Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Work Boots

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Work Boots
on: December 09, 2014, 08:20:53 PM
I know a lot of guys here are hard workers who spend a lot of time on their feet. What do you guys wear for work boots?

The Timberlands I wear for work have to be the least comfortable things ever, and being on your feet in them 7 hours a day is not fun. I think I have 2 or 3 insoles in them to make them tolerable.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer to keep to the classic work boot style.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Work Boots
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:27:39 PM
Caterpillars, Lafuma (I do not know if they make steel toe cap shoes)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:38:40 PM
I had a $20 pair of crappy boots and went for a pair of red wings, worst investment I made, after three days I took them back, I was in so much pain! So put the $20 pair back on and was in heaven.. Now if your going to make an investment on a good pair I would say Carolinas, a little pricy but I had them for over six years and were still good but I lost them while moving, so pissed! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:40:27 PM
Timberland Pro's and in general Timberland has always been good to me and my feet.  I do use Backpacking/Trekking shoes as well and they do a good job at keeping my feet dry and my back from not hurting after a long day at work.

I walk on average 5-12 miles and up and down ladders all day.  I walk across roofs and on grass, concrete, asphalt, gravel, dirt, and inside as well so my shoe must be versatile.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:43:17 PM
Timberland Pro's and in general Timberland has always been good to me and my feet.  I do use Backpacking/Trekking shoes as well and they do a good job at keeping my feet dry and my back from not hurting after a long day at work.

I walk on average 5-12 miles and up and down ladders all day.  I walk across roofs and on grass, concrete, asphalt, gravel, dirt, and inside as well so my shoe must be versatile.   

I have the most basic timberlands they make, so I suppose that may be the issue. It feels like there is nothing to the footbed, like my feet are just on the sole which has zero give to it. When walking a lot, especially on tar or cement, it's almost jarring.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:50:37 PM
I'll say those Carolinas were good on everything, eight hours in field, then when I changed jobs I had to spend ten hours a day on solid concrete and were still comfy.. JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:52:54 PM
I'll say those Carolinas were good on everything, eight hours in field, then when I changed jobs I had to spend ten hours a day on solid concrete and were still comfy.. JR

I've heard great things about the Carolinas, my father and grandfather swear by Chippewas.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 08:56:28 PM

I've heard great things about the Carolinas, my father and grandfather swear by Chippewas.
My cousin said the same, but he had those HUGE sole logging boots, too big for me! Just a standard 8" pair was fine for me.
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 08:56:44 PM

I have the most basic timberlands they make, so I suppose that may be the issue. It feels like there is nothing to the footbed, like my feet are just on the sole which has zero give to it. When walking a lot, especially on tar or cement, it's almost jarring.
Insoles are good also good socks. 

I like hiking and backpacking shoes for the very reason they were designed to handle miles of terrain.  Basic work boots style I've HEARD were comfortable are Red Wings.

Wolverine, Caterpillar, and Doc Marten all have some great shoes as well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:58:20 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Insoles are goodalso good socks. 

I like hiking and backpacking shoes for the very reason they were designed to handle miles of terrain.  Basic work boots style I've HEARD were comfortable are Red Wings.

Wolverine, Caterpillar, and Doc Marten all have some great shoes as well.
Hands down, that's one area you don't go cheap on, I used to get the gel ones.
JR

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:08:53 PM
That's what I'm using now, Dr scholls I believe. I actually put those over a pair of the regular insoles out of a pair of very well broken in Nikes.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:34 PM
Even the best shoes have life expectancy.  I'd imagine getting good insoles helps to an extend but if the inner part of you boot is compressed so much then even those may not help much. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 09:15:24 PM
That's what I'm using now, Dr scholls I believe. I actually put those over a pair of the regular insoles out of a pair of very well broken in Nikes.
I'm going to have to get a new pair or change a few things around, I just got a new pair of shoes so they gotta get broken in first.. JR

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 09:22:33 PM
Even the best shoes have life expectancy.  I'd imagine getting good insoles helps to an extend but if the inner part of you boot is compressed so much then even those may not help much.

The boots are getting pretty worn out, but they were just as solid when new, I just put the older Nike insoles in because I figured it would be a bit more comfortable since they were already formed to my feet.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 09:24:27 PM

The boots are getting pretty worn out, but they were just as solid when new, I just put the older Nike insoles in because I figured it would be a bit more comfortable since they were already formed to my feet.

That might be an issue also.  They are worn in already and the insoles might be ready to go.  Your feet will tell you when it's time, they don't lie. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 09:30:33 PM
Luckily I have until May before that job starts up again, so I have time to sort myself out. Aloha you also have me tempted to get a small fixed blade to try for work as well, you're dangerous :cheers:

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 09:37:44 PM
Here is what I regularly wear.
Danner fort Lewis
Danner Acadia
Danner USMC RAT
Asolo fugitive
Asolo Sherpa GV

-AdmSlc

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:45 PM
I wear these. German Army issue.

http://www.haix.de/haix-airpower-p9-desert

They are made not far from me so I got them in the factory store for a lot less. Very satisfied.

EDIT: Found the page in English for them.

http://www.haix.co.uk/military/129/airpower-p9-desert?c=11
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:48:14 PM by enki_ck »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:39 PM
These are what I wear daily, and they are very comfortable. I tried on probably 6 or more pairs between $100-$200, and liked these the most.

These boots here are the most comfortable things I've ever had on my feet! I've had them for probably 7 years now, and did wear them daily for a few years.

Sent from my Galaxy Mega.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 01:44:45 AM
Ecco.....unbelievably comfortable and durable.  I go through a pair every 2 years due to wearing out the soles.  I was on my 3rd new pair when I thought it was a shame to let the old pairs rot in the garage.  I sent them in for resoleing  and they came back as good as new, for a third of the price of new.  I can get (according to Ecco) up to 3 resoles per pair.  That's about 8 years per pair.  I'm good to go until retirement......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 02:09:36 AM
Been through 2 pairs of Georgia Boots. I love them

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 02:26:07 AM
Best pair of work boots I ever had was actually a pair from Sears, their own brand called Roebuckers believe it or not.  Those things were like slippers after a little bit, and wore like iron.  I wore that pair for over three years, and last year finally replaced them with another pair of the same that are still going strong.  Best $60 I ever spent IMO.  I tried Timberland, Wolverines, etc.  That Sears pair beat them all in terms of longevity and comfort.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 07:50:13 AM
Luckily I have until May before that job starts up again, so I have time to sort myself out. Aloha you also have me tempted to get a small fixed blade to try for work as well, you're dangerous :cheers:

For a neck knife I'd really recommend the CRKT Minimalist and for a sheath knife well there are so many to choose from.  I'm really happy with my choices so far and it is surprisingly easy to carry a sheath fixed blade.  Here in Cali you can carry one as long as it is in full view. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 03:44:16 PM
Ducttapetech likes Justin Boots. Ducttapetech boots are a year old. Ducttapetech uses these boots for work, camping and hunting.
Also, Ducttapetech agrees with Aloha post.
Yes Ducttapetech took a pic of his boots.
Ducttapetech will facepalm now.

uploadfromtaptalk1418222645052.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1418222645052.jpg (Filesize: 87.99 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 08:23:49 PM

I think Wolverines are pretty comfortable even though they seem to wear out quickly. Dr. Martens are hard to beat once they are broken in (that takes FOREVER  :facepalm:). Right now, my choice are Magnums. Even though they aren't heavy duty in the sense, they are very comfortable for wearing 10-12 hours a day and very good in rain and snow. I had a pair that were defective. I called Magnum and they told me to send them back in for a warranty exchange. They sent me a brand new pair of boots no charge  :tu:.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 12:44:16 AM
Ive owned 2 pairs of these timberland pros and would buy again. Truly water proof in 5 in. Of water. Puncture resistant soles. My ankles suck, so I like the lace ups
WIN_20141210_164005.JPG
* WIN_20141210_164005.JPG (Filesize: 121.66 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 12:45:13 AM
Nice boots!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 12:46:32 AM
All of the sudden, Ducttapetech has the song "who bed has your boots been under" stuck in his head.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 12:47:52 AM

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 12:51:37 AM
What's up with Justin boots now days? I had a pair that lasted years, went and got a new pair and they felt like fake leather! I guess they to started making them over seas??
Where does ducttape find good boots for ducttapes feet

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD