Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Exotic SAK: Are they users or collectibles

Poll

Do you have or had an exotic SAK in your EDC rotation.

Yes, they are also users
No, they are to precious and belong on a shelf to be admired

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Exotic SAK: Are they users or collectibles
on: October 14, 2014, 04:44:52 PM
Between Wenger and Victorinox, several rather exotic SAK have been produced. I'm curious if anyone ever carries one of those regularly or at least used to do so. As I'm more curious about the tool selection and form factor, I wouldn't consider a rare SAK (gold plated, limited edition, antique, with Damascus blade etc.) exotic.

If you carry an exotic SAK, please specify.

List of what I would consider Exotic SAKs (Probably not complete).
WENGER:
- Bernina (both Mini Spot Light & 504)
- Business Tool
- Laser
- Minathor
- Pointer
- SGT Shortix
- SGT Fix-It
- Spot Light
- SwissGrip / PocketGrip
- Titanium Line

Victorinox
- AutoTool
- Cheese Knife
- Laser
- Sport Ratchet
- Swiss Beat
- Swiss Card
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:03:30 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Exotic SAK: Are they users or collectibles
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 04:46:15 PM
I have several exotic Wenger (BusinessTool, Minathor...). Their fiddly factor appeals to me, but I can't see myself carrying any of those, ever.
I have a SwissCard, this is the only one I can see myself carry, but so far I have never done that.

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 04:54:57 PM
Does my infamous gold-plated SAK count? I've started using it :D I think that since they're supposed to be quality tools and you've paid for them, you should have fun and experience all the good stuff such a tool can provide.. I've never ever had anything only for collecting purposes. I might have pampered something at the beginning and been "afraid" to use it, but it's always gotten used sooner or later.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 04:59:27 PM
Does my infamous gold-plated SAK count? I've started using it :D I think that since they're supposed to be quality tools and you've paid for them, you should have fun and experience all the good stuff such a tool can provide.. I've never ever had anything only for collecting purposes. I might have pampered something at the beginning and been "afraid" to use it, but it's always gotten used sooner or later.
I would say no, as I'm more curious about the tool selection than the value. I think several people on this forum EDC a limited edition SAK (e.g. with a Damascus blade).

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 05:00:34 PM
I use a Grey WBT every day at work.  :)

Also, I use a Wenger Minathor to change watch batteries.

I daily carry a Cybertool 41 with Timekeeper scales AND

I beat up on my Blue Alox Farmer.

For dress up, I carry a 1960's Swiss Champion with long nail file and bail.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:04:58 PM
Wenger:

Business Tool - User
Pocketgrip - User
Irongrip - not used yet
Horn scaled Commander - not used yet
Deluxe Cigar Cutter (leather scales) - User
Swissgrip - User
Various wood/stanless scaled Travellers - Users

Victorinox:

Various discoed sought after models bought in mint condition - Used
(1970's Outdoorsman, original Yeoman, 84mm Golfer, ribbed alox Cadet, Salesman, Climber Small .... :think:)
Coach Climber (leather scales) Not used yet
Horn scaled Huntsman - not used yet

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 05:08:14 PM
Nice, already two BusinessTool users!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:10:14 PM
I have a bubinga Cheese Knife that sees some use :) Quite the ideal picnic knife, really.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 05:25:07 PM
It's only the SwissCard that I have,which rides in my card carrier everyday.

BUT,I refer to the wise words of the High a priest of Flickdom,' there's no to pretty to carry,only too pretty NOT TO carry'
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 05:34:13 PM

From the list, this is the only one I have, too. Mine is actually a SwissCard Lite.

Kirkie, your sig is wrong. It should read:
I'm doomed! The Doctor told me I'm suffering enjoying every second of pfrsantos Syndrome!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:08:15 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 05:36:27 PM

BUT,I refer to the wise words of the High a priest of Flickdom,' there's no to pretty to carry,only too pretty NOT TO carry'
No truer words have ever been spoken.

Question is also not necessarily about beauty (all of those have that). But I don't carry a BT because I rarely use a puncher or stapler and for the scissors and the blade alone, its too bulky. I don't carry the Minathor because I don't need those tiny tools and worst case, might loose them. So, the tool load does not appeal to me as a EDC (I have simple needs PH1 and blade and I'm mostly good to go).

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 05:54:21 PM
Damn... voted wrong... didn't realise limited are not included.

Wenger Mel Ramos Traveller - User
Wenger EvoS16 GWK - User
Mini Climber - User
Modeler - Will be user

Wenger Soldier 49 - Shelfqueen
Red Alox Duo - Shelfqueen
Gold Alox Pruner - Shelfqueen
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 06:05:38 PM
I think you all can guess how I voted.....  ::)  I personally don't own any of the models listed (yet  ;) ), but I would have no problems giving them some pocket time.  Not every single day use perhaps, but they'd see use for sure.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline mikeells

Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:47:10 PM
I have an Autotool which I have carried in my glove compartment for years.I never used it much, as the light is dim and the pressure gauge unreliable.  Last winter, I lost my window scraper and had to use the scraper on the Autotool. Of course, I promptly broke it scraping the windows. It did serve a function to help me in an emergency, but lost any collector value it may have had. Parts no longer available from Victorinox, so If anyone has a spare Autotool ice scraper blade drop me a line.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 10:16:48 PM
SwissCard user here.  :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 11:47:55 PM
I'm primarily a collector, and my valuable knives stay in the collection. Why risk chipping a pearl handle or breaking the spring on an older model when plain current models will work just as well, and at a fraction of the price. If someone wants to carry a rare piece, fine. And if they break it or lose it that's also fine; it increases the value of mine. I'll stick with my standard Traveler, Huntsman, Pocket Tool Chest, etc for every day use.

With regard to your list, a lot of them are rather specialized tools that most people would never have a call for. If someone was working with lab equipment, watches, etc then there are specialized tools that would probably do a better job.

Users versus Lookers.

IMG_4914.JPG
* IMG_4914.JPG (Filesize: 116.54 KB)
IMG_2803.JPG
* IMG_2803.JPG (Filesize: 70.36 KB)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:03:12 AM by ColoSwiss »

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 06:28:25 AM
I don't know about "exotic" but definitely pricey. The Traveller and Traveller Lite. Even modded them both.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 09:41:38 AM
[...]With regard to your list, a lot of them are rather specialized tools that most people would never have a call for. If someone was working with lab equipment, watches, etc then there are specialized tools that would probably do a better job.[...]
This is partly what I'm interested in. Do those specialized tools find use outside of their, relatively small, target audience.
Also, do they reach their target audience.
I worked in research for a while. Not one person doing gas-chromatography carried a Wenger SGT and outside of the lab there is no use for it (or is there?).
None of my friends, acquaintances in the watch industry carry a Minathor. At work they have dedicated tools and if you fix a watch any place else you risk loosing a part.

BusinessTool: I have seen students use one, actually I think naming it StudentTool would have been better because its mainly students that carry their office around :D

On the other hand a SwissCard has a regular tool selection in a different shape. The Titanium Line has very common tools but do you trust the package?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 10:43:49 AM
I saw a firefighter with a Victorinox Rescue tool once, so maybe some speSmurfpillsed tools do get used.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 11:02:47 AM
I saw a firefighter with a Victorinox Rescue tool once, so maybe some speSmurfpillsed tools do get used.
True, but rescue knifes have a rather large target group. My dad carries his Rescue Tool for mountaineering. He mostly uses the main blade. But if you are mountaineering, having a rescue blade is like having a first aid kit. You hope you never use it, but it's still a good idea to bring one. That is why I did not put it in my list of exotic SAKs, purely a judgmental call on my part.

We could also call the CyberTool exotic, but it has such broad application there will be many users (me for example). The SwissCard on the other hand is not that exotic, however it consists of many parts, so unlike with a Rambler, you can use the blade of your SwissCard.

So, what constitutes to an exotic SAK is not a hard rule but more a gut decision :P

What I'm trying to figure out is, if people carry specialized tools with narrow application (Minathor) or tools that come in different packages (Titanium Line Wrench).

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 11:11:27 AM
I never saw the firefighter using it and he had it on with his "nice" uniform, so maybe it was just for show too..   :D

Most of the speSmurfpillsed tools can be seen as unecessary bulk for people who do not need them and not good/hygienic/strong enough for those that actually would need them.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 11:38:46 AM
I never saw the firefighter using it and he had it on with his "nice" uniform, so maybe it was just for show too..   :D

Most of the speSmurfpillsed tools can be seen as unecessary bulk for people who do not need them and not good/hygienic/strong enough for those that actually would need them.
I think thats what makes them "exotic" :D

Although its not entirely true. The hunter in my office either uses either the Hunter or the newer Hunter XT-CS. Maybe we should ask Stew to test-drive the Rescue Tool...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 12:36:49 PM
I am also a collector and don't use any of those. With that said, I don't even use a SAK as an EDC...go figure. I am still firmly planted on the plier multi-tool side of things for that. This does not mean I don't have used SAKs in my collection. I still like to keep them as pristine as possible. Thus, all my SAKs are shelf queens...and I am ok with that.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 01:11:21 PM
Need to read this all more carefully
Not quite sure why the Swiss Card is exotic

Anyway I always have one in my car - Mainly so I always have a pen available.
My gf's Mum also always carried one in her handbag

I also use the Wenger Business Tool - It's at home in my desk drawer.
I love it - What a brilliant design, useful tools and so practical- I have the one with the scissors .
Such a shame it did not hit the mass market price point!!
I thought the button press you had to do each time you staple was going to be a real pain - But it's no problem at all - your thumb or finger is naturally just in the right place to do this - So you don't notice a problem.

PS. I though the Vic rescue tool was developed in conjunction with the Swiss Fire service and all Swiss firemen carried them!!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:25:43 PM by Huntsman »

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 01:29:59 PM
My Exotica:
Victorinox Cheese Knife (Switzerland Cheese Marketing Version)
Victorinox Cheese Knife (Regular Version)
Victorinox Hardwood Cheese Knife [My beauty, imported from the U.S.]
Wenger PocketGrip

They are all users. Maybe except the PocketGrip, because I have no use for it.
On the other hand I do not collect it. Therefore, it is something in between.  :think:
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 02:04:39 PM

Although its not entirely true. The hunter in my office either uses either the Hunter or the newer Hunter XT-CS. Maybe we should ask Stew to test-drive the Rescue Tool...

The Hunter may be specialized, but I don't think it can be considered exotic. Its tools are those of the traditional European folding hunting knife. Since its also substantially cheaper than the traditional stag-handled versions I suspect it sees a good deal of use in its intended role.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 02:26:59 PM

The Hunter may be specialized, but I don't think it can be considered exotic. Its tools are those of the traditional European folding hunting knife. Since its also substantially cheaper than the traditional stag-handled versions I suspect it sees a good deal of use in its intended role.
Agreed, thats why I neither put the rescue nor the hunter in my list of exotics. Hunters in general are knife users, so the step is also not that big. Watchmakers on the other hand don't use knifes in general. I also used the hunter in example above as I think it relates to the Rescue Tool.

I choose specialized tools with a very narrow field of application (Minathor), tools with different designs (Titanium Line) or tools with weird form factor (SwissCard, this is also a tool kit and therefore quite different from other SAKs.)

If I would have to summarize, what has been said so far, I would say this:
Many of this exotic SAKs are user, some even find their way in a car. But apart from the SwissCard they are not carried on the belt / in pockets. And while the sampling amount is still very limited, BusinessTool and SwissCard seem to be the most popular.

Offline marduk

Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 05:30:14 PM
I'm basically a collector & would never, ever think of using my SAKs--- except to look at, especially the exotics like those already mentioned. The only knife that comes close to an EDC is the Vic Pioneer. It has the exact same tools as my old Boy Scout knife of the 1940's: blade, can opener, cap lifter/screw driver, & reamer/awl. I used this knife from childhood to adulthood. I still use it today. I used the blade for cutting my school lunch sandwiches, the awl for punching holes in my belt as my waistline increased, the can opener for opening cans of food (in fact, I use it regularly as my dedicated can opener), & the caplifter cum screwdriver for jobs too numerous to mention.

I still use the knife. It has grown old like me & like me it is showing its age but still useful and functioning altho the point of the awl is not as pointy as it used to be & the blade is starting to rust. Yes, I might need a pair of pliers or a stapler or a rear gun sight adjuster when away from home, but I can count on 2 fingers how often that has happened. Yes, that Boy Scout knife. like me, is still working. Who needs an exotic, except to look at and admire, like an Old Master in a museum?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 08:07:24 PM
I need to qualify my above statement. I do have a Dual Pro for emergencies in the Jeep. I haven't had to use it yet.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 10:22:24 AM
PS.

I consider collectibles exotic and carry them from time to time.

I have a few old Soldiers (per 1961/alox) that I carry occasionally - I really like them and they feel exotic/special/classy to me.

I also have a lovely Wenger Evowood 14 - That I carry from time to time - This feels pretty exotic too.

Maybe not strictly exotic as per Etherealicer's definition - But exotic/special to me!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%