Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Difference in quality between Leatherman MOLLE sheaths

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Difference in quality between Leatherman MOLLE sheaths
on: November 21, 2014, 01:41:10 AM
When I got myself a Leatherman MUT a couple of years ago, I was really impressed by the big MOLLE sheath it came in.  I had heared some negative things about the Leatherman MOLLE sheaths in some reviews on youtube, and I couldn't understand what was wrong with this type of sheath because I liked mine a lot. 

A couple of months later, I got myself a BO ST300, with the small black version of the Leatherman MOLLE sheath, and again I really liked this sheath.  Today I got my BO Rebar, again with the small black MOLLE sheath, and now I'm beginning to understand the negative comments on the Leatherman MOLLE sheaths.  This new one feels completely different compared to my "older" Leatherman MOLLE sheats. 

Here are some pics of both versions:

The new one is on the left, the old one on the right.

The fabric on the new one feels a lot thinner and cheaper, and you can feel how it's just two layers poorly stitched together.

Again, new one on the left, old one on the right:

The velcro patch feels a lot cheaper, and on one side there's even a 5mm loose edge sticking out over the side of the pouch. 

The new one is on top on this next pic:

The edge of the pouch (where you put the tool in the pouch) is made with some fake leather/plastic edge, which feels very cheap and looks like it's going to "crack" in no time, while on the older sheath this looks to be almost the same fabric as the rest of the sheath, just folded double and stitched, and nicely shaped

I have not yet used this new sheath since I only got it today, but at first sight, it sure looks like it's way lower quality than the older ones.

Not a good way to cut costs Leatherman ...  :pok:

I've been thinking about buying myself a OHT these last couple of days, but knowing that it comes with the "new" type of MOLLE sheath, I don't know if I'm going to get me one.  And before anyone here has a chance to say it, I know I should get myself a Skinth, but the biggest problem with those is that I just know that when I get myself one, I will want another one a bit bigger, and another one a bit smaller, and maybe one in a different colour, and maybe a bigger and a smaller one in that different colour, and ...  :ahhh

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Difference in quality between Leatherman MOLLE sheaths
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:51:08 AM
I wanted to like the older molle sheaths but they just didn't work for me.

The newer ones seem worst.

I really wish Leatherman would step it up and put out some decent sheaths.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:52:49 AM
Great pics and write up! :tu:  I too have heard about the lack of quality in the molle sheaths, but only having the one from my MUT, I found it a bit hard to believe. 
That one is a high quality sheath, and I can't really see it costing all that much more to make compared to the new smaller ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:54:18 AM
Similar thoughts here, with just one correction. The one you call "old" is actually the new one. Old one came with the logo only and no embroided text.

So for once a new LM product is better that the previous version.

As for the OHT, you have 2 options there, standard China-made 4" Molle sheath (like the one you already have) or the US-made 4" Molle sheath. These are mid-size ones, not XL, so the same size of the sheaths you posted above. US-made one is recognizable by the small tab sporting a US flag, installed close to the bottom of the sheath. This one adds about $10-20 extra to the tool cost, over the Chinese made one. However, the US-made sheath is even worse that the Chinese one, in this case. I have both and can attest to that. It's flimsy, poorly stitched, made of paper-thin webbing and way too wide for the OHT. So much so that I don't use it anymore.

My advice to you would be to skip the US-made sheath and go with the Chinese...then upgrade later if you don't find it fit for your OHT.
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:58:41 AM
Great pics and write up! :tu:  I too have heard about the lack of quality in the molle sheaths, but only having the one from my MUT, I found it a bit hard to believe. 
That one is a high quality sheath, and I can't really see it costing all that much more to make compared to the new smaller ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LM XL Molle sheaths are top stuff. And I tried many, believe me.

The reason they cost more than smaller 4" ones from LM is the material quality and thickness, 3 extra pockets, flexible side straps (elastic) for two extra tools/bits etc. Plus it's much bigger overall.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:22:11 AM
Similar thoughts here, with just one correction. The one you call "old" is actually the new one. Old one came with the logo only and no embroided text.

So for once a new LM product is better that the previous version.

As for the OHT, you have 2 options there, standard China-made 4" Molle sheath (like the one you already have) or the US-made 4" Molle sheath. These are mid-size ones, not XL, so the same size of the sheaths you posted above. US-made one is recognizable by the small tab sporting a US flag, installed close to the bottom of the sheath. This one adds about $10-20 extra to the tool cost, over the Chinese made one. However, the US-made sheath is even worse that the Chinese one, in this case. I have both and can attest to that. It's flimsy, poorly stitched, made of paper-thin webbing and way too wide for the OHT. So much so that I don't use it anymore.

My advice to you would be to skip the US-made sheath and go with the Chinese...then upgrade later if you don't find it fit for your OHT.

That's weird, because the one with the logo and the embroided text came with my BO ST300, which I bought about two years ago, that's why I thought the one that came with my BO Rebar today (so also the one I see with the OHT at the local shops) was the new one ...

I doubt that we will ever have the option to buy the U.S. made sheath over here, and since you say that one is even worse than the Chinese one, this wouldn't help.  Best thing to do would be to buy a Skinth, or order myself one of the XL Leatherman MOLLE sheaths (these are still available in online shops in the Netherlands, so quite easy to get my hands on), and I really like the one that came with my MUT, that MOLLE sheath is just awesome.

So, I guess my options are:

- Buying a OHT with Chinese sheath and replacing it with a Skinth over time.
- Buying a OHT with Chinese sheath and replacing it with an XL Leatherman MOLLE sheath (the one from my MUT is awesome).
- Not buying a OHT ...

:think:

Like I said, not a good way to cut production costs from Leatherman, I would rather pay a bit more (and over here we already pay "a bit" ... ahum ... more), to have a quality sheath that will last for a long time, and that will hold my tool safe so I don't have to worry about losing it.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 02:27:49 AM
Definitely get yourself the OHT if funds permit, of course. You won't regret it, believe me. I was sitting on the fence for a long time before deciding to order BO one. And boy was I pleasantly surprised :)

As for the 4" molle sheaths, I don't believe there's such a thing as old or new, my 2009 BO Wave came in the molle sheath with small rivet, the logo at the bottom and without the text at the top. My S/S Rebar came 3 months ago in the sheath with large rivet, logo at the bottom and text at the top. Go figure.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 02:40:52 AM
So it looks as if Leatherman maybe has two different manufacturers for their sheaths, and it's just a matter of being lucky/unlucky which one you get ...

I know there's even a difference in the latest leather sheath that comes with the Wave and the bigger version for the ST300.  The one I have for the ST300 is way better than the one I have for the Wave in my view.  The one for the Wave was already turning brown after one day of using it, and the snap closure opened by itself a couple of times (while getting in or out a car for example), while the one for the ST300 shows no signs of wear after using it for a month, and the snap closure on that one is way more firm.  And once again, the "leather" also feels different.

And about the OHT, I'm going to the local outdoor shop tomorrow to have another peek at it (again ...  ::)).

;)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 08:59:04 AM
I just bought this unused Molle for $6 and just realized I have a lower quality sheath. Oh, well.

Now I know what to avoid the next time

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 01:31:53 PM
Qick and easy, just watch out for ones with the plasticky rim. Those have paper-thin fabric with plastic coating on the inside. They will get ripped in no time. When I sold a few LM tools, I got rid of most of them in my collection as well. Not just fabric, recent LM leather sheaths are inferior as well. They use some sort of bonded/ coated leather or something. which is separated in "layers" if you happen to buy old ones, even NIB. LM should learn from SOG, and offer sheaths in full grain leather.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 01:56:54 PM
Qick and easy, just watch out for ones with the plasticky rim. Those have paper-thin fabric with plastic coating on the inside. They will get ripped in no time. When I sold a few LM tools, I got rid of most of them in my collection as well. Not just fabric, recent LM leather sheaths are inferior as well. They use some sort of bonded/ coated leather or something. which is separated in "layers" if you happen to buy old ones, even NIB. LM should learn from SOG, and offer sheaths in full grain leather.
Thanks, chrono! I bought mine online from a private seller and didn't know the difference. Next time I'll avoid this particular Molle. It does feel flimsy and won't last long

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 04:55:41 PM

SOG's leather sheaths are a step above!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 09:50:21 PM
I was just about to update the other Leatherman sheath thread with pictures of these same sheaths!

USA left, China right.

USA

China

The quality on the Chinese made ones are pretty awful, especially in comparison with the USA made ones.  They are just as bad as the cheap sheaths you get with the crappy China made tools at Wal Mart.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 03:09:49 PM
No doubt about it, I bought a China molle sheath. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 05:48:42 AM
LM is sourcing stuff to China now? It looks like a counterfeit lol

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 01:14:26 PM
This thread I'd several years old and I have had that sheath for a few years, so yeah.  They've been sourcing them from China for a whole.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 02:22:16 PM
The lesser quality ones wear out pretty quickly as well :facepalm: mine has a couple holes in the bottom that I have slowed down with a piece of fabric (one was the grommet that fell out and the other has just come about on its own :( ) :bnghd: I one of the better quality ones now (thanks again Ben :tu: ) I will begin using it and see how it fairs after this one has fallen apart ::) probably won't be long gentlemen :D

fr Offline lovecraft25

Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 05:06:40 PM
As of today, how hard/easy is it to find the sheath with large grommet and lettering ?... Was it available in tan or just black ?...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 06:01:43 PM
As of today, how hard/easy is it to find the sheath with large grommet and lettering ?... Was it available in tan or just black ?...

My guess is that it's going to be hard to get your hands on the U.S. made molle sheaths (I only found one, and that one came with my BO ST300 years ago, since then, all the Molle sheaths I got were the "made in China" ones ...

And I've never seen these ones in tan, but maybe someone else has.

The safest way to get a U.S. made Leatherman Mole is to buy the bigger sheath, the Molle XL (for Surge, MUT, ST300, ...).  These come in black and tan and are very well made (at least the ones I got, don't know if they changed these to cheaper versions as well since I bought my last one). 

Either way, might be worth checking out.

fr Offline lovecraft25

Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 10:52:20 PM
Is that an assumed fact or a verified fact, that the molle sheath with the big grommet and the Leatherman lettering is "made in USA" ?... Like a sticker saying so ?... After all, we have have "made in China" and "made in Mexico" stickers in other sheaths.

I thought the only "USA Molle sheath" was the XL one with the american flag label sewed (Berry compliant) :

...then I also saw this one (seems to be the regular "large" one, but also Berry compliant) : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kVFbz6a9mEU

Any thought ?...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 01:12:10 AM
I'm not sure about the good sheaths being U.S. made.  I didn't re-read the entire topic and just went from Grants' statement in post nr. 12.

I'll Check my collection tomorrow, since I always take the black “made in ..." stickers out of the sheaths and stick them on the inside of the original tool box. So if there was such a sticker in one or both of those sheaths, I would still have it.

I'll check tomorrow.

fr Offline lovecraft25

Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 06:54:32 AM
Mhhh according to this video, the large grommet and lettering sheath is "made in China" :

https://youtu.be/ecWieUKyDhQ

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 07:44:01 AM
When buying the molle sheaths, buy the one for the MUT (with wrench slot in back and thicker material) and not the st300/OHT sheath. The MUT sheath seems like it is made to mil-spec, while the 300/OHT versions seem like something made in a toy factory with little regard to longevity.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 10:44:48 AM
When buying the molle sheaths, buy the one for the MUT (with wrench slot in back and thicker material) and not the st300/OHT sheath. The MUT sheath seems like it is made to mil-spec, while the 300/OHT versions seem like something made in a toy factory with little regard to longevity.

This is true for the current Molle sheaths that come with these tools, but the one I got (years ago) with my BO ST300 is build with the same (or very close to) quality as the MUT sheath.  I own two of those XL sheaths, the tan one that came with my MUT and a black one I bought for my BO Surge (after I was so impressed by the MUT sheath).

Maybe they are all made in China, but in different factories. 

Anyway, it's not the first time that two sheaths that should be the same are actually very different. I remember the Leatherman Premium Sheaths (the ones half leather, half nylon) I got with a Wave and a ST300.  The one from the Wave was brilliant, very sturdy, lots of heavy duty nylon on the sides, even the small pouches on the side for led light or bit driver were made out of this nylon, and it was a nice tight fit for the Wave.  While the one that came with my ST300 was just utter cr*p, all thin stretchy nylon on the sides, small pouches made of the same stretchy nylon, and the ST300 could just pop out of the closed sheath because of the stretchy sides ...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 03:58:56 PM
 :iagree:

For a while, last year, there was a seller on ebay that had the older style (quality) premium Wave(also fit the kick, fuse, blast, rev, wingman, and sidekick) and premium Surge/OHT/ST300 sheaths selling three for $20. I bought 9(one pocket and leather wrap around on the other side) mediums(for my kick, fuse, blast, rebar, wave, rev, wingman and sidekick - then gave one to a friend) and six large(double pocket) sheaths(ss surge, bo/ss surge, core, st300, OHT, and a spare) and was glad to see they were the older style with better construction. I ordered another batch earlier this year and found the newer "3 for $20" to be a disappointment. Wish I had bought more when I got the first ones. :ahhh
I hate the basic nylon (two pocket) that they ship with most tools and try to spend a few extra bucks to get the box leather sheaths when possible. They aren't as good as the OG leather box sheaths, but they are much better than the flimsy(swinging off the belt) two-pocket nylon and nylon pancake sheaths. :)

/end rant.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

fr Offline lovecraft25

Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 09:46:40 PM
 :worthless:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 10:54:30 PM
:worthless:

Euh ...  :think:

There are pics off all types of Molle sheaths in this topic already if I'm not mistaken ...  :pok:

;)

fr Offline lovecraft25

Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 12:32:39 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was refering to the sheaths gerleatherberman bought ;-)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 02:23:32 AM
No problem, lovecraft. :cheers:

Here are some pics of the ones that don't have a tool stuck in right now.

LM still has these styles, but they are very thin at the weight bearing points.

20181019_191748-1.jpeg
* 20181019_191748-1.jpeg (Filesize: 110.82 KB)
20181019_191814-1.jpeg
* 20181019_191814-1.jpeg (Filesize: 123.17 KB)
20181019_191822-1.jpeg
* 20181019_191822-1.jpeg (Filesize: 116.58 KB)

fr Offline lovecraft25

Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 10:13:51 AM
Thank you gerleatherberman. I have the "Premium Sheath" for the Surge. It's made in China, average quality. Are today the only "made in USA"  sheaths then "Heritage" ones ?...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%