Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New (to me) car shows

Whoey · 58 · 3098

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
New (to me) car shows
on: November 04, 2014, 12:33:08 PM
For the last little while I've been watching quite a bit of car shows on TV, I don't consider myself a car person so much... I mean, I fancy owning a 1971 Hemi Cuda, or any era Cuda for that matter, but I'm not really mechanically inclined oddly as both my grandfathers were mechanics of some sort.

So here's a rundown of what I've been watching mostly:

Wheeler Dealers (normal/on the road/trading up) - a show with humble beginnings after my heart, DIY fixem up and sell on for a profit. I'm rather enjoying the Trading Up series, but obviously accommodation and travel doesn't seem to factor into his whole scheme.

Fast N Loud - More humble beginnings, it's insane to see how fast this one grew... and at the start they were taking the piss out of the American Chopper guys and to me they are following the footsteps with the exception of the family feud part... These guys do mostly what I'd like, a vintage car with everything under it modern. The restorations are interesting too.

Misfit Garage - The ex- Gas Monkeys... Funny, and reminds me a bit of the start of Fast N Loud, and with all the crossing over back and forth it's pretty much an extension of Fast N Loud if you ask me.

Classic Car Rescue - UK/Canadian mix, with mouthy Bernie is a hoot, I also watched the chop shop show he did previously. Some neat cars through this show!

Graveyard Cars - A show entirely about restoring MOPARs, what's not to like? The ridiculous banter between the team and boss... this isn't American Chopper! Love seeing the cars, wish they'd show more of the actual work, less shop floor drama.

Lords of the Car Hoards - Really was digging this show, not sure if it will return for another season? Some amazing stuff out there waiting for these guys to come along and bring back to life!

Top Gear (UK) - I don't usually watch the show so much but mainly stick to the specials. I tried the US version too, but it just doesn't compare.

Some others I have watched previously, but don't seem to be on anymore or always repeats:

Overhaulin

Chasing Classic Cars

Street Customs

Pimp My Ride

Chop Shop: London Garage
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: TV - Car Shows
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 12:59:19 PM
Try TG Australia too.
It was fun...

I also use youtube and do a search... and whatever I feel like seeing, someone has posted it.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:11:39 PM
One at a time ;)

Chop Shop: London Garage: I think that guy is a creative genius and his work looks amazing. The result however is a sculpture not a car. Also they are quite limited to cosmetics (no fantastic technological overhauling).

That said his Porsche to Muscle Car Transformation is beautiful.
See here
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 03:07:49 PM
I like watching the Power Block shows. http://www.powerblocktv.com/

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 03:45:17 PM
One at a time ;)

Chop Shop: London Garage: I think that guy is a creative genius and his work looks amazing. The result however is a sculpture not a car. Also they are quite limited to cosmetics (no fantastic technological overhauling).

That said his Porsche to Muscle Car Transformation is beautiful.
See here
I never saw that one, they kept showing us the same 6 or so episodes over and over. Have to admit that's a nice improvement over the original!

sent from my Firespray-31-class patrol and attack craft

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 06:35:28 PM
I like watching the Power Block shows. http://www.powerblocktv.com/

Same here.

I also love Top Gear (USA and UK) as well as Overhaulin.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 06:12:13 PM
  I recommend checking out Gearz. Stacey David used to be the host of Trucks years ago on PowerBlock TV and has his own show now. He does some really cool and different projects:

https://www.staceydavid.com/
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:38:13 PM
  I recommend checking out Gearz. Stacey David used to be the host of Trucks years ago on PowerBlock TV and has his own show now. He does some really cool and different projects:

https://www.staceydavid.com/
I was wondering what he was up to now.  He was really good on Trucks, one of my favourite hosts.

Wow, 8 seasons!  I have a lot to catch up on!  :woohoo:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 07:51:04 PM
Car sos is ok think its called that ?my favourite is wheeler dealers  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New (to me) car shows
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 08:05:25 PM
I love car shows.  I can watch them over and over again.  My favorites are Top Gear (at least currently, I haven't seen the new season with new presenters, or the new project from Hammond, May and Clarkson), Counting Cars and Fast & Loud.  Another one I have seen a few times and I think is called Car Warriors, where two shops compete to build an awesome hotrod is another one I enjoy.

But, I have just began being able to watch Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld and another UK car show called Wheeler Dealers, and I rather enjoy both, although on WD I like Ed and kind of want to punch Mike.  He seems a bit grabby. ...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: New (to me) car shows
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 08:18:15 PM
actually the more I think about it there's even more shows that I have watched that I forgot about.

Top Gear, Wheeler Dealers, Counting Cars, Fast N Loud, Misfit Garage, Strip n Rip, Overhaulin, Classic Car Rescue, The Car Chasers and a few others I can't remember what they're called are somewhat regularly rotated on our Free To Air TV here in Spain.

There's also a couple Spanish shows, but I don't really enjoy them as much.

Thanks to the internet and being a mopar guy I usually follow Graveyard Carz for plenty of  :drool:

I believe Car Warriors was on here for a while too. They tend to cycle one show heavily then switch out with a similar show. Also annoyingly they seem to be on at ungodly oclock at night most of the time, and the stuff I've already seen 50 times is on during the day  :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 09:42:15 PM
I liked Car Warriors, although I have only seen it a few times.  I tried keeping track of when it was on, but it seemed the networks put it on at random times.  I see many episodes are now on Youtube so I think I might have to do that a bit more often.

There are others that I enjoyed- some episodes of Top Gear Australia were good, as were some of the episodes of Top Gear USA, although neither really had the broad, general appeal of the real Top Gear.

Counting Cars was good in the early days, but now they don't seem to show any of the actual work that goes into the cars, it seems to be more about the human drama, kind of like the way Extreme Home Makeover went.  Less about the build, more about the drama.  If I wanted drama, I'd watch the Good Wife or Arrow, but I don't because they are terrible shows and rarely build anything interesting.... I think that's why I like Wheeler Dealers.  Ed actually seems to not only know what he's doing, but then also does it. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 11:02:16 PM
I'm a fan of Wheeler Dealers as well.  It's gone from being a low budget cult hit to a relatively large budget show with a more pime showing time.  Format doesn't change though and I agree about Mike being a bit slappable and Ed carrying the show.  Ed is enthusiastic enough that even my 11 year old daughter likes the program.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 02:11:40 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one.   They also don't seem as profitable as the US based shows.

Def

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 02:32:10 AM
I recently watched most of the Roadkill shows airing on YouTube and Dirt every day. Dirt every day does some fun stuff with finding cheap off road vehicles and getting them running and off road. They also did some segments with production line jeep or Toyota and showing what they are capable of.

My descriptions probably aren't completely accurate but they were fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 03:42:42 AM
I'll see if I can find them.  I love 4x4's.

But then you probably already know that.

Def

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 03:46:51 AM
I am with Def mike needs a good punch, but Ed seems like good people.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 06:20:31 AM
Careful, comments like that might get you added to my signature!

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 10:32:55 AM
Wheeler Dealers is one of my favorite shows! Even the music they play is perfect whether a period piece or rock ish or elevator ish they match it perfectly to the car and what they are doing :salute:

Overhaul had a show in Las Vegas where Mike comes over and says hi to Chip Foose while he's working, Chip said to Mike "We know Ed does all the work!" which MIke replied "but I tell him what to do!"  :rofl: it was great.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 03:37:25 PM
Youtube shows is where the action is... sad, but they seem to have a lot more fun and interesting reviews, tests these days, and sooner.

I did post some I like before

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 06:45:47 PM
Edd and Mike actually did a show before Wheeler Dealers; Auto Trader.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 09:02:09 PM
YouTube is where the action is. I did post some channels I like a few times.

YouTube channels are faster with reviews and news and the quality of their shows is at least as good as the proper channels.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 10:24:51 PM

YouTube channels are faster with reviews and news and the quality of their shows is at least as good as the proper channels.

YouTube does indeed have an interesting trove of new car reviews, but I don't see many that do a lot or building, rebuilding and modification which is what I'm mostly after.  The lack of building things is one of the reasons I lost the almost fanatical interest I had in the Mythbusters.  I still like the shows, but I'm not as fascinated as I was.

I guess I just like to watch people build things.  :D

Def

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 11:41:49 PM
Not a car show per se, but did you ever watch Scrapheap challenge?

It's all about building stuff.  Not always very well mind you.... :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 12:04:18 AM
I've seen a few similar type shows like Junkyard Wars.  They are interesting for sure but they just haven't captured my attention like the others have.

There was a show that barely lasted a season called (I think) Rapid Prototypes or something.  It was a team of guys that built really cool type devices for no reason other then to see if they could.  I recall one episode where they made a back yard waterslide.  Basically they took sections of a waterslide and bolted them together in a 25 foot (or so) ring and mounted it on hydraulics that could lift and twist the ring as it spun, giving the rider the feel of going down a long and twisty slide.  They also attached a projector to put an image on the resulting water spray to make it look like you were actually sliding as well, and you could program in your own slide duration and any twists, turns etc for a truly customized slide.

It was a cool show but it really didn't last, and that's too bad.  They made some neat stuff.

Def

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 05:48:12 AM
Hey, I live in a car show! Between my entire family, we have probably had or still have 55-60 cars.

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #26 on: May 15, 2016, 06:23:32 AM
Careful, comments like that might get you added to my signature!

Def
Nope, your signature is full.  :P   :D

One show the guys keep telling me to watch is Diesel Brothers, though I haven't looked it up yet.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 04:20:07 PM
Hey, I live in a car show! Between my entire family, we have probably had or still have 55-60 cars.

See, now when you say something like that you know we are going to ask for details, photos etc!

Def

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 11:43:50 PM

See, now when you say something like that you know we are going to ask for details, photos etc!

Def
Oh lord, where do I start?! I'll get started with the pics

ca Offline JP

Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 01:44:06 AM

YouTube does indeed have an interesting trove of new car reviews, but I don't see many that do a lot or building, rebuilding and modification which is what I'm mostly after.  The lack of building things is one of the reasons I lost the almost fanatical interest I had in the Mythbusters.  I still like the shows, but I'm not as fascinated as I was.

I guess I just like to watch people build things.  :D

Def
Mighty Car Mods is up your alley.

Check them out on YouTube. Currently they are doing a $3000 turbo challenge.

One guy bought a stock Saab and is modifying it and the other guy has a Lancer/Evo that has its share of problems.

I believe they have 6+ years of content out. I am enjoying it.

They do up a Mini, Subaru Legacy wagon that they call SuperGramps and a pile of other cars.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD