Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

portable CB radio 502

Hero Member Posts: 632
portable CB radio
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:18:49 AM »
I wanted a CB radio in my car, but my father would have most certainly killed me, but, as with most teens, I have found a loophole. Or is it better put as jerry-rigged a loophole?
4.0AH battery plus ammo can plus dads old CB radio = a good emergency communications system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 12,266 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: portable CB radio
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:29:57 AM »
That's cute!
I had a cb in my little car back in the day, one day my motor was over heating so I snuck up behind a truck and started drifting, well he was talking to someone and he said he's got a rabbit up his butt, this guys crazy! So I jumped on and said well this rabbits got ears! He was like omg, he couldn't believe it, so I explained and he said to hang out and be careful and watch his lights, if they started lighting up to back off,,
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 02:17:45 AM »
I built it because these are making a comeback with my friends, and I was the only one that didn't have one, so I had to build one

No Life Club Posts: 4,691
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:24:13 AM »
I had one in my first car. Before mobile phones were affordable and smaller than a briefcase  :whistle:

All my friends had one to. I still have it on a shelf stored, it's a modified Tristar 777.
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 39,865
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
CB radios can be quite fun and are a great way to find out what is going on while on the road :tu: We don't use them going back and forth to work anymore because of traffic apps on our phones but listening to some of the truck drivers was entertaining sometimes :D We had one (my Dad had it) that was very strong and had been turned up to really boost the signal :ahhh :D

Head Turd Polisher Administrator He who has the most nuts, wins! Posts: 58,278 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »
I didn't know CB's were coming back.  That's pretty cool.

I have this one wired into the center console in my Jeep:

It's a Cobra 75 and I like it because everything is in the handset/microphone, and there's no head unit to stick out.  When I need it I open the center console and pull it out, when I don't it tucks away and no one even knows its there.

Unfortunately I can't use it at the moment- too many underground parking lots have destroyed my antenna, so I'm screwed until I replace it.   :facepalm:

Def

NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!

NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY!
Hero Member Posts: 658
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:56:21 AM »
I've got an old Cobra 25 LTD with weather in my big ole Blazer. With a Li'l Will up in front of the roof rack. Admittedly, not much chatter to and from work here in New England, but I catch something sometimes. And of course, those Mic jockeys on channel 6 will at least confirm you are receiving. Skipping all the way from Alabama  whatnot.

I get  lot of activity from places like Puerto Rico on channel 9, it must not be the emergency channel there. It went away for weeks following the hurricane, but is slowly returning to its previous prominence.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:59:09 AM »
In terms of "worst case scenario", fm band talkies and cell phones require a lot more overhead and infrastructure to work. I like them for what they are, of course, but I still admire the old CB and my weather channels.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:01:09 AM »
I wanted a CB radio in my car, but my father would have most certainly killed me, but, as with most teens, I have found a loophole. Or is it better put as jerry-rigged a loophole?(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
4.0AH battery plus ammo can plus dads old CB radio = a good emergency communications system!

Nice kit, TJ!!
Hero Member Posts: 573
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »
Love my CB radios.  Been into it for decades.  We still have several base stations on the air in my area.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 16,120 Little to the right...
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 02:10:54 AM »
Just about everyone around here that off-roads has a CB in their rig.  When I'm not wheeling, I usually put it on the truckers channel (channel 1 here), as it's great for updates especially in the winter.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 05:53:23 AM »
I’m planning on taking it with me tomorrow due to a first snow combined with crappy Iowa drivers

No Life Club Posts: 1,560 Duck!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 05:59:07 AM »
Used to chat on a handheld CB many years ago, until my antenna got snapped off. I put the radio in a drawer and just never went back to it. It's probably still around somewhere, but it's quite old at this point and who knows if I can find a proper antenna replacement.
No Life Club Posts: 3,720 Smurf it!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:34 PM »
I've got one in the roof console of my defender, it's been useful on off road trips. I don't think anyone uses them on the road anymore in the UK

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Newbie Posts: 28
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »
 :D so how does the People here will use there CB Radio when there is no Fuel to Power there Car up?   :think:  :rofl:
Hero Member Posts: 573
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »
:D so how does the People here will use there CB Radio when there is no Fuel to Power there Car up?   :think:  :rofl:
???

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 10:37:51 PM »
LOWW

So far, we do have fuel to power the cars and trucks. Alternately, some people may be using CBs at home as a base station. They can plug into electricity there with necessary power conversion.

If electricity goes out, some folks might have a generator, but if that fuel also runs out - I guess then it will be smoke signals, paige boys, and mountain top torch pavilions

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $72.13
PayPal Fees: $4.53
Net Balance: $67.60
Below Goal: $207.40
Site Currency: USD
25% 
January Donations

Community Links