Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tis the season! Missing item in USPS delivered package!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Tis the season! Missing item in USPS delivered package!
on: November 24, 2015, 06:33:39 PM
Just a heads up to all!

Yesterday I received a package that was suppose to contain a sak but all I received was an empty shipping envelope that appears to have been cut from the bottom wide enough to take the item out.  Since it was shipped First Class, I am out a sak!  SUCKS!

I will only buy items that are shipped Priority Mail now as the tracking number shows it was "delivered" to me!  Nice huh?

Tis the season for mail sorters or whomever to add to their collections or repost for sale later I guess!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Tis the season! Missing item in USPS delivered package!
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:18:29 PM
Friggin stupid crooks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 07:19:27 PM
smurfs

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:42:09 PM
Just a heads up to all!

Yesterday I received a package that was suppose to contain a sak but all I received was an empty shipping envelope that appears to have been cut from the bottom wide enough to take the item out.  Since it was shipped First Class, I am out a sak!  SUCKS!

I will only buy items that are shipped Priority Mail now as the tracking number shows it was "delivered" to me!  Nice huh?

Tis the season for mail sorters or whomever to add to their collections or repost for sale later I guess!

I still have fond memories of the retaped box missing a Paladin 540..... (Hey, I guess I was lucky as they only stole 1 out of 3 tools) Smurfs. May they loose a finger for every stolen tool or knife!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:00:49 PM by lowtech »

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:43:44 PM
I hope they cut themselves. Deep. Hehe.   >:D >:D >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:45:30 PM
I hope they cut themselves. Deep. Hehe.   >:D >:D >:D
Like NNR deep!  :pok:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:56:14 PM
Just a heads up to all!

All first class mail comes with tracking.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:05:23 PM
Just a heads up to all!

That sucks. sorry to hear. I think priority also comes with insurance. First class doesn't.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:09:08 PM
Just a heads up to all!

That sucks. sorry to hear. I think priority also comes with insurance. First class doesn't.

No insurance on First Class unless bought separately, but all First Class mail comes with tracking now.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 09:17:14 PM
Just a heads up to all!

Yeah, I meant it to say that I will only buy items shipped Priority because it has insurance, not tracking.  I know First Class has tracking as the package (which was a Swisschamp for my oldest to use/play with) shows that it was delivered.  You can still scan an empty package to show it.

Below are two pics, one showing the cut package (I black out the info) and the second one shows the USPS plastic bag (about 10x15 inches) that the empty/flattened package was in as I received it in my mailbox.  I took the pic showing the writing on the bag.
package.jpg
* package.jpg (Filesize: 197.72 KB)
plastic bag.jpg
* plastic bag.jpg (Filesize: 252.25 KB)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:31:28 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 10:07:54 PM
If you paid with Paypal I think you are covered and isn't it the sellers responsibility if something is lost in the mail ?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:40 PM
If you paid with Paypal I think you are covered and isn't it the sellers responsibility if something is lost in the mail ?
For an ebay purchase, I believe you're right.  For that reason, I will never sell something on ebay.  Far too easy for a dishonest buyer to get a refund, and you're out the money and knife.

I know that's not Mike, but it's not the sellers fault that the postal service lost the knife.  USPS should be the ones that have to pay, not the buyer or seller.  The system sucks, as adding insurance (from my own experience) doubles or triples the shipping cost.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:31:47 PM
 :facepalm: :rant:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 10:38:16 PM
For an ebay purchase, I believe you're right.  For that reason, I will never sell something on ebay.  Far too easy for a dishonest buyer to get a refund, and you're out the money and knife.

I know that's not Mike, but it's not the sellers fault that the postal service lost the knife.  USPS should be the ones that have to pay, not the buyer or seller.  The system sucks, as adding insurance (from my own experience) doubles or triples the shipping cost.

Agreed on the price hit for insurance. Especially if shipping out of country. Prices escalate really quick. However, after a couple of close calls, I always opt for tracked and insured. Those packets always seem to arrive intact...

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 11:35:10 PM

This was an Ebay sale but this is why I won't go thru Paypal on this as it would not be right but I guess I would say "took the knife" not "lost the knife"!  :)

Insurance I guess it a must depending on value but if it costs $2.75 to ship First Class, it might be worth it to pay an extra $2.50 to get Priority Mail which is usually faster turn around time and adds the benefit of insurance. Also eliminates a headache for only $2.50 more!!!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:36:38 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 11:48:43 PM
Just a heads up to all!

I still have fond memories of the retaped box missing a Paladin 540..... (Hey, I guess I was lucky as they only stole 1 out of 3 tools) Smurfs. May they loose a finger for every stolen tool or knife!

+++

I'm still irked by the USPS who "lost" a package INSIDE their facility  :facepalm:.  I cannot believe it was misplaced.  They should all be checked after work since they have access to so many items that can easily go missing.   A simple case of the wolves watching the sheep IMO.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gregpost

Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 12:17:46 AM
If it's a small item I always try to send/receive the item by USPS Priority mail flat rate box. It's $6.00 at the Post Office and even less if you buy it through your eBay seller account. It comes with $50 insurance by default.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 12:18:51 AM by gregpost »

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 04:08:11 AM
Have you notified seller? The seller is at fault for shipping a knife in a padded envelope. That is a terrible move in my opinion. I ship every thing in a box to alleviate any problems like this. I say go after the seller.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 04:53:15 AM
Have you notified seller? The seller is at fault for shipping a knife in a padded envelope. That is a terrible move in my opinion. I ship every thing in a box to alleviate any problems like this. I say go after the seller.

Of course I have contacted the Seller and he has actually called USPS and filed a claim.  I dont believe anything will happen from it but if you look at his side of it, it does show his package was delivered so what could I do.  I did tell the sell that he should have taped the whole package good to at least make it a bit harder and less likely of an "accident" that happens during sort. 

us Offline gregpost

Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 05:23:21 AM
 These packages go through a myriad of sorting machines, package or box, snags happen.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 05:29:33 AM
These packages go through a myriad of sorting machines, package or box, snags happen.

True, but if an envelope has been sliced open by your machinery and dropped out its contents, the contents should be lying around at the place where they fell out.  Then you have an opened envelope and some contents, so maybe try to match them up - or ask the recipient what they were expecting in this package so the contents can be re-united with the owner ?  In this instance the USPS people did notice the opened envelope, so they were aware of the problem.

Having said that, I always completely wrap all my envelopes or boxes with strong packaging tape so they can't be easily opened (either accidentally or "accidentally-on-purpose"), and where possible I pay extra for tracking AND insurance (I've noticed I have MUCH less trouble with insured packages).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 06:01:12 AM

True, but if an envelope has been sliced open by your machinery and dropped out its contents, the contents should be lying around at the place where they fell out.  Then you have an opened envelope and some contents, so maybe try to match them up - or ask the recipient what they were expecting in this package so the contents can be re-united with the owner ?  In this instance the USPS people did notice the opened envelope, so they were aware of the problem.

Having said that, I always completely wrap all my envelopes or boxes with strong packaging tape so they can't be easily opened (either accidentally or "accidentally-on-purpose"), and where possible I pay extra for tracking AND insurance (I've noticed I have MUCH less trouble with insured packages).

+1 on first paragraph!

I too always tape up my packages completely to also help avoid these "accidents but I don't always put insurance on them.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 07:02:43 AM
I had a package of 6 Rough Riders which was "lost" in the post office.

Now my Charge sent from UK is waiting somewhere in Brazil where the smurfs sent it. I shudder to think if and how the package will get here...

Note: USPS First Class International is neither tracked nor insured but the difference is about 20 USD so usually it's worth the risk...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 07:39:07 AM
I am sure that others have a package or two that has not been received.   I have only had one package in my luxurious career of buying/selling/rebuying/reselling (LOL) and luckily for me the item was shipped Priority Mail.  The package literally got lost and never showed up but it was easily replaced with the insurance so all was good.  I do feel fortunate that it only happened once in many, many, many years and many, many, many items that have passed thru my hands! 

I only started this thread so everyone will think about the way they ship items from now on and in case we got lazy/somewhat brain dead about saving $2 by not shipping Priority Mail vs using First Class so please just consider this thread a reminder!

We all understand stuff happens but like gregozedobe stated, it would be nice if it was an accident that when they find an empty envelope and an litem laying around, they try to match it up and not just pocket it.

Thx.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:40:42 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 05:27:41 PM
Just a heads up that it looks like people are starting to swipe packages since its the busy season also...  :facepalm:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD