Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kirk's HFT shooting blog

kirk13 · 351 · 21254

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Kirk's HFT shooting blog
Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 11:43:27 AM
Just get a Ruger 10/22. They can be had all day for 300 US Dollars.

Crazy accurate with a match barrel and a good scope.  :whistle:

As much as that? About £150 here...

On a semi serious note, if you've a hundred meters to play with,you can safely set up an Airgun range. With 22lr you would need a major backstop,permission from the police and MOD,have issues with neighbours(22lr ain't loud but compared to an air gun they're the wrath of god)

On top of that,there's lisance issues...

On another note,tony entered the 22 Bench Rest league at his club at Galley Hills,entering his BSA Scorpion .22 against full on match rifles,tuned 10/22s and the like. Ok he didn't win..but he frightened a few people!

Likewise,I've gone head to head with a tweeked Thompson/Centre semi auto. He was firing off a bipod, I was using my range bag as a bench rest. Ok his group was tighter...just!

I remember my father (an old .22 rimfire target shooter himself) being shocked at just how pinpoint accurate a good air rifle is.  They've come a long way from shooting tin cans at 10 yards. :D

You Brits and your silly games. Next thing you will be saying English football is a real sport.  :whistle:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 03:09:57 PM
Just get a Ruger 10/22. They can be had all day for 300 US Dollars.

Crazy accurate with a match barrel and a good scope.  :whistle:

As much as that? About £150 here...

On a semi serious note, if you've a hundred meters to play with,you can safely set up an Airgun range. With 22lr you would need a major backstop,permission from the police and MOD,have issues with neighbours(22lr ain't loud but compared to an air gun they're the wrath of god)

On top of that,there's lisance issues...

On another note,tony entered the 22 Bench Rest league at his club at Galley Hills,entering his BSA Scorpion .22 against full on match rifles,tuned 10/22s and the like. Ok he didn't win..but he frightened a few people!

Likewise,I've gone head to head with a tweeked Thompson/Centre semi auto. He was firing off a bipod, I was using my range bag as a bench rest. Ok his group was tighter...just!

I remember my father (an old .22 rimfire target shooter himself) being shocked at just how pinpoint accurate a good air rifle is.  They've come a long way from shooting tin cans at 10 yards. :D

You Brits and your silly games. Next thing you will be saying English football is a real sport.  :whistle:

Don't be silly :twak: It's all about rugby
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 03:30:48 PM
English football?  You mean football.  It's your mob who had to add the 'American' to differentiate it from the original.  And anyway, (for once) Kirky's right: Rugby's a much better game.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 03:38:00 PM
English football?  You mean football.  It's your mob who had to add the 'American' to differentiate it from the original.  And anyway, (for once) Kirky's right: Rugby's a much better game.

Ah, but the big question is: Union or League?  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 03:46:52 PM
<--  Have a look at the little flag under my avatar and take a guess. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 04:03:52 PM
:D :D  I gotta admit that there have been far too many times over the last few years where I've been very happy to draw on my Welsh blood and support the boys in red. :angel:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 04:08:52 PM
 :cheers:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 04:25:49 PM

So that means you just support whatever England tells you to support?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 05:22:32 PM
Yes, but begrudgingly and in a foreign language when they're within earshot.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 05:29:23 PM
Not to keep the thread derailed and probably going to miff some folks off, but we recently discovered Rugby Sevens, and it's the first time in forever where any 'sportsball' game has entertained me.

As for the shooting. Around here, a Ruger 10/22 runs maybe $220 for wood or basic nylon stock. They can climb if you want a heavy barrel, or stainless steel, or any other minor upgrade, but still tend to run at/under $300. I love them, and one is on my short wish list.

On air rifles... I still might look into it. I could practice in my back yard, as opposed to having to go to a range to shoot a 10/22.

As my joy in shooting comes from the precision, not the bang, air rifles appeal to me.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 05:49:58 PM
I do like a good game of rugby sevens. 8)  Quick game play and very short matches make for some excellent rugby.  I was very happy to get tickets to go and see the rugby sevens at the Commonwealth Games earlier in the year.  I was less than happy watching the All Blacks beat Scotland, especially as they smurfing cheated!! :rant:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 06:17:31 PM
Not to keep the thread derailed and probably going to miff some folks off, but we recently discovered Rugby Sevens, and it's the first time in forever where any 'sportsball' game has entertained me.

As for the shooting. Around here, a Ruger 10/22 runs maybe $220 for wood or basic nylon stock. They can climb if you want a heavy barrel, or stainless steel, or any other minor upgrade, but still tend to run at/under $300. I love them, and one is on my short wish list.

On air rifles... I still might look into it. I could practice in my back yard, as opposed to having to go to a range to shoot a 10/22.

As my joy in shooting comes from the precision, not the bang, air rifles appeal to me.

A couple of years ago I'd the chance to buy a Feinwerkbau 10m match rifle for about £200. I didn't think I could make use of it so I passed up on it. I now use the club ones as practise for my standing shots. If you could pick one up for about $200 you'd have a (1970) Olympic spec gun. If it misses,you'll know its you at fault!

Failing that something like an HW80 or a BSA Lightning will give you a half decent Airgun. Pyramid Airguns in Texas have a website well worth a visit
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 06:25:08 PM
Thanks for the info Kirk.

On a sidenote, I love my backyard. I can shoot anything I want.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 06:30:11 PM
I don't suppose you're anywhere near the metro st louis area, are you? I can dream.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 06:34:42 PM
Nope. I live in B.F.E., Ohio.
You are welcome to come on over to shoot some guns and blow smurf up.
Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:04 PM
Thanks for the info Kirk.

On a sidenote, I love my backyard. I can shoot anything I want.

Cheers Nate...I'm back on campaign on Sunday morning again :ahhh

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #46 on: December 19, 2014, 03:53:33 AM
So I was checking out the Pyramid site and there are so many options and types.

Which is a good basic accurate model for playing with in my back yard?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 05:46:11 PM
Harley,I'll give you the traditional British answer to that: BSA Meteor!

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/BSA_Meteor_MK7_Air_Rifle/3206

For under $200,that's a good piece of kit. Also look at the SuperSport and the Lightning.

If your feeling rich,then

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Weihrauch_HW50S_Breakbarrel_Rifle/2152

Heavy,over engineered,but it's got the awesome Rekord trigger  :drool: :dd:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:51:06 PM by kirk13 »

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #48 on: December 20, 2014, 06:00:44 PM
Harley,I'll give you the traditional British answer to that: BSA Meteor!

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/BSA_Meteor_MK7_Air_Rifle/3206

For under $200,that's a good piece of kit. Also look at the SuperSport and the Lightning.

If your feeling rich,then

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Weihrauch_HW50S_Breakbarrel_Rifle/2152

Heavy,over engineered,but it's got the awesome Rekord trigger  :drool: :dd:

I can already tell this thread is going to cost me when I get home.

At least I already have some scopes sitting around.

The HW50 seems very nice plus it has regular sights too which I like.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: December 20, 2014, 06:06:32 PM
I can't disagree with Kirky (this time ;)).  One thing I would say is; whatever else an air rifle might offer, do make sure it has an adjustable trigger. 

I've not shot it, but this Ruger seems to be good value for money.  The Youtube reviewer certainly seems impressed. :)

I've owned two Weihrauch rilfes, and shot quite a few more, and I don't think there's one I didn't like. 8)  As you say though; not cheap. :-\

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: December 20, 2014, 10:36:50 PM
I can't disagree with Kirky (this time ;)).  One thing I would say is; whatever else an air rifle might offer, do make sure it has an adjustable trigger. 

I've not shot it, but this Ruger seems to be good value for money.  The Youtube reviewer certainly seems impressed. :)

I've owned two Weihrauch rilfes, and shot quite a few more, and I don't think there's one I didn't like. 8)  As you say though; not cheap. :-\

Gareth,I'd bet money that Ruger is a BAM XS20 or XS208

With the exception of BSA ,and certain Walthers,I'd avoid any air rifle carrying the branding of a rim/centre fire or shotgun manufacture,mostly they're rebranded Chinese knock offs.

I'm not knocking the Chinese guns,just that you can buy the Chinese brand much cheaper again!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #51 on: December 21, 2014, 05:49:28 AM
So you are a fan of the BSA guns?

What is the difference between the grt and se supersport?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: December 21, 2014, 06:19:36 AM

The SE is a spring gun(ie it uses a compressed spring to drive a piston), the GRT is a gas ram,and while I've not yet seen a BSA rammer,I've yet to hear anything good from a rammer of any description.

The idea of a gas ram is that it is a sealed unit of inert gas that is compressed,rather like the idea of an air spring in a suspension unit on a car or motorbike. The theory is it offers more consistant performance,smoother firing cycle,and less harsh recoiling cycle.

It was invented by a British company called Theoben,and I've fired a couple of their rammers. It ends up being a £500 that shoots like a £50 Chinese B2(apologies to Tofty if your reading this). Magic Bus,a sometimes member here got his hands on the Weihrauch version,and found it to be inferior to the equivalent spring gun.

Short answer...stick with a compressed spring!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #53 on: December 21, 2014, 09:46:53 AM

The SE is a spring gun(ie it uses a compressed spring to drive a piston), the GRT is a gas ram,and while I've not yet seen a BSA rammer,I've yet to hear anything good from a rammer of any description.

The idea of a gas ram is that it is a sealed unit of inert gas that is compressed,rather like the idea of an air spring in a suspension unit on a car or motorbike. The theory is it offers more consistant performance,smoother firing cycle,and less harsh recoiling cycle.

It was invented by a British company called Theoben,and I've fired a couple of their rammers. It ends up being a £500 that shoots like a £50 Chinese B2(apologies to Tofty if your reading this). Magic Bus,a sometimes member here got his hands on the Weihrauch version,and found it to be inferior to the equivalent spring gun.

The CS gun is a little cheaper too so that is nice.

Moot point though since I am thinking the HW30 might be for me.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #54 on: December 21, 2014, 01:23:44 PM
Thanks I'm now back looking at airguns :(

I need a hobby for my jack. Since he's now got the same problem that killed his mum he can't play football, rugby or any other contact sport he loved :(

So I'm thinking that something competitive like shooting might be the answer? He's never been too good with a slingshot but seems OK with nerf guns ect, so need to look into what the law says now about 12 year olds and air rifles :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: December 21, 2014, 02:28:38 PM

The CS gun is a little cheaper too so that is nice.

Moot point though since I am thinking the HW30 might be for me.

I'm not sure it'll be the same in the US, but here the HW30 is sold as a Junior rife and so comes with a lighter spring as well as being a more compact unit.  Could easily be it is a different spec in the US though.  You might want to have a look for a HW99 for a similar rifle but in full size.

I will say I've shot the HW30 and really liked it.  I'm 5' 11" and didn't mind the smaller size at all. :)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #56 on: December 21, 2014, 02:58:25 PM
There are so many options.

Will have a look at the HW 99 when I go to work tomorrow.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 12:29:45 AM
Update:
Horsham Hawks Winter Series round 2

28x60

Full report to follow

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #58 on: December 22, 2014, 12:32:09 AM

I need a hobby for my jack. Since he's now got the same problem that killed his mum he can't play football, rugby or any other contact sport he loved :(

So I'm thinking that something competitive like shooting might be the answer? He's never been too good with a slingshot but seems OK with nerf guns ect, so need to look into what the law says now about 12 year olds and air rifles :)

Edit for being stoopid, I'd go for HFT and an under lever springer, Something like Gareth's Weihrauch a 57? Help me obi-Kirky!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:37:19 AM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: December 22, 2014, 12:55:55 AM

Edit for being stoopid, I'd go for HFT and an under lever springer, Something like Gareth's Weihrauch a 57? Help me obi-Kirky!

57 makes a lot of sense...Rekord trigger,lighter and more manageable than a 77/97. Gareth's one is a gem!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%