviewing.  Surely it will be super nice to get prototype for demo, but I think it would be courteous to keep the discussion in the forum part.

My humble wish for the main site is to contain more pictures from different threads/discussion/mods/news, for example, format like following sites:

http://gearhungry.com/category/gear

http://www.pinterest.com/explore/gadgets/?p=1

I think those format are a great way to link words with pictures, and to maximize our presence on search engine.  And those are great to browse and very likely for people to bookmark for later browsing.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
Reply #87 on: October 16, 2014, 09:50:10 PM

My humble wish for the main site is to contain more pictures from different threads/discussion/mods/news, for example, format like following sites:

http://gearhungry.com/category/gear

http://www.pinterest.com/explore/gadgets/?p=1

I think those format are a great way to link words with pictures, and to maximize our presence on search engine.  And those are great to browse and very likely for people to bookmark for later browsing.

Me too. I agree with you.
-Megan
Send me a message.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #88 on: October 16, 2014, 10:11:40 PM
This is definitely part of our plan! And if anyone has any interest in writing something please PM me.

There are quite a few threads in the recent past you can draw on. Something like this. (as an example, it's just some of my random babbling :D )

I'm also thinking not having a comment section on the front page, only link back to the forum/thread so if anyone is inclined to read more/discuss the traffic is sent here.

Maybe add in youtube in some way, but god knows there are enough people doing reviews there already.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:15:09 PM by jzmtl »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: October 16, 2014, 10:21:02 PM
Oh wait, you have already changed your avatar... :ahhh why? :ahhh this is too fast paced for me :ahhh
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%