Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Official 31-Day SKELETOOL* Challenge!

Kampfer · 1175 · 70924

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Official 31-Day SKELETOOL* Challenge!
Reply #1110 on: January 02, 2015, 09:52:37 PM
I bet I'm on "The List" now (if I wasn't already).

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #1111 on: January 02, 2015, 09:54:42 PM
I bet I'm on "The List" now (if I wasn't already).

Many of us have been put on Harley list at this point I think :rofl:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #1112 on: January 02, 2015, 09:56:14 PM
but I can't accept the prize.
We are not sending you a prize (you disqualified), but we are sending you a gift.  :cheers:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #1113 on: January 02, 2015, 10:01:53 PM
Send it to Getahl.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1114 on: January 02, 2015, 10:03:23 PM
I'd like to see Harley's list - perhaps he should put it up in The Break Room.
homersrevengelist_thumb.jpg
* homersrevengelist_thumb.jpg (Filesize: 72.9 KB)

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #1115 on: January 02, 2015, 10:05:04 PM
but I can't accept the prize.
We are not sending you a prize (you disqualified), but we are sending you a gift.  :cheers:
:tu:

us Offline getahl

Reply #1116 on: January 03, 2015, 12:45:59 AM
Wow, you guys rock! Thank you all so much, especially for the well wishes and good vibes. Just further evidence that this really is the best place on the net.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #1117 on: January 03, 2015, 03:01:25 AM
So glad to hear your little one is doing better Getahl.

Hmm I guess my record keeping has not been so good as far as The List goes. All I know for sure is Monrogue is at the top with a bullet.  :twak:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #1118 on: January 03, 2015, 03:07:02 AM
So glad to hear your little one is doing better Getahl.

Hmm I guess my record keeping has not been so good as far as The List goes. All I know for sure is Monrogue is at the top with a bullet.  :twak:

I figured as much :whistle:
K-Tibbs

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #1119 on: January 03, 2015, 11:50:43 PM
Having the Supertool go to Getahl sounds like a great result to me!  :D Nice one
And I hope Emily's recovery continues well - What a tough start to life - And very upsetting for you and the family - So happy all is going well now for you.

I have to declare myself out of the challenge anyway as I failed three times. Once by accident, once intentionally and once debateable:
  • I went away with work on a flight with just hand baggage - of course no tool or blade whatsoever. When I got back we were going away for the weekend - and I automatically threw a SAK into my pocket. I just forgot about the challenge :( - It turned out so be handy though as I needed the woodsaw when we were away.
  • One day when I was sitting at my desk at home, my lovely other half brought me a beer over, for some reason I did not have the Skelly in my pocket at that moment. I was just too lazy to go and get it, so reached into the desk drawer and pulled out a Dime to open the beer.  :twak:
  • When I needed to open that can in the garage (see earlier post) - I did use my SAK can opener - I guess to officially complete the challenge I should have gone and collected a regular CO??

Carabineer: It is the most iconic feature of the entire Skeletool family, however I have not found any practical uses for Skeletool’s Carabineer, but it does perform very well as a cap lifter.

I do  bit of rock climbing and bought the Skelly to hang on my climbing harness.
 - As many will know - all climbing gear attaches to the gear loops on a harness with carabineers, so the Skelly is ideal.
Pliers are certainly not essential for climbing - but could come in handy.
I guess construction workers/window cleaners, who work with ropes on the outside of buildings, and wear harnesses, would also find this tool and its attachment method handy?

Thanks fire the well wishes, all. It's not going to be a fun ride.

Anyway, sorry for the derailment, here's my carry fit December, an early model Style CS, with the speed holes (bonus points for those who get the reference), that I used a diamond sharpener on to add a v-grind to the blade. There's something about coal grinds that drives me nuts.
The Simpsons! When Homer is buying a new car and the mob are shooting at him.
Good man

Sorry I still don't get it - Speed holes? - Can you explain please ? - Although I am not a Simpsons watcher - so it may all be lost on me.  :(

us Offline getahl

Reply #1120 on: January 04, 2015, 01:34:34 AM
No worries, Huntsman. There's an episode, and someone please correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, where Homer is being targeted by a hitman. He's at a car dealership talking to a salesman when they start shooting at him, hitting the hood of the cat instead. The salesman says they're speed holes! Later, he's in his garage, hitting his purple station wagon with a pickaxe when Flanders wanders in and asks what he's doing; adding speed holes to his car, of course!

I'm sure it loses something when trying to describe it. Heck I probably got out mostly wrong.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #1121 on: January 04, 2015, 06:26:48 AM
So it is useful during rock climbing, as I suspected, that is why I didn't say it is useless.
I guess one can hang skeletool off the belt loop, but why would anyone wants a 5oz metal bangs around all day long. However, for smaller tools like Style Cs, Ps this would be a good option?

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #1122 on: January 04, 2015, 06:52:46 AM
I agree, give it to Getahl.

- Glenn K
-

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #1123 on: January 04, 2015, 07:15:08 AM
Congrats Getahl,

Glad to hear the little one is doing well.

Cheers,

Pete

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1124 on: January 04, 2015, 11:34:29 AM
No worries, Huntsman. There's an episode, and someone please correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, where Homer is being targeted by a hitman. He's at a car dealership talking to a salesman when they start shooting at him, hitting the hood of the cat instead. The salesman says they're speed holes! Later, he's in his garage, hitting his purple station wagon with a pickaxe when Flanders wanders in and asks what he's doing; adding speed holes to his car, of course!

I'm sure it loses something when trying to describe it. Heck I probably got out mostly wrong.

Sounds about right to me. Was it because he owed them money?

us Offline getahl

Reply #1125 on: January 04, 2015, 06:22:49 PM

Sounds about right to me. Was it because he owed them money?
Honestly, can't remember. I'm trying to remember details of the episode and I can't help but think of the early Family Guy ep with Fat Pauly.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #1126 on: January 05, 2015, 05:32:44 PM

- Glenn K
Thanks Glenn. Good to have you watching us during the challenge.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1127 on: January 05, 2015, 08:33:08 PM

- Glenn K

Rick is Glenn?  :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #1128 on: January 05, 2015, 08:38:50 PM

- Glenn K

Rick is Glenn?  :think:

Yup, well we did say he was a long time member. :)

Thanks for the help with the draw, Glenn. :hatsoff:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1129 on: January 05, 2015, 09:04:38 PM
Wait... who is Rick?  :think:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #1130 on: January 05, 2015, 09:09:01 PM

Judging by his early posts, someone who doesn't know a great deal about the Skeletool ... even though in his last post he appears to be the creator of the tool. Glad to see I'm not the only one who is confused

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #1131 on: January 05, 2015, 11:21:57 PM

Aha - I get it - 'Speed holes' in the car to decrease wind resistance and therefore increase speed  :D
I will remember next time I use my Skelly
Thanks

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #1132 on: January 05, 2015, 11:27:55 PM

Judging by his early posts, someone who doesn't know a great deal about the Skeletool ... even though in his last post he appears to be the creator of the tool. Glad to see I'm not the only one who is confused
So AL, what is your conclusion from overlooking the entire challenge?
Did it change your view on Skelly at all?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #1133 on: January 06, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

So AL, what is your conclusion from overlooking the entire challenge?
Did it change your view on Skelly at all?

Not in the slightest.

I still think the ergonomics of the tool are awful, both in pliers and driver mode. I still don't like how high the tool sits in the pocket either. For me personally the Skeletool is probably one of the worst tools I have tried - certainly from one of the major players anyway. Other people opinions of the tool will not change my first hand experience of it. There really is nothing about the tool that appeals to me.

However, I still stand by the fact that people need to form their own conclusions about tools, because other people may approach this and indeed other tools, from a very different perspective. I have actually previously recommended that people try a Skelly - certainly at least try to handle one in a store or borrow one from a friend - and I will probably do so again in the future. Just because I can find no redeeming features about the tool whatsoever, doesn't mean that someone else won't fall in love with it and believe it to be perfect for their needs ... or find themselves anywhere inbetween the two standpoints. If someone feels that tool is perfect for their needs, I am happy they've found a tool that works for them

The only thing I try to do when someone is being recommended a tool that I have issues with (not just this one, any tool), is to reiterate my personal views on it so that the person asking for recomendations is given a balanced spectrum of response. The noobs come to us for unbiased opinion, and if they start getting biased opinion, it needs balancing out or we're not doing our job right. Even if it's not a direct recommendation, we should consider the lurkers and those just passing through. If someone does a search on Google and happens upon a thread where everyone is singing the praises of a tool, and nobody has anything cortradictory to say, they might end up buying something completely unsuitable for them. If that thread has a balance of views, that person has got a better insight into the tool

I might have other opinions and things I want to say, but not until there is some clarification as to the above confusion. I find that little revelation of "one guy knowing little about a tool, then magically becoming a totally different guy who actually created the tool" quite unsettling .... makes me wonder if there's anything else we ought to know.

Anyway, time for bed here ... catch you all later  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #1134 on: January 06, 2015, 12:50:21 AM

Well can't blame a guy for taking an alias on a forum full of multitool nuts. ;)

Yes, he's Glenn, seen here next to a random guy off the internets. :whistle:

He also kindly donated the Trigger Knife Kits a few of you guys got for our last anniversary. :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #1135 on: January 06, 2015, 03:57:42 AM
Wow, that is one dapper gentleman shaking Glenn's hand ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #1136 on: January 06, 2015, 04:55:00 AM
Glenn should sign some Skellys so we can make some collector types wet themselves.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #1137 on: January 06, 2015, 09:22:01 AM
Looks like 50ft-Trad got to Glen/Rick before Grant did as he has a knife sticking out of his neck :o

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1138 on: January 06, 2015, 09:55:36 AM
Well I just scanned through all 40-odd pages of this thread and couldn't see anyone called Rick.
I also have really sore eyes.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1139 on: January 06, 2015, 02:52:06 PM
He also kindly donated the Trigger Knife Kits a few of you guys got for our last anniversary. :D
Which my son still loves! :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD