Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain Perfection?

us Offline toddwalla

• ^^Electrician and Tourist
Keychain Perfection?
on: October 31, 2014, 09:59:29 PM
I'm pretty new here and I am not sure if this topic has been covered to death, but I am curious to see what SAK y'all have on your keychain. Like many of you, I am constantly fiddling with and changing up my EDC to fit my day, week, month, you get the idea. For the last two years I have had a Victorinox Rally on my keys. That was largely because I was carrying mostly traditionals and wanted a way to open a beer with ease as well as have a toothpick and tweezers on hand. Recently I have fallen back in love with my first love, the Victorinox Tourist (the model of my first knife), now the Rally is redundant so I replaced it this morning with an Alox classic. A beautiful and rugged knife. But after looking around at other Alox 58mm SAKs, I find myself thinking that maybe the Minichamp is king...I don't know anymore.

So what do you all have attached to your keys? I am curious to hear what you think of the mini champ as a keychain EDC as well.
Looking for a Vic Tourist with a metal HILTI inlay.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Keychain Perfection?
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:10:14 PM
This is probably won't help you. But here is my set up. Just keys and they don't jingle.

Nate

uploadfromtaptalk1414789812286.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1414789812286.jpg (Filesize: 111.08 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 10:14:38 PM
I switch mine all the time, Wenger today, I would say the mini champ gets most of the key chain time. For me anyways.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 10:17:53 PM
Huge fan of the MiniChamp so it see primary keychain duty with a close second the Manager. 

Some will say the extra blades on the MC are unnecessary but I actually like them.  The Alox MC is one I'll be getting in the future because I like it so much. 
Esse Quam Videri

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 10:26:44 PM
Any thread that allows me to show off my Midnite Rogue is a good thread  :D

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:33:50 PM
Minichamp is Emperor!

uploadfromtaptalk1414791209926.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1414791209926.jpg (Filesize: 828.55 KB)

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:39:36 PM
I use a Vic Manager on my keys and as of today the Pioneer to make up my setup. 
edc103114.jpg
* edc103114.jpg (Filesize: 227.21 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 12:45:18 AM
Used to carry a Micra, now I carry a Brewzer.  Pretty boring really.  :P

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 02:16:21 AM
Vic Manager on mine. My only true EDC SAK. Despite me often being weighed down with full pockets of bigger tools, it isn't always the case, and the Manager has come to the rescue several times. It even came to the rescue once when I WAS weighed down with other stuff. I had to fit a light fitting for a friend, and of all the screwdrivers I had on me, only the one on the end of the Manager's nail file was suitable for the connections on the light fitting

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 05:16:53 AM
I think any SAK up to a 75mm are all rather keychain friendly.

Wish I could get an Executive with pen and LED. (...and cap lifter) 

Wish they did more the the 75mm line...Also wished they put scissors back into 84mm Alox, but what you gonna do right?
Wish in one hand, poop in the other. Which ones going to fill up first?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:18:59 AM by Fattsgalore »

Offline collim1

Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 05:24:16 AM
Victorinox Rally.  I find it more useful for me than the Classic SD.  I find the magnetic small philips driver much more useful than the scissors.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 06:11:40 AM
I have a Horn scaled Rambler on one set of keys and Alox Minichamp plus on the other.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 06:27:23 AM
I've carried both the classic and rally for many years and over the last few its been an alox classic on my main bunch of keys.
There is always another knife in my pocket so the keychain is a supplemental toolset and not the only option.

I was thinking during the minimalist challenge about what I would want on a 58mm if that was all I was carrying; the winner in my opinion is the Manager, I got one in "Rubin" and its Goldilocks just right.
My Alox minichamp seems heavy and the pen/tweezers are handy.

The extra blade functions on the minichamp can be improvised with the rambler tools so to me they are not essential. The whole one side of the minichamp is optional apart from the flat small screwdriver.

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 10:56:20 AM
This is my setup sometimes changes the swissbit for a midnight manager, and i love this one, looking for a mini champ, for me the king defenitly of 58" squad, i really want one, but always loose the auctions :(....

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 11:51:13 AM
some setups with vics:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 05:16:01 PM
For me it's my Weanger pocket tool chest. I relay like the mico SD and the awl pulse the extra length makes it   easier to use.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 08:10:39 PM
I don't carry any tool on my keys. It makes them too bulky. If I did, so far, of the tools I've tested, I prefer the Rambler.

If I had my druthers, I think perfection for me would be a Rambler with one scale replaced with the swisslite white LED light. I'd give up the tweezers for the light. I actually USE the toothpick with some frequency. I almost never need tweezers. Or the midnite manager pen scale replaced with a T&T scale. Works out to the same thing.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 11:33:02 PM
As you already have the T&T on Tourist, there is only one and only

Midnite Minichamp

:gimme:

us Offline mrog

Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 02:21:53 AM
Alox MiniChamp in the classic red.

People dismiss the extra tools and perks of Alox.
Alox scales are stronger, slimmer, and lighter weight than plastic scales.

Extra tools
-Cuticle pusher = bigger flathead screw driver & tiny pry.
-Package opener = really sharp blade for pulling cuts. Opens and breaks down all your boxes saving your blades from gunk and becoming dull. You could also make either of those tools into an awl.
-Wharncliffe blade = saves main blade from getting dull and/or certain tasks like food.
-Nail file = nail file.

Other keychain multitools
Plastic/Midnight/Manager/Rambler
-Less durable. Weaker. Scales add a lot of thickness.
-Victorinox LED is crappy.
-Victorinox pen in the scale is awesome, but I EDC and prefer a normal pen for a reason!
-Victorinox tweezers aren't good at tweezing hair for me. I have tweezers stashed around. I can deal with a splinter for a few hours or use a knife. I backed Cogent Industries Mini TiTweezers on kickstarter for my keychain.
-Victorinox toothpick is also cool, but I have flossers/toothpicks everywhere (car, work, home). At restaraunts I get a wooden one. I use paper.  I use the nail file. I brush my teeth. I use my floss picks. I don't need to pick my teeth that often. Tiny tiny bit gross.

The Squirt PS4 has some baby pliers and a pin, but it's heavier and larger. The keyring attachment sucks. I like Victorinox on my keychain. I carry a Juice S2 in my coin pocket if I wear jeans or a jacket. The Juice has actual pliers, a bigger knife, and bigger screw drivers to add to the MiniChamp functions. Not to mention bigger tools like Spirit X or Charge TTi are usually around.

The Micra has some nice big scissors and better flatheads screw drivers. But it's bulkier, heavier, the single large flat 2d Phillips is meh, the scissors are less precise, the tweezers are crappy.

You cant go wrong with the PS4, Micra, Manager, Rambler, or MiniChamp regardless of what I just said. Buy all of them. Tiny pry bars are also good for a keychain. It's like Pokemon, gotta catch em all!

Alox MiniChamp, Manager, Silvertech Lite.
An Alox MiniChamp has the same thickness as a Plastic Rambler!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:09:42 AM by mrog »
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 06:07:29 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Welcome.  Nice comparison shot, and great job selling the alox MC.  You've almost convinced me to buy one!

us Offline mrog

Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 06:49:13 PM

Welcome.  Nice comparison shot, and great job selling the alox MC.  You've almost convinced me to buy one!

Thanks homie I love this forum already. The MC is a great little tool. So are all the other ones I listed though too. This hobby is complicated lol

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 07:23:13 PM
Not convinced to be honest:
- white led is quite strong, use it almost every day
- pen is awesome, use it daily.
You lose that and you gain:
- Wharncliff - already have a tiny limited use blade, why have 2?
- Ruler - seriously? Who needs a 4 cm imprecise ruler?
- Cuticle pusher - eeew, ew, ew
- Cut-and-picker - absolutely useless for its meant purpose. I guess it can peel oranges or open a package, but the blade can open packages just as well and I never used a tool to peel an orange, I do have 10 functional fingers...

I'm not dissing the MiniChamp (actually trying to buy one now), but seriously most extra tools feel like an afterthought. Not a huge Wenger fan, but the Pocket Tool Chest kit sounds far better thought-up...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline odg

Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 08:24:26 PM
This is my setup sometimes changes the swissbit for a midnight manager, and i love this one, looking for a mini champ, for me the king defenitly of 58" squad, i really want one, but always loose the auctions :(....

That's a cool looking clip. What model is that?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 08:26:28 PM
What is Cuticle pusher for anyway ???
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 08:29:15 PM
That's a victorinox belt clip mate, quit a cheap one, compared to a p7 for example, much bigger I know, but looks really cool.

us Offline odg

Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 08:38:34 PM
That's a victorinox belt clip mate, quit a cheap one, compared to a p7 for example, much bigger I know, but looks really cool.
Thanks. Cheap and functional works for me!  :D

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 08:40:56 PM
And really looks good :)

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 08:53:19 PM

Therefor my EWWWW....  :td:

us Offline mrog

Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 08:56:52 PM
Not convinced to be honest:
- white led is quite strong, use it almost every day
- pen is awesome, use it daily.
You lose that and you gain:
- Wharncliff - already have a tiny limited use blade, why have 2?
- Ruler - seriously? Who needs a 4 cm imprecise ruler?
- Cuticle pusher - eeew, ew, ew
- Cut-and-picker - absolutely useless for its meant purpose. I guess it can peel oranges or open a package, but the blade can open packages just as well and I never used a tool to peel an orange, I do have 10 functional fingers...

I'm not dissing the MiniChamp (actually trying to buy one now), but seriously most extra tools feel like an afterthought. Not a huge Wenger fan, but the Pocket Tool Chest kit sounds far better thought-up...

I think the labels of the extra tools make them seem less useful than they really are. Like most Victorinox tools, the tools themselves are multitools. Alox is underrated for a keychain. Stonger, slimmer, & lighter than plastic.

White LED - You have to keep it held down tying up 1 of your 2 hands. The beam is a triangle of random specks, spots, and rings. The beam is multi colored from reflecting off the scale. The output is a fixed output of like 10 lumens. The battery is small and less common. Adds a lot of thickness. Any keychain flashlight is 10x's better. Is it really your only flashlight?

Pen - I agree the pen is useful, but I EDC a normal sized pen like a lot of people. I will also probably buy a better separate keychain pen like one from Valiant Concepts. This whole debate for me is really - pen vs alox & extra tools.

Cuticle pusher - Bigger flathead & tiny pry. Who wants to go without a bigger flathead? Not me.

Cut-N-Picker - Very useful. Saves your blades from plastic gunk. Saves your blades from dulling on plastic and cardboard. Zips open boxes with ease. Good for light scraping. Could cut a seat belt off well.

Wharnecliffe - Second blades are always welcome to me. Why wouldn't you want a second blade for different tasks? Both blades are very usable for my EDC needs. I don't find tons of hard use tasks in my daily life anyways. If I do, I probably have something bigger around I can grab.

Pocket tool chest - Lacks a good phillips. Lacks the Victorinox SD flathead. I prefer Vic plain edge scissors. Wenger isn't a company anymore. You can grind your least favorite tool on the MiniChamp into an awl. Awl is on my bigger tools. The tiny flathead is sweet, but so is the small Victorinox 3D phillips. If I wore glasses, I would care more.

Cant go wrong with any of them though, really.  :climber:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 09:07:50 PM

Therefor my EWWWW....  :td:
Thanks for the info, I am a guy, no thanks.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD