Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kirk's HFT shooting blog

kirk13 · 351 · 21420

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Kirk's HFT shooting blog
Reply #210 on: May 31, 2015, 07:01:35 PM
Round :woohoo: three of the Sussex Interclub at the Swallows this morning. TBH,I shouldn't have even been there,with Tony off on his hols. My flatmate,however,very kindly offered to take me down

And boy,was it worth it! Despite wind and rain,I came home on 50x60. Best .22,gold,and second in class(.22 and recoiling combined)

Damn,I'm pleased with myself :woohoo:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #211 on: May 31, 2015, 07:20:34 PM
Round :woohoo: three of the Sussex Interclub at the Swallows this morning. TBH,I shouldn't have even been there,with Tony off on his hols. My flatmate,however,very kindly offered to take me down

And boy,was it worth it! Despite wind and rain,I came home on 50x60. Best .22,gold,and second in class(.22 and recoiling combined)

Damn good result mate  :drink:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #212 on: May 31, 2015, 07:41:16 PM

Damn good result mate  :drink:

:salute: Cheers Mark!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #213 on: June 01, 2015, 12:10:38 AM
Nice one mate!  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #214 on: June 01, 2015, 11:09:34 AM
Nice shooting mate! :woohoo:

I was out yesterday as well.  Brought in a very middling score of 38x60, but the wind was strong and gusting and only the very top shooters were bringing in significantly better scores.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #215 on: June 01, 2015, 11:22:48 AM
Well, I had my club's 'spring shoot' today.  As expected my HW57 didn't perform very well, though I still placed middle of the field.  I had my mate at the club give it a go and we decided that it wasn't just me being rubbish. ;) With that in mind we gave it a strip and clean this evening, with a light polish and re-grease of the spring and piston.  Also flipped the breach seals around to present the fresh faces.  I'll take the gun to the range tomorrow and see if all the effort was worth it. :D

Sorry Gareth,only catching up here now(bad Kirk  :twak:)

Did the strip help?

Humm...Some, but still not right. :-\  It cycles really nicely now, short and crisp but without a big jump and the accuracy is better.  However it's grouping at 25 yards is still too open and at 35 yards+ it's tighter than before but still looser than I expect of it.  Not a case of wishful thinking either, I KNOW it used to shoot nice groups at over 35 yards.

What we did find on the strip down was that the spring had become a little deformed.  While we straightened it up as best as we could and fitted a guide I suspect I'm still going to replace it.  Also the piston head had a few dinks and whatnot from the factory installation so if I'm getting a new spring I'll get a new head and de-burr the internals.  A brand new set of breach seals won't hurt either.  Anything else I should be looking for?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #216 on: June 02, 2015, 02:34:41 PM
Well, I had my club's 'spring shoot' today.  As expected my HW57 didn't perform very well, though I still placed middle of the field.  I had my mate at the club give it a go and we decided that it wasn't just me being rubbish. ;) With that in mind we gave it a strip and clean this evening, with a light polish and re-grease of the spring and piston.  Also flipped the breach seals around to present the fresh faces.  I'll take the gun to the range tomorrow and see if all the effort was worth it. :D

Sorry Gareth,only catching up here now(bad Kirk  :twak:)

Did the strip help?

Humm...Some, but still not right. :-\  It cycles really nicely now, short and crisp but without a big jump and the accuracy is better.  However it's grouping at 25 yards is still too open and at 35 yards+ it's tighter than before but still looser than I expect of it.  Not a case of wishful thinking either, I KNOW it used to shoot nice groups at over 35 yards.

What we did find on the strip down was that the spring had become a little deformed.  While we straightened it up as best as we could and fitted a guide I suspect I'm still going to replace it.  Also the piston head had a few dinks and whatnot from the factory installation so if I'm getting a new spring I'll get a new head and de-burr the internals.  A brand new set of breach seals won't hurt either.  Anything else I should be looking for?

Back at the range this morning and results are better.  Got my hands on a few RWS Superdomes to try and they gave me some good groups at both 25 and 35 yards.  Perhaps not 100% of what I think it's capable of, but I'd say around 90% there.  I've ordered up a whole tin of Superdomes and will put some real time in with them once I've got them in hand.  Since the strip down the shooting cycle has become very sweet as well.  For once I left the range with a smile on my face. :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #217 on: June 02, 2015, 03:18:23 PM
Good deal! Finding the right ammo that matches your firearm, or air rifle in this case, is half of the battle.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #218 on: June 02, 2015, 03:32:41 PM
Oddly I've tried the Superdomes before and, while they were OK, the H&N FTT pellets I've been using were better.  Seems my rifle might have changed it's mind. :D  Seriously though, I think it's still too early to call this a done deal, but it's another small step in the right direction.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #219 on: June 04, 2015, 12:43:31 PM
After working out that one of my scopes is definitely broken, making nice L-shaped patterns and having a very suspicious rattle, I had borrowed a scope from a friend at the club.  Wow, was I impressed with it.  Lovely clear as day image that blows my Nikko Stirling out of the water.  So with that in mind I decided to get one of them for myself.

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/riflescopes-leapers/leapers2732-leapers-2-7x32-red--green-illuminated-mil-dot-riflescope.html
The fact the price is very reasonable is a definite bonus, plus it comes with a set of flip-up lens covers that were a nice surprise.

Spent a little time with a tin of the Superdomes and, while they're better than the others I've been using, I'm still not 100% happy.  So I've ordered in a service kit with new breech seals, piston head and spring.  If that doesn't work then I'm stumped. :shrug:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #220 on: June 04, 2015, 06:59:24 PM
That looks very similar to what I use,excepting the turret style and the IR. I reckon they work a treat!

Good idea getting the new spring. Only other thing I can think of is to check to bore of the cylinder isn't damaged. Also check the loading port is lining up true...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #221 on: June 04, 2015, 07:25:16 PM
Cheers buddy.  The loading port seems to be good.  In fact the tolerances are so tight that I don't see how it couldn't be, unless you didn't fully push it down into place I guess.  I'll have another look at the cylinder when it's opened up again. :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #222 on: June 05, 2015, 09:49:54 PM
What was I thinking?!!! :ahhh

Don't worry, all's well. :D

Kirky: cylinder looks OK and now it's back together the shooting cycle still feels nice.  Dieseled on the first few shots (in the garage into a pellet stop), but sweet now.  Still need to take it to the range and see if it's any better though.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #223 on: June 05, 2015, 10:16:09 PM
Here's hoping G! Your 57 was sweet at last years Meet!

Waiting to see if my flatmate is going to join in the fun with us at the Home shoot on Sunday

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #224 on: June 05, 2015, 11:10:54 PM
Cheers mate.  My wife has given permission for me to spend a little time at the range tomorrow, so we'll soon see.  This Sunday is just a club day for me, but there is a comp next Saturday that I'd really like this gun to be ready for.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #225 on: June 05, 2015, 11:12:58 PM
You had anymore thoughts about becoming an idiot?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #226 on: June 05, 2015, 11:20:34 PM
You had anymore thoughts about becoming an idiot?

What, shooting a .22?  Still thinking about it, yes. :D  I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal to come up though, I'm not in any great hurry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #227 on: June 06, 2015, 01:57:44 PM
and it's........better.  Started off with the Superdomes and there was an improvement, but still had a habit of throwing 1 in 5 flyers.  Decided to go back through my pellet collection again (as I have at most stages of this saga) and it's still gone off it's once preferred H&N FTTs.  However I then got to my Air Arm Fields (4.51mm), a pellet that up until now it has HATED, and suddenly I'm putting out lovely tight groups at 25 yards and good enough at 35 yards.  Of course Sods Law dictated that I only had about 15 of these pellets left in a tin, and I want to do more testing before I say "job done".  Happily these are the pellets I use in the Brocock so I'd would have been ordering more anyway.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:30:26 PM by Gareth »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #228 on: June 06, 2015, 02:11:46 PM
Nice! Sounds like it tightened right up.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #229 on: June 06, 2015, 05:51:20 PM
Good to hear it Gareth :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #230 on: June 06, 2015, 06:03:35 PM
Cheers gents.  Ordered in some more AA Fields.  As I said, I use them in my other rifle anyway so they'll not go to waste, whether they are the final answer in the HW57 or not.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #231 on: June 07, 2015, 03:37:35 PM
Home shoot at Horsham this morning. Fantastic weather,very little wind at all. Same course as in May,twice through the Field of Tears. Big improvement over last time,with a 47x60. Got tripped up big time by the 15mm targets.

My flatmate came with me,used my BSA SuperStar. 28x60 for someone whose only shot twice before on a plinking range was damn impressive,despite a bit of Sniper's Eye!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #232 on: June 08, 2015, 12:36:39 AM
Good score mate. :tu:  I was giving the 57 a trial today, but using second-best pellets and fighting strong winds didn't really tell me much. :D. Still a nice day to be outside though.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #233 on: June 08, 2015, 09:27:43 AM
Good score mate. :tu:  I was giving the 57 a trial today, but using second-best pellets and fighting strong winds didn't really tell me much. :D. Still a nice day to be outside though.

That's very often the thing: Great to be outdoors!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #234 on: June 13, 2015, 12:54:19 AM
Next competition tomorrow, this one in the north of Scotland.  Lovely sun and calm weather all week, set to change for wind and rain tomorrow. :doh:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #235 on: June 13, 2015, 06:58:16 AM
Next competition tomorrow, this one in the north of Scotland.  Lovely sun and calm weather all week, set to change for wind and rain tomorrow. :doh:

It's in the rules,don'tcha know?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #236 on: June 13, 2015, 07:42:57 PM
Well the rules were broken as the rotten weather never did quite appear.:D  Drizzled for about 15 minutes and that was it.  Wind was very light and only notably affected a handful of shots.  Even better, I came in on a 40x60 which was good enough to put me in a shoot off for third.  Sadly I lost the shoot off but I'm still very happy with a fourth in my first stab at the recoiling class.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #237 on: June 13, 2015, 07:44:48 PM
Well the rules were broken as the rotten weather never did quite appear.:D  Drizzled for about 15 minutes and that was it.  Wind was very light and only notably affected a handful of shots.  Even better, I came in on a 40x60 which was good enough to put me in a shoot off for third.  Sadly I lost the shoot off but I'm still very happy with a fourth in my first stab at the recoiling class.

Good job Gareth! What did the class winner do?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #238 on: June 13, 2015, 07:51:17 PM
Two guys ahead of me on 47x60.  They're both very experienced spring shooters though so i'd of been surprised if they'd shot much less.  What i do need to do though is get my longer range aim points sorted, as i've only got it tested to 35 yards (the length of our indoor range).  I think there is something more to be found with an alternative pellet as well.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #239 on: June 13, 2015, 09:02:02 PM
Two guys ahead of me on 47x60.  They're both very experienced spring shooters though so i'd of been surprised if they'd shot much less.  What i do need to do though is get my longer range aim points sorted, as i've only got it tested to 35 yards (the length of our indoor range).  I think there is something more to be found with an alternative pellet as well.

No,that's well good Gareth :salute:

Not sure what your course set ups are like,but you get punished in Sussex if you can't land shots at full distance :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%