Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

People Friendly OHO Folder?

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Re: People Friendly OHO Folder?
Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 08:31:15 AM
I whole heartedly agree on the vic sentinel being people friendly. I edc one and no one ever is shocked at that odd blunt nose blade, unlike the old black bladed tacticool "rescue" folder it replaced which freeked everyone when I'd snap it open. Ironically the Vic is bigger too.

For traditional Svord Peasants are nice old school knives and though the plastic handles have a cheaper feel/look than the wood they do come in a ton of bright colors. Down side the monkey tang is a bit long in the pocket.

Miricle-grow have several garden knives with quality Clauss blades in bright green handles made of the same plastic as a NERF blaster. Thougn not OHO the nail nick is deep enough and retention loose enough they open as easly as any thumb stud. Bright colors and a common tool based brand label disarm the evil factor.

Isn't the Bear Gryls pocket multi tool's main sheep's foot blade OHO? You know the SAK rip off one. And no one will ever feel threatened by a BG product. Or take it seriously for that mater.   
Did I just recommend something BG? :facepalm:

I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

gb Offline racer66

Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 09:01:53 PM
I find a friction folder like my Michael Morris FF can be OHO and prob something by smokepole too, you can see mine on my edc setup, East to use the tang and the pivot with a little practise, and no one is scared of it like a spyderco.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 01:34:35 AM
I would say "People Friendly" is a very relative term, and as such I would disagree with a lot of the choices here in this thread. I wouldn't disagree based on my own perceptions, but what I perceive other peoples perceptions to be ... if that makes sense.

I think for a lot of people, the Leek, Laguiole, and Mini Tighe Tac look too "stabby" to be people friendly. I would say the safe bet is a spear or wharncliffe/sheepsfoot blade, preferably with "organic" scales or red plastic i.e. something that looks like a SAK. Perception will vary regionally, but I think a clip blade or anything with serrations doesn't do much for pacifying the wary or more conservative onlooker

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 09:13:20 AM
I have once been told that I was "armed" ("I did not know you were armed" followed by a smile) when I used a buck mini toothpick (in yellow) to cut a thread and the GEC Bullnose (orange) was also described as a huge knife by a friend when I used it to open a box..
These were both totally legal, in non threating colours, used with one or two adults around, and their use was justified.
Had I used a larger kitchen knife these comments, serious or not, would not have been made.

I do see several older people, over 60, use their penknives to cut things and offer me e.g. a slice of apple, so a lot has to do with generations and their perceptions on what is a knife and how usefull it is to have one on you all the time.

So it all depends on how much people are used to the idea of someone having a, hidden/secret etc. knife on them.
Pure city people are just not used to anything apart from a small SAK really.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 01:45:03 AM
I would say "People Friendly" is a very relative term, and as such I would disagree with a lot of the choices here in this thread. I wouldn't disagree based on my own perceptions, but what I perceive other peoples perceptions to be ... if that makes sense.

I think for a lot of people, the Leek, Laguiole, and Mini Tighe Tac look too "stabby" to be people friendly. I would say the safe bet is a spear or wharncliffe/sheepsfoot blade, preferably with "organic" scales or red plastic i.e. something that looks like a SAK. Perception will vary regionally, but I think a clip blade or anything with serrations doesn't do much for pacifying the wary or more conservative onlooker

I have once been told that I was "armed" ("I did not know you were armed" followed by a smile) when I used a buck mini toothpick (in yellow) to cut a thread and the GEC Bullnose (orange) was also described as a huge knife by a friend when I used it to open a box..
These were both totally legal, in non threating colours, used with one or two adults around, and their use was justified.
Had I used a larger kitchen knife these comments, serious or not, would not have been made.

I do see several older people, over 60, use their penknives to cut things and offer me e.g. a slice of apple, so a lot has to do with generations and their perceptions on what is a knife and how usefull it is to have one on you all the time.

So it all depends on how much people are used to the idea of someone having a, hidden/secret etc. knife on them.
Pure city people are just not used to anything apart from a small SAK really.

Screw em all. Carry whatever you wan't. That's my outlook on it at least.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 04:04:48 AM

I know this is less than helpful, but if someone has a problem with your knife then it's their problem. Screw em.
I'm with captain here. I don't care what people think of my knives. I flipped open the blade on my wave once really fast and someone got scared and asked me if it was legal. I've also had someone tell me that I shouldn't bring my sak to a restaurant. Since clearly people have different views, if on paper it's legal I'm fine carrying it.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 04:32:52 AM

I know this is less than helpful, but if someone has a problem with your knife then it's their problem. Screw em.
I'm with captain here. I don't care what people think of my knives. I flipped open the blade on my wave once really fast and someone got scared and asked me if it was legal. I've also had someone tell me that I shouldn't bring my sak to a restaurant. Since clearly people have different views, if on paper it's legal I'm fine carrying it.

:tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 08:04:03 AM
Americans had gone soft. :-\
I would carry a rifle on my back everywhere I go if that is legal, I do not care how sheep people feel.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 08:34:27 AM
I think the OP was asking about something that wouldn't scare the [emotive term warning] average sheeple, not what a self-identified knife enthusiast thinks is reasonable.  A lot of us live in societies that have serious concerns about any and all things that they regard as "weapons", so it makes sense to not stir up trouble amongst the people you have to live amongst.

I'm comfortable carrying an MT like a Wave/Charge SwissTool etc, but wouldn't like to carry any kind of knife, and particularly anything on the "pointy" side of the spectrum, so I guess I'm in Tosh's camp  :tu:  The vast majority of MY cutting needs are met by the tiny blade on my EDC - a Squirt P4.

I have concerns this thread is veering towards a political discussion that could easily get less friendly and tolerant than I prefer in my favourite on-line community (MTo).  It is OK to hold opinions passionately, but try to remember that other people are allowed to hold differing opinions just as passionately.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:38:33 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 04:17:58 PM
When talking about others perceptions on matters regarding knives its so difficult to quantify what the vast majority deem scary or not scary. 

I find in the suburban jungle that I live in size plays a part in the "scary" and "weapon" perception.  I also find it's how one deploys the knife.  The crack of the lock engaging can startle people or the manner in which one opens their knife, wrist flick, wave feature, auto. 

I was in a DIY store recently buying lumber, the boards were banded together so I had to cut the strap to get what I needed.  Now I know this may be a place where these type tools are more "accepted" but non the less I was "courteous" when managing the task.  I used a Spyderco in a matter of fact way while there were shoppers and employees around. 

The same scenario while in Wallyworld with my daughter also brought no glares from shopper nor employees. 

I'm all for "carry what you will" but just like a Purple Mowhawk, it may likely draw attention and if you are not one for attention then................

I have seen some whip out their blades like they're doing a commercial for the knife they carry.  I understand some, heck many might have issues with knives, and as a knife carrying person I want to be a good ambassador. 

I routinely carry, SS Endura, Tenacious, Ambitious, and Native all without fuss from onlookers.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD