Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My take on EDC (by lister)

lister · 75 · 8409

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
My take on EDC (by lister)
on: November 08, 2014, 02:27:55 PM
I decided that I would like to start my own EDC thread, and this is it.  :multi:

So now what? Well I'll start with a group picture of my edc items (my htc desire z is missing from the picture since the picture is not its selfie  :D):

Ok, so there aren't so many cool gadgets in my EDC as in some I could mention, but there are some unique ones.  :D

In following posts I'll be adding pictures of individual parts of my edc with brief explanation what they are, what I use them for and so on. But the pace will be slow as I am quite pressed for time lately. I mentioned some of these items before and I'll add links to the previous descriptions.

A word of caution dough, I am bound to do some light philosophising on the subject of EDC so bear with me, or just ignore that parts if you cant.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: My take on EDC (by lister)
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:34:04 PM
It's nice to have a consistent EDC that doesn't change too much over time. Means you found your perfect carry. :cheers:

I recognize most of the stuff here from previous posts but look forward to seeing it all in one place. :tu:

Glad you like the Mini, it's one of my favorites. :D

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:04:44 PM
The mini is my favorite multi tool. I even like the small blade everyone seems to hate. I need to buy three more just in case!  :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 11:01:10 PM
Excellent, I'm looking forward to the break down posts.  :tu:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:33:24 PM
So after a week it's time to start this thread again.  :D

I'll start with my left back pocket. As far as i am concerned i am not George Costanza so there Is no room for lots of gear in my back pockets.  :D That is why I only carry the pwII in my left back pocket and a shortened version at that.

The original thread: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52036.msg886023.html#msg886023

I still didn't get around to making one from the original pwII so this is still the chinese copy.  :facepalm: For now it actually held up pretty well, but that maybe isn't all that impressive as the torque that I can apply with such short a lever isn't all that big. So is it even useful?

Well I used it multiple times to turn the valve of a water faucet at the local train station that is missing a handle (I wonder do they actually intend to fix that someday?),  I used it a few times at work to let the air out of the central heating, I even used on nuts and bolts and as a pry bar.So it does come in handy from time to time, but a normal person probably wouldn't bother to lug it around.  :D 

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 04:54:14 PM
Now to my right back pocket. No room for lots of gear rule still holds true. So this is the only thing that rides in my back pocket:

It is my modified fred. I use even its basic functions. In my country you still get the cans without the pull tab and all bottles are not the twist to open ones. So what about the spoon part? Well I never used It as a spoon, but I did use it to pry things apart. when the tip of the shortened pwII from the previous post was too wide to be useful.

I had to reshape the bottle opener as the original didn't work all that good. I also sharpened the curved part of the bottle opener to work as a box and envelope opener. I added the magnet to hold the blade of the can opener closed, but it is also useful for picking ferromagnetic stuff up (I tend to drop small screws and bolts a lot). So I actually use this one a lot.

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 06:28:33 AM
Great idea adding that magnet :tu:, I can definitely see where that could come in handy from time to time.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:54 AM
 I love to read why others choose to carry what they carry.  Pictures are also awesome so thanks for following up. 
Esse Quam Videri

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 03:50:44 PM
Time for me to continue this thread after a long delay due. Lately my work has been seriously cutting into my free time...  :D

And now the contents of my left front pocket:

This sheath that I made myself hangs suspended in to the pocket form a belt loop (the first one to the left of the fly). It prevents all the stuff from bunching up in the bottom of the pocket and protects all the gadgets from being all scratched up. It is a bit like a dangler but better.  ::)

This is all the stuff that is in the sheath:

The items listed clockwise from the 12 o'clock position:

* maillon - I use it to attach the sheath to the belt loop.
* photon Freedom micro led light - What could that be used for?!  ??? :D
* folded plastic bag - In case I need to protect my electronic stuff from water
* one piece screwdriver tool from swisscard
* letherman squirt ps4
* victorinox minichamp
* small brass capsule containing two spare flints - Made from a time setting knob of   mechanical alarm clock.
* maratac peanut lighter
* true utility telepen
* phillips and flathead screwdriver
* sewing kit - This one will be explained further in a separate post:
* keychain tweezers (uncle bill's)
* V sharpener - Made form a victorinox pocket sharpener that I accidentally broke and then modified for the purpose.
* rope ladder - Actually it is a loop of paracord sewn together in several places. I use it when I need to suspend the sheath lower than usual, for instance when I am wearing short pants. To set desired depth I simply move the maillon to the appropriate rung.

The two spare batteries for the photon freedom are missing since I just had to change them. The batteries, the plastic bag and the one piece victorinox screwdriver are stored in pockets of the sheath that can be seen in the first picture in the right hand side of the sheath.

This setup is the basis of my edc and can work as a standalone edc.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:53:11 PM by lister »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 07:06:56 PM
Has anyone ever made a serious study on how to lug all this stuff around? I am not saying that it will be me in this thread but I will talk about it a bit. I like to have all the stuff on me and not in a backpack or a bag so this is a topic into which I did delve a bit.

In many stories the authors actually do delve a bit in to a topic of how a man can carry all the needed stuff around. The first approach is the most physically impossible and is called a magic satchel or a hammerspace. The character simply has an unlimited space on his person or in a bag. In reality that is impossible and at the same time exactly the thing many of us want to do. In addition to that the characters in stories either carry stuff on their person on in bags/containers.

One way the author can solve the problem of characters caring all they need on their person is by employing one all-powerful object that can do everything like a sak of the Mcgiver, the sonic screwdriver of the doctor or a towel in the HHTG. Of course it is hard to find only one item of edc that can do everything with the possible exception of large amounts of money in a form of a credit card. :D I think that a generally agreed upon golden standard for a minimal general purpose edc is a multi-tool, a flashlight and a lighter.

The other popular way is to have the characters secrete various characters around his or her person. This basically means that all the stuff that the character caries and the way it is done can’t easily be seen. This means that he or she has an advantage of surprise and style. This is also the method I strive after with my edc.

And last but not the least is to have the character employ various pieces of gear in addition to their clothing to transport their possessions. This includes the well-known utility belts (Batman I am looking at you! :D), backpacks, satchels (Arthur Dent do you still carry yours?), tactical wests etc. In reality this is the most convenient way. It has some down sides. Utility belts are not always appropriate for the social role you find yourself in. They are great if you are the Batman, a policeman or a tradesman but not so great if you are a teacher or a clerk etc. In addition if the belt is too heavy it can hurt your back in the long term. Backpacks and sling bags are also useful, can handle heavier loads and their stile can be chosen so they are appropriate to more situations. But the downside is you can get separated from them easier than form the items that area attached to you.

Anyway I really need to make some kind of a study on possibilities of carrying stuff on one’s person. Like how does the anatomy influence the appropriate ways, and how the physics influences the ease of movement.  But not today…

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:27:46 AM
This is awesome.

As far as anatomy goes, what exactly will you be looking at? How items fit in the squall on your back? How thighs are not cylindrical but instead funnel shaped.

Therfore pockets don't really get in the way or "stick out" and bump things. (Unless you carry a SAK :P   )

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:45:44 AM
Has anyone ever made a serious study on how to lug all this stuff around? I am not saying that it will be me in this thread but I will talk about it a bit. I like to have all the stuff on me and not in a backpack or a bag so this is a topic into which I did delve a bit.

I am constantly re-evaluating ways to carry EDC gear on my person.  Like you, I prefer not to lug a backpack or manbag.

When shopping for clothes, I select garments with more pockets of generous size.

A zip tie is tucked inside the brim of each hat and some cordage inside the pocket of each jacket, for example.

I used to carry 5 or 6 feet of paracord in my pants leg.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 07:11:52 AM
Ah, EDC. What matters is the voyage, not the destination.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 08:02:18 AM
Ah, EDC. What matters is the voyage, not the destination.

Yes processing the process is what's fun.   I enjoy how each person approaches their daily carry and how they come to their decisions.  We certainly don't see enough of how this stuff gets carried only the bags and sheaths.  I like seeing how one assembles their daily tools and then proceeds to carry them.     
Esse Quam Videri

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 07:37:48 PM
@NKlamerus: First I will try to find some general rules and make some pseudo scientific diagrams then I will try to go in to the details. We will see how it goes, the next installment probably follows this weekend. :D

@Parnass: I like that you have something to add to the discussion, I hope there will be others. The more the merrier and all that.  :tu:

@Kkokkolis and Aloha007: Most of the fun in edc is indeed in inventing your own.  :cheers: :D

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 07:39:33 PM
Oh, also I wanted to share this:

http://www.ausgeruestet.com/2009/11/diy-wallet-pen.html

It is not mine but it is a great idea if you ask me!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 05:36:54 PM
The contents of my fifth/watch/coin pocket:

Sorry for bad pictures, but the light was really bad.

