Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got a Stationery Fetish?! Show us your pens.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Got a Stationery Fetish?! Show us your pens.
Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 12:34:33 AM
They do look like fun though :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:33 AM
OK back on track I have always wanted a Spyderco BaliYo , a Balisong pen  8) :gimme: :D

Given the trouble I had getting my Fischer Space bullet pen through customs, I am not sure I want the grief  :think: :think: ::)

You are probably on their "watch" list now.    >:(

Maybe get it sent to a neighbour/relative/friend who doesn't usually get packages from overseas (try to fly below the radar) ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 09:25:16 AM
OK back on track I have always wanted a Spyderco BaliYo , a Balisong pen  8) :gimme: :D

Given the trouble I had getting my Fischer Space bullet pen through customs, I am not sure I want the grief  :think: :think: ::)

You are probably on their "watch" list now.    >:(

Maybe get it sent to a neighbour/relative/friend who doesn't usually get packages from overseas (try to fly below the radar) ?

Yep  :( :( , funny thing parcels with just MTs, do not get opened for inspection just the ones with folding knives  :think: :think: , those x-ray machines must be pretty bloody accurate  ::) ::)

I think a lot of Aussies are feeling Customs 'love'  :think: :think: from what I have read at Australian Blade Forums , so I think the risk is there for everyone  :think: :think:. Not that you would read too many guys saying 'Wow look what I just snuck in ...'  :think: :D

Greg sneaky thoughts/plans have been considered  ::) :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:28 AM
Yep  :( :( , funny thing parcels with just MTs, do not get opened for inspection just the ones with folding knives  :think: :think: , those x-ray machines must be pretty bloody accurate  ::) ::)

I think a lot of Aussies are feeling Customs 'love'  :think: :think: from what I have read at Australian Blade Forums , so I think the risk is there for everyone  :think: :think:. Not that you would read too many guys saying 'Wow look what I just snuck in ...'  :think: :D

Just might work :think: :think: :think:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 07:55:53 PM
What about taking things apart and shipping them separately?

I know all the customs folks aren't complete numbnuts, but it might be possible to sneak more stuff past them in separate packages.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 04:24:39 AM
Nope apparently knife parts 'can' be seized , not sure how many disassembled knives get through but I suspect like gun parts they would get a lot of attention maybe more than a standard folding knife  :think: :think:   

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 11:59:32 PM
Arsehats >:(

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 02:32:58 AM
Pens, huh?  Challenge accepted.

From left to right:

Expandable Pens:
Space-Tec by Diplomat (copy of the Fisher Space Pen)
La Swiss Expandable (actually collapses smaller than either the Zebra or Space-Tec)
Zebra Telescopic w/ Fisher multifunction refill

Ballpoints:
Zebra F-301
Parker Jotter
Fisher Cap-O-Matic

Rollerballs:
Faber-Castell Basic Series Aluminum
Rotring Freeway
Wooden Roller w/ Brushed Steel
Carbon Fibre Roller

Fountain Pens:
Saxo
Selectum/Daiso Mini
Platinum Riviere
Hero 3180.

That goofy little Hero fountain pen on the end is actually my favourite of the whole lot.  0.38MM tip, writes incredibly smooth.  Cost me $2.56 off of Aliexpress, including a pretty good converter and tracked shipping from China to Canada.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 07:07:30 PM
Very nice jekostas 8)
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 09:59:28 PM
Lovely - thank you for sharing those :D

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 04:29:04 AM

Another sneaky thought - tape it very closely to a larger MT with lots of metal so it looks like an ordinary MT to the X-ray machine ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 02:20:18 PM
Well I got another pen this week - Tombow Zoom 101 Ballpoint. Promptly replaced the blue ink with a Schmidt Superbowl P8900 black rollerball (don't know how I coped before I found these Parker style replacements).

New go to pen I think... unbelievably light carbon fibre and non-fatiguing in the hand for long periods of writing. Feels good, mechanism wreaks of quality, and I doubt it will be letting me down any time soon :D

Zebra (shown for scale) is a little shorter and a lot heavier!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:11 PM
As an academic, writing is my living, and I've gone through various stages of stationary obsession.  I've had several very nice and expensive pens, multiple point models, Japanese made ones, German made ones, custom made, and so on.  As time has gone on and I've gotten older and more experienced at my craft, practicality has won out over style and expense, and I don't own so much as a single custom or expensive writing implement anymore.  I know that sounds strange for someone like me, but given the rate at which I go through writing implements, it's much easier and cheaper for me to use mass produced writing utensils.

My favorite pen is the Uni-ball "Signo" fine point.  Nice bold gel ink that writes like a ball point, but none of the mess that goes with it.  In the past I've avoided gel pens either because they didn't have a fine enough point, or the ink was too prone to smudging and smearing.  I used fine ball points for a long time too, but they tend to develop this little glob of ink on the side of the stylus as you write with them, which was not only annoying, but wasteful, and they don't look or write nearly as nicely as a gel does.  The Signos have all the advantages of both types, ball and gel, and none of the disadvantages of either.  They honestly are the best pens I've ever used.  I buy the red ones by the box... I use them for grading and typically go through about one a month. 

I also prefer mechanical pencils to regular wooden pencils, and the ones I like best are the PaperMate PhD ones.  They have a full size eraser that twists out of the top of the pencil, and they're large enough you don't have to constantly change them.  I hate mech-pencils that have those tiny little erasers that aren't good for much more than erasing a period at the end of a sentence.  The PhD's also have a large lead chamber, that can hold an entire refill box of 12 spare leads with no problem.  The ergos on them are excellent too, and I've had a lot less hand fatigue issues since I found and started using them.  I use pencil for all my reading tasks now; note taking, underlining, writing notes in the margins of books and journals, and so on.  It's a lot easier to erase things and it doesn't look as awful as a high-lighter, and I only need one utensil for such work. 

Chrissy, you might want to check out this place:  www.jetpens.com as they have the best selection of writing utensils, notebooks, pen/pencil carriers and cases that I've seen online.  They have several very cool and nicely designed Japanese products that work very well.  I've gotten good service from them, and bought a few cases/carriers from them which are all very well made and nicely designed, and very functional.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 11:22:23 PM
I have a borderline obsession with writing implements. Last summer my wife and I visited
the Faber-Castell museum in Stein. http://www.cultpens.com/ is where I usually shop
what I can't get locally.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 12:46:01 AM
Yeah, Jetpens is not good for EU shipping sadly... actually a good thing because I would have been buying the Nomadic pencil cases like they were going out of fashion :D
Thanks for the link though Heinz, I use the cultpens one or ebay usually :)

Really enjoyed your post too, and I agree that sometimes the simple and more affordable designs are the best :tu:

Most of my pens are old or cost a few pounds - only recently bought that fancy Ti thing, and I play with it more than write with it. It's very aesthetically pleasing. I think lots of us have multitools like that!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 06:12:37 AM
Cultpens is out of the UK, so they should have pretty reasonable(ish) shipping for the EU, and they have many of the same items of Jetpens.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 09:19:53 AM
I'd like a nice expensive pen, a pen that turns into a PDA stylus by lamy but the amount of pens I loosey any see the point in buying anything other then the cheap ones
I

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 03, 2018, 08:14:31 PM
Thread Necro!! :ahhh

I just stumbled upon a flea market find of about 3 years ago.

I got interested in some higher end pens (just a fase I went through just before refinding my love for SAKs)

I saw it at a stand and asked for the price.
€2? Sure... no big loss if it turns out to be junk.

When I got home I found out I had a Fend/Super Norma mechanical 4 colour pencil... yes... pencil, not ballpoint, in my hands.

Some online research made me find out that Fend was a German manufacturer who made ballpoints and mechanical pencils of extremely high quality! They weren't cheap at the time.
It also turned out that finding one in broken condition is a rare find since they date from the 60's.

Mine didn't work properly... untill I dropped some oil in the button rails! :ahhh
It works like it just left the factory.
It even has spare leads in the compartiment!

It even came with it's original box! :dd:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #48 on: October 03, 2018, 08:17:31 PM
Wow!  :o
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62