Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Keychain tool?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What Keychain tool?
on: September 02, 2006, 06:56:55 PM
What tool is on your keychain?  I usually carry the SwissTech MicroTech tool, but lately I have been alternating between the Gerber Solstice (cause it's the newest one!) and my usual favorite, the Leatherman Micra.  I am trying out the scissor tools although I usually like the little pliers.
What is everyone else carrying?
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: What Keychain tool?
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 07:03:49 PM
;D I carry a Victorinox Manager. It has served me well and I use it often. Since I always have a Spirit on my belt, between the 2 I can build a bridge or open a letter.
T

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 07:25:46 PM
Micra all the wayyou can lose them and replace them almost as cheaply as Classics on ebay
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 07:50:40 PM
I have the leatherman micra on mine. I carried the swisstech microtech tool sometimes. But my wife kept asking me for "that thingy with the nail file"
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 07:57:29 PM
I think that a good nail file is extremely important on a keychain tool, be it multi or SAK.  One of my pet peeves is gunk under my nails, or a jagged nail that catches things.  Some folks might think me a little less than manly for paying attention to those things, but it really gets to me.  It's ok if I am working on something and getting dirty, but when I am done and moving on to something else, hands and nails gotta be clean, you know?
So far, I think the best nail file I have used is on Wenger knives- not just the keychain ones, but also on some of the bigger models.  The Micra is pretty darned good too- a close second really.  It's probably also the most used part of a keychain multi for me.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 08:08:48 PM
Well lately its been a red S4 Squirt that I have on my keychain..along with a Photon II.........but I sorta miss the old Esquire because of weight issues,,,,,,,,,,,may have to go back.

Kap
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 08:19:22 PM
My keychain lately has had more tools than keys on it!

I really like the Squirt models though.  I don't have any at the moment, but I do have the old Radio Shack tool, which I have been lead to believe was the front runner to the Squirts.  Anyone know if that's true or not?
Def

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 08:25:43 PM
If its the E-4 Squirt from Radio SHack it came after the S4 and P4 squirts and was a Radio Shack exclusive in the U.S. up until a year or so ago.
Radio Shack in Canada(which are all gone now)never did list the tool.

Kap
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 08:32:32 PM
It's a great little tool.  I have never heard it called anything but the "Radio Shack Leatherman" so I don't know if it's the e-4 or not.  Was there more than the one model released?  I figured it was exclusive to RS in the US- as we recently found out with the Circuit City buyout of them, Radio Shack in Canada and the US are, and always were different entities.  Plus we never get the cool stuff up here!  I had to get mine from NYC!
Here is a pic of mine.
Def

* Rad02.JPG (Filesize: 18.73 KB)

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 09:11:52 PM
Def, Yup its the E4 now available from any Leatherman dealer, same price as the S4 and P4

Kap

Also available in Blue and Grey.........its the only Squirt not available in Pink.....LOL
I

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 12:51:03 PM
Carry the Micra, dude.  I used to carry the Leatherman P4 because I liked the little pliers too.  However, I realized I needed scissors more then I needed a pair of mini pliers.  Plus, the Squirt just seemed a tad bit TOO small.  The Micra isn't TOO much bigger, but it's just enough to feel substantial.  Plus it's a pretty sturdy tool, and like Fred said, it's pretty friggin affordable, so if you lose one, just get another one. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 02:08:24 PM
Here's the RS Leatherman/Squirt E4 and a Micra for comparison.  As you can see, my Micra has seen a fair bit of mileage!

I'd like to see a larger set of multi scissors available though.  The Gerber Solstice scissors seem to be somewhat heavier duty than the Micra ones, but are also a bit shorter.  I'd like to see a nice set of scissors, similar to kitchen or shop shears, maybe in the Juice size.

I don't much carry the E4 because electricity and I have never really gotten along and I don't often feel the need to strip wire on the fly like that.  Other than being a neat, tiny set of pliers, it really doesn't have much use for me.
Def

* Rad06.JPG (Filesize: 32.49 KB)

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 10:39:31 PM
a full sized multi with scissors?that would be awesome
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline inkster

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 05:00:58 AM
I been carrying a Vic. rambler for a while, but I want to start using this gerber solstice I got today.

Thank you Brother   I love it

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 11:37:48 AM
No problem.  Glad you like it.
Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 05:23:55 AM
I always carry a Rambler, but I'm gonna have to try the Solstice after reading the review.
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 05:58:17 AM
Does anyone else carry a light on their keychain? I have a Doug Ritter special edition Photon Freedom and it gets used as much as my LM micra.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 11:47:02 AM
I have a Streamlight handcuff key/LED light on my keys, but that's about it.  I usually carry a larger LED light too, like my Inova X5, Victorinox AA, Peak light or something similar in my pocket when I walk the dog at night.
I have about a hundred and fifty keys on my keychain so I don't want the extra weight of a flashlight there too!
Def

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 05:47:06 PM
Does anyone else carry a light on their keychain? I have a Doug Ritter special edition Photon Freedom and it gets used as much as my LM micra.

I carry Vic's new Microlight on my keychain. It is lightweight and very bright.
T

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 06:25:22 PM
My wife and I both have the Photon II for years on our keychains and as of yet never replaced the batteries!!!

Kap
I

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 07:50:10 PM
I've never been one for having a lot of stuff on my keychain.  Lately though, I've been carrying a Maglite Solitaire that's been modified to run a LED.  It fits nice on my keychain and doesn't feel weird in my pocket.

I keep thinking about getting one of those Photon lights... but I already carry the Solitaire and a Nuwaii QIII.  Don't know if I'd ever use the Photon.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 09:10:08 PM
Thanks for the info about the Leatherman E4, if they are being sold by all dealers they should come over here to the UK  :D

I have a normal Photon Freedom on my keyring and I find that I use it more than the tools on there.  Which BTW is only a Swiss  Tech utilikey at the moment.
E

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 09:38:16 PM
Check with Felinevet... he can likely get anything you need at a better price than anyone else can.
Def

Offline shecky

Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 01:41:19 AM
Lately it's this:

Half Victorinox combo tool, half Vaughn Mini-Tool. I call it the Combo-Bar! Opens cans, bottles, drives screws, even large Phillips, and prys.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 08:34:12 AM
I've never been one for having a lot of stuff on my keychain.  Lately though, I've been carrying a Maglite Solitaire that's been modified to run a LED.  It fits nice on my keychain and doesn't feel weird in my pocket.

I keep thinking about getting one of those Photon lights... but I already carry the Solitaire and a Nuwaii QIII.  Don't know if I'd ever use the Photon.
I think the Photon Feedom Lights are great.  I don't know about all of them. But mine has three different light settings, three different blinking settings, and a SOS blinking setting.  I don't if anyone can read SOS anymore?
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 11:56:27 AM
Dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot

:P
Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 07:03:06 PM
Dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot

:P
Def
Thank you.  I feel safer already :)
"

Offline Sharpdogs

Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 04:37:58 PM
My mini multi-tool, a Leatherman P4 Squirt resides in the pocket of my mission wallet, so there's no multi-tool on my keychain.  I do have a bunch of other stuff on there.

- Photon Freedom
- Small Spy Capsule with emergency $20
- Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper tweezers
- 12 feet of paracord

I will be adding one of these

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=3&products_id=108

I barely have room for keys.
w

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 01:54:22 AM
Here's an old SAKtivity shot of my keys...

You can see my Streamlight Cuff Lite, my custom scaled redheart Rambler and my SwissTech Multitech.  I don't go swimming with my keys, that's for sure!

Def
Rambler.JPG
* Rambler.JPG (Filesize: 39.6 KB)

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 03:18:57 AM
My keys along with Victorinox Microlight, Manager and Bison Capsule.
Keys.jpg
* Keys.jpg (Filesize: 65.39 KB)
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56