Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Scissor Spring Size

ca Offline angusW

Swisstool Scissor Spring Size
on: October 13, 2014, 04:55:57 AM
I finally got my hands on a Swisstool and really love the quality of it. I'll be using it for work but I have to mod my work Skinth a bit to use it.

The one problem, and it is minor, but the spring on the scissors needs to be replaced. The tool is used and in very good shape but it bothers me a bit that the scissors don't open fully unless I push them open wider with my thumb. I don't feel any burs on the edge of them and I've lubed them up. I was wondering what size is the spring? I'm assuming it's the large spring but not 100% positive.

On a side note, I've been sporting a couple of Spirits for a few years and was wondering if anyone knows the post to whoever did the mod to make the scissors open wider. I found one post but the pics are gone. I have an idea on what area to grind off but I want to see what others have done just to make sure I'm hitting the right area.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Re: Swisstool Scissor Spring Size
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:12:39 PM
The SwissTool X (mine is labeled just SwissTool) has the same scissors spring as the 91 mm Officers. That is, Large.
But if the spring is not broken that is probably not the reason for the scissors' stiffness against opening all the way.  There may be some grit inside the joint that could be removed with very hot water or dental floss.
The SwissTool Spirit uses a completely different spring, sort of a side-bar.
I wouldn't do any grinding on the scissor edges.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:39:27 PM
There is a way to make Spirit scissors open wider. If you look at the side where spring bar is, you notice notch where spring sits. You can see how spring lies on that notch, that it cannot open wider. Now you pry the spring carefully, so that scissors open over. Now you can file that notch wider. But file only on the side that spring lies (right). Not handle side (left).

Maybe someone can take picture for you of Spirits scissors on the spring side...

ca Offline angusW

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 01:54:17 AM
I was thinking of giving the Swisstool a spa treatment to just generally clean it up. Maybe like you said that will get rid any grit in the scissors. I'll try that first before buying a new spring and thanks for the size info.

Ya, I know the spring is different on the Spirit. I've owned a couple for a few years  :multi: but what I was curious on exactly is what part did people grind away. I'm thinking of grinding just the top part of the blade at the back, where it rests on the spring. Doesn't look like I'll need to take out too much but a picture of what other people have done would be great.

Am I on the right track. Anyone got a link for the post.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 06:04:52 AM
You are right. That is exactly the part you need to grind. I could not find that post, but remember it. They did not take much off.

Swisstool scissors, they tend to curve a bit to the top, have you checked that it does not curve too much?

ca Offline angusW

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 04:48:36 AM
Ok. I think I'll give it a shot this weekend with the Spirit.

I haven't checked to see if there's a curve in the Swisstool scissors. I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Crow.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD