Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bummed out...

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Bummed out...
on: September 15, 2016, 08:17:00 PM
Just got this the other day and its allready doing this after moving the clip once.. Have new screws/clip on the way but wont be here till monday :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Bummed out...
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 12:04:40 AM
That's awfully disappointing and not what I would expect from Spyderco.

Have you contacted them about it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 02:37:54 AM
Sorry to say this, but it is most likely not Spyderco's fault, but your own. Many people over tighten or strip these tiny little screws easily. If it came like this then I would say its on Spyderco, but you said you moved the clip then it started doing this.

I could very well be wrong though. We need more detail to the story.  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:41:46 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 04:21:40 AM
I moved the clip to tip up carry, then decided that i liked tip down better. Before I moved it back i did notice a little bit of play in the clip. When I moved the clip back i attached the clip fairly snug but not too tight. I couldnt get the play in the clip to go away so i kept tightening and loosening trying to make sure all of the screws were the same tightness. After this i did overtighten the screws in an effort to keep the clip still and stripped them as well. I have removed them now and ordered new screws. The stripping and overtightening is my fault as you said capn but before anything was overtightened it still would not sit correctly. I should have been more patient, but I am pretty surprised at how easy they were to screw up (no pun intended). Hopefully the new screws work out well

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 04:40:45 AM
Is that the real para2 or a ganzo?
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 04:54:45 AM
The real para2

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 04:55:40 AM
The real para2

Bought it from knifecenter

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 05:11:48 AM
I moved the clip to tip up carry, then decided that i liked tip down better. Before I moved it back i did notice a little bit of play in the clip. When I moved the clip back i attached the clip fairly snug but not too tight. I couldnt get the play in the clip to go away so i kept tightening and loosening trying to make sure all of the screws were the same tightness. After this i did overtighten the screws in an effort to keep the clip still and stripped them as well. I have removed them now and ordered new screws. The stripping and overtightening is my fault as you said capn but before anything was overtightened it still would not sit correctly. I should have been more patient, but I am pretty surprised at how easy they were to screw up (no pun intended). Hopefully the new screws work out well

That is a bummer. I would highly suggest getting a new clip to go with the new scales. It could have possibly been the clip causing the issue. If the portion of the clip with the screw holes drilled in it is not perfectly flat it can cause the tightening of one screw to lift the others slightly. When dealing with such delicate threads this can be a major issue and strip out the thread in the holes.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 05:17:58 AM

That is a bummer. I would highly suggest getting a new clip to go with the new scales. It could have possibly been the clip causing the issue. If the portion of the clip with the screw holes drilled in it is not perfectly flat it can cause the tightening of one screw to lift the others slightly. When dealing with such delicate threads this can be a major issue and strip out the thread in the holes.

On the bright side i think my threads in the knife itself are still ok. I did order a short low ride clip to try out as well.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 05:38:41 AM
I much prefer the look of that clip. That'll be very nice, hope works out just fine  :salute:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 06:17:36 AM
Sorry GD - Gotta ask this - In the video - Are you fiddling with you knife, making a quick video - At the same time as driving  ???
........... If so :twak:

If not please accept my apologies

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 06:26:20 AM
Sorry GD - Gotta ask this - In the video - Are you fiddling with you knife, making a quick video - At the same time as driving  ???
........... If so :twak:

If not please accept my apologies
If memory serves me well I was stopped waiting on traffic. I may have started moving at the end of the video.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 04:09:09 AM
I use the Leatherman flat bit with just my fingers to work on those tiny screws, so no way I could overtighten and strip them.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 01:03:19 AM
New screws and clip came in today! Glad to have it fixed

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 06:22:26 AM
Looks great!

Tip up for life. Lol.  :dwts:
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41