Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ultralight Camp Stove

Aloha · 17 · 5101

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Ultralight Camp Stove
on: December 01, 2014, 11:07:59 PM
Many of you have seen this stove.  I've been looking at it for a long while now and decided to get one and see if it meets my needs.   It has gotten some great review and all things considered should prove to be a good inexpensive stove.  I like the Trangia and Esbit stoves as well but I wanted another option. 

Anyone got one of these $6 stoves off Amason or Fleabay? 
IMG_5841.JPG
* IMG_5841.JPG (Filesize: 63.01 KB)
IMG_5842.JPG
* IMG_5842.JPG (Filesize: 79.04 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Ultralight Camp Stove
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:30:11 PM
I've never seen one of those before :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 11:34:53 PM
I've never seen one of those before :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Based off the MSR Pocket Rocket, same fuel, butane and propane mix but no where near the out put of the pocket rocket.

This one has the piezo ignition with some quirks.     
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:36:56 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:18:52 AM
I've got one that is similar and really like it.  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 01:31:41 AM
I've got one that is similar and really like it.  :tu:

Thats great to hear.  I've really look all over the net and the reviews are all pretty much the same, stove is great less expensive alternative to the Pocket Rocket.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:20:26 AM
Fired the stove up and everything looks good.  I let it run on high and fiddled with the adjustment and found no issues,  it also fired right up with the ignition.  So far so good and all works as the reviews stated.  Pretty happy so far.     

IMG_5857.jpg
* IMG_5857.jpg (Filesize: 31.97 KB)
IMG_5855.jpg
* IMG_5855.jpg (Filesize: 132.9 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:50:08 AM
Aloha, that's a good catch.  I have read many good things about this, and with such low cost, really can't beat the price tag.

When I first read the post title, I thought it will be something about Trangia, which I have recent fascination about.  I now have both the Trangia and Tatonka(a stainless version, slightly bigger), am looking forward to get an Evernew Ti stove to see what's the fuss about. 

By the way, if anyone has a Trangia alcohol stove, I highly recommend the Ti stove cross-stand made by Evernew.  It weights virtually nothing, and can firmly support my 0.5L pot with ease, perfect for ultra light camping/hiking.  For not ultra cold(I use it for 0C, and it's still working fine) and windy usage, alcohol stove is really a great option for solo camping, especially if you are just boiling water to rehydrate freeze dried food.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 06:21:26 PM
I also like Trangia/Esbit alcohol stoves.  I'm not ultralight by any stretch I wanted something that would be powerful enough to cook yet still manageable even with fuel.  I also had looked at it so often and just decided to try it out.  I can't see myself spending the money ( tipping point ) on the MSR one.  The value of this one performance/materials/price/satisfaction made this my pick.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 05:15:56 PM
This little stove was a real champ.  At 5000ft above sea level and in mild wind and light scattered showers this stove performed like a champ.  You will be best served if you provide a wind shield but I had no issues.  This little guy lit every time I needed it to.  Its a great feature the ignition even tho I had a lighter and fire rod on me.  My stanley pot fit atop with no issues and when full (20oz) it was stable and heated IMO fast.  I didnt measure time as thats really not a massive concern to me.  I'm never in a rush to have hot water.

I'll be ordering a couple more for sure and at the price I feel its worth having a few even as a gift idea.   

Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 09:15:01 PM
You will be best served if you provide a wind shield but I had no issues.

Hey, Aloha.  Great to hear this little guy is performing like a star.  You probably know this, but just as a friendly reminder, it's genuinely a good practice not to use traditional wind shield around a gas canister stove, since it may warm up the canister fast without warning and may even cause explosion. 

There is specific wind shield made by various manufacturer for their own stoves, but usually they just circle around the stand area to protect the flame from wind.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 10:12:28 PM
Looks like an interesting stove.  I find that in our area at least white gas is difficult to come by in smaller towns.  I have a multi fuel nova stove that will operate on kerosene and a few other things if I'm stuck but ended up going with a trangia as it is easy to find some kind of alcohol for it and it works really well.  Have also make a few coke stoves, cat stoves etc. that operate off alcohol.  It's interesting playing around with them and they work well for heating water (mainly).

John.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 07:39:03 AM
@Comis thank you very much for the warning.  I actually was not aware so thank you for posting this important information. 

@JCS the liquid fuel stove are great.  I watched a great comparison video ( I'll try to find it ) showing the various options for use in these type stoves.  I was somewhat surprised to see the results.  I'll follow up on this and find the video I was looking at.

Edit I found it.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:42:49 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 07:00:54 PM
Typical wind shield for a cannister mounted stove.

I tend to just use my pack to create a wind break.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 07:23:07 AM
Thanks Millhouse that sort of what I was thinking. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 02:34:03 AM
Interesting comparison of alcohols - thanks.  I'm using methyl hydrate - it's not the best and one does not want to get it on your skin but it's about all I can find in my area at the moment.  It does burn clean and fairly hot so I put up with it.

John.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 03:30:27 PM
@Comis thank you very much for the warning.  I actually was not aware so thank you for posting this important information. 

@JCS the liquid fuel stove are great.  I watched a great comparison video ( I'll try to find it ) showing the various options for use in these type stoves.  I was somewhat surprised to see the results.  I'll follow up on this and find the video I was looking at.

Edit I found it.

Aloha,

That's the video I have seen before I did my own test last Nov.

I have tested 91% isopropryl alcohol, yellow heet, crown alcohol stove fuel(from REI), Kleanstrip denatured alcohol(from Ace hardware).

At around 15C, crown fuel and Kleanstrip DA performed similarly, and they are the best for clean burning(all blue flames) with no funny smell.  The 91% Isopropryl was a terrible fuel(almost all yellow flame), it gave a strong chemical smell 1-2 feet away(probably a bad sign for all the additives that's not good for burning), leaves residue, and it didn't even have the same heat output as the other two.

I have repeated the test at around 0C(freezing temp), with both yellow heet and the Crown alcohol fuel.  Crown did slightly better than the yellow heet(a little yellow flame), but both output are somewhat similar.  The boiling time is much longer due to water is cooler and colder surrounding.  It takes around 1.5+ times longer to bring the same amount of water to boil.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 05:44:55 PM
Thanks for the info Comis, I have not seen 91 percent Iso Alcohol and was really curious about the standard Iso as it is far less expensive vs the others and readily available.

My little stove has performed terrific and the piezo ignition has also performed flawless so far.  I was back hiking in the mountains mid 30's F and windy condition.  The stove lit fine but the wind definitely effected the output on medium.  The flame blew about and seemed to struggle and not remain "focused".  I cranked it up and the stove was good but a wind block/screen would benefit this set up.  I don't know how strong the winds were but lets say the trees were sure being rustled. 

I'm still very happy withthis little stove and have a few in my cart.     

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD