Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Combo tool vs opener layer

Poll

Which do you prefer?

Combo tool and a thinner knife
42 (34.7%)
Separate openers in an extra layer
65 (53.7%)
Something else
14 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 118

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Re: Combo tool vs opener layer
Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 11:29:46 PM
Ok so ramble complete and nothing figured out.  :facepalm:
???  :ahhh :o
You're still in learning process, so there is no need to blame yourself ;)
Here is helping hand :D
... figured out that you "NEED" both of them :twak: >:D

Maybe that is why I can not get that Alox Pioneer out of my head? OC Red, Blue oh and a Green one. Wait forgot the Black with Red cross model.
You got a point ... :D
That's the SAKnight's most painful struggle, would say the real crux :facepalm:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 11:36:01 PM
Its really best to have one of each model you think you might need just in case.  Better more than enough SAKs, then NOT enough SAKs.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 11:55:13 PM
Its really best to have one of each model you think you might need just in case.  Better more than enough SAKs, then NOT enough SAKs.  :D

Bah I am just waiting for you to get caught up fool!  :twak:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 12:00:14 AM
Colours on alox is nice, plain silver works best for me though :shrug:

Not to mention there's the nail polish approach too...  :P
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:35 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate it.  Good to see that so many of you out there prefer the separate openers too.

:think: To be honest, it depends what else I'm carrying.

Not being a "SAK only" person, I can usually get away with a combo tool as I have other tools to back it up. However, if I'm only supporting the SAK with something like a Dime, then I'll want the full opener layer

I think that this may be the way forward.  Proper multi tool, SAK with combo.  SAK on its own, opener layer.  I do really like having the small blade as well though.  Maybe I need a Pioneer Settler. :)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #35 on: November 24, 2014, 11:06:50 AM
These combinations are driving me crazy! Since getting my Spirit, I have doubled up on all of my favourite tools except the mag glass.

In a way I'm glad the Spirit isn't properly legal carry here otherwise I'd have 'real' problems! :facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline batosai117

Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 01:04:46 PM
After an incident at my house I deemed the combo tool insufficient for my needs and would now be happy with having both openers in a layer specifically for the separate driver sizes. The shower knob in the master bedroom restroom cracked leaving the knob uselessly dangling on the screw that actually opens and closes the water valve. Happy to use my combo tool at the time I whipped out my newly ordered Compact and put the driver in the Phillips slot....nothing! It was just a little too large to fit. I was demoralized and had to seek assistance from my (gulp) Leatherman. After fixing the problem I went out and brought my farmer to the scene and retried the small driver aka Philips and lo and behold it was a perfect fit.
Texas Peace Officer
EDC: Victorinox Safari Trooper & Ruger LC9
Go Outside we'll be here when you return :)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #37 on: November 24, 2014, 02:46:49 PM
These combinations are driving me crazy! Since getting my Spirit, I have doubled up on all of my favourite tools except the mag glass.

In a way I'm glad the Spirit isn't properly legal carry here otherwise I'd have 'real' problems! :facepalm:

You need a Scientist or maybe a Cybertool Lite to go with the Spirit. :pok:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 02:51:21 PM

You need a Scientist or maybe a Cybertool Lite to go with the Spirit. :pok:

Get thee behind me....

I'm ashamed to say I have been looking at Scientists even though I have absolutely no need for one.....
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 02:58:58 PM
After an incident at my house I deemed the combo tool insufficient for my needs and would now be happy with having both openers in a layer specifically for the separate driver sizes. The shower knob in the master bedroom restroom cracked leaving the knob uselessly dangling on the screw that actually opens and closes the water valve. Happy to use my combo tool at the time I whipped out my newly ordered Compact and put the driver in the Phillips slot....nothing! It was just a little too large to fit. I was demoralized and had to seek assistance from my (gulp) Leatherman. After fixing the problem I went out and brought my farmer to the scene and retried the small driver aka Philips and lo and behold it was a perfect fit.

That is why you put a phillips in place of that silly corkscrew on the back. Or you could just send me the Compact for say the cost of shipping, since you don't want it no more and all that.

:whistle:

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 06:41:46 PM
Combo tool.
The Yeoman is perfect for a modern EDC.
It's hard to find a can that doesn't have a pull ring nowadays, at least where I am and the straight head screw is almos extint so I ca sacrifice them to get the in-line Philips in only three layers and combo tool works o.k. for the odd cases i need can opener or straight head.
victorinox should revive it.

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #41 on: November 25, 2014, 06:51:22 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate it.  Good to see that so many of you out there prefer the separate openers too.

:think: To be honest, it depends what else I'm carrying.

Not being a "SAK only" person, I can usually get away with a combo tool as I have other tools to back it up. However, if I'm only supporting the SAK with something like a Dime, then I'll want the full opener layer

I think that this may be the way forward.  Proper multi tool, SAK with combo.  SAK on its own, opener layer.  I do really like having the small blade as well though.  Maybe I need a Pioneer Settler. :)

One of the main reasons I carry a SAK these days is because of the failings of the Leatherman can opener / bottle opener. Personally, I find the combo tool on the Leatherman Charge to be completely useless for opening bottles and slightly better than a fork at opening cans. The combo tool on a SAK is infinitely better at opening bottles and significantly better at opening cans. My personal preference for can openers is the Vic can opener, but the Vic combo tool is not far behind it. The combo tool seems to actually open bottles easier than the dedicated bottle opener. I kinda wouldn't mind having a SAK with the combo tool AND the opener layer. The dedicated cap lifter is a better screwdriver and pry bar...

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 01:18:22 AM
Combo tool.
The Yeoman is perfect for a modern EDC.
It's hard to find a can that doesn't have a pull ring nowadays, at least where I am and the straight head screw is almos extint so I ca sacrifice them to get the in-line Philips in only three layers and combo tool works o.k. for the odd cases i need can opener or straight head.
victorinox should revive it.

Ah the Yeoman.

Rather then wait for Vic to come to there senses I decided to have one built. Well sort of.

More to follow in the very near future of 2015.  :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 02:27:37 AM
Rather then wait for Vic to come to there senses I decided to have one built. Well sort of.

Wow. Man, you got the SAK bug BAD. :rofl:

Kinda like crack, aren't they?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #44 on: November 26, 2014, 06:33:04 AM

Wow. Man, you got the SAK bug BAD. :rofl:

Kinda like crack, aren't they?

No not at all.

Heck I don't even own one SAK.  :whistle:

00 Offline undertaker99

Reply #45 on: November 03, 2018, 03:21:09 PM
Give me a Climber over a Compact any day.

A climber has no tools for small phillips screws.  The Compact does (mini screwdriver.)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #46 on: November 03, 2018, 03:44:28 PM

A climber has no tools for small phillips screws.  The Compact does (mini screwdriver.)

Undertaker honors his name 4 years later,  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #47 on: November 03, 2018, 04:16:52 PM
I got a used Compact on Monday. I used to say “Opener layer awl the way”, but now I can see the appeal of the Combo Tool.  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: November 03, 2018, 04:17:42 PM

You can get the mini screwdriver separately, for all your corkscrew SAKs. :tu:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: November 03, 2018, 04:20:10 PM
Pabs, are you an undertaker too? :pok:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 03, 2018, 04:30:24 PM

Huhh.... you do know you can add the mini screwdriver to any Sak with a corkscrew, right....?  :pok:

:D

I got a used Compact on Monday. I used to say “Opener layer awl the way”, but now I can see the appeal of the Combo Tool.  :salute:

+10  :iagree:

I was never drawn to the Compact much, and was pretty much "anti-combo tool", but since carrying the Compact this last month my opinion of it and the combo tool changed quite a bit. Yes, it will never be as tough as the bottle opener, but for my regular EDC i can get by easily with it.

That being said, i'm still carrying the Climber and Compact, as i still can't bring myself to decide on carrying one over the other....  :facepalm:
I know... i need help....  :ahhh   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:38:39 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: November 03, 2018, 04:37:07 PM
Pabs, are you an undertaker too? :pok:
I’m me. Who else are you thinking that I am doppelganging as?

All hail the hook!

00 Offline undertaker99

Reply #52 on: November 03, 2018, 05:39:40 PM
Huhh.... you do know you can add the mini screwdriver to any Sak with a corkscrew, right....?  :pok:
I prefer the default configuration.  Modding and adding tools ruins the look of the knife.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: November 03, 2018, 06:12:00 PM
I prefer the default configuration.  Modding and adding tools ruins the look of the knife.
Er.... modding? It’s literally screwing a little piece of plastic into the corkscrew.  :think:
You can buy lots of genuine corkscrew screwdrivers on some online stores that sell scales and such.
If a an employee in a Vic store can do it, it’s not modding. :)

Are we talking about the same thing?

IMHO, of course
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:13:04 PM by Don Pablo »

All hail the hook!

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #54 on: November 03, 2018, 07:17:45 PM

I really am drawn to the Compact. But, my Climber Plus has all that the Compact has, except the nail file. In a pinch,  I use the can opened blade to "scrape" my nails shorter.

I would be willing to replace the hook or corkscrew with a dedicated nail file like that on a Cadet.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:58:37 PM by Mizedog »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: November 03, 2018, 10:25:11 PM
~

Errr.... ok... so if the Compact that has a micro SD on the corckscrew as default from factory it's ok and looks good, but if you add the same micro SD to a Climber that doesn't  come as default from factory with it, it ruins the look...? How do you figure...?  :think:

And if even so... you do know that you can carry the micro SD somewhere else other than being physically attached to the actual Sak, right...?

Bare in mind i'm not bashing either the Climber or the Compact here, in fact i would be the last person to do it, as i'm loving them so much i'm carrying both of them as i can't choose between them...  :facepalm: ...it's just your earlier point doesn't make much sense to me, as there is an immediate solution to the difficulties you've mentioned...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #56 on: November 03, 2018, 11:25:40 PM
Necro vote for the openers layer

I prefer the variety and extra thickness of these tools ....... and having an awl !!!  I'm not so bothered about the small blade...

But I always thought it was a very poor trade - Four tools for one !!!!

Having said that I do quite like - and carry - the Compact - Eg in the evenings (going to friends or a party) or when you have posh thin trousers (dress pants) - So you do notice a thicker tool

EDIT: Hmmm - That did not sound too good   :o
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 11:27:31 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: November 03, 2018, 11:58:36 PM
I've been carrying the Pioneer X for the last couple of years, but carried a Compact for years before that.
I voted combo tool as I figured (correctly) it would be the less popular one.
I agree with Huntsman that one tool in place of four is a significant difference.
- Steve

it Offline Trix

Reply #58 on: August 21, 2019, 11:53:39 PM
Well.. I think i prefer the openers but... BUT...
While I've heard many stories about the combo tool weakness, combo tools bended and so on, today i had to deal with a phillips screw and it was fairly tight, but still i opened it with the combo tool of my compact and it was good: no bend, no damage, just a well done job. That leaded me to ask myself why so many people hates combo tool? maybe they abuse it? It could be.. I had no problem today but I was also careful not to damage it and I worked slowly.. What do you think?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #59 on: August 22, 2019, 03:03:34 AM
I typically lounge around the house with nothing but a Bantam on me--for opening cans in the kitchen, or the quick tighten of a screw on a cabinet door or something, it gets it done. Same with the 108mm German Army Knife, when I just decide I want to go for a walk, and need a few tools on me, but not a whole lot of bulk. For EDC, the dedicated layers. For me--BOTH. It just depends on what I'm doing.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%