The first object is the leatherman mini, an awesome miltitool that should newer have gone out of production! Damn you to hell for that leatherman!  :D I really like this tool, even the small knife it comes with that helps a lot in making my edc non threatening. I don't want to be known as the knife guy or the armed one. That's why the longest blade in my edc is the one on the minie (I find even the 91mm sak blade is too long). I have it secured to belt loop with the black cord that can be seen on the picture.

The other item is bic mini lighter with my home made cap. I made it form a blue jeans and a lot of superglue. That combo is surprisingly useful and can be seen on another part of my edc, namely the capsule of my sewing kit.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 01:27:38 PM
In my right front pocket I carry:

Nothing, nothing at all.

But today I ordered something to fill that void. The kalarus mi x5 (http://www.klaruslightusa.com/index-34.html), the quite expensive AAAA flashlight. It will be the costliest piece of my kit. But I will have to wait for it a bit, since the Survival depot uk won't be shipping anything till the January the 2nd 2015...  :(

And now for the long wait...  :ahhh

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 12:01:08 PM
A closer look at the sewing kit (mentioned in my post about my left front pocket :D):

And the contents:

Starting from the upper left hand corner:

- thimble
- button
- a cover of the capsule (Actually it is also a thimble but it was to small for my fingers. That is why I put an earbud cover over it so the first thimble doesn't fall off when I put it over the second one.)
- three safety pins
- a small magnet
- piece of copper wire

Moving to the second row:

- the lower part of the capsule
- two spools of thread (black and white) whit lots of pins stuck in
- a needle threader
- a seam ripper
- small marlin spike... just because!  :D
- seven needles
- the case for the needles

hr Offline styx

Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 12:08:57 PM
how often do you have to sew something?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 12:39:00 PM
Not that often. When I made this I did not intend it to be an edc item. But then I found I had some space left in my pocket... :D

Most often I use one of the pins or safety pins. I used it to sew something 4 times in the last year or so...  :D But it is a nice peace of gear and I simply cant leave it home to gather dust, it is way better for it to gather pocket lint.

Besides edc is often not about what you need but what you want...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:46:01 PM by lister »

hr Offline styx

Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 01:25:38 PM
When you're right, you're right. I still don't understand why I have a tape measure and an allen wrench in my edc
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 08:13:14 PM
This is still the best pocket sewing kit kit I've ever seen. :hatsoff: I'd buy one in a second. :tu:

ca Offline leg0man

Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 03:16:43 AM
Good discussion on how/where to carry stuff - something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I want my EDC to be minimalist, but also have a lot of functionality, which seems mutually exclusive. Like you, I want everything easily on my person, not in bags or even coat pockets because I don't wear a jacket for half the year. I'm getting to the point that what I want to carry will rank as highly as style when I next shop for pants!

I really like your customised solutions, with the pocket sheath and the sewing kit.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 03:18:43 AM
You wanna talk about struggle for loation? I wear Gym shorts for pretty much all year. And even a skeletool "rolls" in the pockets edge!

Still wanting some Pseudo scientific diagrams!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 02:57:27 PM
Yeah, there is severe lack of good sewing kits on the market. And I had an idea or two how to remedy that... Can you imagine keychain awl/multitool? :D Just wait until I finali have enough time and energy at the same time to learn how to use free cad...

I am getting to the promised diagrams and further exploration of edc theory soon. The dam job keeps cutting into my free time.  :ahhh
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:32:44 PM by lister »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 12:20:10 PM

This is the latest addition to my edc. It is the klarus mi x5, an aaaa battery flashlight. Due to the size of the batteries it is really small and despite of them it is really bright. The body is gold plated steel.

The size of the batteries also brings some down sides. The main one is they are quite hard to get in my country but Ebay solves this issue for me. Also smaller batteries bring reduced run time, but with 40 minutes on the brightest setting I can live with it.

I made the dangler myself. As you can see I used a zipper pull and added a home made clip. The clip is made form the blade of a hacksaw which I ground in to the shape and bent it over a fire and than quenched it in a water. For added grip to the edge of the pocket I puled over a piece of heat shrink tubing and shrank it with a lighter. At the en I sewn it on to the zipper pull through the hole that once served to fix the blade into the hacksaw. Now it reside in the left front pocket.  :multi:

Ps: It is funny how you need a stronger flashlight at day than at night.  :D
Pps: At night every one in a group really should have lights that are of the same strength, If not eyes adapt to the brightness of the strongest one which makes all the rest too dim to see  by.  ::)

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 06:14:54 AM
I always appreciate the dedication and the ingenuity I see among the "pants based EDC" crowd. But I must be honest when I say that I do not envy you. I simply do not like a bunch of stuff in my pockets. Drives me crazy.

As another poster mentioned above, I too wear gym shorts in the summer, along with other pants or garments that cover the lower half of my body, and I just don't want to be limited to heavy cargo pants/shorts as my only option.

My pocket limit is a small single AA light, a folder, a Bic lighter, a Quikoin, a comb, an EAB used as a money clip, and lately a small flint "worry stone" just because it is nice to fiddle with and beautiful (and I am obsessed with fire making).

The Bic and the light go in the fifth pocket. Flint and Quikoin in the front right bottom, folder clipped. EAB and comb in left front pocket. Back pockets empty.

Where is the rest? In a bag.

I imagine the bag predates the pocket historically, though I may be wrong. To me the bag is the most obvious answer. I don't really understand the objection to it at all.

I can wear whatever I want and have the bag with me. I do not wear suits, but I could surely find a bag that would work with a suit if I did. If I gather more stuff while out or need to take along additional items that day.. hey! I already have a bag for that!

I also carry water every day. I drink 64 ounces at least on an average day, and more on gym days. I like to just have that in a bag obviously. Perhaps you don't need that option, I do.

I don't have heavy pockets. I don't have to worry about what I will do if I am going to be wearing athletic clothes or a swimsuit or a lavalava. I just grab the bag.

People always say, "But you can lose the bag!"

Guys lose their wallets, keys, cellphones, etc. all the time and nobody tells them to stop putting these things into pockets.

I am so used to the bag that it is an extension of myself. I keep it with me, I keep it in sight, I am usually wearing it or it is riding next to me in a vehicle. I do not lose the shoes I am wearing.. I am not known for losing my jacket.. So why would my bag be at any greater risk?

You know whom I really envy? The bum bag guys. Fanny pack, or whathaveyou. That is an ideal compromise in so many ways. Holds quite a bit, easy on and off, no need for full pockets, and so on.

Problem is (and no offense to you if you sport one) that a bum bag just looks awful on everyone. I simply could not wear one and go out in public without feelng self conscious. And I'm really not a self conscious kind of guy (see lavalava above).

And this is where I come full circle and beg the bum baggers to forgive me.. Because I wonder.. To you pocket carry types.. are all bags just bum bags to you? Is that the real objection? You just can't be seen with a bag?

If that is honestly it, then I suppose I understand. Because fanny packs. -shudder-

G

us Offline English333

Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 06:31:11 AM
You wanna talk about struggle for loation? I wear Gym shorts for pretty much all year. And even a skeletool "rolls" in the pockets edge!

Still wanting some Pseudo scientific diagrams!

I cannot even begin to feel your pain. This board short mentality is so foreign to me. If I remember correctly DC makes a cargo short/board short combo. 6 pockets I believe and made of a quick dry material. You could just carry your EDC and then leave it in the car when going for a swim?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 06:50:46 PM
I guess we could start a whole thread on man bags vs pocket carry vs bum bag vs other carry options. 

I personally don't like man bags and also feel the bum bag is really the best of all worlds yet I cannot bring myself to wear one ( yet ).  I don't wear tactical pants nor cargo pants nor suits so for me jeans and typically a shirt with pockets is what I have for EDC items. 

Wallet FLP, Handkerchief/SAK FRP, Lip balm Coin pocket, Bandana/folder BLP, Sheath on belt is how I run.  Typically I dont carry anything in my RRP and while it may seem like all my pocket are occupied its all light and easy to carry YMMV.  Cell goes into shirt pocket and key on belt loop.  The only time I run with a bag is when I'm out on hikes or need additional gear which I almost never in the city. 

I do love seeing who everyone carries their stuff and especially what everyone carries.   

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD