Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kirk's HFT shooting blog

kirk13 · 351 · 21079

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Kirk's HFT shooting blog
on: November 10, 2014, 01:52:44 PM
After much prevarication,it's about time I get this blog started :whistle:

For those of you who don't know,HFT is a field sport for sub12ft/lb air rifles,where we shot a course of thirty knock down targets,set at ranges of between 8 and 45 yards.

So,here's the story so far...

For the last few years I've been competing in both club competitions and the Southern Hunters South East England champs in the 22 class,using a BSA Ultra fitted with a Tench regulator. Over the last 18 months or so my results have pretty much nosedived. After finding out that the regulator had gone putt,I pretty much lost faith in the Ultra,and decided to go back to an old fashioned springer,which I did...

Unfortunately,the HW97 I bought,and christened Lyudmila proved to be something of a dead end :facepalm: The first problem I discovered over the summer season was that my eyes,or my right eye specifically has gotten much worse,so regardless of what gun or scope I was using,my brain Wasnt processing information from my eye,so I just simply couldn't range targets! On top of that,I've just had to accept that at 5'6, I'm just too small to use a HW97 :cry:

As a result,I've returned to the 22 Ultra,acquired a pump to charge it,and gotten new glasses!

So here we go,with the start of the 14/15 winter season...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Kirk's HFT shooting blog
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 10:47:21 PM
Sorry to hear Lyudmilla didn't work out, the 97 is a fantastic rifle.  Though, as you know, I had the same kind of issue and traded mine in as well.  :-\  What happened to the Ultra's regulator and did you get it sorted?

Best of luck with the winter season, I'm looking forward to the updates. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:17:06 AM
 :think:  Maybe if you called the gun Sharron or Tracy it would have shot better...   
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:34:21 AM
45 yards out of an air rifle! I'm impressed! Certainly my old BSA SS couldn't of shot out that far accurately :tu:

Sorry to hear about your shooting woes though, as there not cheap bits of kit :(

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 11:04:01 PM
Thanks for the  interest guys :tu:

The winter season started for me last Sunday...

Ford Ranges Winter Open League
9/11/14

BSA Ultra .22/JSR/Leapers 3-9x40
AA Field 5.52

Score 41x60(best scoring 22. Best result in open class 59x60!)
Ford is one of my favourite venues to go HFT shooting. It's an old FAA/RAF airbase,or at least it's the remains thereof. Normally half the course is set on what would have been the concrete dispersal area,the other in woodland. This time round,being a club shoot,the whole course was set on the concrete,or rather in amongst the airsoft combat area.

It made for an interesting and fun course,15 targets,going round the course twice. The Ford guys have a nasty nack of how to hide targets,including one hiden behind a bunker and guarded by wire mesh! Sneaky Kirk took it as a kneeler (and a knock down first time round,and a safe plate the second)while many far better shots than me doughnutted.

Unfortunately I dropped 5 points over the last three targets due to running out of air,but it was a lovely day out. Unusually for Ford,there was no wind,the sky was blue and the sun was out. Oh and the craic was good!

I reckon there was a potential 48x60 available to me,so 41 was a bit poor,but far better than most of my results over the summer. I've ordered a half mildot scope,to hopefully give me better choices of aim spots. The other major positive is that my new glasses seem to be a major. I'd realised I'd lost my ability to range targets completely. Turns out my stigmatisms had gotten worse. Not saying I Havnt had all sorts of gun related issues over the last 18 months,but if your eyes are gone,no other equipment changes will truly help!

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 11:12:18 PM
Monday 10/11/14

HPRPC Night shoot Championship rnd1

BSA Ultra .22 / JSR/Leapers 3-9x40
AA Field 5.52 / LED-Lenser L7

Score 0( I'm claiming a win!)

Second attempt at the first round of my clubs night shoots. Just like a normal HFT,except it's dark,and you use the torch straped to your scope to light your target >:D

Sadly I was the only one to show up with a gun,so I'm claiming the victory by default :D

It's an Home shot at  Horsham Hawks,my other club,tomorrow. Watch this space

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 12:50:32 AM
Sunday 16/11/14

Horsham Hawks Home shoot

BSA Ultra .22 / JSR/Leapers 3-9x40
AA Field 5.52

Score 49x60(14th of 21, sole .22 shooter)

Well,I'm rather pleased! A personal best for Horsham,and I got one over on my shooting partner for the first time since Febuary! Despite a 'healthy dinner' of take away fries and sliced spam,and far too little sleep,I seemed to find some form.

Tony(my shooting partner) and I got there early to help with course setting(it's also a crafty way to get an idea of the range to the targets >:D),and then had a few shots on the plinking range. When you can hit a 15mm target at 25yrds to ring the bell,your not doing too bad. Start hitting the 15mm spinners at 35,it's looking good!

I dropped 2 points over the first six targets,which wasn't a bad start,and,unusually for me,was scoring well on the 35-45yrd targets. I did however find out something useful today....I need to loose my glasses for the 8-15yrd reduced size targets. If not,I can clearly see the crosshairs of the scope,but can't see Jack on the target!

Overall,I was very happy with thus mornings performance,but on count back,there was a potential 53x60 available,but setting a PB for Horsham,and just missing equalling my best external comp score(I needed a kill on the last target :rant:), it seems that going back to the Ultra was a very good decision !

Tony had an off day with 45x60,so he's back in the shed tonight fine tuning the regulator he fitted to his S200. Be interesting to see if I can beat him next time
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:15:08 AM by kirk13 »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 01:19:12 AM
Sorry to hear Lyudmilla didn't work out, the 97 is a fantastic rifle.  Though, as you know, I had the same kind of issue and traded mine in as well.  :-\  What happened to the Ultra's regulator and did you get it sorted?

Best of luck with the winter season, I'm looking forward to the updates. :cheers:

Gareth,I think I'd let the pressure drop too far and the Tench failed. Tony stripped and rebuilt the Ultra for me,pretty much back to factory spec. I've started using a Hills Pump to charge it,rather than filling off a dive bottle,so I'm confident of what air pressure I'm using to get her into the sweet spot.

I tested four different pressure levels,so I'm confident of getting 33-34 full power shots

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 03:29:57 PM
This is now the third or fourth attempt at an update,and hopefully I won't suffer another IT issue trying to write it up!

To be covered in this series of updates:
Rounds1-3 of the Southern Hunters championship
Round 1 of the Horsham Hawks Winter League
Round 2 of the HPRPC Nightshoots

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 03:35:04 PM
Round 1 of the Southern Hunters was held at Buxted on 23rd November. I missed this one as Tony,my shooting partner was off visiting family. By all accounts I didn't miss much,as there was torrential rain,and Buxted lived up to its reputation of turning into a miserable mud bath.

The following week saw round 1 of Horshams Winter Series...

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 03:49:58 PM
Sunday 30/11/14

Horsham Hawks Winter Series Round 1

BSA Ultra .22/ JRR-Leapers 3-9x40
AA Field 5.52

Score 37x60

This was a tough one,and to be honest,I wasn't displeased with appears to be a low score.

This series is being shot on a Hunter course as opposed to a HFT course. The big differences being that in HFT,there's a direct path from the peg to the target,and there's specific rules as to how far away the targets can be,and to what size kills can be at what distance. With a Hunter course you may end up having a 15mm kill placed as far away as 60yrds( 45 being the max in HFT), and you end up having to go 'off peg' to find a clean shot.

I struggled,to be honest,as there were a number of targets set in such a way as be near impossible to get with a .22. The positive was the number of full distance shots I was able to take successfully in the woods. Thankfully my new glasses are doing the business! The flip side,is that closer shots are becoming more difficult :facepalm:

When we reached the field,the wheels fell off for me. There were 6 shots at over 45yrds,and I'd no aim spots,or ranging info past 45. There was also a bitch of a target where a wooden pallet was used to obscure all of the target but the kill...to add to that the target was set another 10yrds behind the pallet,just where my ballistics drop off a cliff! There were twelve targets in the field and I reckon I dropped 17 points :facepalm:

The last target in the field proved...amusing.

15mm kill at 50 odd yrds,part obscured by long grass...nightmare. I'd joked that I might have been better off taking it as standing unsupported,but took it from prone,and was luck to plate it for a one. There was some piss taking,so,for fun,I took another shot,this time standing. I bloody knocked it over. Shot in a million!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 05:44:53 PM
Regardless of score, still sounds like a lot of fun.
Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:06:54 PM
Regardless of score, still sounds like a lot of fun.

Cheers,it is a fun sport. It's one of the main reasons I've not really bothered with live ammo

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 06:35:56 PM
sounds like another fun day mate. :tu:

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 06:44:58 PM
Which Ultra variant?

Oh and give varifocals a think, I am :(
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 06:57:55 PM
I just took a moment to read up on what HFT shooting was. This sounds like a fun activity, and I assume it's relatively affordable with air rifles.

Also... i'm posting so this thread shows up in my 'replies' feed.

Keep up the good work, and this sounds like great fun. I might have to see if we have a 'league' or whatever for it around here.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 09:53:33 PM
sounds like another fun day mate. :tu:

There's been very few of them I've not enjoyed Gareth :D,couple I've been very glad to finish,but that's another story ;)

Which Ultra variant?

Oh and give varifocals a think, I am :(

Smashie,it's the old style single shot,with the cocking plunger mounted under the air tube,and a separate probe at the breach for loading. Basically a stalking gun

As to the glasses,I've a stigmatism ( not a stigmata >:D) on my right eye,which had gotten worse...I'll come back to the eye sight thing again in the catch up.

I just took a moment to read up on what HFT shooting was. This sounds like a fun activity, and I assume it's relatively affordable with air rifles.

Keep up the good work, and this sounds like great fun. I might have to see if we have a 'league' or whatever for it around here.

Hi Lynn,I'm glad you want to follow this thread :tu:

I know there is a HFT comunity in the States,but it's not as big as it is here in the UK. HFT is apparently the fastest growing shooting sport in the UK. Thing to remember us that any decent Airgun will either come from the UK,Germany or Korea. To give you an idea,I pain £400 second hand for my Ultra(a bit over the odds,but she had some cool go faster goodies built into her). You could buy a brand new 357/38 Marlin gallery rifle for about £300!

I'll see if I can find any links to American clubs,and I'll get back to you

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 09:59:37 PM
Monday 1/12/14

HPRPC Nightshhot round 2

After the fiasco of round one,this went....all wrong. We had six people show up,but had a complete light failure on the back 50 range. Comp postponed as it just wasn't safe to try move folks around in a dark building.... :whistle:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 10:41:20 PM
Sunday 7/12/14

Southern Hunters Championship Round 2
Mile Oak

BSA Ultra .22/ JSR-Leapers 3-9x40
AA Field 5.52

Score 36x60

Yeah,yeah,I know,i know :facepalm: I scored less on a 'easier' HFT course than I did on the Hunter :facepalm:

The Oaks have a great course. Part in woods,part in wide open South Downs fields,with winds whipping in off the English Channel. On top of these challenges I added one of my own by ripping one of the seals on my charging pump. The Ultra will give me about 35 shots on a 150psi fill,and I'd used ten shots on the plinking range...bugger!

Fortunately one of the Oaks guys shoots an Ultra and I was able to get a fill from his dive bottle!

Usually I do quite well in them woods and fall apart in the fields,but today was an exception to that. I done good on the long shots,regardless of where(including a kill on peg 13 for the first time ever!),but got murdered on the closer small reducers,where a combination of not getting my heart rate down with not being able to get a good focus cost me easy points.

Oh,and out in the field I recorded two of my four(four!) donuts by just not getting the windage right :facepalm:

All in all the shooting was fine,I took a lot of comfort from nailing so many long shots. Tony came home on a 42, proving I'm not the only one who can do worse on an easier course ;)

I also forgot to take my pump home with me...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:22:19 PM by kirk13 »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 11:34:04 PM
Monday 8/12/14

HPRPC Nightshoot round 2(again!)

BSA SuperStar .22/ JSR-Leapers 3-9x40
AA Field 5.52/ crappy Kree LED torch

Score 19x30

Hmmmm

Ok,so we kicked off 45min late, I forgot my LED/Lenser torch and scope mount,and,having left my pump at the Oaks,I couldn't fill the Ultra. The 'Star is my favourite air rifle,but it's not altogether up to the job as a competition gun. The guys from the UK Meet know it well,it's easy to cock and fun to shoot,but it's not(often) up to taking on AA S400s....

So with some else illuminating the targets,off we went. Field Air is the only disipline that does outdoor comps in the winter,and regardless of score,there's a very satisfying feeling of walking back into the clubhouse,wrapped up in thermals and camos,gunbag slung on your shoulder,and watching the rest of the club slowly inch away from you as if your a utter nutter >:D

Not that it matters,but there was four of us,I was fourth,though in fairness,I was shooting the only springer,and the only 22 :whistle:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 12:46:49 AM
Sunday 14/12/14

Southern Hunters Round 3
Ford Ranges

BSA Ultra .22/ 3-9x40 JSR/Leapers
AA Field 5.52

Score 41x60(second in class)

Well,it was a relief to find my pump waiting for me at Ford...some kind soul from the Oaks brought it along. I'd taken the 'Star with me just in case :whistle: After a frantic seal change,and a near heart attack inducing charge,we were ready for the off. Normally I'd have a plink,but I just couldn't face having to use the pump again :facepalm:

Unlike try previous visit to Ford,recorded earlier in the thread,the full course was used this time. Being typical Ford weather,the wind was roaring across the apron,and before long the clouds opened :facepalm:

So here's the thing...confidence....

Peg 10 was a full distance shot,with the target hidden under a truck trailer. I watched the pellet drop into the kill,but no,the target didn't go down. I called the marshal to check the target. Turns out I'd split the pellet on the edge of the kill. Ok,it was still only a 1,but I've gotten my confidence in my shooting back :woohoo:

Of course I donuted two pegs later :facepalm:

The trip through the woods was a mixed bag,but I knew I needed bout five knock downs over the last 7 pegs...I got them too!

While 41 wasn't a great score,I was talking to some of the good guys,and everybody was suffering. Guys who score in the mid fifties were struggling to the high forties,so 41 didn't feel to bad!

So that's us back up to date...aside from me getting to have a few shots with a .20 Daystate on Monday night :tu:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:06:37 AM by kirk13 »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 01:31:23 AM
Sounds like you've had all the ups and downs shooting air rifles can throw at you. :D

Never shot a .20 rifle, what was your impression of it?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 08:15:36 AM
Sounds like a great sport to me mate :)

I'd certainly love to have a go one day :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 09:18:27 AM
Sounds like you've had all the ups and downs shooting air rifles can throw at you. :D

Never shot a .20 rifle, what was your impression of it?

Er,yeah...

We were shooting at 50 yrds. The Ultra was putting five rounds into a target slightly bigger than a two pence piece(disappointing,it's capable of better even at that range). The .20 was a bit random. Using one aim point it produced two distinct groups,which o thought was odd,but that's more down to inconsistent pellets I'd have thought( JSB Exacts for the record).

I'd be interested to see what it's ballistics are like.

As for the Daystate? Very nice,but I'm never convinced that they're any better Air Arms or Weihrauch despite the super heavy price tags.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 09:24:27 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean about Daystates. :think:  The ones I've shot all have a pretty soulless trigger pull as well, so light as to be practically unreadable as to when it's going to break.  Now that could be the ways the owners have set them up, or just the fact I'm not used to shooting them, but I'm not a fan. :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 09:37:16 AM

I wish this was so, but it's not quite the case.  :D  Of course you could shoot with a sub £100 rifle and with open sights, but you'd not do very well. ;)  I shoot with a rife that cost me £400 and a scope that cost me £60.  The last competition I was at I was shooting beside two chaps who's rifles cost around £1500 each and nearly £1000 on the scopes, and by no means is this the top of the potential price range.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:41 AM
Just get a Ruger 10/22. They can be had all day for 300 US Dollars.

Crazy accurate with a match barrel and a good scope.  :whistle:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 10:05:31 AM

I wish this was so, but it's not quite the case.  :D  Of course you could shoot with a sub £100 rifle and with open sights, but you'd not do very well. ;)  I shoot with a rife that cost me £400 and a scope that cost me £60.  The last competition I was at I was shooting beside two chaps who's rifles cost around £1500 each and nearly £1000 on the scopes, and by no means is this the top of the potential price range.

Gareth's bang on the money with this, and we Havnt mentioned the charging equipment,either pump or dive bottle. Gareth's heard my quip that you need to be a masochisist!

Equally,you can get good spring guns at a cheaper price point. They're more difficult to shoot,but much more rewarding :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:16 AM
Just get a Ruger 10/22. They can be had all day for 300 US Dollars.

Crazy accurate with a match barrel and a good scope.  :whistle:

As much as that? About £150 here...

On a semi serious note, if you've a hundred meters to play with,you can safely set up an Airgun range. With 22lr you would need a major backstop,permission from the police and MOD,have issues with neighbours(22lr ain't loud but compared to an air gun they're the wrath of god)

On top of that,there's lisance issues...

On another note,tony entered the 22 Bench Rest league at his club at Galley Hills,entering his BSA Scorpion .22 against full on match rifles,tuned 10/22s and the like. Ok he didn't win..but he frightened a few people!

Likewise,I've gone head to head with a tweeked Thompson/Centre semi auto. He was firing off a bipod, I was using my range bag as a bench rest. Ok his group was tighter...just!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 10:30:23 AM
I remember my father (an old .22 rimfire target shooter himself) being shocked at just how pinpoint accurate a good air rifle is.  They've come a long way from shooting tin cans at 10 yards. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%