Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

While pretty and well made Victorinox MTs don't seem well used or carried.

Aloha · 182 · 12873

Poll

Why does your Vic MT sit?  What tool do you carry instead of this so called grail tool?

I carry a Swisstool  (any variant)
14 (12.7%)
I carry a Spirit  (any variant)
19 (17.3%)
I carry a Leatherman  (any variant)
66 (60%)
I carry a Gerber (any variant)
4 (3.6%)
Other
7 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 110

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I did vote for LM, based on the options available but I am sure there are more Victorinox Classics being actually carried, that all of LM, Gerber, SOG etc. products together...

As it was hinted, pliers based multitools are not really what Victorinox is famous for.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
I'd prefer it if Vic made something that was more Micra or Juice size. Those 2 aren't very close but either size would do for me.
On the other hand I think Vic's don't show use as much as other tools do. Most of my Vics barely show any signs that they were used no matter how reckless I get at times. At most they have scratches from sharpening.

Still the question is more than valid. Way too often people comment about how pretty Vic tools are and how they don't want to scratch them up. But then again there is a huge number of people who'll carry expensive folders, high end MTs and add an inexpensive slipjoint for "dirty" jobs.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
I agree Alan on a non locking spirit as would sell even my og wave for one and that is saying something  :salute:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
I agree Alan on a non locking spirit as would sell even my og wave for one and that is saying something  :salute:
Hear, hear...  :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
I choose the Swisstool for myself when it comes to BOBs, car tools, and the "what tool would you take if you could only have one MT to survive some life or death scenario with" game, and I don't hesitate to recommend the Swisstool and or Spirit to someone who wants a well-made pliers-based MT.  However, for my personal EDC needs, I find a three- or four-layer 91 mm SAK is sufficient, and I don't believe I would get enough added utility from regularly carrying a Swisstool or Spirit to justify the added weight and bulk.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Hear, hear...  :cheers: :cheers:

:salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

When Vic makes a nonlocking plainblade Spirit with a pocketclip I'll never carry anything else..  :salute:  The fit and finish of Vics MTs are far superior to LMs..  :tu:

I think that might be doable. At least the non locking plain blade with very little modification and maybe even without disassembly. Just some slight grinding around the locking notch. CaBob did say he'd try it out at some point as he has one that's screwed together but he might have forgotten. ;)

I just quickly looked over a Spirit and would agree.
With the tools I have here atm it would be hard to do it real clean though.
Disassembly would be better and you could add a clip at the same time.

Send me your tools and I'll try it out.  :pok:

If I was putting a clip on my Spirit, it would be at the plier end.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
I will soon get a sak, and hopefully some sort of spirit, I just want to get some first time, first hand experience to victronox or Wegner?
So is molding a spirit like putting a body kit on the said Ferrari? haha
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:06:05 PM by JBW1 »

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Other, of course ... :D

>:D

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
That's really cool. I'm ignorant to the sak ways, What's up with the plastic on the corkscrew? Keep you from drinking too much wine?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:19:40 PM by JBW1 »

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Neat! Way ahead of the lm mini driver huh. Does a Phillips one exist?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Neat! Way ahead of the lm mini driver huh. Does a Phillips one exist?

A Vic (3-D) Phillips mini-screwdriver does not exist per se.  However, IME the standard mini-screwdriver works very well as a flat (2-D) Phillips driver on appropriately sized Phillips screws.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
I have to wait to do the poll til I get to a PC.
The Spirit and Swisstool are nicely built multis. But, no OHO blade. Can't open the tools with gloves. No replaceable wire cutters. No bit exchanger. No diamond file. But even those aren't  a bid deal. Ok, some of them are, but the biggest deal breaker for them is, to damn slippery. I want to like them, I want to love them. Just can't.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:33:31 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Most i carry my Spirit. Great tool no matter what. Second comes LM.

Question on "What do you carry instead", makes me confused. Do i answer Vic that i carry most, or something i carry when Vic is not with me?

You answered perfectly you carry a Spirit.  If you didn't however carry a Vic Swisstool or Spirit or LM and instead a SAK then that would be the answer.

Now true the Spirit and Swisstool are up against LMs wide array of options but this isn't a competition.  It's merely a question of if the Swisstool or Spirit are so great why are other tools being carried. 

Ok how about this, so I bought my Wave after having a few MTs and I'm still using it.  I got a Surge and while I thought it would replace my Wave it didn't.  What did happen was the Surge became my work tool and the Wave my off day tool or my light day tool at work.  I have 100 tools and nearly every variant of the Swisstool and Spirit yet 2 tools are my go to tools vs those.  For me they just didn't cut it.   

@DKS you are probably spot on with your assessment of the classic being most used vs all other makers combined.  This however was about the so called grail MT the Spirit and Swisstool. 

For those that find a SAK to be their perfect tool great.  This makes a lot of sense and in no way takes away from the Swisstool or Spirit.  You all just aren't regular users of pliers and your SAK is the perfect tool for you. 

I saw a pattern develop among MT users and while many ( including me ) sing the praises of these wonderful tools many ( including me ) carry or EDC something entirely different. 

This in no way takes away from these tools.  I find them gorgeous and very capable but in no way would replace my go to LMs.  I have no issue with their shiny bodies or "damaging them".  I must reiterate that I use a Swisstool typically on Sundays and find it to be a perfect companion for that day. 

@Caranthanus that is such a sweet tool. 

50ft is right in that everyone should have a go at both the Swisstool and the Spirit.  They are exceptional tools. 

@STYX you nailed it

I look at the Vic Plier MTs as Ferraris and the LM offerings as American Muscle cars.  The offerings from Vic sure are pretty but they typically have low mileage while the LM offerings get to do what they were made to do.

There are no winners here lads, if you carry a MT or SAK or something that gets you thru the day then awesome regardless of maker.     

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:56:59 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
No love for gerber? :think:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I won my Spirit in Gustaphasmob's generous GAW and have been carrying it ever since. I wouldn't be able to afford to justify buying one at the price they are, but I love it. If it isn't a user then I won't keep it, so while the finish is nice and shiny for now, it won't be for long. I'd carry it everywhere if it wasn't a locker, but it does me proud at work.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
I used to think that the Sprit and Swisstool were too nice to use, but the more I use them the better I appreciate the quality of materials, finish and design.  The Spirit is definitely my favourite multi (from a choice of Supertool 300, Wave, Rebar, Kick, Crunch, Skeletool, Spirit and Swisstool).  The only thing I think that a Leatherman does better is the 3D phillips.

Also, there may be a bunch of factors at work.  To the general public, Leatherman = multi tool whereas Victorinox = Swiss army knife and Leatherman are the archetypal pliers based tool.  Maybe there's some economic patriotism at work, on a forum with a US majority.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I won my Spirit in Gustaphasmob's generous GAW and have been carrying it ever since. I wouldn't be able to afford to justify buying one at the price they are, but I love it. If it isn't a user then I won't keep it, so while the finish is nice and shiny for now, it won't be for long. I'd carry it everywhere if it wasn't a locker, but it does me proud at work.

Don't be surprised when the finish stands up to daily usage.  This is the message I personally have been preaching.  These tools while pretty can stand up to a real workout so if the tool works for you then take it to work. 

This is why the thread and question was posed.  If I could afford a Ferrari you better believe I'm driving the smurf out of it.

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
+1 to both the above posts.

I handled a Surge and a Supertool for the first time the other day, and compared to my Spirit they looked pretty crappy.

I'm in no doubt as to their popularity and utility, but the Supertool clumped and the Surge is an ugly beast.

I'm really glad to have my Spirit and I won't hesitate to use it.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Crappy  :pok: oho and diamond file do it for me,but I guess not as shinny or pretty as a spirit,I'll try one one day but expensive for a non UK legal carry and no clip  :-\

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Crappy  :pok: oho and diamond file do it for me,but I guess not as shinny or pretty as a spirit,I'll try one one day but expensive for a non UK legal carry and no clip  :-\

The price is the big factor really. I couldn't justify spending nearly £100 on an MT.

I only mean that the LM's look crappy compared to a Spirit which IMO is head and shoulders above looks wise.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice

The price is the big factor really. I couldn't justify spending nearly £100 on an MT.

I only mean that the LM's look crappy compared to a Spirit which IMO is head and shoulders above looks wise.

You need to do more than just handle a LM as out of all the mt's including a swisstool I used for trade work it was the lm's that worked the best IMHO but sometimes the best tool you have is your best  :tu: after 16 years of use I still highly rate the of wave as a great user mt  :salute:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Also, there may be a bunch of factors at work.  To the general public, Leatherman = multi tool whereas Victorinox = Swiss army knife and Leatherman are the archetypal pliers based tool.  Maybe there's some economic patriotism at work, on a forum with a US majority.

I see it like this:

Victorinox Advantages
  • Fit & Finish
  • Rust Resistance
  • Anecdotally, seem to be fewer reports of tool breakage/warranty usage.

Leatherman Advantages
  • Wider selection of pliers-based MTs
  • OHO blades (some models)
  • Diamond files (some models)
  • Replaceable wire cutters (some models)

Ergonomics comes down to personal preference, as do replaceable bits (fear of losing vs. ease of replacing & packing in one extra function).

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Do newer LM's rust ?   My original PST has never rusted and I've used it almost daily for twenty years .

Does some stainless steel actually rust ?

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Do newer LM's rust ?   My original PST has never rusted and I've used it almost daily for twenty years .

Does some stainless steel actually rust ?

Stainless steel does rust, nut the degree depends on the grade. For example early stainless steel guns were a nightmare as they rusted very quickly.

I've heard much about rusty Leathermans but not actually seen a rusty one myself.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Newer, yes, they start to get rust spots even from sweaty hands. Or if left in the leather sheath in the car for too long from the moisture in the air. Victorinox steel fairs much better in this respect. I haven't had any problems with those.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Own Spirit X, Swiss Champ and few smaller Vic models. They sit in the box somewhere not because I keep them as shelf queens but because I couldn't care less about them and carry and use LMs instead.

What does that make me on this forum, a heretic?  >:D

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:09:22 PM by babola »
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Own Spirit X, Swiss Champ and few smaller Vic models. They sit in the box somewhere not because I keep them as shelf queens but because I couldn't care less about them and carry and use LMs instead.

What does that make me on this forum, a heretic?  >:D

Neh, we respect all opinions, no matter how wrong they are. :P

I own three plier based Vics, two Spirits and a Swisstool (all X), we won't count the SAKs here. :facepalm:

Leathermans? Closing in on 30 I think. They were what drew me in in all of this plier people universe and are my favorites by far. Heck, the race for the winner of the mid size multitool king is such a tight one between the Spirit and the Wave for me is won by the Spirit by a small margin. (Yes, I'm one of the kooky ones who rate the Wave higher than the Charge :fugly: ) But yeah, the minimum maintenance the Spirit requires, the way everything clicks into place, the utility and tool density just won me over. And while they are pretty, they are also pretty much bombproof. ;) I broke 3 Leathermans so far, the Vics are still going strong.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%