Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you know this model ?

fr Offline JayInox

• What Would MacGyver do?
Do you know this model ?
on: December 05, 2014, 10:53:16 PM
Hello,

I would like to date a model that my Swiss Army Knife Grandfather gave me  :climber:, in fact this knife has some peculiarities:

-   Pictured 1, we see that the logo is not the Swiss cross, and I do not think it is a model pre 1909 since it is so post 1921. The steel mattress mid-rounded is integrated cellidor in the front (which is the most beautiful effect) and the cellidor is more earthy than current models.
-   Pictured 4, the blade inscriptions are classic but on the back, photo 5, the first name of "Victoria" appears.
-    Pictured 8, the corkscrew is made from an old way, it looks like it is handmade.
-    Pictured 9, close-up on the logo and can opener, wearing a Swiss cross with PAT.
I feel that this is a model that incorporates the features of the old models, a sort of commemorative model but I do not know what year. This is just a guess, I think you know better find out.

This model in addition to a collection of model sentimental value.

:SAKnight::climber: I Love Multitools :climber::SAKnight:
Thanks For All

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Do you know this model ?
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:17:45 PM
Looks like a Spartan. No idea what the symble is.
Nate

SEND IT!

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:24:05 PM
Its a Spartan from the late 50's / early 60's

Nice Logo :) on a nice knife is it stamped Victoria on the reverse ? (Just saw point 4 :) )

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 11:30:31 PM
This comes from a time before Victorinox officially named most of their models, so technically a Model 234. Less technically I would call this a Spartan, some other collectors might call it a Standard due to the lack of T&T and bail. I would date this one to circa 1959 based on the features, give or take a year or so. The "S" logo on the front is probably some sort of advertising logo for some company, which started to become more common in the 1950s and 1960s - especially for Swiss companies.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:37:31 PM
Well, from the design I would have guessed that its either a chemical company or electronics/audio company. Since I'm pretty well versed when it comes to chemical companies and I have never seen that logo, my bet would be that its a electronics/audio company. Although not necessarily Swiss, as many large companies have/had their R n' D in Switzerland (Technics, Revox and JVC etc.)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

my Offline LoneWolf2014

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 02:21:16 AM
just love the old scale and tools...  :)

fr Offline JayInox

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 04:26:11 PM
Thank you all for your responses !  :mail:  ;)
Yes tools inside look like a Spartan without tweezers and toothpick... :climber:
The company logo is a good idea since it is often the Spartan model which is used to! I continue to ask on some forum, if I find the answer I communicate on this topic :tu:
Thanks For All

fr Offline JayInox

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 04:42:00 PM
On Jeroen's Victorinox Blog, that's have à timeline of Victorinox current tools

http://jeroensvictorinox.blogspot.fr/p/victorinox-tools.html

By elimination we can deduce that the date is from 1951 to 1961 like said Jaydar  :tu:
Thanks For All

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 05:02:51 PM
On Jeroen's Victorinox Blog, that's have à timeline of Victorinox current tools

http://jeroensvictorinox.blogspot.fr/p/victorinox-tools.html

By elimination we can deduce that the date is from 1951 to 1961 like said Jaydar  :tu:

There's a lot more to dating SAKs than what you can find on his blog. That's why it says under construction. A few  gaps and missing steps in SAK evolution there.  ;) Jeroen's a member here and most of that info was gathered here, our SAKwiki or Ninjai's SAAM site (victorinox.metodi.me)

And even that isn't complete. :ahhh

I've learned to trust jazzbass on these things. He put a lot of hours of research into it. :hatsoff:

fr Offline JayInox

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 05:50:37 PM
2 new pics (not appear on first... missnamed)

Thanks For All

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 03:38:16 AM

1959-1960, trust me on this. Pre-1958 this knife would have exposed rivets. 1958 the rear of the blade would say "Victoria Officier" instead of "Victoria Officer Suisse". Circa late 1960 this knife would have a thin aluminum spacer between the pen blade and the divider; this knife has a thick nickel silver one indicating that it's a bit older. There are a lot of minute details that are not documented that contribute to dating these knives.

BTW, this logo goes back a ways. Here's the same logo on a Spartan from the mid 1940s:

fr Offline JayInox

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 07:03:55 AM
1959-1960, trust me on this. Pre-1958 this knife would have exposed rivets. 1958 the rear of the blade would say "Victoria Officier" instead of "Victoria Officer Suisse". Circa late 1960 this knife would have a thin aluminum spacer between the pen blade and the divider; this knife has a thick nickel silver one indicating that it's a bit older. There are a lot of minute details that are not documented that contribute to dating these knives.

Thanks a lot for your expertise ! :tu: :2tu: :clap:

BTW, this logo goes back a ways. Here's the same logo on a Spartan from the mid 1940s:

(Image removed from quote.)
Do you know why there was this logo variant compared to the Victorinox Swiss shield? :SAKnight:
Thanks For All

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44