Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Cross Pioneer price check

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Old Cross Pioneer price check
Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 07:55:21 PM
Ebay question.

Do automatic bids someone else made keep being put in right up to the end? I mean how do I outbid the guy if his auto bid just follows right behind my new bid?
Until your bid passes the highest bid he put in, his will stay ahead of yours.

Sent from my Galaxy Mega.

us Offline Saluki

Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 08:21:38 PM

Good info thanks.

Seems I can not buy from E Bay until I get back to the states. It wont let me put my APO address into the system.

Guess it is back to trolling the Multi Tools For Sale forum on MTO and harassing you all until I get home.  :tu:

I think the name of the game here will be have my monies ready and be patient. Two things I am not very good at. Slow and steady wins the race.

You are 100% correct about patience being the key.  The thing I always try to remember is that most stuff on eBay is not once in a lifetime, one of a kind in nature.  That means there will be another one just like it for sale in a couple of days.

Red Cross Pioneers fall into this category.  There are a handful for sale on eBay at any given time with new ones being added every few days. 

What you will notice on EBay is that while there might be an average going rate for an item, there will be a fair amount of variability between auctions.  Something that averages around $50 may sell for $60 on one day and $40 the next. 

My philosophy is that if I am winning the majority of the items I bid on, it is probably an indication I am overpaying.  Instead I take the opposite approach.  I probably only win 1 out of every 10 or 20 items I decide to pursue.  Most of them get out of my desired price range before ever place a bid.  On the ones I do bid on, I lose more often than not.

When I lose out on an item, it is no big deal, as another one will come along shortly to bid on.   Over time I may find that I need to reset my expectations and up my bid based on history.  When I finally do win though, I'll know that I got the item at a good price.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 08:40:12 PM

Good info thanks.

Seems I can not buy from E Bay until I get back to the states. It wont let me put my APO address into the system.

Guess it is back to trolling the Multi Tools For Sale forum on MTO and harassing you all until I get home.  :tu:

I think the name of the game here will be have my monies ready and be patient. Two things I am not very good at. Slow and steady wins the race.

You are 100% correct about patience being the key.  The thing I always try to remember is that most stuff on eBay is not once in a lifetime, one of a kind in nature.  That means there will be another one just like it for sale in a couple of days.

Red Cross Pioneers fall into this category.  There are a handful for sale on eBay at any given time with new ones being added every few days. 

What you will notice on EBay is that while there might be an average going rate for an item, there will be a fair amount of variability between auctions.  Something that averages around $50 may sell for $60 on one day and $40 the next. 

My philosophy is that if I am winning the majority of the items I bid on, it is probably an indication I am overpaying.  Instead I take the opposite approach.  I probably only win 1 out of every 10 or 20 items I decide to pursue.  Most of them get out of my desired price range before ever place a bid.  On the ones I do bid on, I lose more often than not.

When I lose out on an item, it is no big deal, as another one will come along shortly to bid on.   Over time I may find that I need to reset my expectations and up my bid based on history.  When I finally do win though, I'll know that I got the item at a good price.

Nicely said. I did a little research with the SAK gurus here on MTO before getting into this Ebay OC Pioneer thing so I think I have a good idea on the price range.

Speaking of Ebay check out the sweet Gerber I won  for $46 on my very first auction!?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 08:56:03 PM

Good info thanks.

Nicely said. I did a little research with the SAK gurus here on MTO before getting into this Ebay OC Pioneer thing so I think I have a good idea on the price range.

Speaking of Ebay check out the sweet Gerber I won  for $46 on my very first auction!?

Is that the Paraframe?  Canadian Tire has it on sale for $13.99, but I didn't get one as I wasn't really sure what it was like.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gerber-paraframe-large-clip-folding-knife-0757189p.html

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 01:14:22 AM

Good info thanks.

Is that the Paraframe?  Canadian Tire has it on sale for $13.99, but I didn't get one as I wasn't really sure what it was like.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gerber-paraframe-large-clip-folding-knife-0757189p.html

Sorry I have no idea. I was just joking about being excited about the Gerber.

My plan was to hit the the Flicky forum and see if they knew what it was.

There is a guy in our S-2 that was upset because his cheap Afghanistan fake knife had broke. I was going to give the Gerber to him.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 08:08:45 AM
I was watching that auction, glad someone on here won!  Congrats. 

$30 +/- $10 is a reasonable price for a reasonable condition white cross.  That is about as far as I will go, but minty ones are in the $100 range and boxed minty ones are in the $150 range. 

It also kinda depends on who is buying, every once in awhile there will a flush with cash collector who will pay top dollar and then a there is a bit of a frenzy as the old timers feed him old limited models at a nice premium.   
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%