Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scales and Liners: DXF or other accurate drawings?

Jake · 5 · 2494

Offline Jake

Are there any publicly-available DXFs of the 84mm knife (scales, liners)?  I did some searches here and other places but didn't find anything.  A few folks mentioned DXFs for various things here or there, but nothing specific.

Before I re-invent the wheel, I wanted to see if anyone had any accurate drawings.  I wanted to 3D print a few spacers/rests to see if my planned assembly will work as I expect, before I start trying to grind/fabricate things in metal.

Of particular interest are the hole locations for the pins and the curve/shape of the knife's perimeter.  I took some scans but reverse engineering from scans isn't always super accurate.

Thanks for any info.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Scales and Liners: DXF or other accurate drawings?
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:58:47 PM
Scanning and then image tracing is what ended up doing to get most of the files I needed for parts.  I never did any for 84mm size though so I cant help you on that.

Cheers
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Jake

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 06:12:26 PM
Posted these models on another thread, but I've made some new models since then, so this thread is a good place to share some new work.

The original models were part of the Bantam + Wenger Scissors mod

Since then, I finally found an 84mm Golfer that was worth breaking down (I will probably reassemble it with some new parts, rather than use the parts in a mod).  This gave me the opportunity to scan a few parts that I didn't have previously.  The golfer had a OEM version of the part I have been calling a "No Keyring Rest" (a blade rest/spacer used with an opener or nail file on the same layer as the long blade).  I added a STL of this part "v2" based on the OEM version, which was a little different than the custom version I used in the Wenger Scissors mod.

Also, I was able to scan the 84mm scissor backspring, and I've uploaded the STL for it as well.  While I'd love to make one of these backsprings myself for use in a Vic-91mm-scissors project, I do not have the capability to cut, surface grind, and harden a backspring. Hence, I can't really test this model to determine correctness.  I did 3D print the spring in plastic and it lines up nicely with the real spring, so its probably a good start for someone making their own backsprings.

All this stuff is in GITHUB: https://github.com/jake-b/84mm-Victorinox

Offline Jake

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 01:11:07 AM
Didn't really have a better place to post this, so I figured here with the rest of these 84mm models would be best.

I 3D printed some vice jaws to hold a cadet knife securely (and without damage to the scales) while drilling out the rivets.  It works very well.  After drilling out with a center drill, the pins popped out with out much difficulty on a small arbor press.

It is designed for the thickness of the cadet.  I'm guessing that anyone doing 84mm mods is probably starting with a cadet.

If anyone is interested in printing your own:  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:525547
cadet_jaws.jpg
* cadet_jaws.jpg (Filesize: 164.82 KB)

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 01:53:27 AM
Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like bowls, they contain chaos.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74