Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK in the city.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
SAK in the city.
on: October 26, 2014, 03:50:03 PM
I'm a city boy, born and bred. But I like the country, and I loved backpacking in my younger days, as well as canoeing. I still love to get out on the lake in my canoe, but my backpacking days are over. But…

I still find much use for knife in the city. I grew up in Washington D.C., and still live in the suburbs. But there's packages to open, especially those unbreakable, unbearable plastic blister packs things come in nowadays. I notice people still use a knife in the city, but mostly it's small Swiss Army knives or the smaller Leatherman multitools like the juice and squirt. Evenhere in Washington D.C. with all the federal buildings and super strict security, a Victorinox classic or rambler, or Leatherman squirt will still be passed through the museums security.

Not too long ago, the better half and I were downtown at the National Gallery Of Art, and they have an eatery/cafeteria on the lower level. After checking out the old Dutch Masters for a while, we want to grab some lunch. Going though the line I got a burger and some fries, and the better half got a salad. Once back at out table, I tried to open the little plastic mustard packs to no avail. Old age and arthritis made it tricky, so I took out my little Vic SAK and neatly snipped open the packs with the scissors on my classic and fixed up my burger. Same with the little plastic ketchup packages for the fries.

Meanwhile, the better half was having a hard time with the plastic envelope of French dressing for her salad. I handed her the SAK, and she then opened the salad dressing with no problem. The middle age couple at the next table had been watching, and the woman remarked that maybe she should get one of those little Swiss Army knives for her husband.

Sometimes a sharp edge is needed, no matter where you are.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline arizonaranchman

• the SAK Pioneer rules!
Re: SAK in the city.
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 04:12:07 PM
Excellent testimonial and I agree, even in urban environments I find it hard to believe how many people leave the house without some type of pocket knife. How do they get by?? I find myself using my pocket knife at least a couple times a day even if sitting at home doing virtually nothing, let alone an active day out doing chores. These folks bumble thru life somehow I suppose.

The lil Vic Classic is truly a gem :tu:
EDC: Vic Pioneer

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:57:42 PM
I also find it interesting that people leave home without some sort of blade or tool set. Even the smallest knife/tool can be very useful. I have a story very similar to yours cbl51.

I was flying across country and wanted to at least bring something with me while travelling. Options are very limited since TSA restrictions are........ what they are. Anyways, I decided to bring a Leatherman Style PS since it is TSA compliant. On the flight they passed out peanuts and I look over to my right and a elderly lady was struggling to open her snack. I leaned over and asked her if she would like a pair of scissors. She said she would very much like that and wish she had a pair. Well, Style PS to the rescue. I handed her the Style PS and she easily and quickly opened up her snack.
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:41:53 PM
Knifes make up for humans' lack of talons, claws and teeth. SAKs and MTs add what defines humans, tools to be used. In the city or the outdoors, it makes no difference we love tools because they give us abilities and options.

Offline collim1

SAK in the city.
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:51:28 PM
I have a knife of some kind on me no matter where I am or what I am doing. For me it comes in handy in the city as well as in the woods.

Tinker or Alox Bantam in the city, Farmer in the woods. Can usually get what I need done with that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:55:36 PM by collim1 »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 02:51:00 AM
How do they get by??

I've observed that the the more cunning ones have learned that if a guy has facial hair but doesn't look like a hipster, if the come over and make the sad kitten eyes, they sometimes find someone with a blade who will help them. :D

And sometimes it even works.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%