Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Country specific Multitool and Knife etc. shopping threads

dks · 37 · 29529

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Continuing my organising efforts I collected the various City/Country shopping guides, for multitools and knives,  that have been posted during the past few years.

From my experience it is difficult to find country specific information on these topics and some cities/areas/countries offer very little opportunities for, unusual, knife and multitool shopping.

I post this in the General thread as it has both knives and Multitools.

Where there were two or more, the 1st guide/link in the list will be the older one.
These are guides, not Laws or other official documents and countries/shops change with time.
Please post any that I have missed. I am sure there were some regarding Switzerland and possibly the UK and USA..

General European cities guide/suggestions
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,48739.0.html

London
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,49793.0.html

Lisbon
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,55113.0.html

Budapest
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,31251.0.html
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,49789.0.html

Munich
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,49898.0.html

Berlin
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,49899.0.html

Prague
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,49269.0.html

Vienna
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45080.0.html
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,49175.0.html

Salzburg
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,49175.0.html

Kiev
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,40493.0.html

Seoul
http://forum.multitool.or...ex.php/topic,54098.0.html
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:25:42 PM by enki_ck »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Country specific Multitool and Knife etc. shopping threads
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 07:07:35 PM
Glad someone took the effort to search for them all. :hatsoff:

I've been postponing it hoping someone else would do the job. :whistle:

I'll sticky it in a few days. You know no one will read it after it's a sticky. No one ready the stickies. :facepalm:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:24:41 PM
We have been discussing putting these all together for a few years and finally I decided to do it!

I am sure there may be more shopping threads like this hidden in the forum, waiting for someone to find them.....
What I, sadly, realised was that most of the links to older threads, from other threads, linked to specific posts, rather than the actual whole thread and they did not seem to work anymore..  does this make sense.. ?  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:34:01 PM
Sadly, yes. We used to use a mod called PrettyURLs that while making the thread links look pretty, also doubled up the size of our cache and database and caused the forum to crash a few times. And after we removed it in a forum update, all the links that were posted in the time we were using it got broken. I'll fix the important ones if I can find them.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:41:54 PM
You're great at this! Thanks!
This is so helpful.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 04:46:32 AM

I'll sticky it in a few days. You know no one will read it after it's a sticky. No one ready the stickies. :facepalm:

:D  Thanks for sticking this up, always do like to see this happen.

dks, thanks for the effort putting it together :cheers:, I had one drafted but never did finish writing the complete thread.  I still have a few cities/countries pictures ready, but didn't get around to write them up.  :facepalm:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 07:20:48 AM
Lets hope that we get more guides as well as updates of the existing ones, so that this thread stays "fresh".

With the current economic climate shops open and close very quickly.
I also expect that several Wenger shops will dissapear soon, as the Wengers are no longer produced under that name.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Update with pictures for the Vienna guides:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45080.0.html

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 11:41:42 PM
Here's an update for the Lisbon guide.

A. Coutada, on Pc da Figueira, is no longer in business.

The Victorinox store at the Vasco da Gama shopping center is also apparently no longer there. A hotel clerk was unable to find any listing for it.

Did find a hunting shop that had a number of Victorinox displayed in the window. Didn't go in as it was closed for two weeks. It's located on Pc Dom Joao Camara, near the Rossio railway station.

Had the best luck at Laventura at R. Trindade Coelho 40, in Porto.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 07:06:47 AM
Coloswiss I added your post to the Lisbon guide. :salute: I will sent them an email, to see if they have just moved elsewhere.(maybe I will ask one of the Portuguese members to do that)

It is a shame as they were decent shops, that were easy to find. There was another shop near Coutada, but this was a lot more speSmurfpillsed.

What I do notice, from the various updates, is that many of these proper shops are slowly closing down, leaving us with online shopping as the only option.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 02:57:29 AM
Hope the info is of use to someone.   :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

ca Offline JP

Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 10:26:46 PM
I am not sure if this is the correct thread to post in:

Canada

New ruling on Importation on Flippers.

The way I read it is that this will be more for people crossing the border with pocket knives on them. Make sure that the Agent can't open them with a wrist flick.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn18-01-eng.html

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 07:18:58 PM
http://knifenews.com/changing-danish-knife-laws-make-life-easier-for-custom-makers/

Denmark going a little more lenient on knives...

This article isn't that new, but I wonder about all those knife people in all those countries of Europe, each with her own laws, and her own ways of policing with those laws. I have friends who collect knives--and carry--technically against their own national laws. The same in Israel. I know our police, and getting searched is rare for the vast majority.

But how is it in Europe, given all those lock blade enthusiasts?  Collecting knives just to look at them around the flat?  How to go camping or hiking with an appropriate knife when you leave the city on bus or train?

I don't advocate anyone breaking any laws. Just curious because so many Europeans love lock blade knives, and own knives of 10cm or more.   

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:11 PM
ISRAEL
Penal law section 186, subsection B.

A folding knife, with no locking mechanism (or any other way of turning it into a fixed blade), and with a blade no longer then 10 cm, is classified as an “Olar” (pocket knife), and is legal to carry.

Self-defense is not acceptable. The 10cm limit is about 4 inches, so we have a really good selection of legal backspring knives, compared to those countries that only allow 3.5 inches or less. All those beautiful 111mm Victorinox knives can have their locking mechanism removed, and thus be 100% legal.   Leatherman and other multi tools are de facto acceptable, though the Surge main blade is locking, and is quite the beast. As in many countries, even legal knives are not permitted in schools, government buildings, and even a shopping mall or pub may not let you enter with even a small knife.

Knives are widely and publicly sold in outdoors/camping and other stores, including knives illegal in almost all circumstances, save inside the home. Collecting is legal. A small but fair selection of Victorinox knives and most all current multi tools are available at chains like Rikushet and LeMetayal, and even a gift emporium called Gentleman. My local shopping centre gives me three stores to browse. Some have knives covered and may or may not show you them. I have a copy of my ID on file and a statement of being a hobbyist collector and wood-worker. If a neighbour is ever found dead with a dozen Vic Classic SDs sticking out, I suppose I'll get a visit.     

(I often carry a blue scaled Vic 111mm, side lock removed. It doesn't look much like a weapon, especially with the long bright garrish signal orange braided lanyard attached.) 

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 11:35:58 PM
I am headed to Toronto soon.  Any Canadian MTO members with recommendations on good places to trawl for SAKs?  I already know I want to stop by a Hudson's Bay and pick up a Spartan LE. 

Thanks!

Myron

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 12:52:38 AM
I am headed to Toronto soon.  Any Canadian MTO members with recommendations on good places to trawl for SAKs?  I already know I want to stop by a Hudson's Bay and pick up a Spartan LE. 

Thanks!

Myron

I didn't have time to explore any antique or thrift stores while in Toronto, but I did find that you can get a good selection of new VSAKs at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC)  on King Street and also at the Casablanca Tobacconist (multiple locations throughout downtown).  And of course don't forget to pick up a Hudson's Bay Spartan while there too.  :)

Myron

Offline Conny

• New User
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 10:06:16 AM
Thanks!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

au Offline Valkie

Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 10:28:08 PM
Australian knife laws are becoming so draconian as to be farcical.

Carrying a knife in Australia, irrespective of the fact that the largest percentage of the population would never use one for injurious behavior, is considered illegal.
The premise is that you are guilty of a crime, without ever considering the crime.
We have no bill of rights and our grubberment refuse to consider one as it may give the population some ability to fight injustice.

As stated and enforced
“A person must not, without reasonable excuse (proof of which lies on the person), have in his or her custody a knife in a public place or a school.”   

This means that carrying any form of blade is illegal anywhere at any time.

The "reasonable excuse" (proof of which lies on the person) is so open to interpretation as to be worthless.
Draconian penalties apply for carrying even a tiny victornox knife on you car keys.

And it does not stop there.
I was stopped from boarding a plane because in my bag was a "DANGERIOUS WEAPON"
I was astounded to find that my WEAPON was in fact a small folding tool that had no blade at all.
I had the choice of throwing my tool in a bin provided (and I have seen security rummage through said bin and collect all manner of toys for their own use) or not entering the flight.
Instead, I walked back to my car and put it in my car and then walked back to the security. The plane could not leave as I was booked in, so I was in no hurry.

I have also seen an old man harassed and threatened by security staff for carrying a DANGERIOUS WEAPON which was a nail cutter of quite diminutive proportions (less than an inch long)

The laws are indisputably intrusive.
They can search your car and if a tool or weapon is found in the car its the same as if you were carrying it on your person.

The DANGERIOUS WEAPON I was carrying?
see below.
20201201_080540.jpg
* 20201201_080540.jpg (Filesize: 246.08 KB)
20201201_080404.jpg
* 20201201_080404.jpg (Filesize: 347.36 KB)
20201201_080352.jpg
* 20201201_080352.jpg (Filesize: 299.26 KB)
tools is what defines us as humans

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 11:13:23 AM
I think there used to be some dedicated threads for knife legislation that will be easier to search if someone is interested in that. I remember one for the UK at least.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 11:24:31 AM
I think there used to be some dedicated threads for knife legislation that will be easier to search if someone is interested in that. I remember one for the UK at least.

I agree.
Regulations and legislation varies from country to country, sometimes even writhing countries.

Ignorance of the law is deemed no excuse, and one can find oneself in serious trouble for an innocent oversight.

Clarification of laws dependent on country, even to the point of examples woukd be very advantageous for those travelling and wishing to carry.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #23 on: December 28, 2020, 02:11:43 AM

Carrying a knife in Australia, irrespective of the fact that the largest percentage of the population would never use one for injurious behavior, is considered illegal.
The premise is that you are guilty of a crime, without ever considering the crime.
We have no bill of rights and our grubberment refuse to consider one as it may give the population some ability to fight injustice.

Well that's heartbreaking, Valkie. I spent 4 months in Victoria from 1997-98. You better believe I carried a knife around with me everywhere I went. I showed it to people in public, too. (of course I also shot turtles in a farm dam (pond) with a rifle while I was there).  I love Australia, and have many friends from there, and who are still there now. My heart breaks for your country and all the freedoms lost.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

au Offline Valkie

Reply #24 on: December 28, 2020, 03:02:00 AM
Well that's heartbreaking, Valkie. I spent 4 months in Victoria from 1997-98. You better believe I carried a knife around with me everywhere I went. I showed it to people in public, too. (of course I also shot turtles in a farm dam (pond) with a rifle while I was there).  I love Australia, and have many friends from there, and who are still there now. My heart breaks for your country and all the freedoms lost.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Australia is a spectacular country.
Many beautiful places to visit.
Beaches of rare beauty and isolation.
Places to see that have rarely been visited and which will blow your mind.

On the whole, most Australians are friendly, accommodating and ready to help anyone
The beer is cold, the pies are hot.
The real Hamburgers come with beetroot not mayo.
The weather varies tremendously
Damn hot upward of 40 deg c
But rarely below freezing.
What we call rain, many country calls storms.
What we call storms frighten visitors, but they generally don't last long and the floodwaters receded pretty quick.
We get hailstones the size of baseballs from time to time.

The only real problem we have is our grubberment.
If all our politicians pooled their IQs together
They might just get into double digits.

But if you get the chance, after this virus thing.
Please come, I don't know anyone who has not had a great time here.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 28, 2020, 05:01:50 AM
Yes, I long to go back.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

ca Offline Altis

Reply #26 on: December 28, 2020, 08:13:15 AM

As stated and enforced
This means that carrying any form of blade is illegal anywhere at any time.

It's quite absurd, really, isn't it?

It's not much better in Canada (for now, though I'm sure they'll be right on it). The laws are so unclear that even customs doesn't seem to know what to allow through or not -- let alone what people can carry and where.

Pretty much if you are deemed to be or admit to carrying a knife (or anything, really, doesn't have to be a knife) for the purpose of self-defense or any reason other than as a tool, you will be charged for carrying a weapon.

Further to that, there are many criteria that automatically classify things as weapons, such as switchblades. But the laws are exceptionally unclear and the court cases that are used for precedence are even less clear... they go into not only if the person carrying is somehow able to open one-handed, but whether somebody out there could, etc... It's a mess.

Fortunately, it does seem to be clear enough that typical multitools are tools and are generally permitted -- again, unless you state outright or are deemed to be carrying for defensive purposes.

As soon as you get into folding knives, though... it's actually very unclear. Having one out in the woods or on a work site is more appropriate than walking around town at night. All we know is that local stores do sell knives that could be considered 'prohibited weapons', and knives that are perfectly legal get stopped at the border from being shipped in.  :dunno:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 28, 2020, 03:08:09 PM
The world has gone nuts.

I have some very very deep-seated opinions about some of these things, but rather than be super-extra controversial, I'll shut up.

:whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:

au Offline Valkie

Reply #28 on: December 28, 2020, 10:16:58 PM
It's quite absurd, really, isn't it?

It's not much better in Canada (for now, though I'm sure they'll be right on it). The laws are so unclear that even customs doesn't seem to know what to allow through or not -- let alone what people can carry and where.

Pretty much if you are deemed to be or admit to carrying a knife (or anything, really, doesn't have to be a knife) for the purpose of self-defense or any reason other than as a tool, you will be charged for carrying a weapon.

Further to that, there are many criteria that automatically classify things as weapons, such as switchblades. But the laws are exceptionally unclear and the court cases that are used for precedence are even less clear... they go into not only if the person carrying is somehow able to open one-handed, but whether somebody out there could, etc... It's a mess.

Fortunately, it does seem to be clear enough that typical multitools are tools and are generally permitted -- again, unless you state outright or are deemed to be carrying for defensive purposes.

As soon as you get into folding knives, though... it's actually very unclear. Having one out in the woods or on a work site is more appropriate than walking around town at night. All we know is that local stores do sell knives that could be considered 'prohibited weapons', and knives that are perfectly legal get stopped at the border from being shipped in.  :dunno:

The thing that annoys me the most is the extensions included.

Having a knife in the car, not even on the person is illegal.

So how does that go for tools in the back you ask?

I believe that you have to have a reason to have them.

I have been questioned by police for carting some martial arts weapons in my back seat.
I was dressed in my Gi at the time and on my way to training.

Its ludicrious and an invasion of privacy.

We had a gentleman on his way to a childrens hospital for charity work arrested.
He was wearing a Dead Pool outfit with obviously fake swords.
But the cops still arrested him and releasing him soon after.

This is the stupidity of draconian laws

ca Offline Altis

Reply #29 on: December 28, 2020, 10:31:07 PM
The thing that annoys me the most is the extensions included.

Having a knife in the car, not even on the person is illegal.

So how does that go for tools in the back you ask?

I believe that you have to have a reason to have them.

I have been questioned by police for carting some martial arts weapons in my back seat.
I was dressed in my Gi at the time and on my way to training.

Its ludicrious and an invasion of privacy.

We had a gentleman on his way to a childrens hospital for charity work arrested.
He was wearing a Dead Pool outfit with obviously fake swords.
But the cops still arrested him and releasing him soon after.

This is the stupidity of draconian laws

Yeah, that's wild. Good to know though as I'll probably be travelling to Australia in the next couple of years as I have some family that lives there. In fact, I just gifted a Victorinox Manager to one of them -- hopefully they can carry the little thing. If not, it's great for travelling abroad.

It's all very confusing indeed, except that it never seems to actually go after violent criminals but perfectly peaceful, law-abiding people who just want some handy tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%