Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kick vs Other Leathermans

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Kick vs Other Leathermans
Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 02:16:07 PM
Non-locking sub-3'' balde; that's what is required to be EDCable here in the UK. Probably unintentional from LM but that's a good thing here (there is a knife paranoia at the moment). I am getting a Kick as my first LM for that very reason (and there are cheap too!)
Let us know how you get on with it mate, as there's probably quite a few Brits thinking the same thing :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline SLT.AMBEMC

Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 04:34:50 PM
Definitively! It is on its way at the moment. I will post my impressions when I get it.
LM Kick, Swisstool, Paul Chen Multitasker, and many unbranded ones

Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 06:07:27 PM
Definitively! It is on its way at the moment. I will post my impressions when I get it.
Wicked :), thanks mate :cheers:

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 11:50:14 AM
Non-locking sub-3'' balde; that's what is required to be EDCable here in the UK. Probably unintentional from LM but that's a good thing here (there is a knife paranoia at the moment). I am getting a Kick as my first LM for that very reason (and there are cheap too!)
Let us know how you get on with it mate, as there's probably quite a few Brits thinking the same thing :)

hey how do they deal with self modified ones,i mean if some locking blade has been modified to non locking by grinding away locking grooves or notches/latches?

and how about shortened blades?

i mean like taka surge for exampla,remove locking groove and wet grind blades to accommondate restrictions by yourself,is it ok there?

spam Offline SLT.AMBEMC

Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 12:31:58 PM
Yes, I suppose self-mods are okay. It is also probably wise to make it obvious to a scrutineer that the locking system has been disabled on purpose and cannot be re-activated on the spot (check the BB forum for threads on UK law on that matter). I got the Kick today. I posted some first impressions but they seem to have been eaten away by my computer so I will post them again later.

spam Offline SLT.AMBEMC

Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 01:01:34 PM
So I got my first proper :multi: ever (I've got so far no-name multis of varied quality) and I an pleased with it. UK members might be interested to know I ordered it from a UK website called shop4leatherman on Wednesday and got it delivered on Thursday sent via RMSD (was not here so I only got it this morning).
First thing I checked was the blade; it is unarguably legal EDC with the blade being below 3'' from tip to axis or tip to ricasso (the cutting edge is about 2.5'' give or take). It snaps solidly in place and is razor sharp out of the box (paper test). The pliers open easily (I could alomost flick it open but for a few hard spots that seem there on purpose to keep the tool closed). No clumping when opening the blade, cross-screw driver, can opener, only when opeoning the flat screwdrivers. I could not open the lanyard loop. Built quality is impressive (especially for me as it is my first proper multi). The nylon sheath is better that you may think. Given the light weight of the Kick I am starting to be tempted by the (very expensive!) clip. I post more impressions when I got to use it more.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 01:15:24 PM
Let me know when you want a clip - I can help you out there!

I used to come here a lot.

Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 03:28:25 PM
Glad you're liking it mate :)

Shoot Dave a pm about the clip as he's got about 400 of them :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 07:16:19 AM
Saw a kick for $179 today!  :o

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 01:32:45 PM

That makes the UK prices seem cheap.  :o
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: July 19, 2008, 01:51:27 PM

Where?

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 06:20:08 AM
A Engraving Slash Key Shop.

I'm going to have the give them the benefit of the doubt and assume some twit just placed any old tool on the shelf after selling a previous tool ($179 is average Core pricing)

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: October 11, 2008, 05:03:42 AM
I got a Kick

Actually, I got two  :D

Cons: (Cons first, because I'm a negative, pessimistic git) - It's bigger and less sweet looking than a PST*, yet has less tools and less of this elusive "fit & finish" we all rave about like only truly obsessed fanatics of an obscure hobby can.

*I'd be even less impressed if I was a Sideclip user and was comparing with that (which would be fair, apples with apples)

I'm not sure how I feel about the sloping handles when closed, and I can't imagine the fact that the handles, when parallel/closed, can slide up and down next to each either is a good thing.

I have the same feeling about the Plier head with spacers as I do about the Core - The older style where the handles come in to meet the pliers seems
A. prettier
B. more practical for getting into areas 'n stuff.

It also seems like the pliers would be better the other way around, with the Flat ground side (a feature of Kicks & Sideclips for those non-leatherman fans out there) on the opposite side of the spacer - as it is currently it seems be eliminating any benefit!

Non-locking: Yeah, well my PST never locked either, so I can't complain (or I can, but people will think I'm a whinging pom!)

and all them spacers, but you've heard that enough times to glaze over and fall asleep.

Pros: It actually seems really sturdy. I think the handles flex less than my PST.

The Can Opener works just as well as the one on my PST to get into my house! (Something the Vic can opener just can't seem to manage)

I think the tools are easier to get out, maybe?

The backspring feels like it might have more tension than the PST, (less chance of that blade doing me a woe when butterfly opening)

I'll withhold judgement on the Zytel inserts for now.
I'm not convinced they actually improve the comfort,

Finally (and this pro is the most subjective of all) while it does not feel like a cheap tool (in comparison to the $20-$40 multis out there), There's certainly nothing special about it, and it doesn't give of an air of great quality, and (maybe it is just me) it seems more commercial and less likely to have personal appeal.

One will be going in to cookie jar for posterity, and one will be going in my Work toolbag (from which things often go missing - my personal toolbag has another PST in it)

So, now you know what I think, you can die happy.

Oh, and the stamp on the Phillips is "D1" for anyone collecting the alphabet.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 05:19:37 AM by Nomad »

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: October 11, 2008, 05:41:58 AM
A Engraving Slash Key Shop.

I'm going to have the give them the benefit of the doubt and assume some twit just placed any old tool on the shelf after selling a previous tool ($179 is average Core pricing)

What country are you in? Over here in the USA you can get a Core for around $59.99 at Walmart.
(

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: October 11, 2008, 05:45:44 AM
What country are you in? Over here in the USA you can get a Core for around $59.99 at Walmart.

On pure Exchange Rate, that'd be around $100 here, plus we have 10%GST, 5% (or more) import levy,
Then the good chum importers add on all freight costs, plus, when you're an exclusive importer & distributor, you can charge what you like.

It's not very profitable to sell Leatherman in Australia, so few people bother, and those that do charge through the roof.

Edit:
Another Kick observation:
s'not fireproof :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:29:39 AM by Nomad »

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: October 11, 2008, 09:46:54 AM
It also seems like the pliers would be better the other way around, with the Flat ground side (a feature of Kicks & Sideclips for those non-leatherman fans out there) on the opposite side of the spacer - as it is currently it seems be eliminating any benefit!

The interesting thing about that is if you shuffle around the stock implements you can:

A.) Reverse the beveled section to face out.
B.) Put in the full-size Blast head with no penalty.

Which now makes me wonder why the Kick head is beveled in the first place.

???

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: October 11, 2008, 09:54:57 AM
makes it go faster?

As far as I can tell, you need to move the "medium" flathead to the outside for it to work, but other than that, no issues.

I'm thinking to sharpen the "small" flathead into an extra long pokey.  :pok:

Well, I just used my Surge & PST to very carefully destroy a knurled pivot :)

One thing I'm asking myself, as I'm sure many have asked before, is over 20 years, what have they improved?

The squarer handles look easier to Fold (or press, however they do it) The Little tabs on the backsprings add some extra "lock" (something first attempted with bent tabs on the Minitool)

Flat drivers are still poorly shaped.

They seem to have taken a side step with the Phillips - it is bulkier and more Man-Sized, but once again at the outside of the handles when deployed.

Zytel - I'll need to handle a Pulse or ST 200 to decide if these are the better handle option.

I'm not convinced the lanyard ring is a work of genius - has anyone broken one of these off?

I guess for whatever reason, the Awl is always the first to go (they dropped it like an ugly girlfriend for the Mini & PST II)

The plier head is beefed up.

In Handling, I think I can detect some more rubustness in the new design (in both Surge & Kick form) compared to my PST - but I've abused my PST horribly, and it has never failed.

Another interesting one (to some)
All four handles in my Kicks have date 0804.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:15:10 AM by Nomad »

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #47 on: October 11, 2008, 11:01:27 AM
The Can Opener works just as well as the one on my PST to get into my house! (Something the Vic can opener just can't seem to manage)

I'm intrigued!?! Do you live in a tin shed? Or a paper house?! :think: :D
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: October 11, 2008, 11:22:59 AM
Do you live in a tin shed?

Hmm.

Now there's an interesting idea.

I'm off to vandalise some nearby farms, toodle-oo.

As for my house - I used to keep a bit of bent coat hanger out the front, but one I day I worked out I could jimmy the latch with the can opener (something to do with the hook shape)

Which is great, because I'm always losing my keys!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: October 11, 2008, 02:43:38 PM
Great review(s) Nomad - Really enjoyed reading that so thanks.

FWIW, I agree with just about all of that - although I have no experience of how fireproof a Kick might be!

I think you might have hit on the truth about the Kick. Whilst it is clearly "functional", I can't help thinking that it's main purpose is to point out to the user that upgrading to a Fuse is a better option.

If I want minimalism, the PST is more compact but still has more tools. If size and weight isn't an issue, then the Fuse has more tools that lock.

Maybe the Kick is simply a way of allowing the masses to appreciate why they should aspire to a Blast, Wave, Charge.

And why not?

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #50 on: October 11, 2008, 03:15:03 PM
Actually, I like the Kick for some different reasons than the Fuse/Blast. It is a bit thinner for one thing. Not as thin as a PST, but they're not on the market anymore... Also, the back-springs seem to be more bullet proof than the locks on the others (unless you soak them in Coke!). And the tool compliment is just right for a small/simple tool. And it's a little less $$.

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: October 19, 2008, 11:23:34 AM
I feel, size notwithstanding, that the Kick (and other new leathermans) are a step up in many ways from the Original Leatherman.

I love the PST, it has class, but some things have clearly upgraded with the times.

Of course, I'd have to get a PST II, Pulse, Fuse, Supertool, Core, & Original Wave to fully develop my theory  ::)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 21, 2017, 12:00:50 PM
Dragging up an old topic by its hair, I admit...

I recently found a Kick in my late dad's vast collection of hand tools - its only representative of the make, or indeed the type (my dad has always preferred well-made single-use hand tools to MTs or SAKs - but then he never owned a backpack).

Question: would any of the Kick owners here say that it is worth asking my mum for permission to add it to my collection?

I must say that I prefer LM's heavier tools and handling the Kick briefly left me with a less than perfectly satisfying experience... I found that many of the reasons mentioned in this thread and in the Forum article on the Kick/Fuse/Blast series apply, and I can agree with those who report on a general feeling of flimsiness. The pliers head looks OK (indeed it sports the cams intended on other models to lock the blades closed, so it was clearly meant for larger tools) but the handles don't look as if they can accommodate the pliers being used to their full potential, apart from the lack of ergonomics and the non-locking, sometimes seemingly PST-vintage tools fitted with room to spare and shimmed somewhat randomly. It gives a feeling of a low-end spin-off introduced by LM as an afterthought or to use up old tools stock...

Thanks in advance for any new insights!

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:04:15 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: August 21, 2017, 06:22:53 PM
To answer your question of whether you should ask mum to add this to your collection?  I say yes.  The tool was bought by your dad for some reason.  You say he preferred well made single use hand tool so this tool caught his eye for some reason.  That alone is preserving. 

Now related to your question, is this tool up to the work it was intended for?  Something to that extent.  I say yes.  The phillips is a nice tool as well as the blade.  I find those pliers more than satisfactory for their size.  I blunted mine and hove found them quite nice to use.  I certainly wouldn't suggest you do the same with dads tool.  The tool is basic yes, its always seemed PST-ish to me but no less useful.  Keeping in mind you have heavier duty LM then this tool can serve as a memory of dad when using in its capacity or just to store away and retire it.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 03:43:27 PM
You make some very thoughtful points there Aloha. I'll consider them.
In addition, further important practical considerations include the almost incredibly low weight and, at least in some countries, legal aspects such as the blades not being positively lockable (might be important for trips to the British Isles - I hear the authorities don't like locking blades there) and not OHO (which at least in theory is frowned upon in e.g. Denmark, although my recent trip taught me that OHO tools are for sale there. I have read somewhere in the forum that Leatherman have sold special non-OHO versions of a few of their normally OHO MTs in Denmark, but these no longer appear to be available).

If I do give in to my impulse to claim the Kick, is there anything to watch out for during practical use especially of the pliers (assuming only limited use and some trepidation in applying larger forces)?

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: August 22, 2017, 04:20:59 PM
Like many LM models with the right tools the Kick can become blade free.  We have a member ( Loki ) who sells the tools to take apart LM with the knurled screws.  Not sure if thats an option for you but its doable. 

As to the pliers, they are certainly capable of day to day chores.  The bipass wire cutters would be the only thing I'd make sure not to exceed since they can be damaged.  This goes for any wire cutters tho on most MTs.  I've used my Kick prior to blunting a lot and have never found them to be lacking or uncomfortable.  I can't always say that about my PSTs.  I would generally grab my Kick after work to have in my pocket while at home.  The more time I had with my Kick the more respect I gained from it.  The Zytel is comfortable in my hands when applying pressure to hold or firmly turn screws.  I have had each of the series of LM tool with Zytel and have found them all comfortable in my hands.  I think the Kick is such a simple tool that it tends to get overlooked.  There are so many more options out there for those that want a MT the simple Kick gets, Kicked to the curb.  There is a pocket clip that can be attached to the Kick which makes for another option to carry.  Not sure how easy that will be to obtain but its available out there somewhere. 

Back to the pliers, there have been reported issues but I don't recall any with the pliers.  In the application you will be using the Kick I don't foresee a problem.  I have a Newish Kick un blunted and was handling it while I was typing this.  I was also handling a PST because to me the Kick is comparable even tho its has less tools.  I think the Kick is a good tool.  It has the basics,  Pliers, blade, 2 flat drivers, phillips, and can opener.  I think the biggest downside of the Kick has always been the load out.  Lastly, we've seen bigger tools with broken pliers.   We've seen issues on the range of MTs members have.  In everyday use knowing the limits of the tool I believe the Kick will be more than adequate.     

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69742.msg1411610.html#msg1411610

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58083.0.html

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,18918.0.html
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 04:40:27 PM
I really like the Kick.  It was my first full size Leatherman and I appreciate its light weight, comfy grip and skinny form.  It's not as robust as a Wave - the plier heads are basically the same, except for the the angled side, but the thinner material used for the frame doesn't inspire confidence.  I've added a Wave mini bit driver and scissors to one of mine, along with a pocket clip, and it makes for a very useful light weight tool.  Non-locking blade is a bonus for UK carry too, though I wish the other tools locked.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #57 on: August 23, 2017, 10:18:46 PM
I really like the Kick.  It was my first full size Leatherman and I appreciate its light weight, comfy grip and skinny form.  It's not as robust as a Wave - the plier heads are basically the same, except for the the angled side, but the thinner material used for the frame doesn't inspire confidence.  I've added a Wave mini bit driver and scissors to one of mine, along with a pocket clip, and it makes for a very useful light weight tool.  Non-locking blade is a bonus for UK carry too, though I wish the other tools locked.

I had a Kick which I made knifeless. It served me very well indeed, but I decided to sell it after a few years. I figured if I'm going to have a knifeless multitool, I might as well get a locking one. I now have several knifeless locking tools  :whistle: I replaced the innards on my knifeless Wave with the drivers from the Zytel series, so it's somewhat like a Kick with 4 external tools  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD