Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Reveal

J-sews · 11 · 3115

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Gerber Reveal
on: October 24, 2011, 03:52:09 AM
The Reveal pruners are new from Gerber this year (or last year, I can't recall) :think:  At first glance they don't appear to be anything special:

The really slick thing about them is how small they fold up:

This allows them to easily be carried on your belt, which frees up both hands. Just the perfect thing for hunters and outdoorsmen. :)  (sucking my gut in here!) :P

The way it folds is a double-scissor mechanism. This has the effect of giving the pruner jaws a compound leverage, somewhat like SOG does with their PowerPlier series of multitools. I was able to easily lop through 1-inch diameter (25mm) tree limbs. Hacking through these giant blackberry thorns was obviously no problem either.

The entire tool is built strong, yet is light enough to be belt carried without being a burden. Definitely two thumbs up to Gerber for this one. :salute:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Gerber Reveal
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:16:33 AM
Nice!  They seem pretty large though, but better suited to clearing brush than the Leatherman Vista/Hybrid cutters.

Of course if I was a Gerber Marketing person I'd call it the Gerber Mafioso and let the campaign write itself!   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 12:43:54 PM
Chunky but still quite portable and a good long reach on them :tu:...the way they fold reminds me of those ww1/ww2 wire cutters, great pics.

ps. relax :rofl:

http://www.alanburkhart.com/belly.gif

Update, couple of wire cutter pics as mentioned.
wire_cutters_open (375 x 312).jpg
* wire_cutters_open (375 x 312).jpg (Filesize: 46.51 KB)
wire_cutters_closed (350 x 326).jpg
* wire_cutters_closed (350 x 326).jpg (Filesize: 49.1 KB)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:05:41 PM by badwolf »
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline Janitor

Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 01:29:51 PM
Thanks for the quick review. Those things look really nice, and I think you're right. They should be seriously handy for getting ready for a hunt.

Of course if I was a Gerber Marketing person I'd call it the Gerber Mafioso and let the campaign write itself!   >:D

Def
:rofl: :rofl:
Nothing exceeds like excess

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:13:17 AM
Chunky but still quite portable and a good long reach on them :tu:...the way they fold reminds me of those ww1/ww2 wire cutters, great pics.

ps. relax :rofl:

http://www.alanburkhart.com/belly.gif

Update, couple of wire cutter pics as mentioned.

Wow! Great comparison there BW :salute: And here I was thinking that the folding design was "new" ::) ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 03:27:27 AM
Tough guys/gangsters should not need the help of all that leverage to do their 'work' :think:  :P :D.

Bob it does still look kinda bulky on your belt  :think: :think: would you carry it like that whilst hunting  or chuck it into your pack  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:45:00 AM
Tough guys/gangsters should not need the help of all that leverage to do their 'work' :think:  :P :D.

Bob it does still look kinda bulky on your belt  :think: :think: would you carry it like that whilst hunting  or chuck it into your pack  :think: :think:

I'll just carry it while scouting Mat :tu: (As it gets closer to the actual hunting season, you don't want to be out in the woods cutting branches and stuff) As such, it carries on my belt rather nicely. :)

Bulky is a relative term. :think: The Reveal is bigger than a Leatherman Vista or even a Genus, but it is FAR more capable. With its compound leverage the Reveal can easily lop off branches that are twice as big as what the Leatherman's can handle. :salute: Or looked at another way, when compared to other pruners that are able to cut as big of branches, the Reveal can fold up to half their size for easier carry. (if that makes sense) :P :D   

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:28:53 AM
I realize I'm a bit late here, but I really dig the Reveal after seeing your review Bob, and I will pick one up when I move up north this summer so I can take it scouting and hiking with me.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 03:20:27 AM
I can give them an unconditional endorsement Sean :salute: After shooting these pictures, I carried mine everywhere I went in the woods from October until the end of the year. They performed far better than any little hand pruner would have, yet weighed no more and took up no more space than a hand pruner. Definitely worth the $20+ I paid for them :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 03:25:07 AM
Glad to hear it.  I will definitely be picking up a pair later in the year!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 03:20:27 AM
Well after reading this thread that many years ago I am pretty sure I went out and bought a pair of these a month or so later but never got around to commenting on them :facepalm:

I started a thread about them over in the Gerber forum and they have been a very handy tool to have around. Not an EDC for sure but out in the yard and clearing brush around my property they rock :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%