Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain Perfection?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Keychain Perfection?
Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 09:11:34 PM
Is it really your only flashlight?

A Led Lenser K2L on my car key and a Maglite Solitaire in my Skelly pouch (to be replaced with a Smiling Shark 5039) I just prefer my Vic one as it's always at hand wherever I go and more than enough for regular stuff (car keys dropped under car, light stops on hallway, need to check a stove pipe, ned to check a geocaching hole before sticking my hand inside...  :P )

I also have an Alox USB and an Alox Classic on my car keys. I got them so they wouldn't scratch, but rarely use it due to missing scale tools...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 12:04:40 AM
C'mon guys ... :D if something is useful (and/or declared) as a cuticle pusher, that in no-way means one has to use the specific tool (only) as a cuticle pusher, but instead could use some imagination or, ever better, use the specific tool, which would accomplish a task more effectively under certain circumstances :viking:

This kind of job, for example, can be done with SD's body, instead with the tip :D

But this one, of course, not! It's hard to do with SD's tip and it is impossible to do with the SD's body, so one would need/use a specific tool, let's say cuticle pusher, which is more than perfect for the purpose ... >:D

;)

:gimme:
mm.JPG
* mm.JPG (Filesize: 102.05 KB)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:09:15 AM by Caranthanus »

us Offline whill44

Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 03:02:17 AM
I always thought the Cuticle pusher looked like the little spoon you might see a actor use to yet just right amount of coke in their nose for a long day.  :pok: There, that ought to grease the wheels to have that piece of metal on my minchamp replaced by something useful.  :rant:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 03:07:04 AM
I always thought the Cuticle pusher looked like the little spoon you might see a actor use to yet just right amount of coke in their nose for a long day.  :pok: There, that ought to grease the wheels to have that piece of metal on my minchamp replaced by something useful.  :rant:

A friend of mine was looking at my Minichamp the other day and told me he'd never seen a SAK with a coke spoon before.....  I'm loving the Minichamp lately, it's been seeing a lot of use.  I've used the cuticle pusher as a staple remover and larger flathead driver so far, so it does have its uses.  The pen came in handy earlier today as well.  I used to always have an Executive on my keys, but the past few weeks it's been getting a well-deserved rest, and keychain time has been split between the Minichamp and Rambler.  I really like them both, and I'm becoming more and more of a 58mm fan every day.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline toddwalla

• ^^Electrician and Tourist
Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 07:13:32 AM
So, I want to thank you all for your replies! This is an awesome forum, and it is amazing to find so many like minded SAKoids! Now, If I can make one more request: I've had the Alox classic on my keys for a week or so now, and it has been awesome, but I definitely see how the added tools on the Alox MC would be nice too, can anyone help me out with some comparison shots of the two? especially those that demonstrate the difference in thickness between the alox classic and alox mc?
Looking for a Vic Tourist with a metal HILTI inlay.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 11:11:16 AM
There is a big different percentage wise.

I will take photos tonight, only have my classic and manager with me.
The Alox Minichamp is the same thickness as the plastic manager,more or less, so here is that comparison pic in the meantime.

20141106_120124.jpg
* 20141106_120124.jpg (Filesize: 75.08 KB)

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 05:00:06 PM
I've carried both the classic and rally for many years and over the last few its been an alox classic on my main bunch of keys.
There is always another knife in my pocket so the keychain is a supplemental toolset and not the only option.

I was thinking during the minimalist challenge about what I would want on a 58mm if that was all I was carrying; the winner in my opinion is the Manager, I got one in "Rubin" and its Goldilocks just right.
My Alox minichamp seems heavy and the pen/tweezers are handy.

The extra blade functions on the minichamp can be improvised with the rambler tools so to me they are not essential. The whole one side of the minichamp is optional apart from the flat small screwdriver.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about the mini champ. It seems to me, the mini champ is a result of Victorinox trying too hard to pack too much into a too small package. I just don't see where the MC can do what another 58mm can do in a smaller package. The whole idea of the 58's is a more compact minimalist keychain tool. I just can't see where cuticle pushers and orange peelers are needed on a 58mm.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Offline jrp316

Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 05:11:37 PM
This is a 58mm mod I made for myself a while back...it lives on my keychain nowadays and represents perfection to me. The Midnight Drifter USB.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 10:50:07 PM
So what do you all have attached to your keys?

I don't add anything to my keys.  When I do carry a small SAK, MT, etc., I use a separate ring.  That way, my key ring stays small and manageable.

I am curious to hear what you think of the mini champ as a keychain EDC as well.

Don't like it.  I have no need for the cuticle pusher, orange peeler, extra blade, etc.  So for me, the Classic SD, Rambler or Manager is where its at.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 12:32:44 AM
Cuticle pusher rules :D not even to mention "the spoon" option :facepalm:

:gimme:

us Offline mrog

Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 12:44:30 AM
So what do you all have attached to your keys?

I don't add anything to my keys.  When I do carry a small SAK, MT, etc., I use a separate ring.  That way, my key ring stays small and manageable.

I am curious to hear what you think of the mini champ as a keychain EDC as well.

Don't like it.  I have no need for the cuticle pusher, orange peeler, extra blade, etc.  So for me, the Classic SD, Rambler or Manager is where its at.

Cuticle pusher = bigger flathead
Orange peeler = box/package opener + blade saver + seat belt cutter + safety pull cutter
Wharnie = wharnie
Nail file = extra screw driver + poker + potential awl

It's not about why it's about why not? The others have the same dimensions except a little thickness which is already the smallest measurement. Alox > plastic :D
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 12:48:43 AM
Square the back of the cuticle pusher with a file and its a very good fero rod scraper.   :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 06:31:42 AM
The minichamp is just that few grams heavier that makes my security card lanyard fee like its hanging on my neck.
On a keychain it throws the weight to the minichamp and not the center of the keys. It feels like its controlling my bunch and not just part of it. Its heavier than the manager and even the swiss memory I used to carry years ago. 

My opinion of course.
20141106_165610.jpg
* 20141106_165610.jpg (Filesize: 102.26 KB)

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #43 on: November 08, 2014, 07:26:30 AM
I have 2 keyrings - one with my Vic Manager and the other with my Vic Rambler.  Either of these SAKs are perfect for the keychain.  Which one is the best depends on the need for a pen vs the need for a toothpick.
Each keyring has a 1 x AAA light so I have no interest in any "Lite" version of SAK.
I have a Minichamp at home, but it is too heavy & chunky for my tastes and too many tools that I never use.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline ypsifly

Reply #44 on: November 08, 2014, 09:08:26 AM
I get by just fine with a Rambler on my keychain.  I often baby sit my very young and rambunctious nephews and the mini phillips has saved the day more than once when a toy needed a change of batteries.  The cap lifter comes in handy after their mom comes and takes them back, lol.

I have a pre '94 Mini Champ with no cap lifter/mini phillips so that one sits on the shelf in my man cave as part of my collection.  Both a current cellidor (with pen and stuff) and alox versions are on my "to buy list", but for now the Rambler paired with my usual EDC fits the bill.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:10:28 AM by ypsifly »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD