Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Country specific Multitool and Knife etc. shopping threads

dks · 37 · 29934

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Country specific Multitool and Knife etc. shopping threads
Reply #30 on: December 29, 2020, 01:17:29 AM
Just a reminder to all about our politics policy   :pok:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #31 on: December 29, 2020, 02:22:17 AM
Just a reminder to all about our politics policy   :pok:

:angel:  :D  :angel:
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #32 on: December 29, 2020, 06:28:54 PM
Yeah, that's wild. Good to know though as I'll probably be travelling to Australia in the next couple of years as I have some family that lives there. In fact, I just gifted a Victorinox Manager to one of them -- hopefully they can carry the little thing. If not, it's great for travelling abroad.

It's all very confusing indeed, except that it never seems to actually go after violent criminals but perfectly peaceful, law-abiding people who just want some handy tools.

Be aware that sometimes Oz airport security checks are very thorough at picking up whatever you have on you (some of the x-ray checkers have eagle eyes, ask me how I know ....).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline Valkie

Reply #33 on: December 29, 2020, 10:10:43 PM
I had to go through the xray machine 4 times because my Palm pilot pen had fallen out and lodged itself in the bottom of my briefcase.

I had no idea what the problem was and when they found it I was stupefied.

The cops generally dont stop you and check you without reason......most times.

But if you are involved in any sort of trouble or even back answer a cop, they will search you.

On the whole though, there is not much to worry about.

Airports are very particular though, there is no wiggle room for error, and virtually nothing is allowed...even some nail clippers or nail files.

The stupid thing......You are given metal knives and forks with which to eat in business class?????????????

tools is what defines us as humans

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #34 on: November 18, 2022, 01:25:22 PM
I will post two quick shopping guides, based on me recent shopping experience.

I see no need to start separate threads and hope this thread stays on topic:

Windhoek, Namibia:
In general, not many shops selling knives or multittols that I could find easily (searched online and had a look in some malls).  You can probably find something in organised safari accommodation or outdoor type shops somewhere.
I could not find any local knives or makers, in the city, easily.

I found one shop, selling some South African knives and the usual lower end knives. The shop was Safariland Holtz in the city centre, in Gustav Voigts Centre, next to Avani hotel. The staff was not especially knowledgeable or helpful, trying first to claim that an Okapi knife was Namibian, when I asked for local knives, then trying to impress me by flicking it open and closed several times. They do have an OK selection, if you are close by
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #35 on: November 18, 2022, 01:38:04 PM
Sarajevo Bosnia and Herzegovina.

In the old city centre I saw nothing interesting.

There is, however good availability and selection of Victorinox, Opinel and Swiza in Malls (BBI Cente, first floor, had some nice displays)
Also, for those wanting something more tactical, in the basement of the SCC  City Centre Mall, next to the Swisshotel, there is a shop selling the usual fixed, tactical blades.
Out of Malls, I saw the ALP outdoor shop that sells some branded multitools and Victorinox.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: June 02, 2023, 07:41:40 AM
Tajikistan

The area has a long tradition in producing fixed blades, with nice engraving. Even similar knives sold in other countries in the region may be actually made by Tajiks.

They are functional, hand made and feel good in the hand. Decent ones start at about 10 Euro and the prices go up, depending mainly on the handle (plastic, wood, bone, stag/horn), the engraving, the size and the sheath. They are however, from a functional and construction point of view, the same knives.
Whereas most of the knife making happens outside the capital the safest and easiest, for most, place to shop is the capital.

Based on the information I got the knives are made using railroad track's steel.

I will suggest two shops that are easy to get to and have a nice variety.

-For a smaller variety, there is a souvenir shop on the 2nd floor of the main indoor market. Ask for a discount, and you should get about 10% off easily. (you HAVE to pay in local currency, by law)

- Noor Art gallery, has a handicraft shop in Hayat hotel, 1st floor. (being in a hotel they will accept other currencies too, and credit cards). They also have a shop in town, for more variety. 
Here is a link to their website : http://noorartgallery.com/product-category/knives/     Expect to get 10%, easily.

There are also other online shops and possibly in towns and villages.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%