Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fishing Multi Tool?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Fishing Multi Tool?
Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 09:08:28 PM
Wait, I'm confused. Why does Zoid carry a screwdriver salt fishing?

It is not a screwdriver.  ;)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #31 on: January 11, 2015, 09:08:39 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

I know the bail-less penn  706z reels always need adjusting. They are absolute tanks though, they are loud, ugly, heavy, and simple. But the only maitenece we've ever done was tighten the bail screw and replace the drag washers once every 5 years

I'm bad, all I do is oil slightly :rofl: Though I have had to fully disassemble a few second hand reels to get them straightened out.
Same here. My freshwater reels almost never get oiled. Especially the Shimano Stradics. They are built sealed so I'm not worried about them

The Salsmurfer reels are a WHOLE different ball game. I'd say the drags get done pretty often, but oiling and greasing is a monthly chore. Salsmurfer eats stainless like it's rebar

Just had me a bowl of rebar this morning :D I feel you though, I have a basic Penn Fierce as I don't get out there very much, probably 5 times a year. But you have me ready to go oil it now.

My freshwater is a Shimano Sahara, my first higher quality reel, and I love it.
I've always wanted a Sahara for a travel reel.

All my freshwater spinning reels are the Shimano Stradic CI4+ models.

They are 275 a peice, just way to much to trust everyone when your camping or leaving in a truck bed!

I've never owned a fierce penn either, all the salsmurfer rods are either 550s, spinfisher  Vs, or the original 706z and 704s.

Unless we head out on the boat, in which case it's Penn Internationals and Senators

Heck, rounding up 275 for much of anything would be very hard for me, but I spread myself thin with hobbies :D. My bike was the most I've ever spent on myself, fishing is more of my wind-down at the end of the day. Gimme an Ugly Stik and any half decent spinning reel and you won't hear a complaint out of me. Bikes are a different story, unfortunately due to my size and riding style, cheaper parts tend not to live long lives under my command.
That's one thing I've never got into, biking!

For me it's the opposite. I'm always battling myself too.

"I spent 275 bucks on a reel, I can't destroy it"

But on the other hand "it costs so much because it's built to handle abuse"

I guess bikes kinda HAVE to be used though

Sadly they're about my only gear that get's used to their fullest  :ahhh I'm already on my third set of wheels since I got it last November!

I'm just glad I didn't spend a ton on my fly setup, I would be a bit miffed by now. Your fishing season also tends to last a bit longer than mine too lol
All year :D

Winter is flounder season, which brings the option of fishing them, gigging them, or Bowfishing them!

Spring hits and the water hits 67° and the Cobia are here. EVERY boat has a ladder or tuna tower on it sight fishing for cobia.

Late spring and the pelagics move in, Spanish mackerel, king mackerel, grouper and amberjack follow the baits and red snapper back into shallower water.

Summer time and the bait balks get here and everything goes nuts. All kinds of fish all the time. And that's why we live here.

Late summer and fall are flounder, trout, and Redfish as the bait moves into grass flats.

And winter sends the pelagics further west where they follow the Yucatan, and cross back over to Cuba and Key west Florida.

It's one giant counter clockwise migration that florida gets the best of!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 09:09:43 PM

Oh yeah, totally forgot this wasn't a useless ramblings thread... oopssss :D What is it? I can't really make it out on my phone.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 09:10:51 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

I know the bail-less penn  706z reels always need adjusting. They are absolute tanks though, they are loud, ugly, heavy, and simple. But the only maitenece we've ever done was tighten the bail screw and replace the drag washers once every 5 years

I'm bad, all I do is oil slightly :rofl: Though I have had to fully disassemble a few second hand reels to get them straightened out.
Same here. My freshwater reels almost never get oiled. Especially the Shimano Stradics. They are built sealed so I'm not worried about them

The Salsmurfer reels are a WHOLE different ball game. I'd say the drags get done pretty often, but oiling and greasing is a monthly chore. Salsmurfer eats stainless like it's rebar

Just had me a bowl of rebar this morning :D I feel you though, I have a basic Penn Fierce as I don't get out there very much, probably 5 times a year. But you have me ready to go oil it now.

They are 275 a peice, just way to much to trust everyone when your camping or leaving in a truck bed!

I've never owned a fierce penn either, all the salsmurfer rods are either 550s, spinfisher  Vs, or the original 706z and 704s.

Unless we head out on the boat, in which case it's Penn Internationals and Senators

Heck, rounding up 275 for much of anything would be very hard for me, but I spread myself thin with hobbies :D. My bike was the most I've ever spent on myself, fishing is more of my wind-down at the end of the day. Gimme an Ugly Stik and any half decent spinning reel and you won't hear a complaint out of me. Bikes are a different story, unfortunately due to my size and riding style, cheaper parts tend not to live long lives under my command.

Sadly they're about my only gear that get's used to their fullest  :ahhh I'm already on my third set of wheels since I got it last November!

I'm just glad I didn't spend a ton on my fly setup, I would be a bit miffed by now. Your fishing season also tends to last a bit longer than mine too lol

Winter is flounder season, which brings the option of fishing them, gigging them, or Bowfishing them!

Spring hits and the water hits 67° and the Cobia are here. EVERY boat has a ladder or tuna tower on it sight fishing for cobia.

Late spring and the pelagics move in, Spanish mackerel, king mackerel, grouper and amberjack follow the baits and red snapper back into shallower water.

Summer time and the bait balks get here and everything goes nuts. All kinds of fish all the time. And that's why we live here.

Late summer and fall are flounder, trout, and Redfish as the bait moves into grass flats.

And winter sends the pelagics further west where they follow the Yucatan, and cross back over to Cuba and Key west Florida.

Okay, if I lived there my priorities might be shifted as well :o

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 09:17:05 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

Okay, if I lived there my priorities might be shifted as well :o
Yeah but there is still plenty of Bikers here as well.

Eglin Air force Base is the largest military base in the nation land mass wise. (Something like that)

And they have trails for hikers and bikers.

The Florida Scenic Nature Trail also runs East and West about 20 minutes north of me...

I've thought about joining some clubs but I think I'd much rather hike. I miss the days of backpacking with scouts.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: January 11, 2015, 09:21:14 PM

Oh yeah, totally forgot this wasn't a useless ramblings thread... oopssss :D What is it? I can't really make it out on my phone.

Fish Continuum Transfunctioner.  ;)

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 09:40:55 PM

This is why we can't have nice things :facepalm:, why do you have fishing rods, aren't you supposed to catch stuff with those big claws?

I never got to be part of the Scouts, it wasn't a big thing around here unfortunately, my version of training was wandering in the woods all summer for ten years of my childhood.....

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 10:43:18 AM

This is why we can't have nice things :facepalm:, why do you have fishing rods, aren't you supposed to catch stuff with those big claws?

I never got to be part of the Scouts, it wasn't a big thing around here unfortunately, my version of training was wandering in the woods all summer for ten years of my childhood.....

I believe it's a spike to kill fish?
darren

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: January 12, 2015, 12:36:09 PM

Correct.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #39 on: January 12, 2015, 04:13:01 PM
Lanyard that anchor. This is what I do.

Nice Lanyard Zoidberg. What are the names of the knots you used please. I'd like to try that myself.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 12, 2015, 06:04:55 PM

Correct.

No teeth zoid?

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 05:23:23 AM
I am a lm guy all day long, but for fishing I love the gerber flik fish. The one handed use is perfect and the long pliers really get in tight mouth for deep hooks.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 07:41:17 AM
If anyone is worried about smufing up an expensive MT there is a cheap "homage" to Gerber (ie copy/sort-of-clone) fishing MT sold with long, flicky needlenose pliers.  Most commonly sold with a Winchester label, but I have also seen them with a Renegade label.  They look like they are made in the same Chinese factory as the Carolina Tools "Gerber-alike" MT.

Here's some examples (NB no connection with sellers, cannot vouch for them, do your own research etc etc):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231452715557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371223088934
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:49:08 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 08:30:21 AM
If anyone is worried about smufing up an expensive MT there is a cheap "homage" to Gerber (ie copy/sort-of-clone) fishing MT sold with long, flicky needlenose pliers.  Most commonly sold with a Winchester label, but I have also seen them with a Renegade label.  They look like they are made in the same Chinese factory as the Carolina Tools "Gerber-alike" MT.

Here's some examples (NB no connection with sellers, cannot vouch for them, do your own research etc etc):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231452715557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371223088934

That Phillips looks mint! :rofl: thanks for posting though, it really wouldn't be a bad idea to have one like that. Does anyone here have any Carolina tools?

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 09:25:35 AM
Yeah I don't think I'll be buying one of those.
darren

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: January 18, 2015, 05:54:12 PM
Have you thought about a real Gerber?  In the past they've done quite a few fishing versions of various MTs.  Things like the Flik Fisherman as seen here, but also fishing versions of the MP600 and MP400.  Not sure how easy any of them are to find these days though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #46 on: January 18, 2015, 06:28:13 PM
Have you thought about a real Gerber?  In the past they've done quite a few fishing versions of various MTs.  Things like the Flik Fisherman as seen here, but also fishing versions of the MP600 and MP400.  Not sure how easy any of them are to find these days though.
We had used a MP600 on the boat. Not suggested whatsoever. As soon as salsmurfer hit the OHT slides.....she was done....

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: January 18, 2015, 06:31:39 PM
We had used a MP600 on the boat. Not suggested whatsoever. As soon as salsmurfer hit the OHT slides.....she was done....

Ah, yes, I can see that being a bit of a problem. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #48 on: January 18, 2015, 06:40:49 PM

Ah, yes, I can see that being a bit of a problem. :-\
I think it might be okay if you could soak them in T9 BioShield or Even Corrosion Block.

I'm also kinda picky when fishing...I need needle nose but I need regular pliers as well. Most times, dehooking means twisting the hook, and needle nose don't necissarily provide a good twisting grip.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 19, 2015, 12:38:40 AM
I did look at the gerber flik fisherman variants, I like the look of them but for the price and rarity I can't justify wrecking it in the salt water. My Sidekick with wingman scissors seems to be doing the job pretty well for now.
darren

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 19, 2015, 01:42:25 AM

I keep a vic 58mm on my neck lanyard. The scizzors are invaluable for dealing with 6 lb line.

I clean either with an Opinel #8 Stainless or a 91mm Vic Huntsman as the saw is a better descaler than my 91mm Vic fisherman.  My fisherman will never touch fish

I remove the hook with long needlenose pilers

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 08:16:13 AM
Lanyard that anchor. This is what I do.

Nice Lanyard Zoidberg. What are the names of the knots you used please. I'd like to try that myself.  :salute:

Hey mate, really sorry I didn't see your question earlier.
I think the top one is the snake, right is the surgeon's loop or double overhand and down the bottom is the rattlesnake.
The rattlesnake was half done in reverse to house the ends and give clean loops.

ca Offline jstroke

Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 09:27:39 PM

I think it might be okay if you could soak them in T9 BioShield or Even Corrosion Block.

Thats the stuff you want :tu: Boeshield T-9 metal protectant and lubricant. Been using it on vintage classic fly reels circa 1906-1912, Hardy Bro's lead finish reels with great results.

Jim

Oh yeah, always carry a lm wave and a hemostat when on the river.
Daddy's  50th reel.jpeg
* Daddy's 50th reel.jpeg (Filesize: 157.15 KB)
I fish....because the voices in my head tell me to .

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #53 on: February 16, 2015, 01:49:22 AM
That stuff is hard to find down here!!

There is one place that carries it and it's 23.99 for one spray can.
And of course; Yamaha Recomends you soak their Waverunner engine in it after every use........

We used to buy it monthly. Until Home Depot started Selling corrosion block in gallon cans

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 03:01:27 PM

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 02, 2015, 09:38:49 AM
Nice one!  :tu:
darren

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #56 on: March 22, 2015, 01:17:21 AM
I think the main reason I want an OHT is just so I can hold a fish in one hand; and open anything with the other.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 22, 2015, 01:42:45 AM
I think the main reason I want an OHT is just so I can hold a fish in one hand; and open anything with the other.

SOG Blacktip or you're just a quitter!!! :pok: :pok:

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #58 on: March 22, 2015, 04:13:28 PM
I wish it was made in an Alox.  It would be easier to keep clean.

Victorinox Deluxe Angler

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Deluxe+Angler

WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

00 Offline cool123

Reply #59 on: March 23, 2015, 06:19:48 AM
I carry a Gerber Evo multitool essential for my outdoors.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%