Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Extremely Long Swiss Champ XLT Review!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
The Extremely Long Swiss Champ XLT Review!
on: July 12, 2008, 03:17:18 AM

The Victorinox SwissChamp XLT; lets start with the numbers.

91mm long (3.5 inches).

42.5mm wide (1 and 7/8 inches).

28mm thick (1 and 1/8 inches).

255 grams (9 ounces).

30 implements.
     5 removeable implements.
     9 screwdrivers.
     4 blades.

And a wide variety of other implements that add up to 50 listed functions and multitudes more field expedient uses that are limited only by your ingenuity. At first glance this Swiss Army Knife (heretofore known as a SAK) appears to be a parody of a useful pocket tool. It's wide, bulbous and hefty. Too thick to be comfortably carried in the pocket and conspicuously wide on the belt in it's sheath it leaves one wondering what exactly they are to do with it.

Functionally; the tool is surprisingly ergonomic and rarely does the overall size affect it's utility. Instead; the width actually aids in the use of the drivers, allowing more leverage in the hand and producing less fatigue when interacting with stubborn fasteners or lengthy use.

To review this SAK would be an easy task. All, save for one, of the implements appear on many different SAKs of varying size and they have been scrutinized by the hobbyist community to a great degree. Instead, when looking at this specific SAK the question is not "How do the implements work?" but instead it is, "How does the tool work as whole?" That is; is the great breadth and scope of the individual tools and their interaction within the chassis as a whole successful?

The implements are pulled, twisted and slid out of the chassis. None of the tools are difficult to extract and each tool is easy to access without interacting with the other tools (except the fine screwdriver and pin). The backsprings are strong and produce an audible *click* on each open and close cycle, one of the attractions of this tool; Quality italicized and capitalized.

The Electrician's blade has a very interesting grind pattern. As labeled above; the first section is similar to a sheepsfoot profile with a V-Grind, the second section has a circular chisel grind for stripping wire. This circular section is typically used to skim along the coating of a wire, making a U-shaped cut down the insulation that can be twisted off the wire and then snipped off. It also works well for cutting into clampacks.

The Spatula. This is the gag implement on the tool. Most everyone who sees it either refers to it as a "coke spoon" (the illicit drug kind) or laughs at it's absurdity. I actually think it's a neat implement. It doesn't belong there at all, so you look at it a few times and think "What the hell am I supposed to do with this? Ice a teeny-tiny cake?" But oddly enough it comes in handy. It's long enough to serve as a probe, poking and prodding things you don't want to touch. The high polish and flared head make it useful as an angle mirror or even just for checking the teeth after lunch.

I love the implementation of the bit driver. You get four bits total in a compact on-board package that features a 90 degree stop for more torque and a location close to the centerline for ergonomics during use.

The tab on the bit holder is designed to keep the bits from falling out when the tool is closed.

The bits feature the typical industry coating that begins flaking off almost immediately during use. When this picture was taken the phillips bit had only been used once and it was already pretty shiny. Now the rest of the bits look the same with minimal use. Not really a bad thing, just of note.

Small pliers and a smaller wire-cutting section. This is one of the few disappointments for me on this SAK. I knew the pliers were small but I didn't expect them to be so small and relatively useless. They can only handle very small bolts and are not up to anything other than light duty work due to the short handles and ergonomic arrangement. However, I will say that the jaws have the finest fit and finish I have ever seen. The jaw cutouts are so dang sharp they can almost cut you, the tips come together so evenly that they work better than the tweezers for pulling splinters.

I did find it interesting that the plier pivot is backwards in relation to the current SwissTools, maybe Victorinox figured light duty implements wouldn't benefit from the reversal.

And the wire cutters are small, like really small. My caliper gives an opening width of 2.5mm and a opening depth of 2mm. I could not actually find any wire around my house to cut with them so I'm not sure how well they work for their intended purpose but I did cut some zip-ties and they handled those just fine.

The awl. It's sharp, it has a sewing eye and it doesn't lock. But that's okay, it's positioned in such a way that it's really hard to get in the way and cut yourself should it accidentally close. The problem with this location is that it requires clearance for the entire width of tool if you want to use it.

The Pin!

The pen, another fun addition that takes no space and adds exponential functionality. I wouldn't want to have to take notes in class all day with this tiny guy but for jotting down quick items (say: a hottie's number at the bar) it works fine. Of course, my condolences if you should ever have to suffer the humiliation of producing an excessively large Swiss Army Knife in public and removing a comically short pen with which to write.

On the Victorinox official site the "Pen" function has a subset that says "also to set DIP-switches."

Now, being the curious sort I set about finding out what that meant. Lo and behold I found out that the DIP switches were actually something I'd worked with before, we just called them "jumpers." Here's the Wiki for a better explanation of what they are.

Interestingly enough I have found out that the tiny magnifying glass works excellently as an aspheric lens for LED flashlights. Also, burning things. Maybe reading the fine print, but probably not; see the "Pen Issue" above.

The phillips driver also locks at the 90 degree mark. It's location on the outer edge of the tool also aids in producing torque when dealing with difficult fasteners.

So, how do you carry this shiny, red, brick? In an ingenious manner, is how I'd answer. It's too wide for side pockets, too heavy for cargo pockets and the sheath costs an extra $15. Which is how I ended up with it inside my pants, using the bit driver as a de facto waist clip. It works surprisingly well when carried like this. Comfortable and easy to get to. The problem is that it is horribly insecure, the back of the bit driver is highly polished and the tool tends to slip up off the pants due to the force of the driver wanting to close all the way. This could be mitigated by adding a small strip of friction tape to the bit driver but I like to live dangerously (and I have a sheath on order.) It's only fallen out once in the two weeks I've been carrying it so it's not that bad, just be aware if you plan to do this.

Other than that the sheath this is really the only option for carry on one's person. I'd say it's best carried in one's bag or by a crazy person in their pants.

Overall?

As my first large SAK I am very impressed. It has the right blend of Gadgetness and Functionality that make it a fun SAK and the awesome fit and finish that make it a joy to use. The unusual variety of implements that one would not normally have access to on a multitool are a nice change of pace. It's a very refreshing item.

Is it any less capable that a full-size multi-tool?

It doesn't really compare, but this is multitool.org so here are the thoughts on that item. No, but it is capable in a different way. The pliers are well-beneath the typical multitool functionality but the wide variety of unusual functions and form factor allow it to be more useful in different circumstances. Overall it makes a good option to a full-size multitool dependent on the user's needs and preferences. It really needs some sort of clip option on the back of the tool though.

Now a story: So the day I get the tool I run home from the mailbox, tear open the shipping carton and start checking it out. No sooner have I begun to really get into it and there is a knock at the door and the sound of keys in the lock as my friend lets herself in. I groan and start to formulate an excuse that allows me to kick her out in a very nice way when she sees the carton and rolls her eyes. "You got another one?" I deftly dodge her question; "Nope, this is a SAK."

She walks past me shaking her head and mutters "God, you're weird."

"I'll only be here a second." She says as she makes noises in the kitchen for a little bit before letting out a loud sigh and asking "Where's your corkscrew?"

I grin and fly into the kitchen; XLT in hand and corkscrew already out of the handle. I explain, trying to sound serious. "This is the only one I have, I'm not that big of a wine guy."

She sighs again and asks "Can I use it?"

What a wonderful question; "Of course you can, but you need to take a picture of me in a minute."

She agrees and goes about opening the wine. I assume while she is doing this she is stifling all manner of compliments on how awesome the SAK is. Which leads to this picture.

Which leads to this picture:

All second-hand tools (which this one is) get a nice vigorous scrub down that leaves them all shiny and beautiful.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: The Extremely Long Swiss Champ XLT Review!
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:21:08 AM
Here are the only useful links I found while doing research before purchasing if anyone wants some additional information.

The Victorinox Page.

SmartKnives' Page.

A post on an Indian Jone BBS with some good pictures.

Youtube Video showing some of the functions.

Offline matt

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 03:26:39 AM
That is an excellent review with great pictures.The xlt is not in my price range but if it was I would buy one in an second.I carry a champion and it really looks sad compared to the xlt.thanks for a great review.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 03:49:19 AM
It's really not in my price range either. The best street price I found was @$160 which was more than I could afford. I got a screaming deal second-hand though, that's the only reason it's actually in my collection.

I wasn't entirely sure it was worth the price until I actually had it in hand and was able to see the tools and fit/finish. If I had too I would buy it again, it's really a nice piece.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 05:31:39 AM
Well worth the wait, Spoon!! :cheers:

I think I may have to buy another one to use now!!! Have you thought about adding an WorkChamp XL to your collection? I started to use it a little and I really like it.. I only wish it had pliers similar to those on the new Wenger Ranger series..
B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 05:42:14 AM
Wow! What a great review! And you really answered my big question which is how does it handle as a whole.  :cheers:

Some of those pictures are simply amazing! That picture of the scissors and scale scraper looks like it is out of a high end magazine ad!

Do you have to know a lot about photography and have an expensive camera, or is this something an ordinary schmuck like me could do?  :P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:46:42 AM by max6166 »
[

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 06:54:40 AM
I already own an XLT and yet after reading your review, I want to go out and buy another!!

Excellent review as usual for you!

Btw, was anybody else more curious about spoon's female friend??

She drops by and opens a bottle of wine?

"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:56:44 AM
Bloody fine review sir :salute:

Great pictures too, I saw Neils XLT at the meet, and there really not as big as you think there gona be :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 01:34:13 PM
Another fine write-up Spoon! If I haven't said so before I really do enjoy these reviews of yours. :)

To me the most interesting feature is the bit driver / bit carrier. This seems like it would be an incredibly useful layer. (I've never seen or handled a SAK so equipped) I hadn't realized that the bits were double ended, and that they have detent balls. Typical Victorinox; maximum quality, maximum usefulness. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 02:18:38 PM
Superb review as always Spoon.  :)

They really are a great SAK.
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 03:07:10 PM
Vey nice review Spoon  :salute: As always you never cease to amaze me with your reviews :D I would love to have 1 of those of well :drool: Probably have to go 2nd hand like you did to get one though :-[ Someday maybe :)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 03:20:49 PM
Spoon great review :salute: I got a Swisschamp yesterday (the XLTs little brother for those who don't know) and am already thinking about how I can incorporate it into my current fololproof EDC setup.

One thing I did notice though, and this might be the same on your XLT, is that the chisel on the back is placed all wrong.  It should have been in the space where the awl is.  If I needed to chisel/scrape something I woulden't be able to get a nice shallow angle due to the thickness of the tool.

What kind of sheath did you order, and from where?
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 03:23:52 PM
I've got a really nice leather sheath for my SwissChamp. It's for 5-8 layer SAKs too. But, I cannot find a link!  ???
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 07:06:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys; this one took quite a bit of work to get done but some polite prompting ( :pok:) helped me finish it.  :cheers:

Have you thought about adding an WorkChamp XL to your collection?

I've been thinking about that one. I like the idea but will probably just go with the regular WorkChamp since it's more practical. Although I'm actually looking at getting the Wenger ToolChest Plus next, see how it compares to the Vic offering.

Do you have to know a lot about photography and have an expensive camera, or is this something an ordinary schmuck like me could do?

I don't know much, my camera is a mid-range point/shoot and it is definitely something an ordinary joe could do. My light-box set-up is a wine case with the sides and top cut-out, sheets over the holes and a 100 Watt bulb hanging over the top hole. You can see it in the background of this picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/redmodels/SOG%20Sheath/P1010020.jpg
I use a cheap Wal-Mart tripod and the automatic settings on the camera; I don't really do any research just kind of read the tips/tricks people post here and have at it until I get something good.

Btw, was anybody else more curious about spoon's female friend??

She drops by and opens a bottle of wine?

We'll do one of these to be coy:  ;). She's a wine salesperson who has very poor planning skills. It was kind of odd to have someone pop in on the way to work to open a bottle of booze. I didn't even get to try it.  :(

One thing I did notice though, and this might be the same on your XLT, is that the chisel on the back is placed all wrong.  It should have been in the space where the awl is.  If I needed to chisel/scrape something I woulden't be able to get a nice shallow angle due to the thickness of the tool.

What kind of sheath did you order, and from where?

I noticed that too. it's workable but not nearly as functional as it should have been. I'd actually like to see the chisel and the hook extended and moved to the front, seems much more useful when you don't have to muscle around the entire tool to use those two implemements. I got the sheath from an eBay seller, but Amazon has it too. It's taking a while to get her but I'll update when it arrives.

Offline kent ct

Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 02:05:55 AM
Another really fine revue with great pictures. You cover all the bases.

Richard

Offline Abstraction

Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 11:38:14 AM
Nice review! It almost persuaded me i needeed one, but then i saw the price  :o  A normal swisschamp is £25, the XLT is £125! I think it may have to wait till i do another order from Tim! 

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 02:26:19 PM
Nice review! It almost persuaded me i needeed one, but then i saw the price  :o  A normal swisschamp is £25, the XLT is £125! I think it may have to wait till i do another order from Tim! 

Wow  :o that's some price difference.  :-\
I'm back!!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 02:46:24 PM

Wow  :o that's some price difference.  :-\

I imagine they're seen as a collectable or something, and the normal swisschamp is on offer as well (£50 reduced to £25) - i *may* have just ordered one on that basis  :P

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 03:14:56 PM
I edc the Swisschamp.  It is a superb SAK.  :)  I'm sure you will be real pleased with it.
I'm back!!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 05:01:27 PM
I've been wanting one for a while so £25 sounded a bargain compared to the £40+ i'd seen them before.  I'm now trying to resist getting a wenger ranger....

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 09:29:47 PM
£125 for an XLT?   Highway robbery!   More like 125 of our rapidly-declining DOLLARS here.

R

Offline Abstraction

Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 10:37:59 PM
Yeah, i'll put an order in from felinevet again soon i think!  Having bought a skeletool and a swisschamp already this month though i think i'll leave that till next month  ;) 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 10:40:20 PM
I had a play with an XLT at the meet (cheers Neil) and one is definetly on the wish list :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 12:39:07 AM
Very nice review.  I own an XLT but I don't carry it.  So it was nice to get an idea as to how well it functions as a tool rather than a collection piece. 

They are a scary price though, I don't think I could justify buying one the normal route. I was lucky enough to get mine via a SOSAK auction last year, it was a good cause and all that, so I just had to  :angel:

Neil

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 12:06:13 PM
This is somewhat old but, since I read it many times it would be appropriate to congratulate the author. I'll also get the opportunity to add my thoughts, since I EDC the knife.
I still believe that, moneywise and maybe ergonomically, the regular Swisschamp is the perfect SAK for most people. But if you are a SAK fan, then you deserve to have the XLT. You earn the feeling of owning something special, you overcome the dilemma "Swisschamp or Cybertool 41" by combining both, plus more, in one package, and you get some additional functionality also.
After 25 years of use my palm receives a very positive sensory input from the Swisschamp but salutes the Swisschamp XLT with pleasure. If your hands are small this may not be the case but for me the size isn't a problem at all. In the seath both SAKs look the same (my Swisschamp seath has the same width). About the weight, well, I carry a lot of weight that is much less useful, so I don't complain. The width is a minor problem for some tools that are way offset at the edges, such as the main blade. It doesn't compromise the utility though, as long as one understands that this is a slipjoint general use blade and not a tactical knife. The most used tools, such as scissors and pliers can be used with the same efficacy a Swisschamp or ST41 has.
I don't carry it in my belt (I used to do this with the Swisschamps a lot but now I always have my cellphone there) but when I use it I temporalily put it in my pocket easily. I can also hang it from my beltloops or from my wrist with an attached lanyard that sports a carabiner. I carry it  in it's leather case and in my bag, together with an OD Victorinox SI case that contains the bit adapter and 6mm bits, Victorinox oil, Victorinox honning stone, Victorinox dual sharpener, a small sewing kit and band aids. Only when I won't carry a bag and wear a suit I'll leave it behind and keep my Harvester and a Minichamp attached to my car's keys. So, most of the time, the XLT is there, ready to serve.
Overall the knife is much more functional, with more and better and more useful tools than the Wenger ToolChest Plus that has similar width.
About the additional tools;
Everybody understands how useful the cybertool driver is. One should have the option for additional bits from Victorinox herself. But there are ways to add some more 4mm bits (or an adapter for 6mm bits that fits the Philips driver of the XLT or any other SAK, as I did).
The Prunner is the sharpest blade known to me. This is my everyday cutting blade now and I liked it so much that I bought a Harvester in order to get a main blade and a prunner in a knife that fits a pocket and has all the tools closer to the centerline.
I don't use the Electrician's blade a lot but, since it is the least sharp blade of all and, perhaps, the most robust,  it is very useful to save the other blades when cutting harder materials. I use it as an X-Acto blade for plastic sheets for example.
The Spatula? I find it very useful. Usually this is my coffee and tea stirrer and I keep it always clean. I'd never want an EDC SAK with electronics because I wash it under running water with soap for dishes and/or add some alcohol or other antibacterial agent. Sometimes I use it for avoiding touching things with my hands. I am an MD and we use a pill crusher at work, so I also have used it as a Pharmaceutical Spatula, although there are dedicated tools for that job.
My XLT has the newer short Philips driver and one piece magnifying lens of lower magnification (greater focal length). I like the driver and find that I use the lens much more that the older grey framed, because it has greater field of view (and I now have some presbyopia I didn't have before). It looks more fragile but nothing is usually fragile on Victorinox SAK's. I expect it to last but we'll see.
The newer metal saw/file seems harder, although I used the Swisschamp's older type to cut effectively a metal tube for a bath curtain, because I hesitated to use my all new XLT. The next task belongs to it though. This is a user, not a display item.
Is something missing? Ofcourse. Nothing is perfect.
I would like to have a nail file. The new file is great for metal but very hard for fingernails. The older file had a fine side that was perfect for fingernails. The Toolchest has a dedicated nailfile, similar to the one the Cadets use and it is perfect (one can find other uses for that, like striking matches, removing paper clips etc, a very functional tool overall). Since I don't see adding another layer as an option, the use of the filed back hook would be welcomed. That file is always accessible and that's a big plus.
There are just a few other tools available with Victorinox SAKs that the XLT doesn't offer. I like the 93mm's awl and sacking needle but I can't see how they could be implemented. Maybe one of the two instead of the pen blade? Having one big and two speSmurfpillsed blades makes the pen blade less needed. Unless they ofer again the clip point small blade, good for piercing stuff.
I'd like a locking main blade, like the one Wengers offer. It will upgrade the knife very much.
Since there is the Bit driver with a flat bit similar to the one on the can opener, one could replace the bottle opener with the combo bottle/can opener and the can opener with another tool. One might skip the Philips and back fine driver (never ever used this) and have 2 places for 2 short tools. That makes a total of 4 different short tools options (instead of pen blade, philips driver, can opener and fine driver). A nailfile would easily get one of the places and maybe a small fine drivers tool (such as on a Leatherman Wave) could get another one. I also always crave for a tool capable of using X-Acto blades. Sharp, cheap and with lots of different geometries, these blades would boost any SAK a lot. A removable fire steel would be a killer also.
Finally, since serrations are useful for some people, one could sacrifice the fish scaler for a rescue blade, or might add a short hunting gutting blade (found in 111mm SAKs) to one of the aforementioned places.
Ofcourse, these suggestions don't mean that the tool isn't excellent. Everybody has the right to dream about his "Perfect SAK" and I just express myself making use of that right. And it is easy to get a centered, one hand opening, locking blade with full or half serrations and selection of clip point or other geometry. Others would get a Spyderco or some other similar knife, I use an Opinel Outdoor #8 that adds a whistle and shackle opener, for 22 euros and I'm OK with that.
Some history: I was finally ready to buy a Champion during 1985, gathering with difficulty around $100 (I was a teenager then and dollar was very expensive for us). I had a Greek- American cousin that served at US Army who could buy it cheaper from the military shop. At the last moment I was thrilled to see a newer and better model, the Swisschamp. I waited a little and had that Swisscamp finally in my hands. When I lost it, the successor had some welcomed improvements, such as the pin and hook. When that was stolen I was teased to buy that XLT for some more improvements (as I was used to do with my computers, cellphones and palmtops) but I retreated because of the more than double price and fears that it would be cumbersome and unusable. Victorinox labeled it as a collector's item and I wanted it for EDC. Finally now I'm very happy that I eventually have it and use it everyday and concluded that it is a highly functional SAK (maybe not for everybody) and a joy to own and play with. Since the XAVT flagship has electronics and is larger than my palm, with doubling of some tools, I'm not tempted to "upgrade" any further and the added functionality permitted me to put my Swisschamp in the drawer without any repentance.
I love it so much, I engraved my sweethert's name on it and I foresee to keep me company for years to come.
Unless Victorinox implements some of my above mentioned ideas for an upgraded XLT. Well, a man can never be as faithful as a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife is. I suppose that I might cheat first, but only for a newer and better Swiss beauty, because my experience is that Victorinox knives will never let me down and will continue to serve for decades, maybe for a lifetime.

PS: Excuse me for all that verbosity, but it is the "The Extremely Long Swiss Champ XLT Review!" after all, isn't it? :climber:
XLT.jpg
* XLT.jpg (Filesize: 50.08 KB)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:56:29 PM by kkokkolis »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 01:39:18 PM
Bloody excellent post - thanks for that :salute:

It is a shame that the nail file isn't offered on the larger knives, I would certainly like one.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:55 PM
Thank you for the review, doctor!  :hatsoff:

I too like the XLT.  I generally carry my CT41, because it really has most everything I use.  I do wish it had a ruler on it somewhere though. (like the fish scaler). 

za Offline Mesbefok

• A cigar a day keeps the doctor away!
Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 03:44:22 PM
I EDC CT41. It has most of the tools that XLT have. I miss the ruler and magnifying glass. But victorinox has a sheath designed with a plastic ruler that includes the magnifying glass as well as a compass and temperature/fahrenheit indicator. This ruler is thin, light and unobtrusive and fits into a separate compartment in the leather sheath which houses my CT41 perfectly.

1. I'm interested to know if the XLT is significantly heavier than the CT41.

2. Is the thickness/width of XLT significantly more than the CT41.

3. How many out there actually use the XLT as an EDC?

4. How many out there would prefer XLT above CT41?

Below a photo of my SAK CT41, pouch and ruler.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 304.46 KB)
BEFOK!!!!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 04:32:32 PM
I can compare with Swisschamp, Cybertool 34 and Toolchest Plus. I don't own a CT41.
As I said, I EDC it and prefer it over any other 4+ layer tool. If you're going to have it big, choose the biggest one you can use. And get something 2-3 layered for your pocket.
I like that compass. It costs 18 euros here and you get bigger compasses for less, not to mentiion the Smartphones with ruler/ compass, spirit level and full weather capabilities. The iOS tool I use, AppBox Pro, has a Sappfire Translucent SAK for an icon (with the letter A instead of the Cross).
But I'm going to get one just for the awesomeness it has and because it pairs with the SAK. I think I can stick one in my SI seath. But I like your seath too.  Can you give me the model number?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:07:24 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 04:46:06 PM
After reading this most excellent review, I want one!  Whilst it is a little wide for carry, sheaths are available for it.  I like the addition of the pruner tool and electrical tool.
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD